Thread: Protesters

+ Submit Report
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
This blog is moderated by Exon123
    If this keeps up, the will be little meat left even in the restaurant. I was in the supermarket today, only thing they had was sausage and chicken. So I brought a lot of chicken, and froze it. Also brought rice and stuff that can keep a while.

The Argentine Way

Find a sector of the economy that's working just fine (in this case Agriculture) then find a way to kill it. I think most of the people are supporting the strike as more of a general "we're sick of this" than really understanding the implications for the economy as a whole. If the economy were deregulated, prices would skyrocket. In the short run it would hurt a lot of people, but in the long run it would benefit the whole economy. But still, I think it may get ugly and there may be minor bloodshed before it's done. In the meantime, does Ramiro still have meat?

Protest

Apparently the protest is in favor of farmers who oppose government (usually blaming the Kirchners) interference in the food commodities markets. There is a delivery slowdown or stoppage going on, and the capital has been low on beef as a result.

The farmers object to government control of pricing and / or limits on and taxation of exports. The government threatens to stop meat exports to keep prices down for domestic consumption. That is prior Kirchner move and part of the effort to keep the 'basic food basket' inflation rate down. They know it is bad economics but defend it at times as necessary; Argentines cannot and will not suffer austerity indefinitely.

The government reported inflation of 1.4% for the first two months of 2008 (under 10% per year) and everyone I have talked to thinks it is much higher.

The latest round of protests started with a large export tax imposed on soy and sunflower oil. Prices are way up and the government wants part of the "windfall."

At least one Argentine I talked to told me that a lot of the protest is generated by wealthy agri-business types who have brand new $ 50,000 cars, adding that a lot of the difference between the limited amounts that they receive for beef and what it sells for in the supermarket ends up in government hands. He added that there is a general anti-inflation sentiment in the protest, even though it is a ultimately a protest against inflation control policy. Kind of a "its all messed up" theory.

Anyone have stronger information? This is chit-chat from the street and web-blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    I'm frankly amazed that none of you CockSuckers have mention anything about last nights demonstrations or the reasons why.

The whole city was out banging pots & pans together, one very impressive show of force. These people are not happy down here and theres going to be bloodshed.

Exon
    I was fucking in an hotel last night and I was scared thinking that her boyfriend discovered us and hired a lot of mob to punish our love. Switching to the news while making love it's definetly a turn-off. So she turned it off, I never found the reason why people were protesting but I had a juicy blow job, because I kept concerned about the protest and she was trying to answer the reasons while sucking. So if protest equals juicy blow job, Viva la revolucion!

Retired Member

Protesters

I'm frankly amazed that none of you guys have mention anything about last nights demonstrations or the reasons why.

The whole city was out banging pots & pans together, one very impressive show of force. These people are not happy down here and theres going to be bloodshed.

Exon

Posting Limitations