Thread: Friends With Pros

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Stan Da Man
    Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Da Man
    That it is one of the only reports on this board -- a board filled with reports on encounters with chicas -- where anyone recounted anything about a chica robbing or attempting to rob anyone.
    Hi Stan,

While I don't believe that there's a crime wave going on, I have know of a number of similar "incidences" in the past several years. Unfortunately, in every case the victim was always reluctant to make a report to either the authorities or this forum, generally out of concern for their own personal embarrassment.

That's why I (Note: not the victim) wrote the Irina story.

Thanks,

Jackson

Sometimes they are nice

Ex, I read that long, long ago, before my very first trip to Argentina. You know what's most noteworthy about it? That it is one of the only reports on this board -- a board filled with reports on encounters with chicas -- where anyone recounted anything about a chica robbing or attempting to rob anyone.
    Once as I buzzed Astryd to let me out, she told me that I had dropped my money clip and that I should come up and get it. Also, I once handed Ayi some cash, but a couple of 100 peso notes were stuck together. I didn't notice but she let me know and returned it. There are bad people, but they aren't *all* crack addicts and cutthroats.

Ex,

I read that long, long ago, before my very first trip to Argentina. You know what's most noteworthy about it? That it is one of the only reports on this board -- a board filled with reports on encounters with chicas -- where anyone recounted anything about a chica robbing or attempting to rob anyone.

So, in your own small way, I thank you for proving my point. It's very rare that chicas turn out to be crooks or, at worst, the folks on here who encounter them tend not to report on these experiences, even though they report on all the others.

Thanks, Ex. That is my point exactly. No one ever claimed there is no crime in BA. I claimed only that it is far more rare than many of the Henny Pennies would have you believe. To anyone who has read much of this board, that post is a great example of just how infrequently chicas turn out to be crooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    Stan Da Man,

I'd like to suggest to you to read Jacksons report on Irina. And to keep in mind that "Hobbying" can be a very dangerous sport, especially in Buenos Aires.

Here it is enjoy.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ment-irina.php

Exon

I have spent days and even weeks in the company of certain hookers. I am reasonably sure they are honest, and I know they're not wacked-out on some chemical compound.

However, I would never let any of them have a key to my flat. Not even my proverbial "hookers with hearts of gold."

Retired Member

Stan Da Man,

I'd like to suggest to you to read Jacksons report on Irina. And to keep in mind that "Hobbying" can be a very dangerous sport, especially in Buenos Aires.

Here it is enjoy.

http://www.argentinaprivate.com/foru...ment-irina.php

Exon

Naaaah. It's okay. Truth is, I posted in the Critic Free Zone only because I really didn't know where else to put it. I probably should have looked for a more appropriate place and then let the critics have at it without any qualms. Doesn't look like too many were deterred anyway.

Argento, I take it from your lack of sources that you have none. Saying things are straight out of the local headlines doesn't get us anywhere, does it? All newspapers, even those in BA, have searchable online sections, unless its a publication that's too obscure to matter.

I'll let your lack of any sources be the telltale sign of who's really smug here.

At any rate, we can disagree about how dangerous BA really is. We can all agree that giving the keys out was not a wise decision. I just don't agree with some of those who have taken this to extremes, especially given the circumstances. That's okay. I wanted to post some of my experiences in BA. If you've read any of these three posts, I hope you'll at least agree that I've not tried to self-aggrandize anything or make myself or my comrades look good if to do so would be to paint them / us in a false light. If anything, I've tried to be brutally honest (while changing names to protect the innocent) even where I knew we blundered and even where I knew there would be critics.

I don't mind the jabs. I just hope you don't mind if I jab back a bit when I think it's unfair. All's good. I've learned a lot from you all and will continue to do so in the future. I just thought I'd try to contribute a bit to a very interesting discussion forum, and now I'll set to work plotting on how to get my monger card back. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Argento
    Like I said, a smart arse. My figures are straight out of the local headlines and are current to about a month. And for the Federal Capital and Greater Buenos Aires, not Argentina per se.

Argento

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    Greetings everyone,

FYI, here's how The Critic-Free Zone works: The member who started the thread may request to have any post or posts deleted from the thread at any time, said requests to be made via the "Report Post to Moderator" link in the bottom left corner of every post.

Stan Da Man, it's your decision.

Thanks,

Jackson
    Same here-I forgot this was the critic free zone, though I stand by my complaints about the complainers.:)

Administrator

Venues: 398

How the Critic-Free Zone works

Greetings everyone,

FYI, here's how The Critic-Free Zone works: The member who started the thread may request to have any post or posts deleted from the thread at any time, said requests to be made via the "Report Post to Moderator" link in the bottom left corner of every post.

Stan Da Man, it's your decision.

Thanks,

Jackson

Take a fuckin' powder!

A smart, articulate monger posts a funny story about his experiences in Buenos Aires, and it takes no time to degenerate into another tired fucking debate about the pros and cons of Argentina, which country has more crime, etc. Don't you fuckers ever get tired of beating up the same old thing?

Good recitation of supposed stats. Let's see some sources to back it up. Country crime statistics according to:

1. The United Nations - Murder per capita http://www.nationmaster.com/red/grap...-capita&int=-1 (Argentina doesn't even make the top 62; the U.S. is 24th. Argentina does report. If you search by total rather than per capita, they show up. The numbers just aren't high enough to get in the top 62)

2. The United Nations - Assaults per capita http://www.nationmaster.com/red/grap...-capita&int=-1 (Argentina doesn't make the list; the U.S. is 6th; again, Argentina is included since it shows up when you run total assaults; it just doesn't have enough to crack the top 57 per capita)

3. The World Statistics Pocket Book - Murder per capita http://data.un.org/CountryProfile.aspx?crName=Argentina (Argentina is at 7.3 per 100,000; U.S. is at 6.1; so Argentina is more murderous according to this source, but not appreciably so)

4. Here are the top 10 U.S. cities if you scroll down in this report, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States My city is almost double that of Argentina at its worst (World Statistics Pocketbook rank) and triple the UN numbers. Nonetheless, I feel quite safe. Admittedly, I'm comparing apples and oranges when the comparison is city data to country data. My point is that even if BA's rate is twice that of the rest of Argentina (and it couldn't be much more given the population ratio of city vs. Country as a whole) then it's no more dangerous than where I live. I've also been (many times) to places that truly are more dangerous, e. G. Sao Paulo, so I'm not just throwing caution to the wind.

My point isn't that there's no danger in BA. I've been there. Parts are dangerous. Not where I was staying as of earlier this month, but other parts. So are parts of Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, New York, Miami and every other major metropolitan area in the U. S. I've lived in several of those cities, as well.

Sure, one can say that all the stats are bogus because Argentina doesn't report properly. But, then we're just left with anecdotes and arguments.

If the stats are meaningful at all, there's one conclusion: Henny Penny.
    Like I said, a smart arse. My figures are straight out of the local headlines and are current to about a month. And for the Federal Capital and Greater Buenos Aires, not Argentina per se.

Argento
    Last edited by Argento; 12-01-08 at 14:44. Reason: typo

Nonsense, quit arguing Stan Da Man. You just got lucky they didn't break in no sooner had you guys left the building. Next time you do this, trusting hoes and probable pimps, you won't run the same luck, you can bet on it.

This is Buenos Aires, not "interior". You can find more trustworthy people in the countryside, but not in Capital Federal. Try not to learn it "the hard way";)

Good recitation of supposed stats. Let's see some sources to back it up. Country crime statistics according to:

1. The United Nations - Murder per capita http://www.nationmaster.com/red/grap...-capita&int=-1 (Argentina doesn't even make the top 62; the U.S. is 24th. Argentina does report. If you search by total rather than per capita, they show up. The numbers just aren't high enough to get in the top 62)

2. The United Nations - Assaults per capita http://www.nationmaster.com/red/grap...-capita&int=-1 (Argentina doesn't make the list; the U.S. is 6th; again, Argentina is included since it shows up when you run total assaults; it just doesn't have enough to crack the top 57 per capita)

3. The World Statistics Pocket Book - Murder per capita http://data.un.org/CountryProfile.aspx?crName=Argentina (Argentina is at 7.3 per 100,000; U.S. is at 6.1; so Argentina is more murderous according to this source, but not appreciably so)

4. Here are the top 10 U.S. cities if you scroll down in this report, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States My city is almost double that of Argentina at its worst (World Statistics Pocketbook rank) and triple the UN numbers. Nonetheless, I feel quite safe. Admittedly, I'm comparing apples and oranges when the comparison is city data to country data. My point is that even if BA's rate is twice that of the rest of Argentina (and it couldn't be much more given the population ratio of city vs. Country as a whole) then it's no more dangerous than where I live. I've also been (many times) to places that truly are more dangerous, e. G. Sao Paulo, so I'm not just throwing caution to the wind.

My point isn't that there's no danger in BA. I've been there. Parts are dangerous. Not where I was staying as of earlier this month, but other parts. So are parts of Detroit, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, New York, Miami and every other major metropolitan area in the U. S. I've lived in several of those cities, as well.

Sure, one can say that all the stats are bogus because Argentina doesn't report properly. But, then we're just left with anecdotes and arguments.

If the stats are meaningful at all, there's one conclusion: Henny Penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Argento
    Chacarita and in ye olden times, la Recoleta are full of smart asses who under-rate the risk of loose security in Buenos Aires. Just because they appear white and European doesn't mean they share a common value system with North Americans. In Greater Buenos Aires, there is an armed robbery every 3 minutes. And these are the reported ones. Multiply it by a minimum of 3 for the real figure. Life is cheap; 10 police a week are shot at, 30 murders during the course of a robbery per week and who knows the reality. But it is plenty. So don't be too smug and make light of what could have happened. Stupid decisions by your pals, that you acquiesce with, can cost you your life here. The history books are writ large with "I didn't know the gun was loaded". It's an 'edgy' place and that is an attraction, but the risks are big as well.

Argento

Yea!

OK all you hennypennies, thanks for your sage advice. The truth is: What's most likely to happen is exactly what did happen -- absolutely nothing.

If you believe that BA is full of mass murderers with guns just looking for a chance to steal a laptop, camera and / or cash, or shoot you in your sleep, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T GO THERE. If he doesn't get your keys, the boogeyman will still find a way to get you. Stay home. Keep your tin hats on. Don't open the door. Whatever you do, don't travel, and NEVER TRUST ANYONE. They're all like that -- them foreigners. If they don't kill you in your sleep, they'll lurk about until you go to dinner and steal everything except your underwear. Since I don't wear underwear, that means they'll have everything I've got.

For those who suggest that giving out the keys wasn't a particularly wise idea, I'm with you. From the original post:

Suggesting that someone could have come in and robbed everything but our underwear just demonstrates that you have a remarkable capacity to point out the abundantly obvious. Plus, if I did wear underwear, I bet they'd steal that, too.

Sorry to have made a mockery of the critic free zone. Truth is, I don't really mind the hazing. I gave a dose of it to my comrade when he gave out the keys, so you can send some back my way if need be. But, you get points for creativity. Snowbird, you're in the lead so far.
    Chacarita and in ye olden times, la Recoleta are full of smart asses who under-rate the risk of loose security in Buenos Aires. Just because they appear white and European doesn't mean they share a common value system with North Americans. In Greater Buenos Aires, there is an armed robbery every 3 minutes. And these are the reported ones. Multiply it by a minimum of 3 for the real figure. Life is cheap; 10 police a week are shot at, 30 murders during the course of a robbery per week and who knows the reality. But it is plenty. So don't be too smug and make light of what could have happened. Stupid decisions by your pals, that you acquiesce with, can cost you your life here. The history books are writ large with "I didn't know the gun was loaded". It's an 'edgy' place and that is an attraction, but the risks are big as well.

Argento
    Last edited by Argento; 11-30-08 at 20:37. Reason: typos

what the fuck!

Keep your tin hats on.
    How did you find out about the hat God damn it?

OK all you hennypennies, thanks for your sage advice. The truth is: What's most likely to happen is exactly what did happen -- absolutely nothing.

If you believe that BA is full of mass murderers with guns just looking for a chance to steal a laptop, camera and / or cash, or shoot you in your sleep, THEN YOU SHOULDN'T GO THERE. If he doesn't get your keys, the boogeyman will still find a way to get you. Stay home. Keep your tin hats on. Don't open the door. Whatever you do, don't travel, and NEVER TRUST ANYONE. They're all like that -- them foreigners. If they don't kill you in your sleep, they'll lurk about until you go to dinner and steal everything except your underwear. Since I don't wear underwear, that means they'll have everything I've got.

For those who suggest that giving out the keys wasn't a particularly wise idea, I'm with you. From the original post:

15 minutes pass and they don't return. 30 minutes pass and they don't return. All the while, we're thinking they'll be back any second. Plus, Amigo #1 has given them the keys to our casa, so they can get back in by themselves. I chewed him out for this, but nothing bad ultimately happened and, as I mentioned, he'd been with Novia #1 several times before.

By this time, Amigo #2 and Novia #2 have re-emerged from the bedroom. Novia #2 is a bit drunk, and she's not a nice drunk. She wants us to kick Chica #3 to the curb, and she's razzing the hell out of Amigo #1 for being so stupid as to give Novia #1 his keys. To be fair, I started this, but this gal took it to a whole new level.
    Suggesting that someone could have come in and robbed everything but our underwear just demonstrates that you have a remarkable capacity to point out the abundantly obvious. Plus, if I did wear underwear, I bet they'd steal that, too.

Sorry to have made a mockery of the critic free zone. Truth is, I don't really mind the hazing. I gave a dose of it to my comrade when he gave out the keys, so you can send some back my way if need be. But, you get points for creativity. Snowbird, you're in the lead so far.

Posting Limitations