Thread: Sports

+ Submit Report
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by WorldTravel69
    Professional soccer is still a second-tier sport in the USA and is likely to remain that way pretty much forever. Most of the interest is in American football (aka real football), basketball, baseball, and hockey, both professional and college. No attention is left for soccer or the other Argentinian favorites of field hockey, rugby, and polo. The only sports where there's much overlap of interest is basketball and tennis but I suspect there are few Argentinians that are more interested in the LNB than soccer and interest in tennis in the US isn't high these days because US players other than the Williams sisters have largely sucked for a number of years. On the board, among Americans, my guess is that the largest group are those that actively dislike soccer. I'm more interested in most and I'd be hard pressed to name more than a couple of players on the USA team.

The USA will need a miracle to advance to the knockout round and could easily fail to win a single point given the teams in Group G. Money is 4-1 against the US moving out of the group stage and 250-1 against winning. That's hardly "in the mix" nor likely to increase interest in the USA. Even the coach says there is no chance to win. That might be motivation but the US is inexperienced and only 1 of 8 defenders has any WC experience. Heat and humidity could be a wild card given that FIFA decided to schedule games in the north to start at noon and 4 pm which sacrifices the quality of the football for increased TV viewership. It's also likely to leave Portugal and Germany a bit more tired than other teams after the group stage and, perhaps, could screw things up enough that the US slips through. But is seems extremely unlikely.

I'm going to assume that you were not serious with your America Cup comment as interest in it is far below even soccer.

Eduardo, once a Gooner, always a Gooner.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...l-9499862.html

Nice globalization soccer story, Eduardo will sing both Croatian and Brazilian anthems at the World Cup Opening game.

Oh, that's soccer for you American dinosaurs who still do not not know what a cross or inswinger is. But I jest, USA is right in the mix, further asking the perplexing question why AP has no full World Cup discussion going underway. Yes, I know you guys are into the high end of America Cup Sailing with boats that look like space ships, and costs that are national budgets of developing countries. Yes, I know the USA won, but wasn't the crew all Kiwis. Oh, ok, that is globalization, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Troyster  [View Original Post]
    Are we going to see a Brasil v Argentina final? Hope so.
    A definite possibility. Keep in mind that no team from Europe has ever won the WC when played in South America. Plus Spain, Germany, Holland and Italy aren't as strong as four years ago.

Don't listen to 'ol REV. He's pissed that China didn't make the 32.

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Troyster  [View Original Post]
    Chile v Colombia. Or South Korea v Iran. Hope Uruguay goes out the 1st round. Time for a new order. Brazil leadership should self immolate for their disastrous inability to have their stadiums ready. How can they stand there at the Opening Ceremony, have they no shame? Maybe they should be naked along with Blatter & Plantini. Faces of blatant corporate corruption written there.

Wc

Capitalism eat its Young.

Http: www. Forbes. Com / sites / dandiamond /2014/06/02/ dan-marino-sues-nfl-says-he-was-hurt-by-football-concussions /.

One of the America's storied quaterback icons, Dan Marino sues the NFL for head injuries.

Within the realm of American capitalism, there are many facets to this controversy. Greedy owners, ungrateful players, integrity, personal choices & responsibilities, safety and working conditions, health Insurance, Obama care. Take your pick.

Change, as they say, is a-coming.

what were you doing when you were 11?

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/1...-us-women-open

I was grade 5, worried about my future! I was already failing arithmetics, something was missing from my DNA. Playing sports was generally frowned upon if not outright prohibited. But I was reading non-stop, so was walking around in dreamland. Yet to come, puberty and masturbation.

I think some of you starting sex around 7?

A showdown, it was not.

Did you have any money on the underdog, Wawarinka? I did not. I wanted to enjoy the match. Wawrinka came out with all cylinders going, unfortunately because of injury, Nadal was not. Nadal, the ever great champion and gentleman, hang on to give the fans & Wawrinka a measure of respect to the match. Nevertheless, Wawrinka, because of his scintillating play for two weeks, was a worthy champion.

The anticipation for a heavyweight slugging match did not materialize. Disappointed, but what can you do? It was like a dry fuck, where you are pumping forever, but the surge never comes.

Well, it was not to be.

In a highly anticipated semi-final between two of the all-time greats, Rafael Nadal easily defeated Roger Federer in 3 straight sets. Physically, Federer just did not have it. The explosiveness was not there, the serve was missing, he was always half a step late, and his flat ground strokes hit the tape time after time. Or was it mentally? Nadal's intensity seem to radiate laser-like beams that seem to wilt Federer by the second. Was he already defeated before he even step onto the court?

I picked Nadal to beat Wawrinka, after all, he 12-0 lifetime. Nadal is my favorite player, but I always enjoy seeing the underdog's dream come true. If Wawrinka plays to his potential, I would be happy to see him win.

Watching the Women's Final now, which is like being at the dentist. Agonizing, usually, nobody wants to win.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rev BS For This Post:

Wawrinka did his part.

Federer was immense in his win over Murray in the quarter finals. But now his old nemesis, Nadal is back to haunt him in the semi-finals. But is this Nadal, the same Nadal of old? My take is, not quite. So if Federer can conquer his own demons, he has a good chance. He need to gamble, go for winners, not get involve in long rallies that will take a toll on his aging body.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rev BS For This Post:

Swiss beats #1, Djokovic in Australian Open

No, it's not Roger Federer. It's the other Swiss, Stanislas Wawarinka who came out ahead in a pulsating 5 set marathon, the last set going 9-7. Wawainka has been in the top 20 for quite a few years, rising to a high of #8 in 2013. But of course, he has always been in Federer's shadow. 2013 saw him showing glimpses of breaking into tennis top elite group, he lost twice to Djokovic in 5 setters in Australia and US Opens. And now, the breakthrough and the spotlight. Very possible, a Federer / Wawrinka Australian Open. The Swiss will be in orgasmic tennis heaven.

Wawarinka's rise surprise me but nevertheless, very welcoming. A few years ago, I watched him at the French Open from very close proximity in one of the side courts at Roland Garros. His power is immense, the sound of ball impacting was scary. I thought he was going to break a racquet or the ball. He does not have the elegance and shot artistry of Federer. Wawarinka is just pure industrial strength, his one handed backhand is his signature shot.

Now that Federer is in a slow decline, I think he and Wawarinka will make an effort to lead Switzerland to their first ever Davis Cup. Together, they won the doubles at the Beijing Olympics. So as a team, they should be the favorites for the Davis Cup the next few years.

Football today

Hi I am in recoleta watching nfl in my rented apt... Anyone interested in watching today with me give me a call and come on over, I am near juncal and azcuenaga corner pm me for phone or pm me yous and ill call.

The world is coming to an end.

Sell everything, evacuate to a turkish bath / massage joint.

Baylor won the Big 12 football conference. Beating the still proud, but now impotent Texas Longhorns 30-10 in the season finale. Baylor, who could not even win a quarter most seasons prior to this year is now a conference champion. Mack Brown put on a pretty face, and said that he was resigning. Proving that nothing last forever, and every dog will have its day. Kind of similar to the shit happening in America, I guess.

Like a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    How about that Del Potro! Dominated Nadal yesterday with an astonishing display of power and control. Reminiscent of his US Open victory against Federer, though even better. Against Federer Delpo hit out on everything and they all stayed in the court, against Nadal he controlled the points and rarely gave Nadal any hope.

If Delpo can get more consistency in his game and stay healthy he could vie for the top spot.

Waddaya say Black Shirt?
    We knew it was there, but to see it was like winning the lottery. Shot after shot, Nadal did not know what the hell was going on. He hoped that it was a passing storm, alas, the deluge did not end until the match came to an end. Nadal was still quite fresh, really, he never was allow to do his thing, Del Potro's shots so overwhelm him.

Can Del Potro do it again. He has to, for today, none other that the relentless Djokovic is there to face him. Will give myself a Chao Praya treat if it happens.

Delpo!!

How about that Del Potro! Dominated Nadal yesterday with an astonishing display of power and control. Reminiscent of his US Open victory against Federer, though even better. Against Federer Delpo hit out on everything and they all stayed in the court, against Nadal he controlled the points and rarely gave Nadal any hope.

If Delpo can get more consistency in his game and stay healthy he could vie for the top spot.

Waddaya say Black Shirt?

Posting Limitations