Thread: DNI - Documento Nacionál de Identidad

+ Submit Report
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Redondo
    Good report and another reason to get a DNI is that it's easy to have Argentina as a refugee if things go wrong in your country (civil war, etc)
    Greetings everyone,

I know that this is "The Critic-Free Zone", but there's an exception for Redondo because he is what's known as a "Reoccurring Idiot".

Redondo, you ignorant ****: As has already been discussed several times in this forum, a DNI and a residency have no connection with each other. A DNI is a tax ID number, and a residency is the permission to live in the country. Thus, in the event that "things go wrong in your country", one would need a residency to live here in Argentina, not a DNI.

Thanks,

Jackson

Good report and another reason to get a DNI is that it's easy to have Argentina as a refugee if things go wrong in your country (civil war, etc)

I was wondering if an Argentine buys clothes she can pass me the receipts and I can claim the tax-free refund with my EU pasport?

And does this work if you are Argentinian with an European pasport?

Buying and Selling Property

I'm no expert, but my experience from buying, selling, and then buying a second property in Argentina, showed me.

1 You need a CUIT.

2 You don't need a DNI.

3 Buying is straightforward, but to sell, my only problem was that I needed proof of a divorce. i.e.. From the UK the original divorce document had to be approved by the Foreign Office and then translated by an official translator here in Argentina.

More or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy
    Long and boring, so my short version was - living here (in whatever sense) and buying property, does not need a DNI. End of story.
    Not referring to a DNI per se, but related.

From what I am seeing around town lately, the lack of permanent residency might come back to haunt you when you go to sell the property. From what I am seeing, people without permanent residency have a much more difficult time selling than those who bothered to get it. This is all anecdotal, and in the end I could be entirely wrong. But the several expats I know who have recently sold or are tying to sell their properties fall into two clearly delineated categories: those with permanent residence, who find selling relatively easy, and those without, who are having a royal pain in the ass selling.

If you've gone to the trouble of getting on the permanent residency track, it strikes me as somewhat ridiculous not to go ahead and get your DNI. Not that you need it, but at that point, why not?

DNI. The real story.

Long and boring, so my short version was - living here (in whatever sense) and buying property, does not need a DNI. End of story.
    When you apply for permanent residence, you get a visa stamp in your passport and you also get a DNI. That is the way it works. For property purchase you need a CUIT or taxation number. This is seperate from the DNI. Argentinians and permanent residents need their DNI and foreigners need their passport when applying for a CUIT. And you need the CUIT to buy a property. End of story.

DNI - Documento Nacionál de Identidad

On DNI -

I could totally be wrong and it's not worth me calling my local lawyer here again to check but from what I was told and understand a) yes, you can get legal residency to live here permanently without tourist visa, without getting a DNI. So I understand that residency and DNI are separate things.

But b) you can not get a DNI without establishing residency, so when someone says I went through and got my DNI, it means they are also a legal permanent resident. (there is a separate foreign corporate or business tax ID that you can apply for without establishing any personal residency but that's a whole separate topic and aside from this discussion)

And c) my reference to DNI was in the context that as far as living here full time and owning property - you did not need a DNI. (living here full time in the sense whether you are an actual legal permanent resident or just permanent as in this is your home of operations but you still have to do the Colonia run)

When I first consulted my USA based international properties lawyer (my company has purchased property assets in various countries abroad so I keep one on retainer at a local LA firm) he initially advised me that in order to purchase property here in Argentina, I either should or would need to get a DNI either personally or in the equivalent of the USA TID for corporations or business entities. Now this might be because I was going to and did purchase my property as a classified business asset as far as US tax paying regulations go. But either way, when I then had that checked with a local Argentine firm, they provided a means for me to buy and classify my property as either personal or business asset as far as the US was concerned, and still legally own the property here without a DNI.

Administrator

Venues: 398

DNI - Documento Nacionál de Identidad

Thread Starter.

Posting Limitations