This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to see how much it would cost to ship the stuff here as well. I plan on staying at least 1 year so I want to bring my pc / photography stuff.

Through EZE this AM. Just long lines, too many people not enough staff: EZE SNAFU. Not many electronics, just a truck load of stuff from Trader Joes, no problems. Thought for sure it would raise an eyebrow or two, passed without incident or questions.

Quote Originally Posted by SunSeeker  [View Original Post]
    I read online last night that searches at the airport have been stepped up recently due to expats bringing in electronics to sell. Can anyone that went through AEP recently let me know if this is the case and how long did it take to get through the process? I'm arriving next week and as I plan to stay awhile want to bring a lot of my personal things, mostly electronics. Printer, inks and paper, external hard drives, etc. All have data on them and are not new (most at least 3-4 years old).

Any shared experiences appreciated.
    I just got back from the states, arrived at EZE, and yes, customs was very tight. You should be OK with any clearly USED items, especially if one of each item and it looks like the item is for personal use. I also expect AEP to be less stringent than EZE, as there is less smuggling potential coming in from AEP. It is also common to ¨grease¨customs discreetly if there is a minor problem.

Fred

Airport searches on gringos

I read online last night that searches at the airport have been stepped up recently due to expats bringing in electronics to sell. Can anyone that went through AEP recently let me know if this is the case and how long did it take to get through the process? I'm arriving next week and as I plan to stay awhile want to bring a lot of my personal things, mostly electronics. Printer, inks and paper, external hard drives, etc. All have data on them and are not new (most at least 3-4 years old).

Any shared experiences appreciated.
    Last edited by SunSeeker; 05-29-12 at 11:26. Reason: add to post

The cutoms form

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero  [View Original Post]
    When I came through EZE last week, I was asked repeatedly if I had any NEW computers with me. Looks like they're really trying to keep these out of the market, or at least want some duty out of them. Even asked for make / model of cell phone too.
    Has a section on cellphones. I usually travel with three or four and have been waiting for them to inquire but they haven't yet.

When I came through EZE last week, I was asked repeatedly if I had any NEW computers with me. Looks like they're really trying to keep these out of the market, or at least want some duty out of them. Even asked for make / model of cell phone too.

Invoice price

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsman
    In my one experience, the value of the item was based on the invoice I provided to the custom official.
    I would suspect that a resourceful fellow can provide an invoice that suits his purposes. If the invoice is all english, what % of the customs agents are fluent?

What is the tariff if bring in a used item?

Just my take on things, but I'd think it wouldn't be too wise to include any small gadget with a battery in your checked bag. It's likely going to be x-rayed along the way, maybe get the attention of the attendant, and maybe the matter will be resolved by the gadget changing ownership;^)

I figure the idea of locks and plastic wrap isn't so much about protecting the stuff inside (sure, easy enough to cut the bag open etc) but about detecting obvious tampering: your bag comes off the belt, you see the lock has been cut or the wrap torn off, you can immediately cry foul to the airline etc.

I usually use small Master-brand luggage padlocks (non-TSA, I figure anyone with connections could get a copy of the key) but sometimes I use small cable ties and cover them with a patch of duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star
    How long did it take you to get through everything and finally get to the public area at EZE? I usually have to wait around 45min-1 hr when I have a pickup from the states.

www.silverstarcar.com
    Took about 90 minutes. The real problem was with the Divas and their ten tons of luggage. They could not lift shit. They were helpless.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star
    I see a lot of Argentines coming in with gigantic flat screen TV's too, wondering how much they have to pay, and how it can still be worth it.
    There is a $300 tax free exemption and 50% inport tax on the remainding value. For expample, the inport tax for a $1000 TV is:

($1000-$300)*50%=$350.

In my one experience, the value of the item was based on the invoice I provided to the custom official.

Quote Originally Posted by Damman
    Arrived yesterday, EZE, and the lines through customs was a cluster fuck. Two inspection terminals were OOS. Custom agents probably have court dates. Now see where there are few changes taking place, everyone has to go through customs: no green light, no cell phone use. Streamlined Argentine style.

http://momento24.com/en/2010/05/13/g...ts-on-customs/
    How long did it take you to get through everything and finally get to the public area at EZE? I usually have to wait around 45min-1 hr when I have a pickup from the states. I heard it was getting BAD. I see a lot of Argentines coming in with gigantic flat screen TV´s too, wondering how much they have to pay, and how it can still be worth it.

Fred

www.silverstarcar.com

Eze

Arrived yesterday, EZE, and the lines through customs was a cluster fuck. Two inspection terminals were OOS. Custom agents probably have court dates. Now see where there are few changes taking place, everyone has to go through customs: no green light, no cell phone use. Streamlined Argentine style.

http://momento24.com/en/2010/05/13/g...ts-on-customs/

Quote Originally Posted by Damman
    Thanks for the info. Now, if anyone has any creative ideas to get a flat-screen to AR, I am all ears. The last time I went through customs they did not even look at the monitor when my luggage went through the screener. Missed opportunity.
    I have a company I use that does audio video install and can get foreign stuff in at decent prices.

http://www.ociopro.com/ociopro.swf ask for Hernan.

As for laptops the trick is to say that you are either a tourist or its for business use.

While the information on PAL is very true it also is relative.

If when here you are going to hook up to direct tv then any tv from the states will connect and work fine.

If you go Multicanal, Cablevision then you will need PAL N but not for direct tv which for a foriegner is probably a better choice any way,

Only with NFL, CNN English and you can contract full NBA and baseball.

Seaman: thanks for the sound advice. Will play this one by the numbers. Was in Costco yesterday measuring flat-screens and then over to the luggage department. Back and forth. It was quite a sight. Got to the point where the floor guy was trying to help me with what would work. Customer service at is best.

Thanks

Posting Limitations