Thread: Computer Questions

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by BadMan

Outlook

If you check the tool bar at the bottom of the screen you should see "Microsoft Outlook" listed. Left click on it and you should pull up the program and be able to close it using the "File" drop down menu and selct "Exit" that should get you out. If the problem is it comes up each time you start the computer, you can go to "Start Up" under "All Programs" and turn it off there, but you will have to start it manually each time you wish to get it going again.

You probably need to go to the Windows Task Manager. You can get there through the control panel, I think, or hit Shift-Control-Delete a couple of times (but not a bunch of times, because it will generally turn the computer off) and then select to close the MS outlook program from the list of programs.

Closing microsoft outlook?

Anybody know the quick and easy way to close Microsoft Outlook? I can't update my anti virus program without closing it, and so far I am batting.000.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by El Aleman
    Amen.

Today a big part of an admin's work is dealing with the shit the users are producing - getting themselves viruses, installing shit they downloaded from the net (you can prohibit that 2576 times in your IT policy, to no avail if you have to leave them power user rights because otherwise one if your killer apps don't work anymore) and so on.
    Our teleworkers and frequent travelers are the worst. I recently instituted a internal back bill policy where I charge $400 per hour for my techs to fix / rebuild a malware trashed machine - after data transfer etc. A full rebuild averages 3 hours which is usually less time than it takes to fully clean and repair a trashed machine. Once Mr. Ms. Manager gets the bill the individual discipline seems to get better. It's evil but it works and, in the long run, saves my staff a lot of hours "fixing" abused machines.

Zappaman

Zappa,

Amen.

I 100% agree to whatever you write. I suffered from it long enough, since NT3.5 on my servers and the DOS based windows on my clients.

There is just one differenc between the old days you are referring to, and today. In the old VM (or UNIX) days, a computer, or better a terminal was a thing the user had in his office, and was running one or 2 applications, knowing (and caring about) nothing behind it. For that, there were the system guys, who got paid for keeping the stuff running. And in these days, that meant installing updates, dealing with broken hardware, making backups, etc. The typical user did not even think about having a computer at home.

Today a big part of an admin's work is dealing with the shit the users are producing - getting themselves viruses, installing shit they downloaded from the net (you can prohibit that 2576 times in your IT policy, to no avail if you have to leave them power user rights because otherwise one if your killer apps don't work anymore) and so on.

And as everybody has his / her PC at home, he is used to do some admin work himself, and thinks, well that worked at home, so it can't be such a task.

You know what I am laking about. And now better have some fun.

Cheers,

Al Alemán

Quote Originally Posted by Hound
    Anyone using encryption systems such as FileVault or Bit Locker might want to read about how they've been broken / compromised.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...chers-dis.html
    All of it is eventually broken / compromised. Unless you are working with seriously top secret stuff (which someone else is actively looking for) who cares? The chances of someone getting your data, then having the correct decryption tools and knowing how to use them are about 1 million times less than the average person locking themselves out of their own data while trying to "protect" it.

Zappadork

El Aleman,

You are correct. Vista is another nightmare for Microshit. Most businesses (that I am aware of) don't want to go there and personaly I know of two quite large corporations that tested and decided "no way". In my own, we are targeting 4th quarter of this year for initial implementation but only on new entry hardware and we have not locked into that. All in all Vista is a big fat, bloated, pig of an OS that is difficult for the average user to get a decent comfort level with. I think Microshit will eventually get it "right" but god only knows when.

The security aspects are a bit funny, because it was the core architecture that exposed the earlier Windows builds (NT and up) I am an old VMS guy and NT was derived, to a degree, from that. Problem was they left out some core and key concepts from the beginning.

Your also very correct about programming and doing it right. There are a lot of "old timer" Microshit guys who are very bitter that pop culture blames all the problems on MS. The truth is the supportive application industry for Windows took their own fast path ways to roll out applications without any regard to doing it in such a way as to allow "least privileged" philosophy to be applied. To be fair, Microsoft also chose the fast money path over forcing application developers to do it correctly - same goes for hardware and the supporting code and inherent firmware.

However, Microshit (and all other modern workstation OS developers) have missed the boat, in general, too. When I started working as a systems guy 26 years ago the key mantra was: "If anyone is noticing the OS, then something is wrong - the customer should only care about the application and how well it does it's job". Back in the "old days", the average person had not one clue what VM or VMS or even Unix meant. Hell, they did not even know what an operating system was. Now all everyone talks about is Windows or Linux when, all in all, they are just the foundation of the means to an end. The original Mac OS was the only workstation based OS that anyone ever cared to not notice was there behind their applications. To me, that old mantra is still dead on true. One should not need to be an automotive engineer to ensure their car gets them to and from the grocery store as well as the computer user (whether corporate or private) should not have to care about the engine of their computer, or have it "get in the way". Of course, the only way to ensure the industry provides that is to quit buying their shit until they get it right, just like the American public did to the U. S. Auto industry in the '80s. Feeding the beasts who make this shit and then bitching about it after the fact is a tad counterproductive.

All apologies for the rambling diatribe - I did not yet get to my morning doobie today.

Cheers, from the babbling idiot.

Encryption compromised

Anyone using encryption systems such as FileVault or Bit Locker might want to read about how they've been broken / compromised.

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...chers-dis.html

Zappa, I know I have been polemic, but with a reason. Of course I know that behind the schenes there is a hell of a lot of improvememt in Vista compared to the old NT family (NT, 2000, XP) in security and other things. Btw. What Guiller refers to in the eyes of Microsoft is also "security"!

What I really dislike in Vista is how slow it behaves - even in up to date hardware. I can live without windows that shade away instead of just getting closed, but I hate to wait for the response of a stupid machine. And the other thing I don't like is a byproduct of the enhanced security - asking me 25 times if I am really sure to have thought over diligently my decision to try some potentially dangerous system function. Why not offer the option to open a terminal window, su+ myself, do my administrative tasks, knowing what I am doing, and then just get back out?

What Windows is missing, more and more from version to version, is an "expert mode", where the details are not hidden. The more user friendly they are trying to make it, the more admin unfriendly it gets.

Along with this, of course, should also come the understanding for programmers that an application is only an application if it runs without problems under a normal, unpriviledged, user account.

2 cents from.

El Alemán

ISG via mobile web browsing

Does anyone have a clue why I cannot post or respond to pm's via my blackberry 8820 web browser?

Might it have something to do with security issues? I am new to mobile web browsing.

Otherwise I can access everything else. I can even send myself maps and casa lists in pdf files. I love my new toy!

I asked the same question on ISG but it got buried.

Why Vista

Bingo! Dead on bullseye El Aleman.

Well, also it's core structure as an OS was completely rewritten as well. From a professional's point of view Vista is not a terrible thing but for a layman it will probably remain a large pain in the ass for quite some time.

But yes, you need kick ass hardware to make it seem smooth and fast - not just CPU but a very good chipset, plus very good video and quality, high speed, disk drives. A "discount" Vista box will not be a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by El Aleman
    The only official way to get downgrades to XP is through the OEM who preinstalled Vista on the computer, and that only to the premium versions of Vista, not the consumer line.

I think that was a response of Microsoft to some unfriendly phone calls from large OEM's like IBM or HP that sell a lot in the corporate market, and who got equally unfriendly phone calls from their main clients. As a little private guy who bought his machine from the usual consumer outlets you are doomed tu use Vista, unless you just buy an off the shelf copy of XP, or maybe still have one from an old machine.

And the reason for Vista is simple: without an operating system that uses 95% of the CPU's capacity for itself, nobody (except extreme gamers) would need tha latest generation of Intel and AMD's processors. For normal work and fun, like writing, spreadsheets, surfing the net, email, an occasional movie etc. 2005's hardware with XP is more than sufficient.

El Alemán

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Master J
    How can Microsoft come out with such an undesireable program?
    That's easy. They have a monopoly. Those smug bastards can do what they please. And no matter what you HAVE to buy the license if your purchasing a new pc.

BM, what skin do you speak of?
    The skin is a Bricopack.

Vista Inspirat 2 Config to be exact. It also comes with a rocketdock that makes it's user interface look and function much like a mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Guiller
    My guess is that most of the development has been put into improving mechanisms for fighting against ilegal software, but this has not been recognized offically. But this is only my guess.

All the best
    MS did spend lots of resouces on vista security.

Many components that come with vista now run in two / multiple tiers to enhance the security. That also makes certain things run slower. Well, all anti virus software slow your system down anyway.

How can Microsoft come out with such an undesireable program? BM, what skin do you speak of?
    My guess is that most of the development has been put into improving mechanisms for fighting against ilegal software, but this has not been recognized offically. But this is only my guess.

All the best

Vista downgrade

The only official way to get downgrades to XP is through the OEM who preinstalled Vista on the computer, and that only to the premium versions of Vista, not the consumer line.

I think that was a response of Microsoft to some unfriendly phone calls from large OEM's like IBM or HP that sell a lot in the corporate market, and who got equally unfriendly phone calls from their main clients. As a little private guy who bought his machine from the usual consumer outlets you are doomed tu use Vista, unless you just buy an off the shelf copy of XP, or maybe still have one from an old machine.

And the reason for Vista is simple: without an operating system that uses 95% of the CPU's capacity for itself, nobody (except extreme gamers) would need tha latest generation of Intel and AMD's processors. For normal work and fun, like writing, spreadsheets, surfing the net, email, an occasional movie etc. 2005's hardware with XP is more than sufficient.

El Alemán

Posting Limitations