Thread: El Alamo

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson
    I clicked on the pictures on the El Alamo website, and wow, some very attractive young women. Are they the program girls? If so I just moved my trip up a few months!

"all beef, ballpark style hotdogs are difficult to find a supplier for in BA? "

There are no such hotdogs here. Mostly German style, piel or sin piel.

Administrator

Venues: 398

Super Bowl Party Photos

Greetings everyone,

Here are some photos of the Super Bowl Pary at El Alamo.

#1 Downstairs Bar.
    #2 Upstairs Dining Room with one of the big screens.
    #3 Silvina with friends.
    #4 Chicken wings, ribs and Caesar salad.
    #5 Upstairs Bar.

Jackson
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Super Bowl 2006-1.jpg‎   Super Bowl 2006-2.jpg‎   Super Bowl 2006-3.jpg‎   Super Bowl 2006-4.jpg‎   Super Bowl 2006-5.jpg‎  

Ditto on the great superbowl party by El Alamo. I made reservations and due to a little early timing mistake on when kickoff would be, came by at 6pm. I was the first customer in the place and I saw the very neat and orderly stickers all over the place with customer reserved names on every single seat and booth, while the statff pre-tested all the equipment.

The waitress pre-apologized as she was serving me drinks while I waited for more people to arrive that once they got closer to full she wouldn't be able to pour the new drink, just deliver the bottles. I thought it was a nice gesture even though I don't really care whether they pour for you on delivery.

Order to delivery times were very good, certainly better than during the Rose Bowl, and even then unlike a prior report, I didn't think it was that long a wait during the Rose Bowl which was full house packed too.

During the superbowl itself, I thought the large screen placement and number of extra tables they had put in were balanced pretty well. Peter certainly didn't block views by over-selling seats.

The only wish-list item that I think can be better for the long term at El Alamo is the general quality of food. But then again, it might just be an Argentina thing and not a lack of cooking effort at El Alamo. For example, they had fixed-menus with no changes for that one Superbowl day only, mostly snack type foods. That part made sense and I understand why due to cooking and speed to order / delivery times, so I ordered a hot dog. It wasn't exactly great, more like an oscar meyer hotdog - makes me wonder if all beef, ballpark style hotdogs are difficult to find a supplier for in BA?

Administrator

Venues: 398

Super Bowl Report

Greetings Everyone,

I arrived at the Alamo's Super Bowl Party just after kickoff, generally expecting to find myself too late and standing outside the door. Fortunately, I had made a reservation earlier in the week, and sure enough my table was waiting for me.

The place was full to capacity, but not overly crowded. The staff had been taking reservations for the past week, and every table, bar stool and spare seat was neatly labeled with someone's name. Very efficient and well organized.

Peter had rented TWO high resolution projectors with 10 foot screens for the occasion, one positioned downstairs in the front bar room, and the second upstairs in the main dining room. I use these type of SVGA projectors in my seminar business all the time, so I can tell you that these were some top-of-the-line 1,600 lumen models, and the picture quality was excellent. In addition, Peter had the game piped in over their sound system, which up until now I hadn't paid much attention to, but the sound quality was also excellent.

There were also the usual number of regular TVs strategically positioned throughout the bar and restaurant, so everybody had a good seat.

Peter had the entire staff on duty, and it helped, because the service that night was great. I was casually monitoring the timing of my orders, and I never waited more than 5 minutes for my next beer to be delivered to my table.

I ordered the chicken wings, Silvina ordered the ribs, and we split a Caesar salad, which after one bite I realized had been made with anchovies. Yuck! Anyway, I told my waitress that it wasn't to my liking. No problem, she cheerfully returned with a replacement Caesar Salad within 5 minutes.

I asked for my bill just after the game was over, expecting that I'd need to wait as a lot of other customers had the same thought, but I received my itemized bill within a couple of minutes.

I took some photos of the festivities with Flexible Horn's camera, so I'll post them later when he sends them to me.

Thanks,

Jackson

Tues night - College basketball

Must say the tex / mex nachos were delicious. Nice to have food with a kick to it. Barman and waitress very attentive and chatty.

Larger screens would be nice, but alas we are in Argentina and just having a venue for American TV -Sports is great.

Smile Super Bowl

Had a very enjoyable evening watching my 1st super bowl, a very nice crowd.

Myself I'm a huge soccer fan and it was good to watch a game with no violence from the fans!

FH

Full at the Inn

I went w / o resv and was turned away of course. Looked like a fun crowd. Perhaps next time.

Went to Recoletta and watched at Buller on wide screen in ESPN VIVO. Great game. Not a Steeler fan per se, however Cowher is an alum of my school - NC STATE! Good to see a fellow Wolf Packer do well! Go Pack!

Super Bowl

It was a fantastic evening watching the Super Bowl. Thanks Peter, your staff was great.

Moondog

Question Day after

How was the Alamo Supra Bowl thing? I went by without a reservation, denied entrance, and watched it at the Locos for futbol place in Recoleta Village. Big crowd, lotsa expats. Won some $ on prop bets and lost on the spread.

Saw Peter this morning, he says he is renting a widescreen projection TV for the game to be placed (probably) downstairs. Reserved seating chart being used for the game and he is getting lots of reservations. You may want to stop in and ask about the game. Wait staff is aware of the process and can show you where your seats will be.

I always watch this game at home (Since Packers vs. Chiefs when it was on two networks! Later

Quote Originally Posted by JoeNasty
    Why would you want to watch the superbowl at the Alamo? All they got is 19" or 20" tvs. I understand for college sports and stuff you can't get on regular cable, but why for the superbowl? I'm gonna be on the lookout for a big ass TV tomorrow.
    Tomorrow: El Cafe de Deportes en Buenos Aires:

On our first "Big Ass TV":

3.00 pm Futbol! Newell's Old Boys v. Gimnasia!

5.30 pm Futbol! River Plate v. Estudiantes!

8.00 pm Futbol! Quilmes v. Rosario!

10.30 pm Futbol! Cordoba v. San Lorenzo!

On our second "Big Ass TV"

3.00 pm Futbol! Boca Juniors v. Tira Federal!

5.30 pm Futbol! Lanus v. Banfield!

8:00 pm Futbol! Arsenal v. Olimpo!

10.30 pm Futbol! Independiente v. Santa Fe!

What is this you are asking about the big futbol game, Senor Gringo? Of course! We have all the big futbol games on our Argentine Big Ass TVs! Just look at the schedule!

Exclamation

Let us know what you find. I'll do the same. I heard earlier in the week that the Marriott was having some shindig with a money up front "special". God knows what that'll be. Yea, hooray for the Alamo, but bigger is better for tomorrow.

Why would you want to watch the superbowl at the Alamo? All they got is 19" or 20" tvs. I understand for college sports and stuff you can't get on regular cable, but why for the superbowl? I'm gonna be on the lookout for a big ass TV tomorrow.

Superbowl

So, Is kick off 9:00pm local time? Boy, that cuts into cattin time if so! Can some one confirm, as I'm arriving that day, first timer. And I have many things on my mind, if ya know what I mean.

Thanks

Posting Limitations