Thread: Obtaining a Paraguayan Visa

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This blog is moderated by Rock Harders

Asuncion Hotel

Right downtown there are numerous nice hotels such as Las Margaritas and Sabe Plaza Hotel. I have stayed in both and enjoyed both. Both offer free Wi-Fi on all floors as well as included breakfast. Full rack rates are around $100 so you can get better rates through a wholesaler or possibly a website.

Redondo,

Look under the Asuncion thread on the internationalsexguide.info webpage for information on this stuff. I post on that site as.

Rock Harders and I wrote an extensive report on all the information you are asking back in October 2007. You got screwed on the airfare, you should have flown GOL, its about $150 USD round trip.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

Can somebody advice a semi decent hotel in Asucion, about 80 to 120 dollars a night.

Like a bit below Sheraton

Quote Originally Posted by Redondo
    EU pasport holders don't need a visa for Paraguay right?
    No, you don't need one.

EU pasport holders don't need a visa for Paraguay right?

Venues: 8
    I just wanted to confirm the posting by Dirk on the Paraguayan visa issue. I should have posted before myself, as I got one about 5 months ago, and the process was pretty much identical, except I had to visit the window on the right first to get papers - they may have changed procedures a little.

Also, there is some sort of Paraguayan agency right next to their consulate (to the right as you face the building) where you can get photos taken for 10 pesos. At least it was 5 months ago when I got my visa.

By the way, get there before noon if you can, and the consultate stops allowing people in at 2:00, although they allow you to finish your business if you get in before then.

My visa is for multiple visits, unlimited time, 9 years, again the life of my passport.

Queso

Border crossing

Lexton,

It was in no way my intention to put you into a position to defend yourself. What I did is just report one experience I had myself in this "triangle" about 3 months ago, and that runs down to while the Argentineans checked seriously, Brazil was very relaxed about everything coming from Argentina, and Argentine transit at the border to Paraguay. And Paraguay probably did not want to keep anybody from leaving their money in the country.

As you say, things can change within days, and especially Brazil (with even higher import taxes on electronics than Argentina) might try to get a tighter grip on things.

I have crossed a lot of borders in South America, and could write a book on my adventures between Argentina and Chile. For an European, who lives on a continent full of borders that are hardly recognizable these days (the worst is usually a bored officer that just looks if you have something looking like a passport or ID card) all this seems to be from another planet.

One thing you say is certainly right: keep your entry / exit stamps balanced. I once met a Swiss couple at an Argentine border post to Chile who wanted to go back into Argentina. They left via another pass over the Andes that has no Argentine checkpoint, you have to go to the police station in the nearest village - which they just did not know. And the Chileans stamped them in and out without problems. The Argentineans then tried to explain them that they could not let them into the country, because they never left it. They also did not want to them to leave their checkpoint. I don't know how that ended, This border post is the worst I have ever seen, full of idiots, They gave me 2 1/2 hours of hard time because somebody has given me the wrong form for my car. 3 earlier checkpoints just had ignored that fact, saying something about the stupidity of some of their colleagues.

So much,

El Alemán

More Foz do Iguazu - Ciudad del Este crossing

Me and my big mouth. I go to answer a question and am then stuck defending and further defining what I said, for no particular good purpose. And I have better things to do.

This damned bridge and crossing between Cuidad del Este and Foz is a constant source of irritation between Paraguay and Brasil, just as is the crossing between Encarnacion and Posadas for Paraguay-Argentina. They are in the news frequently, with many threats, periodic closings, strikes, delays and what have you on both sides. The issue is when one side wants to cross over and buy something cheaper on the other side. And it can go in either direction, depending on the commodity and other factors.

The certain thing is that control is getting tighter at all points. The bridge CDE-Foz has been in the news the last 3 months in Paraguay yet again. Below is an article from SEP 21, 2007 VANGUARDIA (the weekly newspaper of CDE) that talks about the completion of the new control on the Brazil side that they intend to have control 100 percent of the bridge traffic. From the article, it should be ready by the Christmas shopping season. This year Brazil had already announced the 3rd consecutive Christmas shopping prevention plan. Argentina will probably do something again also.

So, what has gone on here, and will go on here, and might be going on here when you cross is a matter for conjecture and your luck. Brazil has been threatening a wall along the river for 1.5km of their side, and I think they actually started it once, but Paraguay keeps gettng it delayed. I think they partly use it as a threat to keep traffic down. The article says that the new facility will use wire fence to block the get-around.

I haven't crossed in CDE personally for 3 years, so I am going by the news. From what I have seen of the situation over the years, I stick by what I said. Don't fuck with it. It isn't worth the risk. Just go to the Consolado and get the visa if you need one. And I wouldn't recommend crossing without the stamps even if you don't need the visa. But whatever you do, make sure the stamps are balanced exit-entry. You don't want to wind up with only half a stamp for a country. But from the article, you soon won't have a choice, if there is one now. And bear in mind the situation can change in a day if there is a delay or enforcement program of some kind.

When I went to Brazil, I stamped out of Paraguay, but did not stamp into Brazil because I had no visa. When I tried to re-enter Paraguay, they refused to stamp me in, since I had no stamp for another country (this would in effect give me a new 90 day entry) After talking a while, they Cancelled my exit stamp, thus leaving me with the original Paraguay entry. If the problem had been on the Brazil side, I don't know what they might have done.

As to Encarnacion-Posadas, I just crossed that again Oct. 18, 2007. Argentina now has it totally rigged out with grease pits for looking under cars and all. And they are inspecting all bags. It took me about 40 minutes to cross by taxi. Puerto Falcon to Clorinda has had xray machines for at least 2 years for looking at bags. Argentina is definitely looking for electronics.

So try to look for the news before you cross. Asking locals and or cabbies may help. And you should always be ready to tolerate a delay in these crossings. Don't do it with a tight plane to catch.

VANGUARDIA article folows:

VANGUARDIA- Ciudad del Este.

INTERNACIONALES21/9/2007

Brasil busca control total en la frontera.

Las obras de modernización de la aduana brasileña está en fase de culminación. Con ello se buscará un control efectivo del ciento por ciento en la frontera.

Se edifica igualmente un mirador con el objetivo de recuperar el atractivo turístico del Puente de la Amistad, de acuerdo a las explicaciones de los funcionarios de la Receita Federal (Secretaría de Ingresos Federales) del Brasil.

La segunda fase de modernización de la aduana brasileña está en su etapa de culminación. La gigantesca infraestructura sería habilitada a fines de año, de acuerdo a los datos. Después se iniciará la tercera why última etapa, que se ejecutará en la zona secundaria del Puente de la Amistad. La primera etapa de la modernización fue habilitada a fines del año pasado, why allí se realiza el control de personas why vehículos que ingresan desde el Paraguay. Ahora se está terminando la segunda etapa, que es el sector donde se controlan a las personas why rodados que salen de territorio brasileño rumbo al Paraguay.

CINCO MILLONES.

El objetivo es realizar una fiscalización efectiva del ciento por ciento, de acuerdo a lo afirmado por los responsables de la Receita Federal. Se han invertido cerca de 5 millones de dólares en las obras, de acuerdo a los datos.

Actualmente el control de los vehículos why personas que cruzan desde el Paraguay, no llega al 20 %. Mientras que los que salen del Brasil, no alcanzan ni el 5% , de acuerdo a las estimaciones de la propia Receita, publicadas por medios de prensa del país vecino.

Para conseguir la fiscalización total, la Receita igualmente aumentará considerablemente el número de fiscales en la frontera.

Una vez que culminen las obras de la aduana, habrá sectores especiales para la fiscalización de los camiones con carga de exportación, de los colectivos de turismo, de los denominados sacoleiros why de los vehículos particulares.

SEGURIDAD REFORZADA.

Todo el esquema de seguridad fue mejorado sustancialmente, de acuerdo a lo que se pudo observar. Alrededor de la denominada zona primaria fue colocado un sistema de alambrado especial para evitar que se burlen los controles. Igualmente fueron construidas dependencias especiales para la Policía Federal why para la Policía Rodoviaria Federal, de acuerdo a los datos.

La tan publicitada construcción de una muralla para evitar que se burlen los controles anticontrabando brasileños, fue suspendida.

Border crossing at Foz

I spent a weekend with a brazilean lady in Puerto Iguazu in July of this year. At night, we went to Foz, and the next day to Ciudad del Este. The only ones who did any checking were the Argentineans - they stamped me in and out every time. On the Brazilean side of the Brazil - Argentina border, no official was seen within miles.

Crossing into Paraguay, there was nothing on both sides. Some Paraguayan police or militia standing around with guns, but no document check at all (not us, and none of the cars within sight before us) On the way back to Brazil, it seemed that they pulled out cars with brazilean license plates, Argentineans got waved through.

We used the service of an Argentinean remis, and it seems that our driver Walter knows his way around very well, and is on good terms with many of the officials, so he would probably have been able to sort out any upcoming problem. And, I do not need a visa for any of the countries involved. If somebody is interested in Walter's contact, please pm.

These are just personal observations, certainly not an advice.

El Alemán

Foz do Iguazu - Ciudad del Este crossing

It used to be that the area within a 30km radius of the bridge Foz-Cuidad del Este was considered a "free zone" by Paraguay and pretty much by Brazil also. I actually crossed without a visa in 2004 from Paraguay into Brazil.

Today, I would just go and get a visa and not risk it, even if it looks possible. Brazil has closed their side of the border completely as I understand it, and are even giving the Paraguayans a hard time, looking for products from Paraguay. There have been a lot of delays in customs and other problems with the bridge. If Brazil stamps you out on their side, you will want the Paraguay stamps when you return. If you exit somewhere else, you have to have the visa and entry stamp. If Brazil does NOT stamp you out, you could have big problems trying to get back to Brazil now. They fined Nibu I think 800 Real for not having an exit stamp on one trip.

If you run into any sort of problem in Paraguay and have entered without a visa and passport stamp, your options will be very limited. You can only exit if you can EXIT AGAIN WITHOUT THE STAMP. But if Brazil has stamped you out, you will have a hard time getting stamped back to Brazil without Paraguay stamps.

The whole risk just isn't worth it. There is a Paraguay Consolado in Foz where you can get the Paraguay visa if you have the Brazilian visa.

If you are going to visit, I suggest reading my report on Cuidad del Este in ISG. There really isn't all that much there, especially now that they are giving more problems with taking electronic products out of Paraguay. Paraguay is trying to negotiate a new deal with Brazil to allow the "sacoleros" to continue operating in a more limited way. They were shut down completely for a while, and IIRC the news, are still having many problems.

By the way, on my last 2 land border crossings from Paraguay to Argentina, Argentine customs was looking closely for electronics imported from Paraguay. They keep closing the border tighter all the time, because the damned merchants in Argentina are complaining to the government. They tell me the poor Argentines are limited to about 1 bag of 150 pesos / month. At the same time, the same Argentine merchants are bragging in the press about how the wealthy Paraguayans are forced to come to Argentina and pay inflated prices at the top of the line shops to get quality merchandise, because there isn't any in Paraguay (especially of clothing and jewelry) More rich beating up on the poor.

Paraguay visas

Do you know if I need a visa if I am crossing between Iguazu Foz and Paraguay?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    Alan,

I edited my original post to answer your question.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

For anyone looking to spend some time in Ascuncion, Dirk has posted a nice summary of his recent trip on the ISG.

Thanks Dirk.

Alan,

I edited my original post to answer your question.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

14. 10-10-07 11:15

Thanks for taking the time Dirk. Look forward to hearing about the trip.

Obtaining a Paraguayan Visa

Mongers-

I recently obtained a Paraguayan visa in advance of my planned trip next week and I figured I would chronicle the experience for the forum membership in case anybody felt the desire to visit Paraguay. The consulate is located at Viamonte 1851, about a half a block from Callao. I arrived at about 9:30am (consulate open 8am-3pm) and the place was filled with Paraguayans trying to sort out their various problems. I did a bit of research on the ISG previously and found the information conflicting and inaccurate. At this time, all that is needed to get the multi-entry tourist visa are ONE passport-sized photograph, $65 USD CASH ONLY, and your passport. When you enter the building, go to the first window on the left, there will be a printed sign that says VISAS / PASSPORTS. The attendant will give you two forms, one of which I filled out completely, the other I left half blank as it had questions I had no answers for. After a wait of about 15 minutes, the attendant called our names, we paid the $65, and that's that, the visa is ready at 9am the next morning. NO airline tickets, copies of anything, credit cards, hotel reservation, etc were requested as previously reported on the ISG. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the visa has a validity of the life of the passport (in my case 7 years).

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Posting Limitations