Thread: Airline Talk

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Artisttyp

Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    Next month I fly in with LAN, going home I fly with TAM.

My question is the about the flight going home, it goes to Brasilia first, then to Miami and San Francisco.

I booked through Travelocity, and I can not get a straight answer from them. Even LAN which is part of TAM does not does know.

They told me to call TSA. Which has nothing to do with customs or immigration in Brazil.

Will I need a Visa to land in Brazil, or will I be in-transit and don't need one?

Last year I flew through Mexico City to get to Ecuador. They do not have in-transit, so I had to go through Customs, security and the whole 9 yards.

I will never fly through Mexico City ever again. What a screw up that was. About 4 hundred people waiting in line to go through their shit.

It was the same coming home.

On my trip to Cali, Colombia I few through Panama and was in-transit. So I did not have to go through customs, etc.

Has anyone flown this route to the States?
    Over the years I have gone through Rio and Sao Paulo, no visa is required.

Don B.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Don B For This Post:

My flight home

Next month I fly in with LAN, going home I fly with TAM.

My question is the about the flight going home, it goes to Brasilia first, then to Miami and San Francisco.

I booked through Travelocity, and I can not get a straight answer from them. Even LAN which is part of TAM does not does know.

They told me to call TSA. Which has nothing to do with customs or immigration in Brazil.

Will I need a Visa to land in Brazil, or will I be in-transit and don't need one?

Last year I flew through Mexico City to get to Ecuador. They do not have in-transit, so I had to go through Customs, security and the whole 9 yards.

I will never fly through Mexico City ever again. What a screw up that was. About 4 hundred people waiting in line to go through their shit.

It was the same coming home.

On my trip to Cali, Colombia I few through Panama and was in-transit. So I did not have to go through customs, etc.

Has anyone flown this route to the States?

You are right concerning the boarding procedures. In Frankfurt, where I usually fly out of, the gate areas are so small, that if 1/3 of a 747 load gets up and forms a crowd in front of the gate, there is just no way of getting by. The do call (at least Lufthansa does) First / business / Star alliance gold first, but trying to get past that crowd is just close to impossible.

In Ezeiza, unbeleivable, they manage to form 2 different lines. A few things do work in Argentina.

I was more thinking of on board service when writing my post.

Ground service sucks everywhere. Just one little example: about a year ago, I was on a Lufthansa flight Munich to GRU, and after passing the French atlantic coast, they got a technical problem, and decided to go back. So far, so good, certainly a wise decision not to cross the South Atlantic with a crack in a cockpit window. We went to Frankfurt, as that's Lufthansa's main hub with their maintenance facilities. They told us there would be a replacement plane within a few hours.

On the ground, there were exactly 5 ground staff personal. 2 were busy preventing passengers to leave the gate area, 2 more took care that nervous smokers did not succumb to their vice, and 1 (ONE) tried to answer questions like "what about my connecting flights", however with a standard response: "we will take care of that in Sao Paolo".

In Sao Paolo, of course, nobody knew anything about connecting flights.

The only good thing was that in the replacement I could sweet talk myself into business, which had been close to empty.

Ok, improvisation is not a German strength. They are much better at this in countries where things going wrong is the norm, not the exception. Anyway, I would expect some sort of a plan for situations like this, especially if they happen at an airline's home base, and during the day.

El Alemán

Quote Originally Posted by El Aleman
    To avoid this, JC's strategy of boarding early certainly helps. I often try the same. It's just not always easy. Trying to get by an angry crowd waving a gold card might get you killed.

El Alemán
    I find that if you dress the part (button down shirt / dress shoes) they won't say anything if you board early.

I never said I don't get the space. I just feel bad for other people that lose out. Yes Iberia was one of the airlines that came to mind. I've never flown with them but I've heard nightmare stories about their service. I think you are allowed one bag at 20 kilos?

More room in coach

Quote Originally Posted by El Aleman
    As far as service goes, at my experience U. S. Carriers are the worst. The Europeans, as long as you avoid Alitalia and Iberia, somewhere in the middle. About the Asians, I have just to beleive what others say, but I consistently hear the same (good) things.
    Well, I've seen some European planes have some of the worst boarding procedures. KLM always seems like everyone is blocking the way to the boarding gate, even when they manage to call the Elite members and FC cabin, it's like wading through quicksand. You mentioned Alitalia, and that's pretty bad, even if you booked in the front of the plane!

I guess that most of the US airlines that I fly on, I have elite status. So that either gets me an early boarding, or in the second group on the plane. What many people don't get is that if you're elite on say, Continental, that will get you early boarding on NW, DL, KL, AF, OK, KE, SU, AM and other Skyteam airlines.

Some airlines also give people sitting in the emergency exit row early boarding too.

And a great idea is if you want extra rooms to go onto www.seatguru.com and check out the airline / aircraft you're flying. A few minutes before boarding, I'll often ask if there are any seats that have an empty seat next to them. If you're polite, it often works great. Sometimes the elite section of coach (depending on the airline 5-10 rows) will have plenty of empty seats, while the back of the aircraft will not have an empty seat for 20 rows!

Artisttyp, you are certainly right that you should have enough overhead space. Fact is that in reality very often you don't. The reason for that is some people carrying their complete household on board, and airlines not enforcing their own regulations.

What gets me pissed is if I really only take the absolutely necessary things (clothing for one day, and those things that otherwise inevitably get stolen) just to put this little bag in front of my feet because the guys in ahead of me mistake the overhead bin for a U-Haul trailer.

To avoid this, JC's strategy of boarding early certainly helps. I often try the same. It's just not always easy. Trying to get by an angry crowd waving a gold card might get you killed. And standing near the gate for an hour plus the delay is also not always fun.

As far as service goes, at my experience U. S. Carriers are the worst. The Europeans, as long as you avoid Alitalia and Iberia, somewhere in the middle. About the Asians, I have just to beleive what others say, but I consistently hear the same (good) things.

Just 2 cents from.

El Alemán

Quote Originally Posted by Artisttyp
    I Disagree with what JC said about the overhead luggage space. If you buy a ticket you should have enough space to stow away your coat and a reasonably sized bag.
    You might disagree with me, but you'll be the one gate checking your luggage. Trust me, I've had Ma and Pa Kettle get onto a plane, and find that the one bin for 6 people is full, and get upset. He who hesitates is lost! I bring on one normal rollaboard, and one laptop case, and that's it.

There are a lot of things that should happen on an airplane, but don't. Good food, comfortable seats, nice flight attendants, etc. Even flying in the front of the plane, you often get mediocre service.

Most of the really outstanding service I've gotten has been from Asian or Australian airlines. Korean and Qantas FC / Biz class had the best service I've ever gotten in the air. I'll hit Singapore in a couple of months, so perhaps they'll go to the top of the list after that.

I've had better service on Air Asia (low cost Asian airline) that I do on most First Class flights in the US. The only difference being that I'm paying for food on the latter.

All I got from the episodes I saw were people stressing out on both ends. After all being able to sit and watch caos from the comfort of your home is entertaining to alot of people.

I did see one episode with a drunk passenger who was left behind to sober up.

The one airline that has really impressed me is LAN. They hooked me when they let me change the dates on a discount ticket for $50. They also pissed me off on my last trip to BA due to missed connections but that was my fault for booking that kind of flight.

I Disagree with what JC said about the overhead luggage space. If you buy a ticket you should have enough space to stow away your coat and a reasonably sized bag. I've seen people have to minimize their coach seat even more by putting bags at their feet. They just happened to be in the last group called.

I've heard worse about some european airlines but what do you expect when everyone can afford to buy a plane ticket. I think that is exactly what the tv shows were trying to get across.

There used to be a reality show on TV about travel disasters and Southwest was always featured.
    I've watched most of this series. It just reinforced my opinion of Southwest Greyhound of the sky. I'd say that 90% of the problems came from stupid passengers. Those who think it's okay to bring 80 pounds of rotting fish to check into your luggage, or who drank 10 beers in the bar before getting onto the plane.

Common sense often lacking with travelers

Yes, there are a few different "Airline" shows. I think the originals were out of the UK, and showed EasyJet, Air Canada and one other airline.

The fact remains that some people just don't understand how flying works. The whole business of going through security, jamming yourself into a thin tube like a sardine and the costs involved make it pretty fucking stressful.

People also think that just because they brought 4 bags on for free 10 years ago, that it's the same now. Learn the rules of the airline, have a good attitude, and it will get your far.

I flew back from Auckland last month, and as usual, I just had my carry-on and laptop bags with me. Since I was flying Qantas Biz to Sydney, they had a special security desk that stamped your ticket. I didn't know which line to get in going through customs, so went in the obvious one. The bag nazi wanted to weigh my bag (7 kilo max, I think) and give me a hard time. She looked on my pass, and saw that I was precleared, and say, "Oh, just go in the other line". No baggage nazi in the premium line.

One common sense thing, is if you have a large carry-on, or have to have your items with you, get on the plane early! Just because there is a luggage bin above you, doesn't mean it belongs to you! First come, first served!

And you wouldn't believe the retards who check money, cameras, laptops, medicines and other stuff in their checked luggage. If it's valuable, then the airline probably won't pay for it if it's stolen or lost!

One reason why these days I only have a carry-on is because of the chance of losing luggage, and the sometimes long delays in picking up your bags once you arrive. I do bring a large reinforced nylon zippered bag that folds up to a small size. I carry it with me so if I make some nice purchases, or have to take my laundry, I've got something convenient to do it in. It's sturdy enough to even check in. I've done it about 6 times, and no cuts or tears in it.

You can find them for $4-$6.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    There used to be a reality show on TV about travel disasters and Southwest was always featured.
    Hi Artisttyp,

I've watched several editions of that program recently, and I believe you're out of sync with the program's intended perspective.

First, the reason that SW is on the program is because they were the only airline that would grant the producer's the "behind-the-scene" access needed to produce the program.

Second, SW knew that said access would show all the sides of their customer service practices, and they were confident that this would reflect upon them well.

Third, they were in fact correct as the vast majority of the eposides (which you charactize as "airline diasters") are in fact the SW employees bending over backwards to accommidate unjustifiabiliy difficult customers. For example, the traveling photographer who arrived for a full flight at the last minute. There was no space in the overhead compartments, but he repeatedly refused their offer to check his equipment. The crew checked and re-checked every possible space in the cabin looking for space for his equipment, to no avail. Finally, they gave him a choice: check his equipment or take the next flight. SW even sent a baggage supervisor to the gate to personally get the guy's equipment and stow it in the baggage compartment.

Another inicident was a prospective SW employee who they had flown to HQ for her 2nd interview. She got irrate when they told her at the gate they she was going to be bumped on her return flight home because the flight was full. This prospective SW employee made a scene at the gate with loud proclimations that she had to get home THAT night. Eventually, a senior supervisor took her aside and told her that she was flying in non-revenue status, that the company's paying customers came 1st, and that she should probably forget about working as a CSR at SW.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Thanks,

Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    I haven't heard anything about that. I found nothing on flyertalk about that either. The only major big change on US Airways Divdend Miles is no more 500 minimum miles per segment credit.

Award ticket was never based on segments flown, only thing counts is miles in the Divendend Miles accounts.
    I just went over the email again. Yes that is what I meant. I was confusing it with elite points etc. like Continental has. To be honest it gets a little confusing.

Us airways used to be my airline of choice to fly to mexico and jamaica. I was treated very well and upgraded to first class without even asking. The planes were always clean and new. Why they would team up with Southwest is beyond me.

Actually things are changing. US airways just sent me an email explaining their new policy regarding segments vs miles. You need to fly the actual miles instead of racking up enough segments for a free ticket.
    I haven't heard anything about that. I found nothing on flyertalk about that either. The only major big change on US Airways Divdend Miles is no more 500 minimum miles per segment credit.

Award ticket was never based on segments flown, only thing counts is miles in the Divendend Miles accounts.

Yeah, it certainly looks like the merger will happen. They'll probably try to get it approved while all the Bush people are in power, as the Democrats will probably try to slow things down.

If the NW / DL deal goes through, expect 1-2 more mergers in the next couple of months. Possibly CO / UA and AA / AS. Hopefully no one is dumb enough to merge with US. They're way too screwed up as it is.

The bad thing is what will happen to the frequent flyer plans when they merge. Delta had already started to charge fuel surcharge to some Ex-European destinations, as high as $250, so hopefully that doesn't spread.

Hi Jaimito,

It looks like Delta and NW will merge, and possibly CO and UA.

A very hot topic in the Local NYC area today, as Continental's hub is Newark.

Thanks for the continued informative posts!

Best Regards,

Smuler

Posting Limitations