Thread: Asunción, Paraguay

+ Submit Report
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky
    On banks and residency from: http://www.paraguay-business.com/2008/07/

1. When applying for official residence, it is a requirement (unless you own property) that you deposit US$ 5000 or equivalent in an account in your name at a Paraguayan bank.

2. If you want to hold Guarani (PYG) as an investment, you will need a bank account in Paraguay, as banks in other countries do not offer accounts in Paraguayan currency.

In either of these cases, it is possible for a foreigner to open an account in a Paraguayan bank, but it is difficult. The main obstacle is guidance sent out a few years ago by the Paraguayan Central Bank which specifically prohibits the local banks from opening accounts for persons who do not have a Paraguayan cedula.

The only bank we have found that has a solution to this problem is the Banco Nacional de Fomento, a state-owned bank. They will open a type of savings account called a Caja de Ahorro for non-residents. To open the account you will need to show up in person at their head office equipped with a bank reference and a copy of your passport. You will need to speak some Spanish, and you will need to supply a local address in Paraguay. It is not possible to open accounts in advance by correspondence.
    Happy go lucky!

Thanks man!

Excellent work!

Any information on Paraguayan residency?

What about Encarnación?

One of my favoritas is from there. We were talking last night about Paraguay. She told me that there was a lot of chica's there.

Granted she did tell me it was much more rural than Asuncion.

She was looking at airfare last night on my computer. She would fly to Posadas and then have an hour or so drive to her family's house in Paraguay.

Excellent research HappyGo.

You guys are the most intelligent, organized, and horny old goats on Planet Earth

They should put the members of ArgentianPrivate in change of the USA Fed. Remember what Captain Tony (Key West Mayor) said "All you need is a strong sex drive.

On banks and residency from: http://www.paraguay-business.com/2008/07/

1. When applying for official residence, it is a requirement (unless you own property) that you deposit US$ 5000 or equivalent in an account in your name at a Paraguayan bank.

2. If you want to hold Guarani (PYG) as an investment, you will need a bank account in Paraguay, as banks in other countries do not offer accounts in Paraguayan currency.

In either of these cases, it is possible for a foreigner to open an account in a Paraguayan bank, but it is difficult. The main obstacle is guidance sent out a few years ago by the Paraguayan Central Bank which specifically prohibits the local banks from opening accounts for persons who do not have a Paraguayan cedula.

The only bank we have found that has a solution to this problem is the Banco Nacional de Fomento, a state-owned bank. They will open a type of savings account called a Caja de Ahorro for non-residents. To open the account you will need to show up in person at their head office equipped with a bank reference and a copy of your passport. You will need to speak some Spanish, and you will need to supply a local address in Paraguay. It is not possible to open accounts in advance by correspondence.

Quote Originally Posted by El Queso
    Not sure about that. My sense is that it probably wouldn't be a problem if you are located in a safe neighborhood, but even in the States I would worry about someone breaking into my house if Iw as away for long periods of time.
    I agree with you totally. It does not make sense to buy anything in any part of the world and leave it empty for long periods. I guess it makes sense to simply rent if at all!

Venues: 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain
    El Queso & El Alamo,

Aa) How wise is it to invest in property there. How safe is it if you are not living there 12 months a year?
    Not sure about that. My sense is that it probably wouldn't be a problem if you are located in a safe neighborhood, but even in the States I would worry about someone breaking into my house if Iw as away for long periods of time.

As far as worried about losing the land itself because of government confiscation because you're a foreigner - probably next to nothing, unless you are talking a big estancia in 'el campo.'

With the latter, there have been some noises about returning large tracts of land to the "people" where absentee owners are not using the land. In fact, most of these that I've heard about are really questionable as to ownership to begin with. Apparently there are foreigners (including not a few brasileiros) that acquired their land in very a questionable manner and possibly don't even have a title to it.

I think for about anything you would think about, there wouldn't be any problems.

Bb) How safe is opening a bank account in Paraguay and keeping some money there?
    I have never heard of any banking problems related to the banks there. There may be some issues getting money into the country, a nd I don't know if a foreigner can get a bank account there easily, although a real estate contact I had there didn't seem to think it would be a problem.

Dd) what kind of price are we discussing for buying a house in a good area with a swimming pool, tennis court and the works?
    Roughly between $50K-120K dollars, depending on size, exact location, condition, etc.

Although, I don't know about a tennis court, at least not in the city. May not be enough room for all that. Build something outside of the city and I bet you can do pretty much what you want.

One property that I seriously considered was downtown, near the military police headquarters. It was a three story building, on a corner, attached to other building. Two stories high with a grill on the roof. It had an open atrium, with the bedrooms actually opening below on the first floor directly into the space. High ceilings, a good amount of space. Roughly 200 sq mtrs. The asking price was $45K.

It needed to be fixed up quite a bit. New paint, repair wood molding. Beautiful tiled floors that needed to be restored. New windows. I wanted to close in the atrium above to seal the house. Big kitchen. Friendly neighborhood. Estimates for all the work - $8K dollars. I figured double that just to make sure.

Another house I looked at near Villa Morra was about 150 sq mtrs, pool, wall around the house. Reasonable quality construction. Price was about $100K dollars, and mostly because of being in Villa Morra, because I saw a couple of similar houses outside the city for around $70K.

I looked at some houses around $20K dollars. Not what I would want to live in, but not terrible. 1-2 bedroom houses in neighborhoods with dirt roads, that kind of thing.

As both Argento and El Alamo comment, I think that Paraguay, if it can keep the Colorado party out of its government as much as possible, is going to do better and better over the next 5-10 years. It really ahs nowhere but up to go.

I've said this before, I think of Paraguay as the American "Wild West" to a certain extent. Not as far as outlaw-ness goes, but as far as the opportunities with a minimum of bureaucratic red tape to go through to do many things.

Both Argentina and Paraguay have sordid histories. Paraguay has a legacy of brutal dictators I. E. Stroessner etc while Argentina has Peron who instituted policies (ridiculous labor laws, empowering worthless unions) which guarantee Argentina's slow, perpetual decline.

Both countries have immense intrinsic wealth but I have to agree with Argento. Paraguay will prove to be the racehorse and Argentina will morph more and more into a donkey

P.S. I forgot to mention Argentina's most famous legacy. The refusal to repay debt. Over half a century ago the Paris Club (United States, France. Germany, Great Britain and Japan) was formed to force Argentna to honor its debt. As we sit here today, nothing has changed. Argentina is still an outcast in the world economic community.

Paraguay, on the other hand, has no such legacy and Paraguays debt rating was recently upgraded.

El Queso & El Alamo,

Most of the queries regarding chicas and lifestyle have been answered. I had the following different queries:-

Aa) How wise is it to invest in property there. How safe is it if you are not living there 12 months a year?

Bb) How safe is opening a bank account in Paraguay and keeping some money there?

Cc) Hows the traffic and car parking charges / facilities from the point of view of keeping a car there. Comparison to BA would be beneficial.

Dd) what kind of price are we discussing for buying a house in a good area with a swimming pool, tennis court and the works?

Thanks in advance.

I really appreciate the kind of information, I have got on Paraguay on this forum. Three cheers to El Queso, El Alamo, Tequilla Tim.

Suerte
    Traffic is like a country town. Plenty of street parking down town and the drivers are USA courteous. They even respect pedestrians.

The Paraguayos who were in business were very gung-ho on their economy. All expressed confidence in the future and provided you have confidence in the future of grains, pulses and hydro electricity, why wouldn't you?

Because of the restrictive banking practices in Argentina, western banking per se doesn't exist here. The banks in Argentina make their money on credit card fees. Paraguay banks look and feel more like conventional banks. But who knows? Reports in The Economist on South American banking do not flag Paraguay as bad. Money certainly is easy to change. Their currency has appreciated 50% against the U$ in the past year.

My gut feeling from our visit was that the place had all the vibes of being in the ascendant rather than like Argentina, being in the descendant. TT and I are looking at a business proposition as I write. I think it has a great future.

Argento

El Queso & El Alamo,

Most of the queries regarding chicas and lifestyle have been answered. I had the following different queries:-

Cc) Hows the traffic and car parking charges / facilities from the point of view of keeping a car there. Comparison to BA would be beneficial.

Thanks in advance.

I really appreciate the kind of information, I have got on Paraguay on this forum. Three cheers to El Queso, El Alamo, Tequilla Tim.

Suerte

Quote Originally Posted by Iamzonzon
    - is there a strong division from one class to the other?
    Take a look at this article; it demonstrates the attitude some of the rich have toward the poor.

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/f...raguay-embassy

"Two former employees of Paraguay's ambassador to France say they were treated like dogs."

Quote Originally Posted by Westy
    Thank you for your answer to this - I had heard some "historical" stuff going back to the War of the Triple Alliance, but I wasn't as familiar with the more-recent sociology. It saddens me. And surprises me a little; for the few Paraguayan men I worked with on my one official visit (and hung out with on a couple of later social visits on my personal tab) were effective, capable, smart, hard workers, and from what I saw they were decent to their subordinates. (Do I lose points for admitting they're in the military?
    There are many good, hard workers in the cities. I don't mean to give the impression that all Paraguayan men are weak and let their women support them. Many men living in the city itself have decent (relatively) jobs and are hard working, concientious folk.

There are those who live close to the city who are different. My sister-in-law has kids with one of these guys - they live in Itagua, about 30 km outside the city. He uses the two kids to blackmail her into doing whatever he wants her to basically.

I think it has a lot to do with ignorance (propogated by dictators for a damned long time) and a lack of change thereof. The further out you get fromt he cities, the more ignorance and "old ways" there are.

As far as the guys you knew being military - nothing really wrong with that nowadays as far as the impact the military has on the country. Those guys will mostly be the best and brightest of the country anyway, outside of well-educated people. They may have even gone to one of the military academies (which isn't exactly cheap for the poor, but not unattainable)

One story I heard from a fellow norteamericano, who had spent several years in Asuncion, held that the women of Paraguay, after the War of the Triple Alliance, were given "special dispensation" from the Pope to "be especially fruitful, for the sake of the future of Paraguay" (and never mind trying to put a wedlock on the guy who sires your contribution thereto. Wondered if you'd heard anything about that one, especially back in "el campo"?
    Yep, that's the exact same thing I've heard from my wife and her family. It still affects the Paraguayans' attitudes (at least in 'el campo') related to sex, in fact. Paraguayans tend to start having sex REALLY EARLY in many cases. The parents don't necessarily see it as wrong - they're biggest concern now is the result of those unions. That is, another baby to feed. So some of that Pope's special dispensation attitude still exists, albeit a bit warped.

Paraguayans (at least in 'el campo') have a strange mixture of religions. The Catholic church certainly holds sway (although there are enclaves of Protestants - and even Mormons) but they don't let things like the the church's prohibition of contraceptives phase them - that's not the reason they don't use contraception, it's just that it feels so much better without a condom!

As an aside, my wife's grandfather was a witch doctor. He healed people of evil spirits all the time, and was known to be one of the best and most famous "doctors" in the region. He knew all about herbal remedies for removing curses and possessions and all sorts of things like that. He recently died and before he left the world, ordered that all of his journals and writings that contained his spells and recipes to be buried with him so the knowledge that he had carefully guarded in life wouldn't be passed on to those who no longer knew how to deal with it.

I have a couple of friends who have had Paraguayan wives. As one of them advised me, "If you treat her nicely - just decently, by USA standards - she's going to feel that you're treating her like a princess. And she'll treat you like a prince, in return!"
    I completely agree with that statement. It has been my experience so far. Three years and my wife is always looking for ways to make me comfortable, to take a load off of me while I'm earning money, the whole nine yards. I love it.

It's something my ex could never understand. Neither men nor women should expect to just be treated nicely by their other half just because they're married. To be treated like princesses just because they're married. My wife absolutely dotes on me because I treat her like a woman who I respect and she would do anything for me. And vice versa - after twenty years of living in hell with an idiot American women, I realize now what a real relationship should be like.

Sorry to get back on some politics and extraneous stuff, but I find Paraguay to be a fascinating culture and just wanted to share some tidbits

And how is the Gringo Effect, generally?

- girls are attracted?

- guys jealous?
    Gringo effect works pretty well. Girls are attracted. This might be more true in 'el campo' than in the city.

I don't know about jealous guys, I'm sure there would be some. However, Paraguayans for the most part like to avoid violence, although there are a crazy few. Guys who are about to lose their cash cow might get a bit bent out of shape, but many younger single girls aren't yet in that situation.

- everyone working you for a tip / increased prices?
    Not really. I found doing business with Paraguayans quite pleasant, particularly compared to most interactions on that level I've had with Argentinos.

One thing that's a lot better in Argentina than in Paraguay are the car windshield washers, though. They are very persistent and often will wash your window whether or not you want it, and then ***** when you don't pay.

A couple times I had been in the shopping mall near Villa Morra and left my car off the get it washed. Shortly after getting it back, all nice and clean, I was accosted by these guys wanting to wash my window with dirty water and rags and had to open my door ina threat to kjeep them from muddying it up!

Another time, again with a clean car, I was in San Lorenzo looking for property and had the same issue. This time I did get out fo the car and they ran off, just out of reach, and started laughing. A good time was had by all.

- is there a strong division from one class to the other?
    Yeah, there can be.

SORRY! I must have been driving you fuckers crazy with my off topic posts!

Just pulled my head out of my ass and bought a membership to the sister site - international sex guide. WOW I get it. Tons of info.

Thank you for your answer to this - I had heard some "historical" stuff going back to the War of the Triple Alliance, but I wasn't as familiar with the more-recent sociology. It saddens me. And surprises me a little; for the few Paraguayan men I worked with on my one official visit (and hung out with on a couple of later social visits on my personal tab) were effective, capable, smart, hard workers, and from what I saw they were decent to their subordinates. (Do I lose points for admitting they're in the military?

One story I heard from a fellow norteamericano, who had spent several years in Asuncion, held that the women of Paraguay, after the War of the Triple Alliance, were given "special dispensation" from the Pope to "be especially fruitful, for the sake of the future of Paraguay" (and never mind trying to put a wedlock on the guy who sires your contribution thereto. Wondered if you'd heard anything about that one, especially back in "el campo"?

I have a couple of friends who have had Paraguayan wives. As one of them advised me, "If you treat her nicely - just decently, by USA standards - she's going to feel that you're treating her like a princess. And she'll treat you like a prince, in return!" Unfortunately, he had a break-up with his Paraguayita when they came back to the States. But it was an amicable one; she's doing fine for herself in North Carolina, and not by "court-ordered mooching" if you know what I mean.

My hope is that Fernando Lugo does Paraguay some good. (OTOH, I hope he doesn't manage to wean the women off of hearty, bouncy sex with well-to-do extranjeros.)

Quote Originally Posted by El Queso
    It's why I talked about some of the political stuff, because it sets the stage for seeing Paraguayan women as they are. Maybe I didn't go far enough in explaining what I meant by bringing that up. It's a complex subject. When you ask about what women are like there, there are all kinds really. There are smart women, there are stupid, ignorant women. There are brave women and there are cowards who let their men walk all over them. It's hard not to talk about what women are like there without talking about a little history and politics to go along with it.
    Last edited by Westy; 11-24-09 at 21:09. Reason: Add comment on Paraguayitas as wives - not my personal experience....

Quote Originally Posted by El Alamo
    P. S. I just bought a bar here. It is on Mcal Lopez across the street from the Brazalian embassy. Mcal Lopez would remind you of Greenwich Connecticut with mansion after mansion, embassy after embassy (including the USA embassy) and the palace of the President of Paraguay.
    On the mansions from: http://www.dispatchesfromthevanishin...rinterd28.html

Asuncion's second wave of mansion-building occurred between 1978 and 1982, when the world's largest hydroelectric dam, Itaipu, was being built across the Parana River, which separates Paraguay from Brazil. Financed entirely by Brazil and by multilateral banks, the project pumped around $2 billion into the Paraguayan economy, half of which is "informal" -a thriving trade in contraband whiskey, cigarettes, soybeans, VCRs, P. C. S, counterfeit Rolexes, stolen cars, smuggled Brazilian babies, you name it. Most of the Itaipu money slipped under the table and after a year or two of frenzied untraceable transactions-kickbacks, shakedowns, payoffs, all manner of usury, graft, and carruptela-several thousand garish new villas of prodigious square-footage appeared in Asuncion, especially along the airport road and in the barrio of Villa Mora. The houses were built in an exuberance of styles-Swiss chalet, tropical-alpine kitsch, Neo-Gothic, neo-Niemeyer, neo-Khashoggi, neo-Trump. Their only unifying elements are a satellite dish on the roof and a Mercedes in the driveway. The size and flamboyance of one's mansion depended, of course, on how close one was to the Tyrannosaur, as Stroessner's subjects called him, on how high up one had risen in the hierarchy of corruption that he had institutionalized and was fond of describing as "the price of peace."

Posting Limitations