Thread: Sports

+ Submit Report
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by WorldTravel69

I figured that out

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleHorn  [View Original Post]
    The lyrics are about the Queen: God save our gracious Queen. Long live our noble Queen. God Save the Queen. Etc. Therefore, everyone singing the British National Anthem are singing about the Queen and the hope that God will look out for her and save her and the country. Therefore, it seems appropriate that she not sing about herself. When Charles becomes King, the lyrics will change to God save the King.
    I had just never thought about it until I saw everybody singing and her not. Not having grown up with a Sovereign but rather growing up in a sovereign country where even the Pres sings the national anthem it just seemed a little odd until I figured it out.

We kind of have the same thing with Hail to the Chief, but nobody ever sings it.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    I guess it would be bad form for her to join in. What would she sing after all? God save me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7YnOpOhu3c.
    The lyrics are about the Queen: God save our gracious Queen. Long live our noble Queen. God Save the Queen. Etc. Therefore, everyone singing the British National Anthem are singing about the Queen and the hope that God will look out for her and save her and the country. Therefore, it seems appropriate that she not sing about herself. When Charles becomes King, the lyrics will change to God save the King.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleHorn  [View Original Post]
    We noticed it here because as soon as the ENGLISH guy came on board and showed you what you was doing wrong. You started winning.
    I guess it would be bad form for her to join in. What would she sing after all? God save me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7YnOpOhu3c.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]
    I followed the entire event.

Absolutely one of sport's greatest comebacks, especially considering they started the races with a 2 point penalty.

Unfortunately, it will go unnoticed by most of the world.

Jax.
    We noticed it here because as soon as the ENGLISH guy came on board and showed you what you was doing wrong. You started winning.

New boats

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson  [View Original Post]

Absolutely one of sport's greatest comebacks, especially considering they started the races with a 2 point penalty.

Jax.
    I'm sure the old money New York sailing crowd is up in arms but I thought these new boats were amazing and really fun to watch. I found the idea that they are so fast that they are constantly beating (due to apparent wind) regardless of their direction of travel pretty fucking cool. Though I do miss the sail changes and seeing those spinnakers pop on the downwind legs.

Great job by the whole team.

America's Cup

Here is the final race.

http://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup

7. The Following User Says Thank You to WorldTravel69 For This Post:

Administrator

Venues: 398

Absolutely one of sport's greatest comebacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    No matter what you may think about Larry Ellison, Team Oracle scored one of the greatest comebacks in the history of ANY sport by winning the final race of the America's Cup. It is amazing.

Tres3.

Jax.

Quote Originally Posted by Tres3  [View Original Post]
    No matter what you may think about Larry Ellison, Team Oracle scored one of the greatest comebacks in the history of ANY sport by winning the final race of the America's Cup. It is amazing.

Tres3.
    I didn't see any of it and I'm not particularly interested in sailing, but just reading your brief updates here makes me wish I had!

Time to get torrenting I reckon...

Comeback Complete

Tres3.

Great Comeback

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    What a day in sailing.

USA got off the starting line first and did not look back to win the first race.

I thought the USA was going to lose the second race. New Zealand was first off the starting line, and first at the first mark and second mark.

But no one has pasted and ran away with the race. The US heading up wind pasted New Zealand and sailed away.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup

It is all tied up at 8-8, with the final race today at 1 pm Pacific time. NBCSN.
    Even if the American team dos not win the final race, I believe that their comeback from being.2 because of the penalty has to be one of the greatest come-from-behind stories in any sport, ever. I have been racing sailboats for over 50 years, and I do not fully understand the penalty. They were sailing different boats in a different program. Why were the finals in different boats penalized for cheating during what was billed as a "warm up"? If someone can explain that to me, I would certainly appreciate it.

Tres3.

America's Cup

What a day in sailing.

USA got off the starting line first and did not look back to win the first race.

I thought the USA was going to lose the second race. New Zealand was first off the starting line, and first at the first mark and second mark.

But no one has pasted and ran away with the race. The US heading up wind pasted New Zealand and sailed away.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericasCup

It is all tied up at 8-8, with the final race today at 1 pm Pacific time. NBCSN.

America's Cup

The races are getting really great.

USA was down 8-1. New Zealand needs one win to take the cup.

USA has come back to make it 8-6.

Two more races are scheduled today on NBCSC, 1:15 pm Pacific Time.

You can watch all the races on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSkj0T1sLQ the next day.

America's Cup

It looks like it is going to be New Zealand's Cup.

Rich kid Larry Ellison can't put enough money into this boat to win.

But New Zealand's boat is funded but the people, so I guess I like them better.

They have sailed the best so far, except this race where they almost capsized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11shiFtGO0

Yes,

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    Remember the days when so many talking heads said Nadal would never win a slam if it wasn't on clay?
    Unlike the majestic Federer, whose style and shots seem so imperious, Nadal came across like a good looking gypsy and nothing more than a scrambler. But the speed, and that mental toughness! WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackShirt  [View Original Post]
    Rafael Nadal overcame the toughest field in history (maybe) to win the US Open, overcoming Djokovic who has been dominant the last 2 years. It seem that Djokovic had overcome some jitters to tie at 1-1 and was looking very strong in the 3rd set. Nadal had been scrambling to be be at 4-4 when he just mentally took over, and then cruise home in the 4th set. It's true that Djokovic has been showing some self-doubt coming into the tournament but it was disappointing that he faded so bad.

I have had many arguments as to who is the best player the since the Federer era. There are many Federer loyalists, and Djokovic has convince that he is a Machine. It is true that Federer has all the record numbers, but it was made possible because of Nadal's injuries that curtail his participation and his form for almost 2 years. Prior to that, Nadal had dominated Federer head to head. But it was known that Nadal's style of play would lead to more injuries than Federer.

It was a great US Open.
    Remember the days when so many talking heads said Nadal would never win a slam if it wasn't on clay?

+ Submit Report
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Posting Limitations