Thread: Penalty for overstaying 90 day visa

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Useful info

Thanks much to DrakeCapital and Damman for the info on the Argentina reciprocity fee and the Paraguay overstay fee. I see from the link provided by Damman that the Argentina reciprocity fee is $160. The good news for me is that the fee is good for 10 years. Maybe I will succeed in having every woman between 18 and 25 years of age in Paraguay soon, so then I will have to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Damman  [View Original Post]
    As of January 7th, 2013, US citizens traveling to Argentina must pay the reciprocity fee online prior to entering Argentina through any of its airports or BORDER ENTRY POINTS.

http://www.clang.mrecic.gov.ar/conte...ting-argentina
    Thanks for this info... I live in Mendoza and we've never had to deal with this before. Guess it had to catch up at some point as.

They scramble for every penny.

Looking forward to a trip to BA probably in April. TL's "Drain, Eat & Meet" tour is much anticipated... Going to bring a American buddy now living in Brazil along for his "first" BA experience. It will blow his doors off.

Thanks,

TC.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverm  [View Original Post]
    My situation is different. As of March 31, I will have been in Paraguay for more than 90 days. I am just beginning to investigate the best course of action. One idea would be to go to Posadas AR for a couple days. Does anyone know if I would have to pay the Argentina "reciprocity fee" (is it $140 USA?) if I walk across the bridge from Encarnacion to Posadas with my USA passport? Actually, I would like to visit both Encarnacion and Posadas, just to see what they are like.

A fellow here in Asuncion said that Paraguay immigration might give me an extension beyond, so that is another option to look into. If anyone else has information or advice, I would appreciate it. I will post a parallel request on ISG, Paraguay, but that site has been quiet.

I will be leaving Paraguay for the States in May, but I am seriously thinking about getting a cedula for future extended trips, which takes months, so I understand. Also by the way, I have a Paraguay visa that is good for the life of my passport.

Thanks.
    Just stay over as long as you like, and pay the overstay fine when you leave. I know several people that have done it many times with zero repercussions, they just want the fees. I'll be in PY later this month.

As I understand it, crossing into Posadas with a US passport you'll still have to pay the reciprocity fee, which is much higher than PY's overstay fine, It's less than $50, and you don't have to go anywhere for paperwork, just pay at the airport when you leave. When the guy checks your passport he'll send you over to a special desk to pay, then they let you through with the receipt.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrakeCapital For This Post:

As of January 7th, 2013, US citizens traveling to Argentina must pay the reciprocity fee online prior to entering Argentina through any of its airports or BORDER ENTRY POINTS.

http://www.clang.mrecic.gov.ar/conte...ting-argentina

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Damman For This Post:

Paraguay to Argentina

My situation is different. As of March 31, I will have been in Paraguay for more than 90 days. I am just beginning to investigate the best course of action. One idea would be to go to Posadas AR for a couple days. Does anyone know if I would have to pay the Argentina "reciprocity fee" (is it $140 USA?) if I walk across the bridge from Encarnacion to Posadas with my USA passport? Actually, I would like to visit both Encarnacion and Posadas, just to see what they are like.

A fellow here in Asuncion said that Paraguay immigration might give me an extension beyond, so that is another option to look into. If anyone else has information or advice, I would appreciate it. I will post a parallel request on ISG, Paraguay, but that site has been quiet.

I will be leaving Paraguay for the States in May, but I am seriously thinking about getting a cedula for future extended trips, which takes months, so I understand. Also by the way, I have a Paraguay visa that is good for the life of my passport.

Thanks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Member #4110 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar  [View Original Post]
    I just checked personally with immigration here at EZE, you can take care of your fine 24/7, Bank open too! Office is in Terminal A by Citibank ATM
    Thank you very much Fred.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mpexy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    I am a professional airport chauffeur here in Buenos Aires, every once in a while I take a guest out to EZE that has overstayed, and you just go to a small window, (I believe has moved over by the blue CitiBank ATM in terminal A) you pay your fine, and are good to go, have done this at night too. I would be very surprized if they are not 24/7, and there is a Banco de la Nacion inside also, I would be very surprised if you had a problem. I do suggest leaving the city a bit early in case of a long line.
    I just checked personally with immigration here at EZE, you can take care of your fine 24/7, Bank open too! Office is in Terminal A by Citibank ATM

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silver Star For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    Used to do Colonia runs to get new stamp but decided to ignore and pay exit fine at Ezeiza when I leave.

Taking late evening flight at some point when I decide to leave and have read well documented process of how and where to handle the exit fine, but not found confirmation the two primary offices for handling exit fine process is open late night or 24 hours.

1. The immigration office / small window to get form and then return with proof of payment.

2. The Banco Nacional to actually pay and get proof of payment stamp on form.

Anyone with firsthand xp paying the overstay fine at late evening hours?
    I am a professional airport chauffeur here in Buenos Aires, every once in a while I take a guest out to EZE that has overstayed, and you just go to a small window, (I believe has moved over by the blue CitiBank ATM in terminal A) you pay your fine, and are good to go, have done this at night too. I would be very surprized if they are not 24/7, and there is a Banco de la Nacion inside also, I would be very surprised if you had a problem. I do suggest leaving the city a bit early in case of a long line.

I've never crossed by land into Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeritus  [View Original Post]
    1. Is the fine 300 pesos and can I pay at these small border crossing at the chile / Argentina land crossing in the Andes.

2. I hear I can cross into chile by land and not have to pay their visa entrance fee. I hear it is only charged at the airports.

OK thank for your time and information.
    However I have crossed into Paraguay from Formosa and Posades. At both places there were LONG lines of Paraguayos paying the fine. At Posades there are so many that they pay for the bus ride across, get off at the bridge, wait in line to pay the fine, then get on a different bus to actually cross.

I am planing to leave argeintina by bus into chile and I am over the 90 day visa limit.

1. Is the fine 300 pesos and can I pay at these small border crossing at the chile / Argentina land crossing in the Andes.

2. I hear I can cross into chile by land and not have to pay their visa entrance fee. I hear it is only charged at the airports.

OK thank for your time and information.

Ezeiza Immigration office and Banco Nacional open late or 24hrs?

Used to do Colonia runs to get new stamp but decided to ignore and pay exit fine at Ezeiza when I leave.

Taking late evening flight at some point when I decide to leave and have read well documented process of how and where to handle the exit fine, but not found confirmation the two primary offices for handling exit fine process is open late night or 24 hours.

1. The immigration office / small window to get form and then return with proof of payment.

2. The Banco Nacional to actually pay and get proof of payment stamp on form.

Anyone with firsthand xp paying the overstay fine at late evening hours?

Venues: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy  [View Original Post]
    An informed post from El Queso, but be VERY careful about this. In fact, I would only renew for one 90 day extension at Immigration in Retiro, IF you are brand new in Argentina (no previous ins and outs). The bureaucrats at the immigration offices in Retiro are super hard on multiple 90 day extensions. I went there one too many times which resulted in my "ultima prorroga". Honestly, I would avoid Retiro altogether.

Maybe, as El Queso says, if you plan to leave before the 180 days is up, you might be ok. But, given the bust ass mentality at Retiro, I think you are taking a risk.
    The only way I was meaning for anyone to do this would be if they are down here for a one time thing. If you are staying past the 180 days, definitely don't think about it. Just overstay.

Now, I guess I should also have added that if you have a bunch of stamps in your passport from times past and you go to Immigrations. Don't. Heh. Thinking only of someone who comes down every now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    51 posts on the board and NOT a single chica post! In fact they are all either political or peripheral posts like your last one here on this thread. As WW says, welcome back MoveOn. I wouldn't put the slightest credibility in anything you say dude. I doubt, in fact, you have ever even been to Argentina. So much for all those passport stamps. IALOFLMAO. Happy Mongering All. Toymann
    I always have a wry smile on my face reading posts from "mongers" on this forum, who never have posted on chicas or "paid sex" in Argentina but have long sermons / multiple posts on all other issues including elections in USA.

I also wonder if these guys ever been to Argentina.

And if they have been, what are they doing on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by El Queso  [View Original Post]
    If you want to renew your visa, and are planning to be here for more than 90 days but less than 180, go to immigrations and get it renewed officially. A lot cheaper and easier than going to Colonia.
    An informed post from El Queso, but be VERY careful about this. In fact, I would only renew for one 90 day extension at Immigration in Retiro, IF you are brand new in Argentina (no previous ins and outs). The bureaucrats at the immigration offices in Retiro are super hard on multiple 90 day extensions. I went there one too many times which resulted in my "ultima prorroga". Honestly, I would avoid Retiro altogether.

Maybe, as El Queso says, if you plan to leave before the 180 days is up, you might be ok. But, given the bust ass mentality at Retiro, I think you are taking a risk.

Venues: 8
    Don't do the visa run. There's a well-known immigration / naturalization lawyer who posts on BA Expats that tells all about it. You could have a charge filed against you without even knowing, try to come back in at some point, and find yourself with 10 days to get out of the country, or even be denied entrance. Pay the fine and you are much much less likely to have any problems.

Every time you pass immigrations, you put yourself in their sights. You are not renewing your visa by leaving and coming back in (according to the lawyer) , you are only getting a stamp in your passport and the immigrations officials are ignoring the violations, on government policy, not law. They are completely within their rights to cause you troubles at any point. Like most countries, you can only have 180 days a year.

If you want to renew your visa, and are planning to be here for more than 90 days but less than 180, go to immigrations and get it renewed officially. A lot cheaper and easier than going to Colonia.

Now, guys, I don't post about chicas on here, being a happily-married ex-monger. But sometimes people want information on how to get around in Argentina too.

Posting Limitations