This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Mini sim card

In 2013 i bought a regular size sim card on street for 10 pesos.

It worked fine. Lol. Sometimes Argentina works.

My question is can i buy a mini sim card on street for my newer phone which uses mini sim card thanks.

TOPE CEL Santa Fe 2371

This is a retail outlet for cell phones.

They are the #1 seller on mercadolibre where you can see their entire inventory of over 50 models of cell phones.

Open 6 days a week at 10 am.

Good prices, good service, everything guaranteed for a year.

When my old phone died, they had me up and running with a new phone along with a factory battery fully charged out the door in less than 10 minutes.

Who says you can't get good service here?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seismo For This Post:

Bob, you're not going to find anything open on the 25th. Your best bet is to get someone to try and sort it out before you arrive. I'd do it for you if I was here, but as already mentioned, I'm shipping out for Christmas! Alternatively you might be better off abandoning the 25th as a lost cause. You should find things open on the 26th.

Buying on the street is cheaper and easier, BUT

I would rather buy a legit chip from an authorized seller. If I have any problems, with I'd, personel will help me in the future.

Off the street chips are normally registered under an "unknown" name and I cannot get help if I need it.

My last chip I used for 10 years or so. I fear it is dead. If I need a replacemet, .

MEMBER #: can you recomed a personel authorized dealer likely open on Dec. 25? Maybe they can get my old number back if it has not been reassigned and provide a modern chip which can accept data. My current travel phone is a Nexus 4 smart phone. I still have my old moto v197 with all my numbers stored on the phone.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiBob  [View Original Post]
    Thanks for any information. I prefer to buy a sim / chip from a legit dealer with my passport, so I can get customer service from Personal if required.

Can I buy a sim at airport?

Any suggestions: I am arriving December 25. I will try to put 10 pesos into the phone at the airport and wait to see if it works, then I need some help or suggestions. Most of the places in the airport will be closed. Most of the phone stores in Recoleta will likely be closed.
    The easiest no hassle sim card is avbl at nuevo de julio estacion de subte, when you exit from line D and move on to Line "c" for Retiro estacion, their is a blind man selling chips for all three..claro, movie star, personal for 15 pesos each..all unmarked chips (if you want to be away from the prying eyes of the big brother), ready to work as soon as you put in yr phone. If you have a open iphone...just carry the special stapler / cutter from USA, meant to make the chip small and you wud be good to go.

For recharge, you have booths electronico en most of the kioskos where you choose service provider, enter your phone number and slip a 100 pesos bill and you are recharged.

Hope this helps.

OUT of Argentina since Sept, 2012. Should Personal sim / chip work with the same number?

Thanks for any information. I prefer to buy a sim / chip from a legit dealer with my passport, so I can get customer service from Personal if required.

Can I buy a sim at airport? Is there a legit dealer near Las Heras and Junin whereI will be staying. The large Personal store on Callao and Sante Fee is closed for a few years. If I require a new sim, I would like to buy a sim from personal so I know it will work and I can find out about data plans. I have enough spanish to do this with a bit of luck and patience.

Any suggestions: I am arriving December 25. I will try to put 10 pesos into the phone at the airport and wait to see if it works, then I need some help or suggestions. Most of the places in the airport will be closed. Most of the phone stores in Recoleta will likely be closed.

My preference is to stay in Recoleta to do this on the 25th is it is possible.

Most likely your sim didn't register ... If they blocked your phone why would another sim work? Anyways. Recommend tmobile with their new international data roaming. No need for a sim.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBossMan  [View Original Post]
    I have a Google Nexus phone. I added a Moviestar sim card and it was working for both voice and text but no data. Today I wake up and I am getting no signal. I take the phone to my phone guy on the corner of Callao and Cordoba where I bought the sim card. The phone guy takes the sim card out and puts it into another phone. We get a signal. The phone guy says that Moviestar is blocking my phone using the serial number and he can fix it for 350 P. Feeling like a fool but not knowing any other solution I agree and leave the phone for 6 hours. When I return signal is working and I am also getting data now which is better than before. Phone guy says if there is any problem just bring it back. I assume he will fix it for what I already paid.

I do not know what the problem was but maybe one of you tech guys can save someone some money in the future on the solution. Phone guy said he worked on it through using USB port on the computer.

Moviestar Phone Issue

I have a Google Nexus phone. I added a Moviestar sim card and it was working for both voice and text but no data. Today I wake up and I am getting no signal. I take the phone to my phone guy on the corner of Callao and Cordoba where I bought the sim card. The phone guy takes the sim card out and puts it into another phone. We get a signal. The phone guy says that Moviestar is blocking my phone using the serial number and he can fix it for 350 P. Feeling like a fool but not knowing any other solution I agree and leave the phone for 6 hours. When I return signal is working and I am also getting data now which is better than before. Phone guy says if there is any problem just bring it back. I assume he will fix it for what I already paid.

I do not know what the problem was but maybe one of you tech guys can save someone some money in the future on the solution. Phone guy said he worked on it through using USB port on the computer.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie45  [View Original Post]
    Cool, they should give me 1. 2 weeks notice on when they will need me down there, so that should give us time enough to get your package and have it ready for travel.
    That would be Great!

Thank You!

TL.

Keep in Touch via PM!

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    You can go to just about any Kiosco and they will reload your minutes and you can buy scratch-off cards and reload it yourself. Always good to have a few extra cards on hand.

Sony..

Express Delivery.

*1-2 business days for standard orders ($10 plus taxes). **4-6 business days for custom orders (no charge).

(FREE).

Standard Delivery.

5-7 business days. Delivery included.

TL.
    Cool, they should give me 1. 2 weeks notice on when they will need me down there, so that should give us time enough to get your package and have it ready for travel.

Minutes

Hey TL.

It costs about $100 Can. For an extra piece. Do you have to go to a kiosk to reload minutes and data or can you do it by see card. How long will it take sony to deliver that package to me I wonder?
    You can go to just about any Kiosco and they will reload your minutes and you can buy scratch-off cards and reload it yourself. Always good to have a few extra cards on hand.

Sony..

Express Delivery.

*1-2 business days for standard orders ($10 plus taxes). **4-6 business days for custom orders (no charge).

(FREE).

Standard Delivery.

5-7 business days. Delivery included.

TL.

I lost 3 phones in the toilet while playing games! Total Loss!

Lose the antenna for sure!

Dual Sims are a great idea because one number can be for the Chicas and the other number can be for your Mother!

I think it's about 1 Peso per day for Data with Movistar. Talking is about 4 pesos a minute or more. Nobody talks. Pure Text. At least the Chicas won't talk.

How much would it cost you for an "extra" piece of luggage? $200.00 dollars?

TL.
    Hey TL.

It costs about $100 Can. For an extra piece. Do you have to go to a kiosk to reload minutes and data or can you do it by see card. How long will it take sony to deliver that package to me I wonder?

Phones

The antenna comes off so that should take some of the ugly out, laughs. I think I have lost 8 phones over the dock so maybe this thing can be rescued.

With my non existing spanish it should make for interesting conversations with the chicas as long as It don't insult them in the translations. I like the idea that it takes 2 sim cards.

What is the cost of data through Movistar on a pay as you go plan?
    I lost 3 phones in the toilet while playing games! Total Loss!

Lose the antenna for sure!

Dual Sims are a great idea because one number can be for the Chicas and the other number can be for your Mother!

I think it's about 1 Peso per day for Data with Movistar. Talking is about 4 pesos a minute or more. Nobody talks. Pure Text. At least the Chicas won't talk.

How much would it cost you for an "extra" piece of luggage? $200.00 dollars?

TL.

It's really UGLY but you can drop it in the Jacuzzi and it won't miss a beat!

The fact that your incoming calls are Free is no big deal down here unless someone tries to call you from a payphone. Not Sure.

The Translator should be useful unless the accents down here throw it off when a local speaks into your phone.

You can always sell the thing when your finished for $1000.00 dollars more than you paid for it if you don't like it.

TL.
    The antenna comes off so that should take some of the ugly out, laughs. I think I have lost 8 phones over the dock so maybe this thing can be rescued.

With my non existing spanish it should make for interesting conversations with the chicas as long as It don't insult them in the translations. I like the idea that it takes 2 sim cards.

What is the cost of data through Movistar on a pay as you go plan?

Ugly But Tough

Hey guys this is what I will have when I come to BA this fall. Feel free to give me your thoughts on this phone.

http://www.ectaco.ca/products/ECTACO...Guard-TLX-ES/..
    It's really UGLY but you can drop it in the Jacuzzi and it won't miss a beat!

The fact that your incoming calls are Free is no big deal down here unless someone tries to call you from a payphone. Not Sure.

The Translator should be useful unless the accents down here throw it off when a local speaks into your phone.

You can always sell the thing when your finished for $1000.00 dollars more than you paid for it if you don't like it.

TL.

Posting Limitations