Thread: DNI - Documento Nacionál de Identidad

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Born To Die
    I guess what I am looking for is someone to do the leg work with knowledge of what is needed to achieve residency. I have a unique case and I need to speak to a knowledgeable person. I have spent a year on this already and with the same credentials as my brother in-law (Mendoza) I have not received residency and he has inside of 2 months.
    Hire an immigration attorney if you want something close to a definitive answer. The other advantage in doing that is they usually know someone who can smooth the process along.

Argentina generally doesn't hand out residency for no reason. You'll need to bring something to the table - I. E. Buying property, starting a business, retiring, working, etc.

Jackson thanks for the interest.

I guess what I am looking for is someone to do the leg work with knowledge of what is needed to achieve residency. I have a unique case and I need to speak to a knowledgeable person. I have spent a year on this already and with the same credentials as my brother in-law (Mendoza) I have not received residency and he has inside of 2 months.

I researched the living piss out of it twice, once a couple of years ago and once over the last two days. Cannot find any verification anywhere of any such requirement.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    0��� (link did not paste correctly)

www.worldtravels.com

Says that US citizens, Australians, Kiwis, and South Africans are allowed unlimited entries of three months (or maybe it says 90 days) It does not say that about UK nationals, Irish, or Canadians. This is consistent with my earlier research. I don't think there is any 180 per year limit for Americans. I could not find anything about it on the Argentinean immigration web site, either. I have been here over 300 days in 2005, 2006, and 2007 and was also here over 180 days in 2004.
    The entire subject warrants further research.

Personally, I can't find a definitive answer on any Argentine Government website or from any other source. However, many popular sport fucking destinations (Thailand, Brazil) and many countries in Latin America that I have visited do have such a limitation.

Thanks,

Jackson

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Born To Die
    Argentina Residency I suggest has lost her other brain cell and has nothing left for the other brain cell to rub against to produce a thought.
    Hi Born To Die,

What exactly does that mean?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jackson

Well thanks

I have good reasons to be an resident did not really want to spark a couch expert opinion poll, but I just wanted a little help so I did not have to get off my ass. Argentina Residency I suggest has lost her other brain cell and has nothing left for the other brain cell to rub against to produce a thought. And just as an aside I still very much love this country.

BTD

I have been here over 300 days in 2005, 2006, and 2007 and was also here over 180 days in 2004.
    All I can say is: Mira Vos.

Suerte.

Stowe

180 days per year

0��� (link did not paste correctly)

www.worldtravels.com

Says that US citizens, Australians, Kiwis, and South Africans are allowed unlimited entries of three months (or maybe it says 90 days) It does not say that about UK nationals, Irish, or Canadians. This is consistent with my earlier research. I don't think there is any 180 per year limit for Americans. I could not find anything about it on the Argentinean immigration web site, either. I have been here over 300 days in 2005, 2006, and 2007 and was also here over 180 days in 2004.

Well, I have been living here for many years and I plan to live here for many more years, probably, maybe or not. Note that an international driver's license is only valid in conjunction with another (valid) driver's license. In fact it is a translation of information contained on the other driver's license. For Americans it is primarily necessary when driving in countries that use other alphabets, like Greece, Bulgaria, Thailand, etc.

To be honest I think the only two factors for getting one would be.

1) Not having to take the ferry once every couple of months.

2) Paying local airfares.

Other than that, if you're not planning on living here for many many years, there is no real reason for getting one.

FYI.

*You can get an Argentinian Drivers License without a DNI.

* You can get an International Drivers License and drive anywhere in the world.

* You can buy and sell property without a DNI.

Regards,

BM.

Administrator

Hi,

You are correct that my previously quoted costs were only the fees paid to the Immigration Dept.

As I recall, the fees for my FBI report and the local arrest record were not significant. Also, I believe that the translation fee was somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 pesos, but that was 4 years ago, so I'm sure it's at least double that now.

Moore would be better able to answer the citizenship / Argentina passport questions as he's been through it.

The Permanent Residency DOES NOT convey Mercosur privileges as I discovered when planning a trip to Rio a few months ago, said privileges being based solely upon one's passport.

Thanks,

Jackson

That was the total cost? Including the FBI report and local police report and the translations thereof?

I looked around a lot on that 180 days per year thing and I never was able to verify it, although I found something that said it applied to UK nationals.

9-Toe Moe got an Argie driver's license and he did not have a DNI.

How long do you have to have residency before you can apply for citizenship and a passport? Does the DNI convey Mercosur privileges, meaning the right to go to the other Mercosur countries without using your US passport?

#1 and #7 are the only ones on Jackson's list that would really matter to me. I am getting really sick of that stupid boat ride.

Administrator

So for those of you who got residency, I have two questions:

1) How much did it cost? And.

2) What the fuck are the advantages?
    DH,

It cost me $400 ARS when I first applied, and $300 ARS to renew it two years later. Upon the next renewal next year it becomes permanent with no further renewals required.

The advantages to me:

1. I don't have to leave the country every 90 days to renew my visa.

2. I am not in technical violation of Argentina's immigration laws by being here more than 180 days a year.

3. When arriving here at the airport I can breeze through immigration via the Citizens/Residents line instead of waiting behind all the tourists in the Visitors line.

4. I get the Argentina Citizen's price for domestic airline flights.

5. I can legally hold a job, offer services and/or operate a business here.

6. I am no longer dependent on my home country's passport and can in fact legally live here permanently without it.

7. It makes it much more difficult to deport me in the event that I should be involved in some sort of legally objectionable incident.

Thanks,

Jackson

1) How much did it cost? And.

1) the real cost it's 200 pesos.

2) the adventages are:

- Not getting imprissioned when a police procedure occurs, for example, when in a middle of a riot, and you show your expired visa passport.

- The ability of getting a local driver's license.

- You can SELL property, (depending on the notary public, some will not allow you to SELL property with the CDI only)

- You can show your Argentine DNI to the russian maffia, and they will respect you as a real gangster.

I have been living here for four years, and I have no DNI, no residency, no nothing. And, talking to those people who do have residency, I see no advantage in having it. None whatsoever at all. It just seems to give you the ability to do things you don't want to do anyway, like have an Argentinean bank account. Hello? The banks here are totally crooked so why deal with them?

So for those of you who got residency, I have two questions:

1) How much did it cost? And

I just don't understand.

Posting Limitations