Thread: Restaurant Cover Charges (el cubierto)

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    The cubierto thing yanks my chain as well. I've had some success avoiding it by eating at the bar instead of a table in some places such as El Establo, La Alliance and Matias Downtown. Others such as Temple Irish bar and Filo still charge the cubierto at the bar. Never one at Kansas, El Alamo, and Bullers to name a few. If one is included it's always noted on the menu somewhere and at times I find my discovery of it too late.

My thought here is that it's a way for ownership to avoid paying the value added tax on maybe 10-15 percent of the average per person check as the practice is essentially that of giving the patron two checks, one taxable the other not.

About 3 years ago there was no cubierto, period. I was charged 4 pesos for "table cloth service" at another place in Palermo. Correct me if I'm wrong but the waiters do not get this money. It goes directly to the owner. I am used to paying a cover for those places that bring bread and some olive oil and one can either accept it or wave it off. But charging for the pleasure of spending money in their establishment? FUCK THEM. I really don't care about the 1 or 3 US dollars its the attitude.

Guys declare war on this bullshit. When you enter a restruant speak to the guy at the register and declare that your party will not pay for the pleasure of spending money. Let everybody in the place hear us. If they refuse WALK out. Viva la revolution!

Quote Originally Posted by BundaLover
    Half the store fronts in Palermo now appeared to be real estate offices. 2 years ago they were trendy retail. Correction---- one year ago. Now one can get tee shirts, surfing gear, camping gear, womans clothes, cotton clothes like the crap they sell on Florida St. Tennis shoes in all the boring redundant stores that have purchased old houses around the prision playground--- ooops I guess it used to be serrano plaza but now it looks like a low security play area. So everybody is a real estate expert with pricing that is starting to look like California on a sq. Ft. Basis. The advertisements are in English in some cases.

I had 2 steaks in Buenos Aires last week and both of them were overcooked. 2 for 2. I can't believe it. Is it due to the fact that the town was dead and maybe even the cooks were on vacation?

Subway still a good deal.

La Cabberra.

I refuse to eat at my favorite restraunt due to their cover charge of 9 fucking pesos. Not for bread or anything but just to sit there. I had detailed conversation with owner and told him he can have his 9 pesos for me to sit outside in on the street with no music, no air con, no appitizers, while I subsidize his clients inside OR I eat elsewhere and take my local friends to other restraunts. He told me he can't stay in business if he doesnt charge. I told him to raise his prices then. The place had not ONE argentine in it. All white faced English and tourists. ------ Still the best fucking parrilla in BsAs. What am I to do?

Hotel actually raised price after christmas by 10% in Feb. Of 08 for no reason. Leather goods store actually raised price in Feb. Compared to Xmas of 2007. They don't do sale price, everything is list.

I'm seeing wine for 300 and 400 US dollars on M. T. De Alvear x Santa Fe.

Can someone explain who the hell is buying this?
    Probally wealthy Argentines and wealthy foreigners on a holiday.

I think you easily spend 4000 dollar for a one month holiday in Argentina (Perito Moreno, BA, beach) soon enough it will become to expensive and you will see a decline in foreign arrivals.

P. S. In the tourist areas you always pay a cubierto, probally anywhere between 4 and 10 peso. You need to go to non-tourist spots to pay less cubierto

Administrator

Venues: 398

Restaurant Cover Charges (el cubierto)

Thread Starter.

Posting Limitations