This blog is moderated by Member #3320

Thank's.

Buenos Aires' tango sceen is quite boring these days and I hope these are good places to go even alone;-)

Didn't find any info on the net about "Opera City" it's new or they keep on changing names?

M.

Just Do It Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Mika75
    Hi,

I'm wondering if this list is still up to date or if there is anotherone on this site (didn't find any but never know)
    Just go to:

Gran Bar Danzon - Wed and thurs.

Museum - Wed.

Milion - any day.

Opera City - Wed night before 9 pm. 940 Alsina.

Fuck the Rest!

TL

Quote Originally Posted by Captain
    Voodoo.

Baez 340

Palermo.

4772-2453

Somewhere between a club and a bar, Voodoo has DJs from beyond Buenos Aires and an atmosphere of true cool. It is a place to see people and been seen, whether that be at the bar, on the dance floor, or in one of the lounge chairs.
    Name is no longer Voodoo. Changed to Kandy, about 5 years ago, and it's currently a restaurant. Kandy was very cool, but they closed last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hunt
    Drove past in a taxi looking for Millon, parana 1048 Recoleta, but appears to have closed down. I then went around the corner to Sahara, a bar cum disco near Hippopotamus, for a couple.

After this I went into the Newport but this is a pro bar, beers 30 pesos I should have known!

I have found Kilkennys to have a few freelancers in there several times a week, pints of guiness p39 just about fell off the chair when they told me! This place has not changed much still dark and dreary, different bar flys though.

I will report on any others as they come to light.

Mike
    Milion is definitely still open, I was just there last week. Remember, there are no flashing neon lights.

On the other hand, I walked by The Museum twice recently and have seen zero activity there.

Drove past in a taxi looking for Millon, Parana 1048 Recoleta, but appears to have closed down. I then went around the corner to Sahara, a bar cum disco near Hippopotamus, for a couple.

After this I went into the Newport but this is a pro bar, beers 30 pesos I should have known!

I have found Kilkennys to have a few freelancers in there several times a week, pints of guiness p39 just about fell off the chair when they told me! This place has not changed much still dark and dreary, different bar flys though.

I will report on any others as they come to light.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mika75
    Hi,

I'm wondering if this list is still up to date or if there is anotherone on this site (didn't find any but never know)
    You would have to check them out and let us know!

Most of them should still be there!

Hi,

I'm wondering if this list is still up to date or if there is anotherone on this site (didn't find any but never know).

Quote Originally Posted by Lennylennon
    It's called "La Puerta Roja" and it's on the calle "Chacabuco" (733 to be exact)
    Enjoy!:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain
    The Red Door.

Piedras, next to the Tango Hostel at 680 Piedras.

San Telmo
    It's called "La Puerta Roja" and it's on the calle "Chacabuco" (733 to be exact)

Any input on new bars or hot spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet77
    Kudos, my friend.

Hopes yo livah holds out!

Glad to see you mentioned the TAZZ in Plaza Serrano. Rockin Bob and I like to go there, shoot pool, guzzle beer and ogle the cute young Portenas leaning over the tables. But I suspect Rockin Bob's biggest reason to go there is to hassle the DJ into playing his favorite makeout music from his misspent youth. Most of his choices make my eyes glaze over. However we both agree on the eternal unrequited love sentiments of "Walk Away Renee" and "Pretty Ballerina" by The Left Banke.

I will always associate the latter song with blue balls and a girl I dated who grew up to become a headline stripper and bit actress. Her boobs have a walk-on part in Good Luck Chuck. No, I'm not referring to Jessica Alba.

Also I should suggest inclusion of my friend's place, the Truman Bar on Bonpland which is re-opening after renovations on October 1. If they're having an opening party, I'll try to get you an invite.
    This is a a place for the newbies to check out some local scene either before a night of naughtyness or just a change of pace for the night. We went last night as a pre game and was suprised to see so much in the square like utopia and a few others. We wrote down the addresses of a few places then realized they were all right there. Tazz has a great feel and who doesnt like a pool stick and a cold one now and then. Its nice to pay decent prices for a drink and a good time. We went on Sunday because we wanted to go out and knew the game would suck anyway so we planned to pull a girl somewere else late. There were about 6 knockouts in here. All with their little boyfriends but hey it was Sunday and that proves its a good area. I think the bar security was intimidated or something by me though. He kept staring at me regardless of my initial greeting. I think he was waiting for me to do something stupid. I'm a gringo by far though and fairly young plus we were throwin em back pretty good. Had a great time though. THANKS CAPTAIN we followed your guide to cover yet another slice of our pie while on vaca will go to more.

Great List!

Kudos, my friend.

Hopes yo livah holds out!

Glad to see you mentioned the TAZZ in Plaza Serrano. Rockin Bob and I like to go there, shoot pool, guzzle beer and ogle the cute young Portenas leaning over the tables. But I suspect Rockin Bob's biggest reason to go there is to hassle the DJ into playing his favorite makeout music from his misspent youth. Most of his choices make my eyes glaze over. However we both agree on the eternal unrequited love sentiments of "Walk Away Renee" and "Pretty Ballerina" by The Left Banke.

I will always associate the latter song with blue balls and a girl I dated who grew up to become a headline stripper and bit actress. Her boobs have a walk-on part in Good Luck Chuck. No, I'm not referring to Jessica Alba.

Also I should suggest inclusion of my friend's place, the Truman Bar on Bonpland which is re-opening after renovations on October 1. If they're having an opening party, I'll try to get you an invite.

Sidney,

I am not sure what exactly you want to say by "we appreciate your list"? Damn!!You almost sound like my ex- School Principal or CEO of a company, I may be working "under"!! :-)

Jokes apart, my list is basically for 27-47 age group on visiting mongers, who may be into pub crawling and want to know about the currently happening "non-mongering" places in Buenos Aires. I personally like to visit non-mongering non-pick-up joints as well, and assume their may be other mongers visiting BA with similar interests & tastes as me and hence I posted the list for them.

I have been to most of the places you mentioned but didn't consider them worth mentioning as some of the places are meant either for teenagers (late teens / early 20's swarming in to get free beer) or absolutely empty pubs for older men (55+) who like it quiet and slow or these places were just not up to the mark as per my viewpoint to make into that list. Or I perhaps forgot to mention them in the list.Or I just didn't get time to visit it.

Nevertheless, I never said that ALL these places have great service or great food or are pick up joints. However, it does not necessarily mean that they are not worthy of being among the top BA pubs, cos of this reason alone.

You are welcome to create your own advisory list & recommendations.

Thanks,

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    We appreciate your list. I have been to few of them because of their distance from the more Monger frequented bars of Recoleta, Barrio Norte, and Micro Center. I have been to: 1. Sullivan's--I rate as average at best, with poor service. 2. Temple Bar-- I rate as below average with loud music, older women, and bad food. 3. Milion--A special case = full of dates doing dinner, many Argie cliques, bad service, but beautiful, and not a pick-up place. A better place, nearby is El Living. Some others you might try previously reviewed bars, Shamrock, Gran Bar Danzon, El Encuentro, Junin 1771, Puerto? Near La Lopez) and The Spot. Personally, I favor El Alamo and the Casa Bar.
    Yes, an update on The Spot would be nice. I haven't been there in a long time. I always had the impression they would not be around for long, but very little overhead. There used to be a smattering of little dewdrops there, and the barkeep was pretty accomodating. The proverbial hole in the wall with some decent tunes at times.

I still keep and eye on The Shamrock as I pass by the intersection of Arenales and Rodriguez Pena. Still packed to the gills. Strikes me as the Alamo crowd but with a few more years on them and a little more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuler
    Captain. Quite a list of places you have visited. I was wondering what you were doing other than the chicas.

Soul Cafe- I liked the place also, but I thought it was closed? Obviously not.

The listings in San Telmo intrigue me. I will certainly have to check it out.

Thanks for The Palermo lists also. As it shouldn't be far from where I will be staying.

Did you go to Van Koning in Las Canitas- Dutch bar. Decent brews.

I also went to Bar Uriarte a couple times.

Best Regards.

Smuler
    Soul Cafe is still open!

I have been to Van Koning, but didnt find it worth mentioning in this list.

Cheers

Posting Limitations