Thread: Sports

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by WorldTravel69

2024 Summer Olympics

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/06/sp...ympic-bid.html

Most Americans that I know react to the Olympics on par with a visit to the dentist. A shrug of the shoulder, who cares? But somehow when the Games gets going, that's all they talk about. That's why NBC agreed to spent $7. 75 billion for the next 6 Olympics up to 2032.

Today, we will know which American city will be chosen to fight for the nomination of host city for 2024 Olympic Games. Los Angeles, Boston, San Fransisco & Washington.. 2 cities from each coast, what happen to Middle America? Maybe, the nomination of American football as one of the competitive sports will elicit more than a yawn from states like Texas or Nebraska.

Well, on a personal level, I am hoping that Los Angeles will get nominated again as it will make it easier for me to attend the games. Watching on TV is very comfortable and you get to see all the sports, but it is nothing like attending the games personally. Bangkok actually can be a great host city. There is no shortage of affordable hotels rooms unlike many cities, and public transportation will be more than ready by 2028. We can only hope.

Ryder Cup, Americans do not lose well.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...tson-ryder-cup

In sports, the difference between winning & losing is sometimes just due to whether it is raining or shining. Or which way the wind is blowing. So while disappointed if you lose, you just have to show some class. It is just not your day. And you win & lose as a team. Mikelson did a Rodman. I say that despite Rodman winning many titles, I think you know what I mean.

The rest of the world is winning more in sports because they have caught up, economically and therefore, sporting as well.

The article relate to what happen to what is happening in American politics and culture. Quite funny, and quite true.

Quote Originally Posted by RevBS  [View Original Post]
    Well, it is true that they did not play in Austin. So why play in Arlington except for the lure of the dollar? It did not work out.

Texas gets the cream of Texas players, whilst the rest scramble over the spilled milk. But things are changing. Even perennial loser, Baylor is now very respectable in the Big 12. No longer just a Bible and track & field school.

Mack Brown took Texas to the top over a span of about 20 years, but was seeing his legacy tarnished after 3 very un-Texas seasons. Texas tried to show its progressive nature by hiring a black coach, Charlie Strong. Interesting, we shall see. Maybe, another Clarence Thomas?

Yes, Texas and A&M do not play anymore. WTF.
    AT&T stadium holds more people, is more prestigious and technically, is a neutral site.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=36769

Like BBM stated, UT is in the midst of a changeover. Strong is a good coach, but he isn't a schmoozer and the Tea Sippers like their schmoozers. Strong is also a disciplinarian and Brown was not. A&M has been getting its share of the cream of Texas for years and they are doing even better since joining the SEC.

UT doesn't want to play A&M any more because they scared. And no, I am not a fan of A&M, I don't even like them.

How can Texas lose at home? Tell me it's not true.

Well, it is true that they did not play in Austin. So why play in Arlington except for the lure of the dollar? It did not work out.

Texas gets the cream of Texas players, whilst the rest scramble over the spilled milk. But things are changing. Even perennial loser, Baylor is now very respectable in the Big 12. No longer just a Bible and track & field school.

Mack Brown took Texas to the top over a span of about 20 years, but was seeing his legacy tarnished after 3 very un-Texas seasons. Texas tried to show its progressive nature by hiring a black coach, Charlie Strong. Interesting, we shall see. Maybe, another Clarence Thomas?

Yes, Texas and A&M do not play anymore. WTF.

Great Game for the Texas. California Rivalry

The two states went at it again yesterday. Texas is in the middle of transition with the hiring of a new coach who is getting rid of all the dead wood. UCLA was supposed to win easy. But then UCLA's star quarterback goes down in the 1st quarter. Texas starts blitzing the backup quarterback to great effect. UCLA finally adapts but Texas is still front with 3 minutes to go. Then UCLA runs the old Stop-and-Go (yes just like you ran it on the playground) to go ahead. Back up quarterback gets carried off on the teams shoulders at the end of the game. Now that was fun. Best game that I have seen on the college level in a long while.

We get to do as it all over again in 2016 as UCLA plays Texas A&M in 2016 at Reliant. Let's see if UCLA's Mora can recruit. Some of these players were from the old regime.

But in truth even though I am a UCLA alum, USC is the West Coast football brand. USC has the five star recruits. All the other West Coast schools try to do it with three star recruits and it always shows up in the bowl games. We need USC to be good if the West Coast is going to get any recognition. The West Coast usually has good teams but not great teams.

Great Game for the Texas. California Rivalry

The two states went at it again yesterday. Texas is in the middle of transition with the hiring of a new coach who is getting rid of all the dead wood. UCLA was supposed to win easy. But then UCLA's star quarterback goes down in the 1st quarter. Texas starts blitzing the backup to great effect. UCLA finally adapts but Texas is still front with 3 minutes to go. Then UCLA runs the old Stop-and-Go (yes just like you ran it on the playground) to go ahead. Back up quarterback gets carried off on the teams shoulders at the end of the game. Now that was fun. Best game that I have seen on the college level in a long while.

We get to do as it all over again in 2016 as UCLA plays Texas A&M in 2016 at Reliant. Let's see if UCLA's Mora can recruit. Some of these players were from the old regime.

But in truth even though I am a UCLA alum, USC is the West Coast football brand. USC has the five star recruits. All the other West Coast schools try to do it with three star recruits and it always shows up in the bowl games. We need USC to be good if the West Coast is going to get any recognition. The West Coast usually has good teams but not great teams.

Dying to know what happen?

The men's tennis singles final at the 2014 US Open was a highly anticipated affair with 2 new virgins to finals of Grand Slam events. But the action prove to be as anti-climatic as my last bedroom adventure. Nishikori was too tight to be able to take full cuts at the ball, the way he had taken out Wawarinka & Djokovic. Cilic was the opposite, cool & unflappable as he serve & hit winners with unassuming ease. Nothing in his prior history indicated that this was coming, but we now have to take him as a serious contender for a top 5 ranking. Nishikori as well. Welcome, boys.

Interesting side note was the 2 coaches, Goran Ivanisevic & Michael Chang who fought each other many times a couple of decades ago. Their style of play were evident in their proteges' action on the court.

What a great US Tennis Open.

Whilst it has been a magical run between Ferderer & Nadal for the #1 spot, the last few years has seen Djokovic and then Murray joining them in the fight. Tennis fans have never had it so good.

Is a new era emerging? Definitely! Monday will see the men singles final contested by Nishikori of Japan and Cilic of Croatia. They knock out Djokovic and Federer respectively. A coming of age for the eimerging young stars, a passing of the torch you might say. Djokovic is actually still in his prime, and so is Murray. They will be around for a while. And I am sure Nadal will resurrect himself a few more times.

Nishikori was particularly impressive as he outhit both Wawarinka & Djokovic in Sahara heat conditions. Very few people gave him a chance as he had endured two 5 setters prior to Djokovic but it was Djokovic who was wilting in the noon starting match. Yes, TV call the shots. Playing at high noon. Cilic is a very talented player but he had it easy with Federer who simply ran out of gas.

The Djokovic reign begins!

Yes, I know Djokovic has been #1 before, but I believe he will be dominating for a while after a pulsating unforgettable win at Wimbledon over Roger Federer.

A great final but that damn 4th set! Djokovic serving for the match at 5-3, and 40-15(?), cruising as Federer had been wildly going for broke most of the set. Djokovic got a little careless there, and Federer was quick to take advantage of the disbelieving Djokovic. Federer had served big time throughout the match, and he continued this in the fifth set as the score went to 4-4. It was anybody's match at this juncture. Djokovic serve, and was behind 0-30(?) but came back to make it 5-4. As I sat there awaiting for more thrills, the match was suddenly over as Federer must have run out of gas. Physically, mentally or both?

Federer is so beautiful to watch, his strokes and movement are so natural & fluid. They seem so effortless, and I believe that this is why he has never suffer any long periods away from the game. I watched with joy and amazement at a young Federer many moons ago at Roland Garros before he put it all together mentally, and knew that he had all the shots to be a champion. And yes, he did, and went on to be the greatest champion in tennis.

Wimbledon, a new gunslinger takes Nadal down.

The World Cup has certainly take the spotlight from Wimbledon, but this story is just too good to overlook.

Australian's Nick Kyrgois, the 144th ranked men tennis player upset Rafael Nadal yesterday 7-6, 5-7, 7-6, 6-3. Just over 19 years old, he is the #1 Junior ranking player in the world, and that is why he was able to get into the draw. But this is the 3rd round, he has already beaten 2 other notable players on his way. The Junior singles also started this week, so it remains to be seen whether he will be playing both. If he beats the Canadian Raonic tonight, he will have to make a decision. What a story if he continues and wins both the Senior and Junior Men's Singles! Remember the name or have it tattooed if you are Australian. For your men tennis drought is over and you can reclaim your rightful place in the tennis world.

At 6. 4 ft, he has the long wing span that reminds you of Del Potro, but he is more light footed and moves more fluidly. When you beat Nadal, it means your groundstrokes must be big. Obviously, he serve well, too. Add his calm demeanour, and you can see that he is going to be something special. Australia have been talking about the other young player Tomic for about 3 years, but so far, he has only shown flashes of fulfilling his potential.

It just seems like yesterday that Nadal was the young colt. I still remember him at the same age, bouncing with energy at the coin toss. You just cannot stop the clock and the changes they bring.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rev BS For This Post:

Nadal Undoubtedly the Best Ever on Clay

Quote Originally Posted by RevBS  [View Original Post]
    Well, I have to admit that I did have some doubts about Nadal beating the younger man, Djokovic. Why? Well, his game is built on speed and quickness. You could see that his body is thicker and his legs heavier. And all those injuries, they have to have taken their toll. And of course, there is that Serbian guy, no slouch in the mental toughness himself and possessing the biggest array of deep shots from the baseline. And the first set confirm my assessment. Yet, I did not feel any fulfillment.

Traitor, I should be ashamed of myself. After all, Nadal is the Supreme Emperor of Roland Garros and his reign is not yet finished. There is still room for at least 1 or 2 more clowns. All that determination, you could feel that intensity in the rays that emanated from his end of the court. And Djokovic must have felt their heat, too, as his game slowly but surely unraveled. He put on a brave fight, but it was not the epic showdown that we anticipated.

So what are the odds of Nadal overtaking Federer in Grand Slam crowns? What will the final figure be? That young colt whom I first laid my eyes on in Indian Wells so many moons ago. Little did I realize that was seeing the greatest tennis player of all time.
    Nadal is undoubtedly the best ever on clay and I also think the best ever. There will be those who disagree because Federer still has the most Grand Slams, but I base my judgement on the match the two played at Wimbledon several years ago. That was one of the best matches (if not the best) ever played, and Nadal proved that he was not just a clay court phenom, but could play, and beat, the best on any surface.

Tres3.

Roland Garros

Well, I have to admit that I did have some doubts about Nadal beating the younger man, Djokovic. Why? Well, his game is built on speed and quickness. You could see that his body is thicker and his legs heavier. And all those injuries, they have to have taken their toll. And of course, there is that Serbian guy, no slouch in the mental toughness himself and possessing the biggest array of deep shots from the baseline. And the first set confirm my assessment. Yet, I did not feel any fulfillment.

Traitor, I should be ashamed of myself. After all, Nadal is the Supreme Emperor of Roland Garros and his reign is not yet finished. There is still room for at least 1 or 2 more clowns. All that determination, you could feel that intensity in the rays that emanated from his end of the court. And Djokovic must have felt their heat, too, as his game slowly but surely unraveled. He put on a brave fight, but it was not the epic showdown that we anticipated.

So what are the odds of Nadal overtaking Federer in Grand Slam crowns? What will the final figure be? That young colt whom I first laid my eyes on in Indian Wells so many moons ago. Little did I realize that was seeing the greatest tennis player of all time.

Don't forget about the bullfight!

The maestro himself, El Toro aka Raphael Nadal vs Npvak Djokovic. Wish I was at ringside. Drink alot of water, you will be dehydrated.

Not on AP!

Quote Originally Posted by EasyGo  [View Original Post]
    I'm going to assume that you were not serious with your America Cup comment as interest in it is far below even soccer.
    I thought from the reaction to America's Cup, all these guys were seasoned sailors, and knew a thing or two about sailing.

Posting Limitations