Thread: General Questions about Living in Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    You will read about the lunatic on top of the Obelisco that guns down the proteastants.

(Protesters)

Just popping speed and shooting Demonstartors!

I have a dream!

TL

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung  [View Original Post]
    Obviously something is not quite right with your friend's story. First, the cops don't let you go. The court does. The judge must have considered the knifing as "lesiones" (injury) and from there on there are a pile of situations that can modify this such as injuries in a fight or a crime of passion and / or a pile of other situations. Also the fact he was let out doesn't mean he was let free. It means the judge didn't consider him a risk or that he was clearly the guilty party. It takes about two or three years to go to trial for something here. Once he's tried and found guilty he will get the real sentence. In the case of simple injuries the penalty is about three years imprisonment but as any sentence under three years (if it's the first time) doesn't require real jail time he won't go behind bars.

True, he's in the police system so he has to keep his nose clean.

Attempted murder is a different story. In that case the penalty can be up to three quarters the sentence for murder. Premeditation, stalking, lying in wait etc all add to that.

As you know I was attacked a year ago by a a drug addict who cut my throat and stabbed me repeatedly in the abdomen and chest cutting my trachea, my intestines and damaging my vocal chords. I am still alive because I got to the hospital in less than ten minutes and was operated on for 8 hours the first day and then the next day I was taken by helicopter to my hospital and operated on another two times in the first week. I have to live with a mesh holding my guts in for the rest of my life and I have a serious speech impediment that will never get better. The crack-head's in jail. And I mean jail not locked up somewhere in some police station and probably will be there for the next 12 or 14 years.

Carrying a weapon or not is a big question. To get a permit to carry a fire arm is not easy. Knifes are illegal to carry if they have blades over 4 centimetres long. Those swords in walking canes are also illegal and good for nothing. By the time you pulled it out you've been shot ten times or stabbed a dozen.

If you kill someone with an illegal weapon your going to go to jail for homicide. You will probably get the lower end of the sentence but you are going to do some real time and Argentine jails aren't pretty even less if your a Gringo. If you have a legal weapon you had better be able to prove that killing the person was absolutely necessary or you are in big trouble.

I'm totally against having mace or gas cans. I can tell you many tales of arguments getting really ugly when one of the parts pulled out a mace can. Even as protection against rapes, many women have ended up seriously injured or killed for having used mace. In many, many cases all it does is just infuriate the crook.

It is all a question of whether it's your time or not. I have carried a gun or even two for the last 35 years and I am highly trained in using one. The day I was attacked it was outside my house at midday while I was getting into the car to pick up my grandson from school and I didn't even have a nail clip on me.

The only advice I can give is that each one does what he thinks correct or best for him taking in account the consequences for his decisions.
    Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver Star For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    Nice Post.

I have 2 questions for you :

A friend of mine was stabbed by his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend while he was in his car waiting for her to get off work.

They had to open him up with a zipper to look around inside and patch him up.

The police let the ex-boyfriend go because he claimed it was a crime of passion because he was jealous.

Does that sound like a true story?

What about premeditation or attempted murder, etc?

But he is in the Police system now so he can't even fart without going to jail.

And secondly, what are your thoughts about carrying a knife, pistol, mace, cane with a hidden sword or a WMD?

TL.

I have been a victim of violent crime once in my bedroom and almost twice on 9 de Julio at 4am by the same 3 crack heads!
    Obviously something is not quite right with your friend's story. First, the cops don't let you go. The court does. The judge must have considered the knifing as "lesiones" (injury) and from there on there are a pile of situations that can modify this such as injuries in a fight or a crime of passion and / or a pile of other situations. Also the fact he was let out doesn't mean he was let free. It means the judge didn't consider him a risk or that he was clearly the guilty party. It takes about two or three years to go to trial for something here. Once he's tried and found guilty he will get the real sentence. In the case of simple injuries the penalty is about three years imprisonment but as any sentence under three years (if it's the first time) doesn't require real jail time he won't go behind bars.

True, he's in the police system so he has to keep his nose clean.

Attempted murder is a different story. In that case the penalty can be up to three quarters the sentence for murder. Premeditation, stalking, lying in wait etc all add to that.

As you know I was attacked a year ago by a a drug addict who cut my throat and stabbed me repeatedly in the abdomen and chest cutting my trachea, my intestines and damaging my vocal chords. I am still alive because I got to the hospital in less than ten minutes and was operated on for 8 hours the first day and then the next day I was taken by helicopter to my hospital and operated on another two times in the first week. I have to live with a mesh holding my guts in for the rest of my life and I have a serious speech impediment that will never get better. The crack-head's in jail. And I mean jail not locked up somewhere in some police station and probably will be there for the next 12 or 14 years.

Carrying a weapon or not is a big question. To get a permit to carry a fire arm is not easy. Knifes are illegal to carry if they have blades over 4 centimetres long. Those swords in walking canes are also illegal and good for nothing. By the time you pulled it out you've been shot ten times or stabbed a dozen.

If you kill someone with an illegal weapon your going to go to jail for homicide. You will probably get the lower end of the sentence but you are going to do some real time and Argentine jails aren't pretty even less if your a Gringo. If you have a legal weapon you had better be able to prove that killing the person was absolutely necessary or you are in big trouble.

I'm totally against having mace or gas cans. I can tell you many tales of arguments getting really ugly when one of the parts pulled out a mace can. Even as protection against rapes, many women have ended up seriously injured or killed for having used mace. In many, many cases all it does is just infuriate the crook.

It is all a question of whether it's your time or not. I have carried a gun or even two for the last 35 years and I am highly trained in using one. The day I was attacked it was outside my house at midday while I was getting into the car to pick up my grandson from school and I didn't even have a nail clip on me.

The only advice I can give is that each one does what he thinks correct or best for him taking in account the consequences for his decisions.

Thanks and a Few Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung  [View Original Post]
    Going back to the origin of this post. Ten years ago I would tell foreigners visiting Argentina that Buenos Aires was probably the safest 'big' city in the World and that they could stroll around down-town or Palermo or Recoleta whatever time it was without the least worry of something happening to them.

Five years ago I would tell them that BA was still very safe but they shouldn't carry their passports around with them or any valuables more than the cash they thought they may need at the time and one credit card.

Today. Hmm, I don't know what to say. You may stumble around drunk at any time of the night and nothing happens, you may have your pockets picked at 3pm and you may be shot or knifed at 10am.

Years back a pick pocket didn't carry any sort of weapon because if, in his worst case scenario, he was caught his sentence would only be light. Today all or at least most pick pockets carry at least a blade.

Years back a pick pocket was just that. He prided in his 'profession'. Today drugged up kids roam the streets looking for any chance of making some money, be it picking a pocket, snatching a bag, robbing a kiosko or mugging a guy just walking out of a bank.

Those kids you see on the parks in the middle of the 9 de Julio will just as easy stab you for your cell phone as beg a coin from you. It mostly depends on how high they are at the time you cross their paths.

27 cops have been killed this year in Buenos Aires and I really don't know how many civilians as the government hides the real amount from us. In my calculations it's about between 20 and 30 a month.

Buenos Aires is still safer than most big cities in Latin America and many cities in the US come to think of it. But it's not much of a comfort to know that you were the only one killed in a robbery in BA on that day.

Of course, about three people are killed every two days on the streets of Buenos Aires in traffic accidents and still not much of a comfort to know you were the only one run over.

So keep your eyes open, watch the traffic lights and use your common sense.
    Nice Post.

I have 2 questions for you :

A friend of mine was stabbed by his girlfriend's ex-boyfriend while he was in his car waiting for her to get off work.

They had to open him up with a zipper to look around inside and patch him up.

The police let the ex-boyfriend go because he claimed it was a crime of passion because he was jealous.

Does that sound like a true story?

What about premeditation or attempted murder, etc?

But he is in the Police system now so he can't even fart without going to jail.

And secondly, what are your thoughts about carrying a knife, pistol, mace, cane with a hidden sword or a WMD?

TL.

I have been a victim of violent crime once in my bedroom and almost twice on 9 de Julio at 4am by the same 3 crack heads!

Going back to the origin of this post. Ten years ago I would tell foreigners visiting Argentina that Buenos Aires was probably the safest 'big' city in the World and that they could stroll around down-town or Palermo or Recoleta whatever time it was without the least worry of something happening to them.

Five years ago I would tell them that BA was still very safe but they shouldn't carry their passports around with them or any valuables more than the cash they thought they may need at the time and one credit card.

Today. Hmm, I don't know what to say. You may stumble around drunk at any time of the night and nothing happens, you may have your pockets picked at 3pm and you may be shot or knifed at 10am.

Years back a pick pocket didn't carry any sort of weapon because if, in his worst case scenario, he was caught his sentence would only be light. Today all or at least most pick pockets carry at least a blade.

Years back a pick pocket was just that. He prided in his 'profession'. Today drugged up kids roam the streets looking for any chance of making some money, be it picking a pocket, snatching a bag, robbing a kiosko or mugging a guy just walking out of a bank.

Those kids you see on the parks in the middle of the 9 de Julio will just as easy stab you for your cell phone as beg a coin from you. It mostly depends on how high they are at the time you cross their paths.

27 cops have been killed this year in Buenos Aires and I really don't know how many civilians as the government hides the real amount from us. In my calculations it's about between 20 and 30 a month.

Buenos Aires is still safer than most big cities in Latin America and many cities in the US come to think of it. But it's not much of a comfort to know that you were the only one killed in a robbery in BA on that day.

Of course, about three people are killed every two days on the streets of Buenos Aires in traffic accidents and still not much of a comfort to know you were the only one run over.

So keep your eyes open, watch the traffic lights and use your common sense.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aqualung For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hound  [View Original Post]
    Wrong and wrong. As I posted I was there in July, boots on the ground.

The only ones having fish for breakfast are those who can't afford Dunkin Donut / McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, can't figure out how to operate a waffle iron or scramble eggs or don't like fruit loops. My observations.
    I second Hound's opinion on Peru.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    You know how in Buenos Aires you see those empanadas on display and they are neither heated nor refrigerated?
    Just thinking about it loosens my bowels. The 4-hour rule, once it is cooked, it needs to 1) stay hot (at least 135F) .2) be consumed, or 3) refrigerated, within 4 hours. If none of 1-3 apply, it needs to be thrown out.

Pretty much everything is like that in Perú. And you almost never see hot water in the bathrooms, leading me to wonder if they have it in the kitchen.
    In situations like that (where I am fairly certain of unsanitary conditions abound) , I want it piping hot (Locro, soup, etc.). I'll take a pass on the fresh fruits and veggies.

That is why I finally started eating the cui; they kill it right before your very eyes. I should add that I did not get sick in the highlands, only in the jungle and on the coast. It was not giardia. I have had that and it is terrible but goes away within a week. After my longest trip to Perú I had the shits for a full six months.
    That stinks (pun intended).

Everyday Colombian food sucks. 'Bandeja paisa' = whatever leftover rotting bullshit.
    That is a great translation.

'Arepa' = tortilla that would get you shot in México. 'Aguardiente' = if booze is a crutch this shit is a wheelchair. And don't get me started about the tapioca spit drink.
    Frenet is originally Peruvian (isn't it?). You have to wonder about places that need beverages that taste like gasoline to stand up to its food.

This is why Peruvians only eat fish for breakfast. All the intercity buses have armed guards riding on them and you are thoroughly physically searched before getting on.
    Wrong and wrong. As I posted I was there in July, boots on the ground. I traveled intercity and interdistrict by bus. While those security checks were a reality mid 80s-mid90s they no longer exist. The SL and MRTA have been effectively denuded and emasculated. Guzman is on ice. No need now for that level of security. What they do, and 'they' meaning bus line employees, is take a panoramic of all seated passengers before commencing travel. Reputable bus lines don't stop to pick up locals and buses are GPS equipped so that company OPS knows exact locations at all times.

The only ones having fish for breakfast are those who can't afford Dunkin Donut / McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, can't figure out how to operate a waffle iron or scramble eggs or don't like fruit loops. My observations.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hound For This Post:

You know how in Buenos Aires you see those empanadas on display and they are neither heated nor refrigerated? Pretty much everything is like that in Perú. And you almost never see hot water in the bathrooms, leading me to wonder if they have it in the kitchen. That is why I finally started eating the cui; they kill it right before your very eyes. I should add that I did not get sick in the highlands, only in the jungle and on the coast. It was not giardia. I have had that and it is terrible but goes away within a week. After my longest trip to Perú I had the shits for a full six months.

Everyday Colombian food sucks. 'Bandeja paisa' = whatever leftover rotting bullshit. 'Arepa' = tortilla that would get you shot in México. 'Aguardiente' = if booze is a crutch this shit is a wheelchair. And don't get me started about the tapioca spit drink.

Well, I was in Medellin for six weeks and I got mugged and robbed once, attempted to be robbed another time and hassled by cops for resisting, and given counterfeit money by a taxista who then called the police on me. In Lima the taxistas would not even take me to half the places I wanted to go, and twice guys reached in the windows of cabs to try to grab shit. Peruvian food can be very good but you have to be very careful because there is little refrigerated transport. I always get sick no matter how careful I am, and once it was quite serious. This is why Peruvians only eat fish for breakfast. All the intercity buses have armed guards riding on them and you are thoroughly physically searched before getting on. Lima is my least favorite South American city.
    That is very interesting. I have not spent time in Peru and didn't have any clue as to the potential dangers. I'd like to think that I am careful enough not to get sick. However, I know that no matter how careful you are, sometimes it happens. I'm fastidious about potential contamination, however, I have managed to ingest some virulent stuff. Giardia is lots of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    Medellin is without doubt one of the more dangerous citys in south america. One of my employees live there. He hates going home. Its even worse when you are almost 6 feet tall with blue eyes and blond hair. You stick out like a sore thumb and everyone knows you are a gringo. Kidnapping for money is a rt there.
    That is one of the things that I like about Argentina, I can blend in (as long as I keep my mouth shut).

I travel to nations with developing economies with some frequency. I learned (back in the 80s, how to keep a low profile). For one, I don't wear or carry branded items that confirm my gringo-ness.

Way back when I lived in Italy, wearing Nike sneakers was a dead give away that you were American (of course with a few exceptions). The only potential clothing hints are my jeans, although I only bring jeans that don't have outward markings (Lucky). I don't wear any jewelry, except watches and cufflinks. Depending upon my destination, those things may get left at home.

Wherever I am (No Am, So Am, Asia, Africa, Europe) , I commit to memory the basic layout of the city, the 'borders' and 'markers' that exist (that aid in orienteering) so that I can generally get around without ever taking the map out of my pocket. I also use two mapping aps on my phone and the integrated GPS.

In places like Dar es Salaam, it is a little more difficult for me to blend in.

Medellin

Medellin is without doubt one of the more dangerous citys in south america. One of my employees live there. He hates going home. Its even worse when you are almost 6 feet tall with blue eyes and blond hair. You stick out like a sore thumb and everyone knows you are a gringo. Kidnapping for money is a rt there.

Well, I was in Medellin for six weeks and I got mugged and robbed once, attempted to be robbed another time and hassled by cops for resisting, and given counterfeit money by a taxista who then called the police on me. In Lima the taxistas would not even take me to half the places I wanted to go, and twice guys reached in the windows of cabs to try to grab shit. Peruvian food can be very good but you have to be very careful because there is little refrigerated transport. I always get sick no matter how careful I am, and once it was quite serious. This is why Peruvians only eat fish for breakfast. All the intercity buses have armed guards riding on them and you are thoroughly physically searched before getting on. Lima is my least favorite South American city.

Lima they would kill you as soon as look at you and same for Medellíand.
    Absolute bullshit. Where do people come up with this trash. Fucking histrionics. I mongered 3 months ago, July, in Lima, went to parts of the city in the daytime I certainly wouldn't return to at night, walked around centro at night with never so much as anyone getting intentionally close enough to say Hello, used public transport without incident. Yes, the city's largest chongo is located in an unfavorable zone. Just don't go there or have a local take you. Whenever and wherever you go don't look like a mark, keep your wits about you and you'll be fine in Lima.

Mongered in Med in August of '11. Same deal. Sure, centro after dark can be dicey. Lots of mongering in Med without going to centro after dark. And parts of centro are just fine after dark. For this monger, no incidents in Med either.

For mongering my vote goes to Med over Lima, more variety. For food it's Lima.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hound For This Post:

Wrong Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker  [View Original Post]
    I heard from a few bros, The Pole Dance Party is pretty boring.

Anyway someone can record the event and send some videos to Youtube to dispel the ugly rumor?

POLE DANCE PARTY this FRIDAY!

I am hosting a Pole Dancing Party at the AP House in Recoleta this Friday evening.

We've got a professional stage, pole, lighting, special effects, mirrors and sound system!

Full Nudity Warning: These parties tend to get naked and wild.

Friday Night from 10 pm to 12 midnight.

Reservations are necessary to keep things under control.

There is a $300 pesos cover charge to pay the strippers who (big surprise) will not shake their ass for free.

Because we need a room full of guys to complete the scene and motivate the strippers, I have decided to make.

Any contributions to cover the expenses entirely VOLUNTARY and I will cover the difference personally.

Please RSVP via Private Message or call me at 15-4048-2827. Thanks, Jax.

(There is a $300 pesos contribution to cover expenses.)
    This is the wrong thread but I will try to explain a few things to you and I also encourage you to show up one day.

The House Rules and some of the girl's rules do not allow us to record images and although we have had a lot of good ones there was an occasional bad one , always better than the club scene in various manners.

It absolutely depends on the girls more than anything else.

You can invite wannabe Pole Dancers from any club that just want to take the money and run and you can invite regular girls that get turned on when they strip for a room full of men and forget what time it is and dance for 5 hours . Those Private parties were the best !

The Mercenaries are or may be nice to look at but they are usually shallow, conceited and heartless souls.

Bring on the girl next door that has a fantasy to strip for men and you get a winner.

Every time.

The best one of all times jumped off of my balcony and she is the perfect example of a girl next door that gets turned on as an exhibitionist.

At least when the "elexir of love" is involved.

They all do.

TL

P.S - Sometimes you never know what to expect .

Posting Limitations