Thread: General Questions about Living in Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Venues: 8
    Daily Weather Report

Today was a bit on the warm side, about 75 or so, few clouds, reasonable breeze. Right now, 10:00 PM, between 65-70 degrees and a slight breeze.

I eyed that pool all day today while I was working - soon! Soon!

Pretty soon

Quote Originally Posted by El Queso
    2:35 am it's about 55 f. Today it almost got up to about 68 f. It's gotten up over 70 a couple of times this spring. Warmer weather coming real soon.
    It will be hotter than balls.

Venues: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Judd
    Hola Dudes,

The weather services online seem fairly general with lows in the 40's and highs in the mid 70's. Is that about right?

Thanks,

Judd
    2:35 am it's about 55 f. Today it almost got up to about 68 f. It's gotten up over 70 a couple of times this spring. Warmer weather coming real soon.

What's The Weather Situation in BA?

Hola Dudes,

The weather services online seem fairly general with lows in the 40's and highs in the mid 70's. Is that about right?

Thanks,

Judd

Smithsonian Magazine Article

The Smithsonian Magazine for June 2009 has a marvelous article about BA!

Many excellent photographs to inspire anyone who hasn't been back there in a while! A lot of insight about the international nature of BA.

Nike 5K race

Long shot here but I believe there is a 5k womens race Sunday. Anyone know where it starts / finishes? I saw a billboard but can't seem to find more info at Nikecorreo. Thought it might be a nice sight.

Thanks

Ran across this other forum

(Jax if I'm breaking a rule here please delete this post and accept my appologies)

I ran across this other forum about expats living in Argenitna and found some usefull stuff.

http://baexpats.org

I registered and posted directions to the black market cambio I used touse in Galaria del Sol. Their rates were allways higher and never any trutcho. I posted then immediatly got banned for life. It was a mystery to me why I was, I dropped them an email asking for an explanation. All in all some useful stuff that you don't see here, it's not a mongering board but their auto banner has to go!

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter
    What would happen if a foreigner gets a jay walking ticket here?

I jay walk all the time but not into oncoming traffic. I may go to Madahos but I am not that dumb lol.
    I've lived in Recoleta for 6 years. I've seen people shot, killed, assaulted, robbed, arrested and run over, but I've NEVER seen anyone stopped by a cop, much less ticketed, for their pedestrian behavior.

Thanks,

Jackson

What would happen if a foreigner gets a j walking ticket here?

I jay walk all the time but not into oncoming traffic. I may go to madahos but I am not that dumb lol.
    Exactly the same as if an Argentine got one - Nothing!

What would happen if a foreigner gets a jay walking ticket here?

I jay walk all the time but not into oncoming traffic. I may go to Madahos but I am not that dumb lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Facundo
    In Argentina approximatley 8760 die per year and over 120,000 are injured from car accidents. A high percentage of the injured long term care. Due to these injuries and fatalities the annual loss to the economy is in eccess of 10 billion dollars.

Argentina is a country that has a population 1/10th the size of the USA. In the USA approximately 44,000 people die from car accidents per year. If Argentina had the same population as the USA than we can estimate that approximately 88,000 people would die from car accidents every year in Argentina.
    It's very bad but be careful with the numbers for the country. There aren't statistics available for most provinces. The numbers given out by ISEV or Luchemos Por La Vida are not 100% trust worthy. They have reasons to inflate the numbers. When I was in actively involved in this I was acutely disliked by these people for showing them their errors! Hahahahahahahaha

Administrator

Venues: 398

It's worse than that

In Argentina approximatley 8760 die per year and over 120,000 are injured from car accidents. A high percentage of the injured long term care. Due to these injuries and fatalities the annual loss to the economy is in eccess of 10 billion dollars.

Argentina is a country that has a population 1/10th the size of the USA. In the USA approximately 44,000 people die from car accidents per year. If Argentina had the same population as the USA than we can estimate that approximately 88,000 people would die from car accidents every year in Argentina.
    The disparity in these statistics is further magnified by the fact that there are fewer vehicles per capita in Argentina, and those vehicles are driven fewer KM.

In other words, I'm suggesting that the vehicle deaths / accidents per vehicle KM could easily be 3 or 4 times higher in Argentina as opposed to the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung
    You are right except that theoretically it has always been possible to give a ticket to a jay walker and not just now. Also, schoolteachers, priests / ministers etc. Etc. Can give out a traffic ticket or at least write down the details of the infraction and hand them over to a policeman to write out the ticket though I have never seen this happen.

For the last thirty years, about three people every two days have been killed in accidents on the streets of BsAs. This is only the Capital City. I have no clue as to Greater BsAs. This doesn't include how many of the eleven people injured daily that die a week or more after the accident.

Here in Buenos Aires Jaywalking is called "acción de cruzar imprudentemente". The person that stopped the jaywalker is part of the "guardia urbana". There are 400 of them all over the city. They were recently empowered to levy fines to jaywalkers, drivers not using their seatbelts, talking on the phone, motorcycle drivers not using a helmet, etc. Currently the form given to each violator with the infraction listed is being used by the city to compile statistics as to the type of violations pedestrians and drivers are committing.

The city has adopted a rigid approach in order to reduce the slaughter of pedestrians and drivers. This year the city government adopted a point system and hefty fines for violations. I drive all over the city and I can say drivers and pedestrians are the worst I've seen in travelling and driving in other countries. It's just as bad as my country, Italy. It's one of the worst in South America and the world.
    You are right except that theoretically it has always been possible to give a ticket to a jay walker and not just now. Also, schoolteachers, priests / ministers etc. etc. can give out a traffic ticket or at least write down the details of the infraction and hand them over to a policeman to write out the ticket though I have never seen this happen.

For the last thirty years, about three people every two days have been killed in accidents on the streets of BsAs. This is only the Capital City. I have no clue as to Greater BsAs. This doesn't include how many of the eleven people injured daily that die a week or more after the accident.

After hitting some apartments this morning I was crossing Nueve De Juilo and this teen aged kid ran across Pelligrini against the light and just about got plowed by a taxi, screeching and smoking tires etc.

One of the PFA's on the corner started blowing his whistle and grabbed the kid by the arm and was laying into him something in Spanish. He then pulled out his ticket book and started writing what looked like a ticket. I did not stick around to see how it ended.

Was he writing a Jay walking ticket? I would have never thought they would write one of those here of all places!

Aqualung can you add some input from your point of view?
    Here in Buenos Aires Jaywalking is called "acción de cruzar imprudentemente". The person that stopped the jaywalker is part of the "guardia urbana". There are 400 of them all over the city. They were recently empowered to levy fines to jaywalkers, drivers not using their seatbelts, talking on the phone, motorcycle drivers not using a helmet, etc. Currently the form given to each violator with the infraction listed is being used by the city to compile statistics as to the type of violations pedestrians and drivers are committing.

The city has adopted a rigid approach in order to reduce the slaughter of pedestrians and drivers. This year the city government adopted a point system and hefty fines for violations. I drive all over the city and I can say drivers and pedestrians are the worst I've seen in travelling and driving in other countries. It's just as bad as my country, Italy. It's one of the worst in South America and the world.

Posting Limitations