Thread: General Questions about Living in Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Of course I defer to the WB

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter
    After hitting some apartments this morning I was crossing Nueve De Juilo and this teen aged kid ran across Pelligrini against the light and just about got plowed by a taxi, screeching and smoking tires etc.

One of the PFA's on the corner started blowing his whistle and grabbed the kid by the arm and was laying into him something in Spanish. He then pulled out his ticket book and started writing what looked like a ticket. I did not stick around to see how it ended.

Was he writing a Jay walking ticket? I would have never thought they would write one of those here of all places!

Aqualung can you add some input from your point of view?
    My guess would be a time and place thing. Major street, tourist area, almost caused a wreck ect. I would have thought a smack across the chops and not a ticket though.

J walking ticket?

After hitting some apartments this morning I was crossing Nueve De Juilo and this teen aged kid ran across Pelligrini against the light and just about got plowed by a taxi, screeching and smoking tires etc.

One of the PFA's on the corner started blowing his whistle and grabbed the kid by the arm and was laying into him something in Spanish. He then pulled out his ticket book and started writing what looked like a ticket. I did not stick around to see how it ended.

Was he writing a Jay walking ticket? I would have never thought they would write one of those here of all places!

Aqualung can you add some input from your point of view?

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Greetings Everyone,

I have moved the discussion regarding Public Wheelchair Accessibility to a new thread.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=5336

I have also moved the discussion regarding Street Protests on Avenida Puyeredon to a new thread.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ead.php?t=5337

Thanks,

Jackson

Starch

Starch is "almidón" and you can ask the (usually) Japanese guy at the cleaners to "almidonar" your clothes. Or you just say "Con almidón, por favor". I hope this helps you,

Chanel.

No hay

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    What is the name they use to get shirts starched at the cleaners.

Also, the name of starch at the Supermercado.
    Sid I don't think they have it, I've tried asking a lot of people about this very thing.

Bank workers to strike

Bank workers are set to strike December 11, 12, 16, and 17. I'm not sure how this will impact the ATM machines. It might be a good idea to accumulate a few pesos before the strike starts.

http://ar.news.yahoo.com/s/03122008/...dias-paro.html

Help on sending money out of AR

I have some colleagues in The USA that have active private and public companies of which of course sell shares.

They have alot of AR Resident prospective clients that have interest in purchasing said shares. The difficulty arises when AR citizen trys to wire money to the USA business acoount. The banks act as if its legal apart from enormous amount of paperwork, but reality is the wires go from the bank to central bank and back and nothing really happens and they give up.

Some have had success sending draft cheques through Banco Piano, but after about 10 clients succeeded in this, Piano also said no mas.

Does anyone know of any other sources or establishments similar to Banco Piano where one get get a draft cheque made out to a USA company frrom a AR Citizen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    This Cockburn reminds me of Mr. Pee You Ropa. I ain't saying that he is a direct reincarnation, but there are some similarities.
    Seems like he'd done some bad bussines lately, and he's a little touchy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    "We"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? You said you were European. On 30 July you posted: "I am from Europe."

So post something useful about pussy, or shut the fuck up. I don't think you've had any pussy since pussy had you.
    This Cockburn reminds me of Mr. Pee You Ropa. I ain't saying that he is a direct reincarnation, but there are some similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cockburn
    But now we are going into a recession.
    "We"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? You said you were European. On 30 July you posted: "I am from Europe."

So post something useful about pussy, or shut the fuck up. I don't think you've had any pussy since pussy had you.

That is my impression too. The last years were indeed very good,

Argentina had an outstanding growth. But now we are going into a recession. It will not be another crash, but it will be worse.

There are a lot of opportunities in Argentina. No doubt about it. After each crise, new opportunities follow. But right now, one should wait, because it is getting worse. Look out, there are infinit ways of getting screwed. The argentinians seldom hold their word.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    You will waste time and much money.

The economy is turning down and will worsen.

Business?

What kind of businnes is possible to do in Argentina right now?

Not only in the Capital but also other area.

How much is the minimum to invest to start a businnes?

Yes yes. I'm confused but very very bored of my life in Europe.

I'm Italian, 25% Argentinian. My father is. And I have on zona sur one sister, but I'm Italian born here on EU.

I'm fluent spanish, I know what quilombo is Argentina.

But my juvenile idea to escape is never died jajajajajaja.

Anyway.

Living expenses

Quote Originally Posted by Goodman 31
    I would like to see a break down of a retirees monthly cost to live in BA.
    It depends on where you want to live and how you want to live. I live in a rural area (45 km to the west of the city) I live on 500 to 600 a month comfortably. This does not include going to the puterias or eating out every night. I have my own place, not very grand compared to US house, but very livable. Of course the capitol is a lot more expensive! Other estimates of around 2000 monthly are probably close to the mark unless you want to live in a shit hole.

Update Volcano

By Antonio de la Jara

PUERTO MONTT, Chile, May 9 (Reuters) - A towering plume of ash from an erupting volcano in Chile's remote Patagonia could rain down on the surrounding area and cause devastating damage, a volcano expert warned on Friday.

Luis Lara, a scientist with the government's geology and mining agency, said the column, which has soared 7.5 miles (12 km) into the air, was at a critical stage.

An abrupt descent would blanket vast areas with deadly hot gas, ash and molten rock, he said.

Authorities have evacuated thousands of people from the immediate vicinity of Chaiten volcano, 760 miles (1,220 km) south of the capital Santiago, and are forcing people within a 30-mile (50-km) radius to leave.

Chaiten began erupting eight days ago for the first time in thousands of years.

"We are at a critical point of this phase given the characteristics (of the eruption) have remained the same for several days," Lara said.

"The volcano is now at its limit and one possibility is that the column could collapse quickly, generating flows of ... material down its ravines," he said.

The column might descend gradually and do little damage. But in the worst-case scenario, the ash and fiery material would engulf the town of Chaiten, just 6 miles (10 km) from the volcano, and the areas around it.

Lara said the volcano could rumble on for years and suggested that the town, which is now deserted, be moved.

SOUTH ARGENTINA ALSO HIT HARD

The cloud has also caked towns on the Argentine side of the border with ash. Satellite images show a white stripe smeared across the southern part of the continent.

Ash that had drifted as far as Buenos Aires dissipated on Friday, and some airlines that had canceled flights overnight resumed service.

But towns in Argentine Patagonia were badly affected, with residents complaining of sore throats due to ash inhalation and being forced to pay exorbitant prices for bottled water because ground water had been contaminated.

Views of dramatic Andean peaks that serve as a natural border between the two countries were obscured by clouds of ash in the Argentine settlement of Trevelin, a popular tourist spot about 60 miles (100 km) from the volcano.

Shop owners put wet cloths and cardboard on the doorsteps as doormats to stop prospective customers from tracking ash into their premises. But they were losing the battle.

Some residents wore masks, but many did not.

"We keep cleaning, but still everything gets dirty at the same time. The dust and ash gets everywhere," said a hotel employee named Alejandra.

Back in Chile, many evacuees had no idea when they might be able to return to their homes and lives, and their frustration was mounting.

"We've been here so many days and no one tells us anything," said Iluminada Ide, who was evacuated to the southern Chilean town of Puerto Montt. "We can't go on like this." (Additional reporting by Jorge Otaloa in Trevelin, Karina Grazina in Buenos Aires) (Writing by Simon Gardner; Editing by Xavier Briand)

This is the latest news.

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    What are you hearing about the volcano in Buenos Aires?

Exon
    This is the latest news. The ash will go in whichever direction the wind blows.

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Direct Link: http://www.mercopress.com/vernoticia...5&formato=html

Ash from the erupting Chaiten volcano in Chilean Patagonia has continued to advance into Argentina and the Southern Atlantic Ocean blanketing the city of Bahia Blanca (800 kilometers south of Buenos Aires City) and adjacent areas in the south of the province of Buenos Aires.

The long dormant volcano located 1.300 kilometers south of Santiago became active last Friday with a 20 kilometers high plume and raining ash over its surroundings forcing the evacuation of an estimated 5.000 people in a radius of 30 kilometers, according to Chile's Emergency Office.

But on Tuesday the dense high plume of ash took a northeasterly turn after moving southeasterly and blanketing with volcanic ash several Argentine cities in the province of Neuquen close to the Andes.

In its new direction ashes reached Bariloche, Argentina's most famous ski resort in the province of Rio Negro and then continued north towards Buenos Aires.

Rodrigo Rojas from the Chilean Emergency Office said that following Chaiten's thundering and double eruption Tuesday, on Wednesday "there have been no reports of significant changes in seismic activity or emission of ashes".

However flights from Buenos Aires were cancelled to most of the major southern Argentine cities because of ash in the air.

"The airports are open but the airlines cancelled flights because the volcanic ash gets in the airplane turbines and could cause material damage," said an aviation official at the Jorge Newbery airport north of Buenos Aires.

One of the main challenges faced by emergency authorities is drinking water because water sources have been contaminated by the volcanic ashes, which has also become a serious problem for livestock and wildlife.

Argentine Environment minister Romina Picolotti who was visiting the areas most affected said that the volcanic ashes "are not toxic" but insisted that all residents must wear dust masks that are being supplied by local and federal relief authorities.

Most schools in many rural areas which had been closed down were gradually reopening and in some locations classes have been suspended until next Friday.

In Chile the evacuees are lodged in Army barracks and school gymnasiums while trucks are distributing drinking water among residents in small locations.

The Chilean Emergency Office has also called on vets to help round up and care pets and other animals which were left behind by fleeing residents from the ash covered towns.

Chilean and Argentine presidents Michelle Bachelet and Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner were on the phone early morning Wednesday to agree on a joint coordination of efforts with the consequences of the volcanic eruption.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chile volcano ash 320.jpg‎  

Posting Limitations