Thread: For Early-Retired Expats

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Tigre

Geee!4

Quote Originally Posted by Redondo
    I did it to make you feel superior. I see it worked.
    Oh yeah?

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain
    Guys,

I need advice.

Supposing, I am not mongering and am just with one woman.

How much money would it cost to lead a really comfortable life in BA? I do not intend to buy property. But take a long term rental (expect that to be cheaper? In a v nice place.

So will 2500~ 3000 usd a month be enough to lead a "posh" life in BA?

Please advise.

Thanks
    Yes.

Jackson

Did you guys by the way also consider (state) pensions? If you have worked like 20 years you will due for a nice montly pay-out if you are 65.

In Holland (my home country) it can easily be around 1500 euro a month by current standards.

Also you should consider that if you reach your 70's, 80's or even 90's you will probally spend a lot less, so you need less money.

You basically need to overcome the time between your retirement and your 65th-75th birth-year

Redendo,

Your reply well noted.

Thanks.

Can you please share your experince when you dated a pro-girl. I am really intrigued & curious! Pardon me, if I am invading your privacy.

Secondly, I will also like to confirm the amount quoted by you " 10~2000". Is that pesos or US$? Also, when you say that she can earn 2000 US$, have you minused her monthly expenses from it?

Lastly, may I know any particular reason why you said that if you pay her MORE than what she earns, she will NOT come with me?

One last comment: I think most of the real hot chicks avbl in BA are all pros. A non-pro hot chick would probably go for a local good looking rich guy.

Any comments?

Thank You Redeondo,

All prices well noted.

Trust the cost of 24000 US$ a year is for good posh living?

I would say 2000-2500 dollar a month should be ok

May I know, whether a good looking hot Argentine woman would be reasonably satisfied in this budget?

With an Argentine equilvalent they are lucky if they go out one time a week, so I would say if you go out 2,3 times a week and do an occasional weekend away you will be just fine

It all depends a bit on which typ of girls you like. In Argentina itīs easy to find a gold digger (as a foreigner) who expects that you take her out, pick up all the bills, help her with her college/rent/kids/mom/personal expences and give her gifts.

I personally would not date(I did unfortunatly) a girl like that and prefer a girl who works and/or studies and can pick up (some) of the bills.

I understand to each his own? But still.

All depends on the girl you date

One more question, if you guys gont mind?

As per you guys who have spend lot of time in BA, How much (as per you) does a real hot looking girl in BA make a month considering she works really hard all month. Please take into consideration that at times she may get well paid & sometimes not. Plus the off peak season plus her body issues. Also please minus her expenses for her rents, agency commision etc.

As per my calculation, a real hot chick in BA can't be making (after all deductions) USd 1000/- a month.

What do you guys say?

I am no expert but that could be the case. But my guess is that very few girls fit that bill

I am asking this because I want to estimate how much money would it take a month to keep a real hot chick satisfied.

Depends on the girl. It can range from 100 dollar a month untill 2000 dollar a month (or more, depends on your spending-power)

If you think about dating a pro? They will probally try to take as much money off you as they probally can, as itīs basically there job and they wonīt go for you if you donīt give them more then they would make in there daily life

Cheers
    Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Argento
    40 dollar x 30 days x 12 months = 24000 dollar.

When I was at school, and that was a while back, this used to equal $14,400. We used a thing called the 12 times table and learnt by rote. But it seemed to work. Ahhh Rodondo, you seem to know all the prices but not the end results.
    I did it to make you feel superior. I see it worked.

Thank You Redeondo,

All prices well noted.

Trust the cost of 24000 US$ a year is for good posh living?

May I know, whether a good looking hot Argentine woman would be reasonably satisfied in this budget?

I understand to each his own? But still.

One more question, if you guys gont mind?

As per you guys who have spend lot of time in BA, How much (as per you) does a real hot looking girl in BA make a month considering she works really hard all month. Please take into consideration that at times she may get well paid & sometimes not. Plus the off peak season plus her body issues. Also please minus her expenses for her rents, agency commision etc.

As per my calculation, a real hot chick in BA can't be making (after all deductions) USd 1000/- a month.

What do you guys say?

I am asking this because I want to estimate how much money would it take a month to keep a real hot chick satisfied.

Cheers

Geee! 3

When I was at school, and that was a while back, this used to equal $14,400. We used a thing called the 12 times table and learnt by rote. But it seemed to work. Ahhh Rodondo, you seem to know all the prices but not the end results.

Guys,

I need advice.

How much money would it cost to lead a really comfortable life in BA? I do not intend to buy property. But take a long term rental (expect that to be cheaper? In a v nice place.

Please advise.

Thanks
    500 dollar x 12 month for appartment = 6000 dollar.

Extra's (plain ticket, health care, other costs, etc) = 4000 dollar.

34.000 dollar a year should get you a decent lifestyle.

Cost per person.

Movie = 25 peso.

Eating out in a good restaurant = 60 peso.

Eating out in an average restaurant = 30 peso.

Eating out on a daily basis = 20 peso.

Using a cab on a daily basis = 30 peso.

Night out drinking = 40 peso.

Night out Clubbing = 60 peso.

Concert of top artist / festival = 150 peso.

Travel inside Argentina or Uruguay, 2 nights, 3 days (Cordoba, Bariloche, Salta, Mendoza, Rosario, Coast, Montevideo, Igazu, Puerto Madryn, Perito Moreno = 1000 peso

Guys,

I need advice.

Please advise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alan23
    Tigre,

Your last comment indicates you haven't mastered the concepts here:

1. Importing a chica - even if possible, would defeat the purpose since she would immediately become the dreaded "Americanized female" that I presume you are trying to avoid.

2. Marry her and watch 50% of your assets VAPORIZE (and kiss the possibility of living aboard good-bye)

Good luck and save, save, save.
    AGREED, however you make your money, do not spend your time with just one women, VARIETY is what it is all about, With 3000 dlrs a month, you can fuck a 20 yr pup every other day, or hell everyday.

Why spend your life with the old ball and chain?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigre
    Seriously, do the people in Argentina really generate their own incomes in excess of $3000 USD per month?
    For the most part, no. But you do not want to live like those who live on the average Argentine salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigre
    I'm currently 29 why / o. I'd like to be in S. A. Full-time by the time I'm 36.
    Well, "being" in S. A. full-time by the time you're 36 is a little different from "retiring" by the time you're 36. You might want to consider a slightly different strategy.

For instance, we are in the 21st century, and information technologies have made many, many, many jobs possible to do remotely. I've run into a bunch of expats down here who are computer programmers. They work for clients in the U. S. for dollars, and live here quite well.

By the time you're 36, it's reasonable to assume that the information technologies that support off-site, remote work will have only gotten better. So why not consider (1) developing a skill set that fits this model, and (2) developing a personal reputation in some area that will allow you to move here and continue working for clients in the U. S.

I personally would not recommend programming or other stuff in the IT field. However, good old technical and business writing is something that could be your ticket. Three things that come immediately to mind:

1. Techical writing. In an increasingly technical world, classic technical writing (user manuals, repair manuals, etc.) will always be in some sort of demand. Get a certificate in technical writing...develop your reputation in some area near where you currently live...test and develop the off-site concept...then move here and continue on with it.

2. Online game documentation. Although actually related to #1, it's goofy enough to warrant a separate category. Namely, user manuals for online games. The NYTimes had an article about this a while back. This appears to be a phenomenon that's here to stay, and as the games get more complex, it's reasonable to assume that the demand for good, clear user documentation will remain and grow. The added benefit is, having written a good user manual, you'd probably be a pretty good player, too.

3. Grant writing. I know a woman who makes $125 an hour researching and writing grant proposals. She works from her little beach cottage in Maui, and when she gets bored, she just heads on down the road and surfs for a while. She never meets her clients. She has a website and good reputation, and they contact her quite regularly. I don't know how you crack into this, but my understanding is that there is quite a market for those who are willing to put up with the tedium and can do it well. You should be able to figure it out during the next seven years.

I'm sure there are scores of other variations on this, and the only real limitations are your imagination and willingness to pursue it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan23
    Tigre,

Your last comment indicates you haven't mastered the concepts here:

1. Importing a chica - even if possible, would defeat the purpose since she would immediately become the dreaded "Americanized female" that I presume you are trying to avoid.

2. Marry her and watch 50% of your assets VAPORIZE (and kiss the possibility of living aboard good-bye)

Good luck and save, save, save.
    Correctomundo. You're right. But I can't wait til I'm 50. Seriously, do the people in Argentina really generate their own incomes in excess of $3000 USD per month?

I might have to pick another country. Russia is cold and I read that the skinheads are over-active.

There is another gentleman on another board in his late 50s. He advises me that I should move to Thailand, buy a condo for $70K USD, set up a visa with the GOV. After that, I should place an add for a woman in a Russian (Siberian) paper inviting a willing woman to come live with me. He said I'd be overwhelmed with responses.

Or I could just go live in Mexico and call it a day.

But if you intend your nest egg to last forever, shouldn't a significant part of it be invested in instruments more conservative than equities? Like maybe T-Bills or Bonds? Which, if purchased today, are not going to yield anywhere near 10.5%.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Moore
    I figure you could retire in BsAs with US$600k. US$100k to buy your place and the remaining $500k should give you $2,300/ month forever after taxes and inflation. That's not a bad rent-free income there even before the 2001-2002 devaluation.

Long term U. S. Equity returns are about 10.5% over the last 100 years or so. Taking out taxes of 15% and inflation of 3.5% you're still over 5% net withdrawal rate, allowing funds to grow with inflation. We're talking about retiring young so with 40+ years of retired life ahead it seems probable that you will realize the long term market return rate over such a period.

Owning your own place in Argentina is key factor. Rent rates as percentage of purchase prices are still very low but that probably won't last forever. To be secure you should lock in at a fixed housing cost and since conventional mortgages aren't available the only option is to buy outright. Renting long term would be too much exposure to inflation.

One important financial benefit you should take into account is medical cost, which is astronomically high in USA but quite cheap in Argentina. As you get older this is an enormous expense (the largest in some cases) factored into the U. S. Retirement budget equation, whereas in Argentina your full medical cost will run a fixed monthly amount roughly equivalent to your telephone / internet bill.

Posting Limitations