Thread: DNI - Documento Nacionál de Identidad

+ Submit Report
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Cdi

Not to add to the confusion, I just want to share a personal experience with regards to financial transactions. I was able to buy a car as well as open a peso bank account with Banco Galicia by merely presenting my passport and my CDI. I was able to secure my CDI in a day.

If you have a red DNI are you considered a resident, can you return whenever you please, and is it valid for the rest of your life?

Mongers-

Every single one of you is a least a bit confused about the purpose and differences between a DNI, CUIL, CUIT, and CDI. Once a person has legal residency (other than a student or temporary retiree visa) he may obtain a personal CUIL, which is a PERSONAL taxpayer identification number. On my paystubs from my job in Argentina, my CUIL is posted. On the other hand, a CUIT is the tax indentification number of a business or corporation. A CDI is a seperate tax identification number, different than both a CUIL or CUIT, which is required for foreigners to buy property. A DNI is the primary personal identification document that Argentine residents need to conduct all their official business including travel between Mercosur member states. A green DNI is that of an Argentine CITIZEN, whereas a red DNI is that of a RESIDENT FOREIGNER. Another misnomer is that once a RESIDENT FOREIGNER has obtained his DNI, he may travel to neighboring countries that would otherwise require a visa of his nationality visa free- this is completely false. Your nationality is clearly displayed in your RESIDENT FOREIGNER DNI and you will not be permitted to pass without the necessary visas (Brasil, Paraguay)

Suerte,

Dirk Diggler

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan
    I highly doubt this.
    Ask Argento.

I have lived more then 6 months a year in Argentina for the last 3 years and have no reason / need for a DNI

I highly doubt this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redondo
    You can live 20 years abroad, but your DNI will always be valid.

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan
    Redondo.

A DNI doesn't automatically make you a citizen. It does mean you are at least a legal resident. If you think it is very important for you to get one, then by all means do so. There are some (myself included) that don't believe it is an integral part of living and functioning in Argentina. That is all.

BM.
    My initial point was that you always have to be allowed into a Argentina with a DNI this is correct.

You can live 20 years abroad, but your DNI will always be valid.

This could be a reason for some people to apply for a DNI

Redondo.

A DNI doesn't automatically make you a citizen. It does mean you are at least a legal resident. If you think it is very important for you to get one, then by all means do so. There are some (myself included) that don't believe it is an integral part of living and functioning in Argentina. That is all.

BM.

If you have a DNI you are a citizen of Argentina and you must be allowed in to the country.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    If you have a DNI you are a citizen of Argentina and you must be allowed in to the country.

Did your parents teach you to insult?
    Redondo, you ignorant ****.

Wrong again. Citizens of other countries who have an Argentine residency can obtain a DNI, and of course the aformentioned group are not Argentine citizens.

And no, I learned to insult idiots all by myself. It's a natural response to my inability to easily suffer fools.

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    Greetings everyone,

I know that this is "The Critic-Free Zone", but there's an exception for Redondo because he is what's known as a "Reoccurring Idiot".

Redondo, you ignorant ****: As has already been discussed several times in this forum, a DNI and a residency have no connection with each other. A DNI is a tax ID number, and a residency is the permission to live in the country. Thus, in the event that "things go wrong in your country", one would need a residency to live here in Argentina, not a DNI.

Thanks,

Jackson

Did your parents teach you to insult?

Dni

Argento,

We have written the same thing at the same time - you just were a bit faster!

A few comments.

First, the confusion of DNI vs. CUIT.

The DNI is the "Documento Nacionál de Identidad". It IS not a number, it HAS one, and it is the identity document every Argentine citizen has to bear, and which, among other things, enables him to travel to adjacent countries, but also identifies him in all kinds of official and private business. This type of document is known in a lot of countries (including my own) to me the anglo - saxon part of the world seems to be the exception of this habit.

And, apart from Argentine nationals, it is also issued to foreigners with a legal residential status. Compare it to a green card.

Second, good life costs money. And for most people, the reason of getting up in the morning and engage in some sort of commercial activity is to earn that money they need / want to have a decent to good life, today and during the days after they retire from said activities. And that women are part of a good life is, as I assume, general consensus on this board. And the traditional way, and fortunately latin societies are quite traditional, is that the gentleman pays the bill.

I understand both the points of Thomaso, whom I consider a personal friend, and from whom I know that he earned his money the hard way, as well as tha one of Mpexy. I also invited a lady I met through the "hobby" to my country, and I was rewarded by some of the most unforgettable days of my life. And that's not only sex. That's the joy in the eyes of somebody who has never seen snow in her life when driving through wintery mountains. And throwing snowballs. And that is something a million bucks can't buy.

I have never been overly attracted by "model types". That has to do with that I don't feel too comfortable in the glamorous world, and with the fact that I very well know a professional photographer wo describes models as the most stupid species on the planet. It is all a question of personal abilities and preferences.

Just 2 centavos de.

El Alemán

DNI. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    I've asked this question a number of times in person and on this forum, and I have yet to get an answer, but here it is again:

Why would anyone voluntarily obtain a Tax ID number by registering themselves with the Argentina tax authorities, thus deliberately placing themselves under the auspices of said tax authorities, all to have a tax ID number that they do not need?

This is not a rhetorical question, I really want to know. Is there some advantage that I'm unaware of? I know you don't need a DNI to open a bank account, buy health insurance, or buy a car, or to buy property, so it's not for those reasons. Does having a DNI (instead of a CUIT) make it easier to buy and sell property here in Argentina?

Thanks,

Jackson
    The DNI is an identification document. Compulsory for all Argentinos and all permanent residents.

The CUIT is your tax file number and if you are not in receipt of monies earned in Argentina, there is no tax or reports to be made or paid. In my case since I do not receive income here, I have never made a report or been requested to make a report. So it is not a hassle. But the CUIT is the document you need to buy a property and to sell it.

To answer your question Jackson, the DNI makes no difference in the buying and selling of property but does have great advantages in travel. No need for visas for the other attached countries to Argentina. Just the DNI. No passport either required and it sure as hell is much more convenient in size than a passport. Especially for the million and one times your ID is demanded. And there is no need ever to do a visa run again. I have had mine for 17 years and it never goes out of date.

Suerte.

Argento

Retired Member

"Reoccurring Idiot".

I like that phrase, not quite as good as ""CockSucker" but it gets the point across.

Exon

AFAIK your DNI and CUIT are (almost) the same number, meaning that if there is a difference, it is only in the first bit.

You need a CUIT to buy the property, otherwise the escritura can not be completed, leaving you with only a very expensive piece of paper, but without the property.

The moment you have a DNI, you automatically have a CUIT.

Please correct me if I am wrong. (Aqualung?)

Seaman

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney Riley
    If you've gone to the trouble of getting on the permanent residency track, it strikes me as somewhat ridiculous not to go ahead and get your DNI. Not that you need it, but at that point, why not?
    I've asked this question a number of times in person and on this forum, and I have yet to get an answer, but here it is again:

Why would anyone voluntarily obtain a Tax ID number by registering themselves with the Argentina tax authorities, thus deliberately placing themselves under the auspices of said tax authorities, all to have a tax ID number that they do not need?

This is not a rhetorical question, I really want to know. Is there some advantage that I'm unaware of? I know you don't need a DNI to open a bank account, buy health insurance, or buy a car, or to buy property, so it's not for those reasons. Does having a DNI (instead of a CUIT) make it easier to buy and sell property here in Argentina?

Thanks,

Jackson

Posting Limitations