Thread: Cost of maid services

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Chascomus

I try to avoid paying the bus fare.

I try to find a maid in the area of the apartment I need the weekly service. This way I avoid paying any bus fare or extras.

If they do have to come from further away, I just give them an increase but I don't say."the $4 is for the bus ride". They can choose how they come and go. I just don't want to get involved in their transportation. They can take a taxi if they want. Their choice, I just make sure they are paid well for their job. There is something very "Peronista" about paying their transportation.

Two day work week

Sr. Jackson,.

Now that you've put it that way, I think that my helper insists on a three day workweek so she can accumulate more workhours thus increasing her pay. I'm sure she won't be too thrilled about it, but will I will suggest that she only come twice a week. I live in a two bedroom apartment not a mansion so I presume she can get everything done in eight hours a week.

I hope she does not quit because finding help in Argentina is quite difficult. I don't know why this is the case given the high unemployment rate in the city.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnDown
    I should have read this thread earlier because I presume I was quoted the gringo price since I am paying my maid A$ 12 per hour with a four hour minimum per day. She only visits my apartment three times a week. According to her the price is such because the visits are not frequent enough which makes it like a part-time arrangement. I am still at a quandry if her argument is valid under accepted Argentine practice.

Does your helper do ironing work, because according to my maid this is considered extra work, hence, an additional pay is necessary. Just curious if any of you gets the same flak from your helpers.
    Hi ComeOnDown,

Three times a week? That sounds like overkill to me. You must do some heavy partying, or else your maid is working in slow motion.

My maid comes once a week, and during her 4 hour visit she does all the heavy cleaning, (vacuums, mops all the floors) cleans two bathrooms, goes to the laundry and the dry cleaners, puts all my clothes away, and leaves my apartment in pristine condition. I imagine that she would also do the ironing, but I find it easier just to pay the laundry to iron everything.

My maid can clean my two rental apartments in about 3 hours each (including trips to the laundry and the grocery store) but she does them twice a week, so it makes sense that each visit is a bit shorter. Like I said, I don't begrudge her the 4 hour minimum, although I guess I could skirt the 4 hour minimum because technically she does both apartments in the same day for a 6 hour total, and I'm sure that there are some people who would use that argument to save themselves the $20 pesos.

You commented that your maid wants extra money to do the ironing, which I don't understand. If it was to take her extra time, then of course you'd need to pay her for the extra time, but I'd still want to know what she's doing for the first 12 hours you're paying her for each week.

Thanks,

Jackson

Maid's wages

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    I pay my maid $10 pesos per hour, with a 4 hour minimum, plus $4 pesos for bus fare, to clean my apartments. She can clean my apartments in about 3 hours, but I don't begrudge her the $10 pesos per hour or the 4 hour minimum because she's so reliable.

Chascomus, what surprises me is that you don't pay for a 4 hour minimum or for bus fare? It was my understanding from living here in BA for 5 years that this was standard.

Thanks,

Jackson
    I should have read this thread earlier because I presume I was quoted the gringo price since I am paying my maid A$ 12 per hour with a four hour minimum per day. She only visits my apartment three times a week. According to her the price is such because the visits are not frequent enough which makes it like a part-time arrangement. I am still at a quandry if her argument is valid under accepted Argentine practice.

Does your helper do ironing work, because according to my maid this is considered extra work, hence, an additional pay is necessary. Just curious if any of you gets the same flak from your helpers.
    Last edited by ComeOnDown; 01-30-08 at 17:51. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    Mongers-

The "real" hourly wage for maids is only $6-$8 AR per hour, so if you are paying more than that they are taking advantage of the fact that you are a foreigner. Keep in mind that the average monthly wage is around $1200 AR now, which averages out to $7.50 AR per hour. People working as maids are not getting paid more than the average worker in a shop, government office, or a police officer.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler
    Dirk, you are correct about the "real hourly wage" being between AR$6-8 pesos. However, you are not factoring in the cost of "Aportes why Cargas Sociales" (fringe benefits that all workers get if the work is legit and taxes paid. These fringe benefits costs about 60% of salary. Therefore, technically the person earning 6-8 pesos an hour cost the employer $AR10-13pesos per hour.

Usually, every employer who pays his employee about AR$1,200 pesos per month will pay for the following fringe benefits:

1) Convenio colectivo: AR$ 50 pesos.

2) 2.5% caja proteccion familiar: AR$40 pesos.

3) S.U.S.S.S. Why Obra social -aportes and contributions: AR$600 pesos.

4) Seguro Riesgo del Trabajo: AR$60 pesos.

These so called fringe benefits are about 60% of pay.

Technically, for those of you who are paying the maid "under the table" (en negro) if she were to report you to AFIP you will have to pay all back taxes and fringe benefits plus fines.

For more than a year AFIP had urged maids to call a free 0800 number and report employers hiring maids under the table and become legitimate employees with retirement benefits.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    I pay my maid $10 pesos per hour, with a 4 hour minimum, plus $4 pesos for bus fare, to clean my apartments. She can clean my apartments in about 3 hours, but I don't begrudge her the $10 pesos per hour or the 4 hour minimum because she's so reliable.

Chascomus, what surprises me is that you don't pay for a 4 hour minimum or for bus fare? It was my understanding from living here in BA for 5 years that this was standard.

Thanks,

Jackson

Mongers-

The "real" hourly wage for maids is only $6-$8 AR per hour, so if you are paying more than that they are taking advantage of the fact that you are a foreigner. Keep in mind that the average monthly wage is around $1200 AR now, which averages out to $7.50 AR per hour. People working as maids are not getting paid more than the average worker in a shop, government office, or a police officer.

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

My house keeper charges $ 50 pesos per apartment. The apartments are usually between 70-80 sq meters, and she cleans them within 3-4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomus
    So how does everyone else compare?

My maid charges about 25 pesos to clean a small one bedroom that takes about 3 hours. She also brings the laundry back and forth to the cleaners. I've compared with others, I think this is the best deal considering she is good and reliable.
    Pretty good deal, she will probally ask for a raise soon.

Going rate is around 10 peso now

Cost of maid services

So how does everyone else compare?

My maid charges about 25 pesos to clean a small one bedroom that takes about 3 hours. She also brings the laundry back and forth to the cleaners. I've compared with others, I think this is the best deal considering she is good and reliable.

Posting Limitations