This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Any gotchas with an iPhone 4's?

I'm planning to turn up with the smartphone I use routinely in England; which I fear will cost a few pounds a megabyte for 3 G, and a pound or so a minute for phone calls.

Is using an iphone going to be like walking around with a Rolex, constantly worried about theft, or are they now as ubiquitous in be. A. As in London?

Is wifi ubiquitous enough that I can avoid using 3 G data?

Is it possible to buy a low-end PAYG stupidphone for a trivial price, or do you have to be a resident for that?

I use unlocked Iphone 4, with no issues in BA on local sim cards with 3 g / data.

Thanks guys. IPhone 3gs seems like a solid choice. Checked on ebay, it can be factory unlocked without jailbreaking for $3! I'll probably jailbreak and unlock it for practice and fun, since I have time anyway. Of course, this all depends on bootrom and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    I have one as well, if you get one make sure the modem firmware is 06. 15. 00 if not you will have to hack that as well to use AR sim chips. To find out select Settings- General- About then look towards the bottom. Mine started life as a normal Iphone and I had to Jailbreak- unlock- update the modem firmware to get it to accept any simcard. Unlocking and jailbreaking are not that hard, the last step has a significant failure rate and if it does you will brick the device. That's why I suggest checking it before buying it.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-upd...-4.2.1-unlock/
    I was researching, but redsn0w doesn't appear to work untethered past 5. 1.1, is yours tethered? Arg sim won't work on 5. 1.1? Not trying to make this a technical thread LOL but might be useful to others.

Iphone 3Gs

I have one as well, if you get one make sure the modem firmware is 06. 15. 00 if not you will have to hack that as well to use AR sim chips. To find out select Settings- General- About then look towards the bottom. Mine started life as a normal Iphone and I had to Jailbreak- unlock- update the modem firmware to get it to accept any simcard. Unlocking and jailbreaking are not that hard, the last step has a significant failure rate and if it does you will brick the device. That's why I suggest checking it before buying it.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-upd...-4.2.1-unlock/

Quote Originally Posted by Davenyc  [View Original Post]
    I read back to 2010, and this is what I gleamed. Basically, I can get a cheap prepaid phone upon arrival from Movistar or Personel for calls and text, got that much. I see there is 3g data available for navigation and such, but I obviously need a smart phone, does it absolutely need to be unlocked? I've never dealt with an unlocked phone before. I'm not worried about getting robbed is there any smart phone I could purchase here used on ebay that I should lean towards?
    Insure the unlocked phone is "GSM" and takes a standard size SIM card to keep it simple. Am partial to the iPhone and the 3rd generation phone is what I use, standard SIM. A factory unlocked iphone (3rd generation) goes for about $125. 00 on Craigslist. I stick with the factory unlock because all my apps and stuff are downloadable at no charge on my 3rd generation iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by Davenyc  [View Original Post]
    I read back to 2010, and this is what I gleamed. Basically, I can get a cheap prepaid phone upon arrival from Movistar or Personel for calls and text, got that much. I see there is 3g data available for navigation and such, but I obviously need a smart phone, does it absolutely need to be unlocked? I've never dealt with an unlocked phone before. I'm not worried about getting robbed, is there any smart phone I could purchase here used on ebay that I should lean towards?
    No idea about cheap cell phones to buy but it DEFINITELY has to be UNLOCKED or it won't accept a different chip. Depending on your cell phone, you may be able to get it unlocked.

Recap

I read back to 2010, and this is what I gleamed. Basically, I can get a cheap prepaid phone upon arrival from Movistar or Personel for calls and text, got that much. I see there is 3g data available for navigation and such, but I obviously need a smart phone, does it absolutely need to be unlocked? I've never dealt with an unlocked phone before. I'm not worried about getting robbed, is there any smart phone I could purchase here used on ebay that I should lean towards?

I have had Claro for the last year and have a buddy add credits to my phone before I return. The kiosks merely need the number and carrier and my old Motorola Razr V3 works good enough for me to talk and text. My mini computer is for emails and the internet. I am going to try my luck with a Kindle Fire this trip as well at a BsAs hot Spot. Will post if it works.

MB

Personel 9 months without use+activate within five minutes of buying time at airport

My ancient cell with ancient sim is still cranking away. Use my newer top of the line 4 g verizon cell for wifi-can send photos, watch the news, read a book or newpaper just fine. No gatita would ever want to steal my old trusty motorola v197 which has a good radio, great battery life and english / spanish word completion with the accents and tildas.

I own 3 of them--all purchased on ebay for us$25 or less

Wonder what's been happening with Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    I don't know how long a sim without credit is guaranteed to survive but only once in four years have I been able to use my sim card purchased a year earlier. (My stays are more or less 2 months. And I've been using Personal.)

Bob
    Very curious information Bob, considering that Mplexy is using Personal like you. My corrienties buddy, years ago, indicated that this was some sort of requirement that all carriers had to comply with. My moviestar has always worked and now we hear that personal also is good to go. Wonder why you have had problems? Monger on All. Toymann

Good to hear Mplexy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mpexy  [View Original Post]
    Landed yesterday and today was able to recharge my Personal cell no problem. Which I last used just under 17 months ago. Great tip Toymann. Looks like Personal must follow same rule your Moviestar buddy said they do.

As expected, credit balance had expired but was able to walk into kiosco and add credits. Tested with 20 pesos and went through with confirmation text back to my phone in 2-3min.

Was going to try recharging at airport but huge flight delays had me way late and tired so just headed into city and hit Newport for a wrong head thinking mistake move, then sleep.

So can't quite say 100% sim card is good for 22months but since mine went 17 months, I'd say 99% sure that claim seems right. Awesome to know, make my return trips lot easier. I used to just throw away my phones after each trip.
    It never hurts to have real folks in Argentina to defer to on issues such as these. I have posted this information at least twice on this thread in the past years since I stopped letting El Jeffe keep my phone, and that's been at least 4 years ago. You are now the gold standard as I have never gone more than 6 months without activity on my phone. Monger on Dude. Toymann

Looks like 22month rule is good

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    Just keep in mind I can only speak to my experience with MovieStar. For five years now my number is unchanged. Just ask my Chicas! LOL. I would suggest if you have any concerns that you initially charge 20 pesos only. You'll know right away if the number works as you get the verifivation text message. Good luck in January Bob. Monger On Dude. Toymann.

Ps. I am also quite curious about the 22 month rule I was told by my buddy who was in conatct with the Movoestar folks. Assuming that Mplexy is MovieStar his 17 month absense will test the validity of this information. I can only speak unequivalently regarding a 6-7 month inactive period. Been good for over 5 years now.
    Landed yesterday and today was able to recharge my Personal cell no problem. Which I last used just under 17 months ago. Great tip Toymann. Looks like Personal must follow same rule your Moviestar buddy said they do.

As expected, credit balance had expired but was able to walk into kiosco and add credits. Tested with 20 pesos and went through with confirmation text back to my phone in 2-3min.

Was going to try recharging at airport but huge flight delays had me way late and tired so just headed into city and hit Newport for a wrong head thinking mistake move, then sleep.

So can't quite say 100% sim card is good for 22months but since mine went 17 months, I'd say 99% sure that claim seems right. Awesome to know, make my return trips lot easier. I used to just throw away my phones after each trip.

I let you know about Claro

I've had the same Claro number for a little over five years (30 plus rountrips, during that period). I would always have an extra AR$20 tarjeta and AR$100 (or so) cash in tucked into my passport, so that I could zip through the airport and get straight into the remis, without diddling around at the airport and without speaking English beyond the remis kiosko. It is amazing how fast I can get through EZE (I don't check bags, if at all possible). I've probably gone from the plane to the car in around 15 minutes. However, I haven't been in town in a while and I am curious as to whether or not my Claro sim will come back to life.

Fair enough Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    Thanks Toymann, that's interesting. If they tell me the sim is no longer usable in January I will try to argue with them and at least find out why it is no longer usable when it's been used within the past year. Of course unless I get one of the few people at Personal who speak English that could be a very difficult conversation.

It will be interesting to hear how Mpexy makes out.

Bob
    Just keep in mind I can only speak to my experience with MovieStar. For five years now my number is unchanged. Just ask my Chicas! LOL. I would suggest if you have any concerns that you initially charge 20 pesos only. You'll know right away if the number works as you get the verifivation text message. Good luck in January Bob. Monger On Dude. Toymann

ps. I am also quite curious about the 22 month rule I was told by my buddy who was in conatct with the Movoestar folks. Assuming that Mplexy is MovieStar his 17 month absense will test the validity of this information. I can only speak unequivalently regarding a 6-7 month inactive period. Been good for over 5 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann  [View Original Post]
    Just checked my travel schedule the last 8 years. I got my sim card 5 years ago this past April. I travel to Argentina every March / April and September / October plus 4 other trips in this time period outside of these usual trips. Years ago I used to have Jackson keep my cell phone (and make a call or two per month) , as I believed it had to stay active during my time outside of Argentina to keep the number alive. Three years ago I asked my buddy in corrienties, who owns a kiosko, about what was nessessary to keep the sim alive. He called Moviestar and was told 22 months without use was the kill date per some argentine cell law. At that time I stopped having Jackson keep the phone. It lives to this day. Thats the facts Jack, as I know them. Monger On. Toymann.

Ps. If you leave Argentina without using all the minutes they disappear after 1 month without activity BUT the number lives. My buddy also related this info to me after his conversation with moviestar
    Thanks Toymann, that's interesting. If they tell me the sim is no longer usable in January I will try to argue with them and at least find out why it is no longer usable when it's been used within the past year. Of course unless I get one of the few people at Personal who speak English that could be a very difficult conversation.

It will be interesting to hear how Mpexy makes out.

Bob

Posting Limitations