This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Damman
    Thanks for the info. Now, if anyone has any creative ideas to get a flat-screen to AR, I am all ears. The last time I went through customs they did not even look at the monitor when my luggage went through the screener. Missed opportunity.
    You can bring one down as long as it fits in your suitcase

BUT. If you want to be able to hook it up to the cable TV system here, make sure the tuner supports PAL-N / PAL-Nc. The problem is that only Argentina and Uruguay are using these standards, and that a lot of TV's available in the rest of the world are not supporting it. A lot of "multi-system" TV's support it, but only on the external input, the tuner does not.

Looking at the current prices it makes more sense to buy a TV locally then bringing it down. Why? Well, take a US$1000 TV. Shipping (oversize bag or whatever) US$100+ import duties (if they catch you) 50% of US$1000 (if you are lucky)* US$500 = US$1600. The TV has to support the local TV standard and not break down. If it breaks down, expect to pay a premium to get it repaired down here.

Depending on the size for US$1600 which is ~AR$5500 you can get a decent TV here, with local warranty, and with the guarantee it will work here.

---------

* If you are unlucky the customs agent will not accept your receipt of the TV and will use their standard list with their standard pricing. Most likely the list has the MSRP of the TV. If the MSRP is US$1500 you will pay 50% of that figure.

Thanks for the info. Now, if anyone has any creative ideas to get a flat-screen to AR, I am all ears. The last time I went through customs they did not even look at the monitor when my luggage went through the screener. Missed opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    You can also try another trick I have used several times. If the light is red and they direct you to the scanners, look for the one where the chabon looking at the screen is checking out the ass of the girl working next to him and just walk right through.
    Hehe! That one always works!

The first time I came to BA I had a laptop, cell phone, handicam, digital camera, tripod, and a tickle me elmo (thats a long story) Customs guy asked me where I was arriving from, Los Angeles, and where I was returning too, Los Angeles, and what was the nature of my visit, tourist. Then he waved me through.

Next time I come down I'm bringing a whole bunch more that that! Heh.

I have brought 2 notebooks, and some electronic equipment (router wifi, palms, etc) I think you can bring how much you want, as long as the stuff is yours and is not new (unopened)

When I went to Ciudad del este (a tax free city in Paraguay). They told me to throw away the box of the camera I bought, In a way to evade the border-tax. (the free limit is quite low). They can't charge border-tax on stuff that isn't new.

The most I ever had when searched

Was a desktop with monitor, 2 laptops, a razor, 2 wireless playstation controllers and about 20 USB memory thingys. The guys asked me what it was, I said it was mine. Off I went.

You can also try another trick I have used several times. If the light is red and they direct you to the scanners, look for the one where the chabon looking at the screen is checking out the ass of the girl working next to him and just walk right through. I've never once been stopped doing that but my plan was to be the stupid Norte Americano that doesn't understand Spanish if anybody said anything.

I swear, not that I would advocate it, but you could bring 500 lbs of crank through EZE and nobody would notice, customs is a joke.

You can buy any connectors you need at the Galaria at Tucoman and Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Damman
    Have read where bringing in computer stuff / electronic equipment can be of some concern through customs. Specifically, home wifi thing: LINK. Bringing an old lap top and Iphone and can use them both with the LINK thing. Am told the apartment has Internet and not so sure of what type connector, but cross that bridge when I get there. What the hell did I do before the Internet?

Thanks
    I bring all that stuff plus, all they have ever ask is if it was for me, when I replied it was for my use, they waved me on. I've taken all my addictive electronics into Argentina about 15 times now.

I think when they see 2 or 3 or more of the same thing then they may push the issue.

Bringing computers and electronics through customs

Have read where bringing in computer stuff / electronic equipment can be of some concern through customs. Specifically, home wifi thing: LINK. Bringing an old lap top and Iphone and can use them both with the LINK thing. Am told the apartment has Internet and not so sure of what type connector, but cross that bridge when I get there. What the hell did I do before the Internet?

Thanks

Bringing computers and electronics through customs

Posting Limitations