Thread: A question on transportation

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Member #3320

Funny that no one menctioned the bus ride is probably one of the cheaper in the world, only 33 cents of a dollar per ride. Subway it's even cheaper.

One street over

Works well downtown, not so much past Juan be Justo. The majority will still do back and forth, and on Cabildo it's the same street. Some routs like the 60, the out and back routes are miles apart, same with the 168. 152 down and back the whole route, 161 as well.

Best bet, for like the 10,000,000 time is www.comoviajo.com

Well, depends what you mean by loop. The 59 is a very long route. It goes all the way from Estacion Buenos Aires to Vicente Lopez. But it's an out and back route. I think they all are. All the ones I know of are. 59's route is sort of a big long L.

The advantage of the out and back system is that if you are on say Esmeralda when you get off, you know the return is one street over. You just don't know if it's Suipacha or Maipu. Then you ask in the kiosko or at the newspaper stand. Or in the case of the 59, goes up Suipacha and comes back on Pellegrini. And getting back from Recoleta on the 59 you have no problem because Las Heras is a two way street. There's some minor exceptions where you have two one-way streets in a row in the same direction but that doesn't happen too often. I think Montevideo and Rod Pena is like that and there is one other I can think of, Talcahuano and I think it's Uruguay. But basically wherever you get off, you know the return stop is only a couple of blocks away.

The reason we got off the 152 too early that night was because I was looking at the street numbers without realizing the ones on Marcelo/Charcas didn't correspond to the ones on Santa Fe even though they are essentially parallel. That does happen a lot, as I've found out to my detriment a few other times.

Also bear in mind that most times the sign at the bus stop will give the main streets the bus covers. Here's another good trick. Say you are at Retiro at 5 PM and all the buses are very crowded. Walk to the stop before Retiro and get on. Then everyone else will get off at Retiro and bingo, you have a seat. You can do that on the Subte too. Say you want to go to Constitucion at rush hour. Get on the subte at San Martin and take it to Retiro where everyone will get off (except the other people using this technique, of course) and you have a seat. I think Daddy Rulz taught me that trick. I never do it since I would just end up offering my seat to an older person anyway. Of course there aren't too many of those left any more.

Then for the train in Retiro, at rush hour instead of getting on the train that is sitting there, get in line for the next one and you'll have a seat. I never do that either. BTW the red train goes very close to Nuevo Estilo if you get off at Scalabrini Ortiz. Do not get off the red train at Saldias or you will never be seen again. The red train costs five centavos less than the blue train.

Anyway, buy the damn bus guide for five pesos. That'll tell you what streets the bus goes down (every single one) but it still won't tell you where the god damn stop is. But they're never more than three blocks apart or so.

The 59

Does it make a loop or reach a point and turn around?

Sounds like its the one for me.

5. 08-01-08 02:57

Reason
    Requested

Retired Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    There you go. That should pretty much have the Exedra to Newport route covered. Are you reading this Ex?
    Yea I am Dogg,

Now I know how to get home from down town when its raining and there no taxi's.

Thanks.

Exon

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    59 goes to Newport too and can be caught on Pellegrini.
    There you go. That should pretty much have the Exedra to Newport route covered. Are you reading this Ex?

59 goes to Newport too and can be caught on Pellegrini.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato Hunter
    And what about near Exedra to Newport. I could and have read the book but I would love some insights. I don't mind taking a scenic route to possibly have an encounter with some tail, or two. Or even a backup route.
    Catch the 10 on Esmeralda, which is a short walk from Exedra. It will take you to the intersection of Vicente Lopez and Junin. On Newport's doorstep.

Retired Member

I don't ride the bus very offten but when I do I like the 59 bus getting on at Las Harris. It drop's you off right in front of Gysell's apartment.

Exon

152 for Oro. We just got off too soon, is all. Get off one stop past the Plaza Italia.

SWs

The closet thing to having chicas outside your hotel or apartment would have to be in Retiro, close to Cordoba or Paraguay.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain
    Dear Friends,

Strange as it may sound, but I am a extremely big fan of street action. What would be the ideal neighborhood (Sorry! I am not familiar with street names, for street action?

I mean as soon as I am out of building and lo behold! "the street is full of pros swarming all over"! I love that thing v much.

Oh mighty bus gods

What bus should I take from near exedra to Oro? And Back? I have done this whith DH once and we got lost and walked for blocks drunk, but we found it! I blame Senor Quilmes for DH's navigational malfunction that late night.

And what about near exedra to newport. I could and have read the book but I would love some insights. I don't mind taking a scenic route to possibly have an encounter with some tail, or two. Or even a backup route.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    I used to use the 10 a lot when I lived in Barrio Norte but I haven't been on it in a long time. I think it goes by Maipu 359 though. 106 has quite a few new units on the road too.
    Righto, the 10 runs down Maipu and back up Esmeralda. My only complaint about the 10 is that there doesn't seem to be enough of them.

I used to use the 10 a lot when I lived in Barrio Norte but I haven't been on it in a long time. I think it goes by Maipu 359 though. 106 has quite a few new units on the road too.

Nicest buses

No doubt the 10, runs down Corrientes, almost all of them are new.

Posting Limitations