Thread: Dissecting the Spanish Language

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Panita

Is the word "panita" commonly used in Argentina? I kept hearing it in other parts of South America (Te adoro mi panita), but I don't recall hearing it in Argentina. If not used in Argentina, is there something similar?

US $190 for ten hours of instruction

Payment is via Pay Pal. VOS will work with you to tailor the course to your particular interests. I'm finding it very useful to hear how the language sounds when spoken by an Argentinian; it really is different than other castellano I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    No price info on the vosbuenosaires web site. Would you mind saying what you are paying and for how many hours of instruction?

Thanks, Bob.
    You need to have video call capability and a Google or gmail account; they use the video chat/interactive features of Google Hangouts.

Oh, and Marilina, the video instructor, is cute.

C.

Odd App

I think that this odd little App was put together by an AP Member that I met a few years ago.

TL.

Precio?

Quote Originally Posted by Creideiki  [View Original Post]
    ....my instructor, Maralina, is actually in Bahia Blanca, but is a Portea. I want to learn castellano as spoken in the area.

I found this site that goes into lumfardo, including some terms useful for our hobby:

http://www.portenospanish.com/

There seem to be a lot of terms for cigarettes, assholes (the people kind, not the anatomic part), and police!
    No price info on the vosbuenosaires web site. Would you mind saying what you are paying and for how many hours of instruction?

Thanks, Bob.

Starting online lessons with VOS Intercultural Club today....

....my instructor, Maralina, is actually in Bahia Blanca, but is a Porteņa. I want to learn castellano as spoken in the area.

I found this site that goes into lumfardo, including some terms useful for our hobby:

http://www.portenospanish.com/

There seem to be a lot of terms for cigarettes, assholes (the people kind, not the anatomic part), and police!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Creideiki For This Post:

Definitely Not Advisable In BA

Castellano vocabulary practice and possible cultural insight. I love multitasking!

http://matadornetwork.com/es/15-dife...uno-argentino/

I'm guessing that greeting new porteno friends with, "Hijo de puta! Como andas?" is not advisable!

Porteno readers, I'd be interested in your opinions on this piece.

See.
    That might be OK in Costa Rica where "hijo de puta" is acceptable slang, but not in many other parts of the Spanish speaking world, and definitely not BA. I learned Spanish in high school and at the university, so you can imagine my surprise when I first moved to Costa Rica, and the Ticos used "hijo de puta" almost the same as English speakers use hello. I was taught that "hijo de puta" meant son of a ***** in English.

Tres3.

15 diferancias entre un amigo normal y uno argentino

Castellano vocabulary practice and possible cultural insight. I love multitasking!

http://matadornetwork.com/es/15-dife...uno-argentino/

I'm guessing that greeting new porteno friends with, "Hijo de puta! Como andas?" is not advisable!

Porteno readers, I'd be interested in your opinions on this piece.

Creideiki

As long as we're learning Spanish, we might as well have some fun!

This parody of the Latin hit "Bailando," titled "Cagando," helpfully has the Spanish lyrics as subtitles, so you can get context to go with the vocabulary. After a few views maybe I can get the bathroom parts of the language down pat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHHHDLXTD5c

To learn el castellano it is important to remember that the capitalization rules are different. Start learning by not capitalizing 'porteo'. Nationalities, languages, the days of the week, and the months of the year are not capitalized in either el espaol or in el castellano. Also, only the first word in book and article titles is capitalized (To kill a mockingbird and not To Kill a Mockingbird), for example.

So, if you translate: "If I learn Spanish in Argentina from Portenos by taking Spanish every Thursday in June, using the book 'Viva la Lengua' written by Professor John Doe," you get:

'Si aprendo el castellano en la Argentina de los porteos tomando cursos en el espaol todos los jueves en junio, usando el libro "Viva la lengua" escrito por el professor Fulano'.

"Fulano" is like "John Doe" in English, an unknown person, and if you want to say "Every Tom, Dick, and Harry" it is: 'Fulano, Sutano y Mengano. ' Note that in English, the final comma between Dick and Harry is optional, but in el espaol es prohibida usarla (you can't use a comma between the final two tems in a series).

Also, one million pesos is not written $1,000,000.00 but rather is written as $1.000.000,00. Note that the $ symbol can refer to either dollars or pesos, which is confusing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dickhead For This Post:

Gracias, Maria!

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora  [View Original Post]
    LOL! I just read this. Sweety, you will doubtly get a nicely educated girl if you tell her "quiero metertela" or "chupame". You might get some once area or constitucion chicks, I believe they charge 50 pesos for a blow job. Anyway, sometimes you don t need words but romantic body language to get your point across, but if you want to talk, you could say something like this "que hermosa boca que tienes, me encantaria sentir tus labios en un lugar prohibido". That means "you have a beautiful mouth, I would love to feel your lips in a sensual part of my body". You don t translate exactly how it is, because in english prohibido means prohibited, I doubt you tell girls to kiss your prohibited parts like that literaly.
    Claro, yo necesito mucho a aprender para la castellano Porteno. I am glad I'm looking at learning the particulars of the Porteno dialect now, instead of trying to figure it out in Buenos Aires. Better to make the dumbest mistakes here, rather than there, if I possibly can! I do have one slight advantage over many other Americans. I have danced Argentine tango for the past 2 1/2 years, and that has put me in contact with a number of expat Portenos who would probably be good resources for learning. I would much rather be poetic and clear rather than crass and clear!

So, you want to tell them you want to "put it in", say something like, "tengo tantas ganas de sentirte y de estar adentro tuyo, podre?" that means "I really want to feel your body, I would love to be inside of you, would that be ok? Again, you don t translate literaly. When changing languages, there are words that you take out and words that you add.

Hope this helped.

Maria.
    It did. Thank you, and it looks like you helped some other guys here!

See.

Bs As Spanish is como se dice. Diferente

Creideik,

As our colleagues have pointed out, the Portena dialect is related to, but quite different from the Spanish spoken in other countries.

I took some one-on-one courses in the States from an upper class Colombian woman. I got some very strange looks when I tried to use my new language skills in Bs As.

My Spanish is terrible (haven't used it in a few years), but I am planning on getting back to it. However, you do not need Spanish to enjoy yourself in Bs As. As for intimate communications, who needs words?

If you are looking to get laid, the most important language skills you will need are to be able to order take out and / or to get buzzed into a building.

The Argentine perspective is that they are more European than South American. It is highly unlikely that you will hook up with an nonprofessional Argentine woman, during a quick trip to Bs As. Argentina reminds me of when I lived in Italy. If you want to date a local, you have to be willing to put in the work to get to know some and see where it takes you. No guarantees. Culturally, Argentina is very old world.

Time to resurrect this thread! I'm visiting BA in October of this year, and am in the process of learning Spanish. In the course of my Internet searches to find resources to learn the language, I ran across this site:

http://www.hookupspanish.com/

The first post has a breakdown on the difference in the verbs poner and meter. They make the point that poner is "to put on" and meter is "to put IN". They then offer the phrase "Quiero metertela en la boca" as the lead-in for a BBBJ. Seems technically correct, but is it better to go with "chupame" and the chica gets the idea? OTOH, "Quiero metertala" gets the point across well. But that's just my very green interpretation. Any thoughts?

Creideiki.
    LOL! I just read this. Sweety, you will doubtly get a nicely educated girl if you tell her "quiero metertela" or "chupame". You might get some once area or constitucion chicks, I believe they charge 50 pesos for a blow job. Anyway, sometimes you don t need words but romantic body language to get your point across, but if you want to talk, you could say something like this "que hermosa boca que tienes, me encantaria sentir tus labios en un lugar prohibido". That means "you have a beautiful mouth, I would love to feel your lips in a sensual part of my body". You don t translate exactly how it is, because in english prohibido means prohibited, I doubt you tell girls to kiss your prohibited parts like that literaly.

So, you want to tell them you want to "put it in", say something like, "tengo tantas ganas de sentirte y de estar adentro tuyo, podre?" that means "I really want to feel your body, I would love to be inside of you, would that be ok? Again, you don t translate literaly. When changing languages, there are words that you take out and words that you add.

Hope this helped.

Maria.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aurora For This Post:

Happy to be of Service

Maybe because I want to see the town of Rosario and the area, regardless of who I may or may not meet there. I'm thinking of going to Foz de Igauzu by road, and Rosario is on the way. The drive to Rosario looks more like 4 hours, not 9, based on my research.

And really, what's a better marketing strategy than insulting a potential customer? I'm good enough for anybody. You should have seen who I was dating last year. Costanza sounds good, and I think I saw her mentioned earlier in this thread, so even with that I'm interested.

You mean once I get to BsAs, or via Skype beforehand?

Don't I know it. I'm working on it at least one hour a day, every day. I can now hack out the language, after a fashion, but it's very basic. I want to get better.
    I did not even think about "Lessons by Skype" but that would help a lot.

A 4. 5 hour drive to Rosario = 9 hours roundtrip.

Ironically Costanza is from Rosario.

Best looking girls in the country.

And yes, she is probably too good for just about anyone.

Even me.

Good Luck with your Spanish but make sure it's not that shit they Try to speak in Mexico or any of the other Spanish Speaking countries or nobody will understand you.

TL.

Costanza?

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    A 9 hour drive Just to try to talk to a 50 year old woman that probably Lacks the correct or proper accent from that of someone from BA?

What for?
    Maybe because I want to see the town of Rosario and the area, regardless of who I may or may not meet there. I'm thinking of going to Foz de Igauzu by road, and Rosario is on the way. The drive to Rosario looks more like 4 hours, not 9, based on my research.

And if you want a SUPER Girl that can help you practice your Spanish and make all the men envious of you then you can meet Costanza!

My All-Time-Favorita!

Museums.

Lunches.

Dinners.

Theater.

Et cetera.

Highly educated, fucking flawless and probably entirely too good for you.
    And really, what's a better marketing strategy than insulting a potential customer? I'm good enough for anybody. You should have seen who I was dating last year. Costanza sounds good, and I think I saw her mentioned earlier in this thread, so even with that I'm interested.

200 pesos an hour and a half of Conversational Spanish should do it. 3 times a week?
    You mean once I get to BsAs, or via Skype beforehand?

You have 8 months to learn a LOT of Spanish.
    Don't I know it. I'm working on it at least one hour a day, every day. I can now hack out the language, after a fashion, but it's very basic. I want to get better.

Rosario is way closer than nine hours. You might be thinking about Cordoba or something. I took the bus to Rosario twice and mongered and I think it is like a three hour bus ride.

Posting Limitations