Thread: Dissecting the Spanish Language

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

A 9 Hour Drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Creideiki  [View Original Post]
    Ada, from Rosario, messaged me today. Age 50. Have no idea what she looks like, but for conversation practice only I'm not that worried about it. If she does look good, I see Rosario isn't all that far from Buenos Aires. We'll see how this goes.

Creideiki.
    A 9 hour drive Just to try to talk to a 50 year old woman that probably Lacks the correct or proper accent from that of someone from BA?

What for?

Erica is a Professional Spanish / English Teacher here in BA in San Telmo.

I have known her for almost 10 years.

Laura is also a true professional teacher. Spanish. And an excellent dinner date. 10 years of friendship included.

And if you want a SUPER Girl that can help you practice your Spanish and make all the men envious of you then you can meet Costanza!

My All-Time-Favorita!

Museums.

Lunches.

Dinners.

Theater.

Et cetera.

Highly educated, fucking flawless and probably entirely too good for you.

200 pesos an hour and a half of Conversational Spanish should do it. 3 times a week?

If not get on Craig'slist and allow some hooker to bullshit you into thinking that she has NEVER done this sort of thing before in her life and that she is a REAL student!

You have 8 months to learn a LOT of Spanish.

Take a night class! Hire a maid!

Have Fun and Good Luck!

TL.

First bite on Conversation Exchange

Ada, from Rosario, messaged me today. Age 50. Have no idea what she looks like, but for conversation practice only I'm not that worried about it. If she does look good, I see Rosario isn't all that far from Buenos Aires. We'll see how this goes.

Creideiki.

You just can't have everything your way!

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    There's no way to find girls who list sex as a hobby! And no way to find girls who are interested in overnight lessons!
    Well, one could surmise that sex is a pastime for all of them, surely, without anything being said. I am going to give the obviously married women a miss. Who knows? I'm still 7 months out from departing for BUA, so if my partner and I become friends, I might not need chicas when I get there. .

And aside from those major flaws I am afraid that it's just not going to work very well. However, I am interested. So yes, please, let us know.

Bob.
    I intend to try it either tomorrow night or Tuesday night.

Creideiki.

This looks interesting:

http://www.conversationexchange.com/

Do a search under "Argentina" and "Buenos Aires" and it comes up with literally hundreds of Portenos who want to practice English in exchange for someone learning Castellano to practice that language. That seems very useful for learning some of the idiosyncracies of the language. I'll try it out, and let you know how it goes.

Creideiki.
    There's no way to find girls who list sex as a hobby! And no way to find girls who are interested in overnight lessons!

And aside from those major flaws I am afraid that it's just not going to work very well. However, I am interested. So yes, please, let us know.

Bob.

Conversation Exchange

This looks interesting:

http://www.conversationexchange.com/

Do a search under "Argentina" and "Buenos Aires" and it comes up with literally hundreds of Portenos who want to practice English in exchange for someone learning Castellano to practice that language. That seems very useful for learning some of the idiosyncracies of the language. I'll try it out, and let you know how it goes.

Creideiki.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Creideiki For This Post:

About 6-7 years ago, I took private Spanish lessons at IBL http://www.ibl.com.ar/ingles/.

I had previously taken lessons in high school and college, but I forgot most of it. When I found the joy of mongering with Latinas, I decided to kickstart my Spanish. I took Spanish lessons at home and immersion lessons in Spain, Mexico, Peru, and Ecuador. I also traveled to Costa Rica, Colombia and Chile to practice my Spanish.

My private lessons at IBL Buenos Aires was interesting. My teacher looked like actress Minnie Driver and she even spoke with an English accent.

In the school, I had no problem with speaking and understanding Spanish; but "street Spanish" as spoken by portenos was a struggle for me. Although I had fun in Buenos Aires, practicing my Spanish with the locals was a bust for me. I'd go back there in a heartbeat, but not to learn Spanish.

Ooooh yes!

My strongest suggestion is to make sure you are learning ARGENTINE Spanish. Out of the Spanish speaking countries I have travelled to (mexico, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, and Argentina), everybody's Spanish is their own. Mexican Spanish is the only one I ever studied, and although I am far from proficient, mexico is the ONLY place my Spanish is even somewhat understood. Everywhere else I might as well have been talking in gibberish for all anybody understood of me. Another point of note is that classes are WAAAAY too formal and rarely teach the kind of Spanish that everybody actually uses. What helps is to try and THINK in Spanish instead of thinking in English and translating. My personal experience is that argies are very unforgiving in this aspect. Whether you use English or try to speak Spanish, they will regard your failure to communicate perfect fluent argentine Spanish, with utter contempt and disdain. But do not let that dissuade you. It may take a few times and a lot of effort, but BA has a lot to offer once you put your scratch in.

Understand that BA has the richest culture, history, and IMHO, the most to really offer, so the effort will be well worth it! The better your argentine spanish, the better your time will be when you are there. The language barrier is steep, and their brand of spanish is very particular. I met a dude at a bar who entertained me with all the regional dialects in BA alone HAHA LOL!

First time in a conversation group in my home city.

In a 2-hour group session moderated by Merce', a woman from Spain. I had done a lot of book learning of Spanish, but it did not prepare me for conversational skills at all. I really felt like I was out of my depth. She and the group were very encouraging, but I did not like feeling like I knew almost nothing!

The good news is that I experienced this 8 months before I'm scheduled to leave for Buenos Aires. For anyone else wanting to go and hasn't yet, I would say it's never too early to start on the conversational skills. I'm fortunate that Merce' is trained in Castellano, and I did hear her using "vos / vosotros" forms in her Spanish (I did know that much, anyway). So I'll be better prepared for Rioplatense Castellano than most!

Creideiki.

Online Spanish Resource

Time to resurrect this thread! I'm visiting BA in October of this year, and am in the process of learning Spanish. In the course of my Internet searches to find resources to learn the language, I ran across this site:

http://www.hookupspanish.com/

The first post has a breakdown on the difference in the verbs poner and meter. They make the point that poner is "to put on" and meter is "to put IN". They then offer the phrase "Quiero metertela en la boca" as the lead-in for a BBBJ. Seems technically correct, but is it better to go with "chupame" and the chica gets the idea? OTOH, "Quiero metertala" gets the point across well. But that's just my very green interpretation. Any thoughts?

Creideiki.
    I like wordreference.com.

There's a related forum: http://forum.wordreference.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23.

(although they do not focus on sex-talk).

Bob.

Pimsleur is said to be better

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    At least you have a long time to learn a little Spanish before you arrive.

I've heard that the Rosetta Stone Program works great .
    It's good, but I've read that Pimsleur is better, but much more expensive. I've been using a workbook here for home study, and have found some other resources on the web to help with grammar and verb conjugations. There's also a Meetup group in my city that meets with a tutor once a week, Merce' from Spain, so I'll get a lot of familiarity with Castellano before I go. I may see if she can tutor me privately as well.

I will say that learning the nuances of querer vs gustar in the context of a BBBJ, as seen on this forum, is a lot more fun than my workbook provides. .

Creideiki.

That's an easy one

Time to resurrect this thread! I'm visiting BA in October of this year, and am in the process of learning Spanish. In the course of my Internet searches to find resources to learn the language, I ran across this site:

The first post has a breakdown on the difference in the verbs poner and meter. They make the point that poner is "to put on" and meter is "to put IN". They then offer the phrase "Quiero metertela en la boca" as the lead-in for a BBBJ. Seems technically correct, but is it better to go with "chupame" and the chica gets the idea? OTOH, "Quiero metertala" gets the point across well. But that's just my very green interpretation. Any thoughts?

Creideiki.
    Vos haces, bucal sin?

As much as it pains me to say it, TL is correct, manners count. Generally speaking though, the hotter the chick, the more effective bad manners can be. As has been proven again, and again, AND again, if you approach the majority of NP sharks with good manners, they will cut your dick off and throw it on the parilla.

If on the other hand they are smiling when nobody is looking at them it's a different story. I half speak Spanish (the guys think I speak well but it's actually pretty bad) and I get TONS of mileage from saying "I'm sorry, in English I can speak politely but in Spanish I'm often coarse, please forgive me. ".

"Desculpame, en Inglas puedo hablar amable, pero en castillano a vezes soy mas que un poco grosero. " They way I'm telling you to say that isn't really correct, it shouldn't be because you're saying that you're trying to speak Spanish but you don't do it very well or eloquently. The vast majority of the people here give you big points for effort.

Funny

Creideiki.
    You Will get your point across but:

"Quiero meterla en la Boca" does NOT specify Her mouth and can end up sounding like you want to put it in Your mouth.

"Quiero meterla en TU boca" leaves no doubts as to who's mouth you want to put it in.

"Chupame. " or "Suck Me. " Not even Please?

A Nice girl may not like that. Manners go a long way.

Have Fun,

TL.

At least you have a long time to learn a little Spanish before you arrive.

I've heard that the Rosetta Stone Program works great .

"Poner" vs "Meter"

Creideiki.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny12  [View Original Post]
    Where's Dickhead when you need him? I haven't spent enough time in Argentina to know the vernacular, or even the "vos" thing, but "Eres una chica muy mala, muy sexy. Me gusta. " should get the idea across. You've got to say something to let her know that you don't think she's performing badly, angry, etc. I'm not sure whether "estar" would work here. I've heard malo used with "ser" to mean naughty, but never with estar.

For your second point, similarly follow up with something to let her know what you mean. Maybe "Espero que mejore," or I hope it gets better.
    Yeah, 'mala' is pretty much always negative or pejorative. 'Estabas muy beárbara en la cama esta noche' (you were really wild in bed tonight) would get BBM's point across quite nicely. Now if you use 'malo' or 'mala' with ser, you are saying the person or thing is inherently bad. If you use it with estar, you are saying the thing or person is acting, feeling, or behaving badly at that particular time or within that particular context. A good word to know is 'pícaro' (or 'picara' as the case may be), which means mischievous or naughty. That word is less Argie-specific than 'beárbaro (a). '.

Hope that helps!

A misunderstanding

A few years ago when my spanish was much worse then it is today. I had just spent a pleasant evening with a non pro, a few hours in a hotel followed by a nice dinner with a few drinks. This was the first girl I met in Argentina that did not ask for money or for a "loan" after the deed was done. I was looking forward to seeing her again and asked her when she was free. She told me she had Weds "franco". (Tengo franco Miercoles). I had no idea what or WHO was franco. She had said that she was not married, had no kids, etc. , etc. To me it sounded like she was with "Franco" on Weds. And I could not figure out why she was telling me that. To make a long story short, I never found out when she was free, and I never saw her again. I had no idea that "franco" was a day off and I did not learn that particular word until a few years later. When I did learn what it meant I kicked my self in the a** feeling like a a* You lose some and win some!

Posting Limitations