Thread: ByT Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
This blog is moderated by Moore

Check in procedures.

I hook up to the internet before paying unless I've delt with the owner before.

How many towels are in the apartment?

Any problem with the internet, I don't pay without the owner bringing in a techie. Only two towels, no go.

I am always prepared to spend a night in a cheap hotel if necesary. This creates motivation: an empty apartment and a complaint to the tourism police--a very interesting and little know Argentine government service to prevent from theft from tourists.

Some of the cheaper internet services require that my computer's ip address is registered with the service provider---=easy for a spanish speaking techie and near impossible for me. 40 or 50 pesos to a techie will do the trick. The owner's cash on the table and a call to the techie makes me more comfortable. Some of the DSL and USB hook-up's require that software is loaded onto your computer--again easy if you know what you are doing, impossible for an over tired traveler without locale knowledge and a copy of the software.

When an apartment has a rental price too low, there is usually a reason. Always be thinking while looking at photos on the internet, the photos always show the apartment at it's best--do I want to stay here. Would I rather pay us$325 per week for a nicer place rather than us$250 for something that looks questionable. If you reserve early, there is little reason to pay over us$75 per night, unless you want luxury and / or the security of a top firm or dealing with Jackson who would not take advantage of you and offers only top luxury apartments. Sometimes you get what you pay for!

I am still comfortable with Reynolds and BYT, but you must be prepared to telephone repetedly and constantly to obtain good service.

not happy

I used MCSE apts once and BYT the second time. I won't go back to BYT. I got a place that was no comparison to what MCSE offered. The internet didn't work, the tv in the bedroom didn't work, the couch was old. There was no way I was going to have a girl over. I called byt to resolve and they only said it was buyer beware and that they had no control. Not good customer service at all. Like using my old aunts apartment and the old lady across the hall came to give me the key.

I used them for two separate 1 week rentals during my recent Argentina trip.

The first, was for a large studio on Corrientes & Callao, for $300/ wk plus their $35 booking fee, which served me well as a base from which to learn my way around BA and it's transport system.

The second, a very nice 1 BR in Recoleta on Vincente Lopez for $325 + $35 booking fee, was a great value, once I already knew my way around the city and could use the collectivos (buses) to get around to my favorite privados. This second place was really excellent, and I could see about 1/3 of the cemetary from my balcony.

My only issue with this agency is that you need to keep on them to make sure that they do your check-out and check in appointments at the correct times. But the apartments were honestly represented and quite good deals

Bytargentina has provided very good service to me over the past few years

Their customer service is not like an USA company. I telephone repeatedly and end up getting good service. When I had a dishonest owner, BYT did the fighting for me. Reynolds is also a quality operation. These two companies act like they are in business for the long run.

Renting from Jackson or Barts or Argentine Rentals is really dealing with an American company. A higher level of service, but sometimes at a slightly higher price. You will not have non-working internet, except for an act of god. The apartment owners are really in control. You can only go with quality to avoid a dishonest owner. This is random luck with some of the agencies.

ByT Argentina

I used this company based on a recommedation by Judd. They have a quite extensive listing of apartments in various neighborhoods and of various sizes/prices on their website with extensive details and photos for each one. Mine was a 70m2 one bedroom in Recoleta for USD 320/week. It was fully furnished, very clean, and exactly as it appeared in the photos. The reservation, check-in, and check-out processes were very smooth and the central office quite attentive.

You can check availability online - it seems most good apartments are fully booked about 6-8 weeks going forward.

The only gripes I have are that the landline did not allow calls to cellphones and having to pay the rent and deposit in cash USD (exact change) - but it is Argentina.

I highly recommend this agency.

http://www.bytargentina.com/

Posting Limitations