Thread: The economic future of Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Congresso today.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    For whatever it's worth, tons of brand new bar / restos have opened in the San Telmo area over the past few months. Whether these folks are flying on a wing and a prayer I don't know, but there are alot of them and well furnished, smart looking places.
    On the recomendation of Sidney, I had a great lunch in Congresso. Paella. The place Plaza Mayor, Venezuela 1399. Apart from a great meal, the local real estate has changed significantly in the past year. So much for the booming economy. I estimate about a third of the premises are empty, available for lease or for sale. And all with-in a bull's roar of the oblisk. Not too good an economy there. Someone should whisper in Christina's ear about how she could could stay in touch with reality. Have a late lunch at Plaza Mayor and check out the booming real estate market that Redondo harps about.

Argento

Argentina, a real banana republic

Have been watching the tennis DC cup quarter finals (Argentina-

Sweden) this afternoon live from Buenos Aires.

Have been watching from Europe (in Isola, France)

The broadcast technically, reminds me of the Olympics from.

Moscow in 1980.

All the time technical problems, on several occasions, what you.

See switches from the Tennis Stadium to a football warmup.

For a soccer game.

Even Sudan or Chad (or any other poor African.

Country) would have been embarrassed for a similar.

Service.

Maybe these BA chicas compensate for everything, but even.

Rio nowdays works like a swiss clock.

Argentina is stuck.

For whatever it's worth, tons of brand new bar / restos have opened in the San Telmo area over the past few months. Whether these folks are flying on a wing and a prayer I don't know, but there are alot of them and well furnished, smart looking places.

Hydro carbons exports are banned, last year it represented about 8% of the total exports

Harvest of Soja could 20% down on 2007.

Lucheon tickets will be integrated into the salary, if this goes with hefty salary-raises this would spark lay-offs sooner then later.

Wheat harvest could go down 10 to 20% due to frost. That would definitly hurt Argentina as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Badboy13
    He's an annoying fucker, I'll give you that. But I wouldn't go as far as calling him a " sick fuck ". Here is some advice I am sure you won't accept Redondo. Contribute to the board, endless economic and political commentary gets boring after a while. Maybe you could give some useful information in other areas of interest?
    Maybe you red my posts about Rosario, Salta, Mar del Plata, La Plata for example?

Welccome back Bad

I, for one have missed your pithy comentary:

-Some of the best mongering commentary on this board.

-Don't let the republican senors get under your skin, I dout any of them would vote for the bushes again, or at least I hope so[please don't flame me too much. A little bit is OK]

This thread is about Madame K and her next set of moves and their impact: the k's are a dynamic couple like bill and hilliary.

Madame K is courting the international investment community and her husband is still romancing chavez to argentina's advantage ---think bonds! Think oil and gas piplines.

Does Bad have any insight or thoughts on the subject?

Jackson always encouages vigorous discussions without personal attacks. We can all disaggree about politics and enjoy a good steak together.

He's an annoying fucker, I'll give you that. But I wouldn't go as far as calling him a " sick fuck ". Here is some advice I am sure you won't accept Redondo. Contribute to the board, endless economic and political commentary gets boring after a while. Maybe you could give some useful information in other areas of interest?

Before anybody thinks to offer a reasonable, earnest response to another insipid question from Redondo, I will weigh in. The very large percentage of Redondo's posts are intended to give him the opportunity to be an abrasive, argumentative antagonizer. They are "passive aggressive" in nature and not a valid, "honest" call for information. He is a "sick fuck" sin duda, and not worth the time and effort displayed by many informed posters who respond to him. He is also a despised poster on another BA based expat site. His reputation is well earned. Dogg

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Before anybody thinks to offer a reasonable, earnest response to another insipid question from Redondo, I will weigh in. The very large percentage of Redondo's posts are intended to give him the opportunity to be an abrasive, argumentative antagonizer. They are "passive aggressive" in nature and not a valid, "honest" call for information. He is a "sick fuck" sin duda, and not worth the time and effort displayed by many informed posters who respond to him. He is also a despised poster on another BA based expat site. His reputation is well earned.

Dogg
    Hi Doggboy,

A well written assessment, and I agree entirely.

Thanks,

Jackson

What the fuck

Quote Originally Posted by Redondo
    I would like to know if the 8 billion peso extra who are supposed to be raised in 2008 with higher export taxes are enough to offset the increasing imports and reaching the goal of 4% of primary surplus
    Before anybody thinks to offer a reasonable, earnest response to another insipid question from Redondo, I will weigh in. The very large percentage of Redondo's posts are intended to give him the opportunity to be an abrasive, argumentative antagonizer. They are "passive aggressive" in nature and not a valid, "honest" call for information. He is a "sick fuck" sin duda, and not worth the time and effort displayed by many informed posters who respond to him. He is also a despised poster on another BA based expat site. His reputation is well earned.

Dogg

I would like to know if the 8 billion peso extra who are supposed to be raised in 2008 with higher export taxes are enough to offset the increasing imports and reaching the goal of 4% of primary surplus.

Quote Originally Posted by Argento
    Rodondo's economic sense is about as good as the sense put out by the Argentine economic policy makers. Both are economic asses. However if anything, the government is slightly superior simply due to a consistancy woefully lacking in Redondo's posts. Check back on his mammoth quantity of posts in the past 5-6 months. First he fortells of a currency meltdown; I still don't see that anytime soon, and now he pretends to know that the Argentine government is benevolent to its citizens. Government power in Argentina is about capturing the maximum quantity of money from bribes. Period! Power is money here. Don't ever forget the maxim; "Follow the money". And don't ever forget as well, that in the northern provinces, at least 200 children die of malnutricion a month, while the Portenos have cheap rail travel. A bit of perspective please.

And Redondo, please keep up your rate of posting. For economic and commerce graduates, you give us living proof of the old saying, "Bullshit baffles brains."
    Quotes please.

And while you are at it try to response with arguments or facts, personal insult will only show that your parents did a lousy job

Quote Originally Posted by Facundo
    Interesting article on inflation in South America, especially Argentina:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20...n_editors_ytop
    Thanks for the article.

What I find funny is that many journalists don't check their info. Calling La Matanza a middle-class suburb is ridiculous, since it's one of the poorest ones.

As for cooling down growth, it's somewhat true but also tricky. The same advisors who recommend to freeze wages also recommend to significantly rise utilities, a move that doesn't help on the long term if there are no additional investments in infrastructure.

Andres

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeCapital
    Consumers with the level of production? They are not even related. Basic economics, man.

Argentina DOES have great agricutural opportunities, but a poor political climate. Look at the price of every commodity that Argentina produces-through the roof! That is fact. The reasons it dosen't flow to the "common man" are politics.

And, America DOES have much further to fall than a country of people that were wiped out financially just 6 years ago!

Perhaps you really meant production per capita? Bunda needs to get to another thread or take some economics classes!
    I think that Bunda wanted to say that the Argentine consumer base doesn't justify to install a manufacturing base like the American one. The bigger your potential market, the better the economies of scale. That's why many companies from Argentina moved to Brazil (and particularly Sao Paulo) after the onset of Mercosur.

As of the agricultural sector, it is very unlikely that it provide by itself the money necessary to develop other areas and industries. If it were for the main players on that sector, they would pay minimim taxes and leave their money at Cayman, Luxembourg or Isle of Man. That's one of the reasons for the Argentine government to impose "tax retentions" on agricultural exports. They get enough money from exporting and have zero interest in investing elsewhere.

Andres

Posting Limitations