This blog is moderated by Jackjack1
    Mongers,

Actually, there is a DECENT, not excellent, sushi restaurant in Buenos Aires; it is called Irifune and it is located on Paraguay between Reconquista and San Martin. It is owned by an actual Japanese guy who is usually onsite behind the sushi bar. They almost always have actual yellowfin tuna (red in color) and their food is quite good, although much more expensive than any other sushi place in Buenos Aires that I have been to. I go to this place about once a week (maybe 20 times in all) so this is no "acid flashback". I believe Irifune is ranked 1 or 2 on the guiaoleo. Com website.

Suerte,

Rock Harders

no my friend

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    Ok my friend, I'll take your word for it, but this sounds like an acid flashback to me!
    I have never drawn anything but a sober breath in La Republica, I promise you it was there, I took Sofi there for dinner.

Juramento why Cabildo is one of the PRIME chica watching spots in the city, if you're really jonesing for raw fish it was worth a quarting search.

Blotter or microdot!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    Before I understood about the appaling lack of Sushi in BsAs I found a servicable Japanese place off of Cramer in Colegiales. It had Tuna, Salmon (of course) Roe, squid, eel, you name it. In addition they had good tempura and terriaki chicken as well. As this was my first try at Sushi in BsAs and I hit a winner I figured there would be an abundance, little did I know.

It is / was (a few years ago, could be closed) between Cabildo and Cramer on either Virrey del Pino or La Pampa perhaps between Ciudad la Paz and Amenabar. It is a small house on the right hand of the street set back in a courtyard which at night has Japanese lanterns. There are rice paper screens and tatami mats inside, the mosas wear kimonos. The eats were good but not cheap, the service impecable.

Like I said, I didn't realize the treasure I had found so I didn't save the location on the hard drive but rather left in ram. I am certain it is between Cabildo and Cramer, I am pretty sure the street runs in the direction from Cramer to Cabildo. I am certain it is not past Jurimento and I am certain it is off of Cramer once it changes from a side street to an Avenue.

I know this sounds like a treasure map to the lost Incan fortune and I wish I could give you better directions but I did a shitload of drugs in the 70s and this is the best I can do.
    Ok my friend, I'll take your word for it, but this sounds like an acid flashback to me!

More than anything

Quote Originally Posted by Jackjack1
    Sorry, newbie to the ongoings in Buenos Aires. Thanks for the response, I should bring some killer hamachi or toro down with me haha. We can have a sushi party with some chicas!

Jack
    Avoid Sushi in Puerto Madero, your choices are salmon with cream cheese, salmon with cream cheese, salmon with cream cheese, and of course for variety salmon with cream cheese.

Ditch the sushi idea and clog your arteries with the fat of a 1000 vacas.

Thank you

Sorry, newbie to the ongoings in Buenos Aires. Thanks for the response, I should bring some killer hamachi or toro down with me haha. We can have a sushi party with some chicas!

Jack

Sorry Brother

Quote Originally Posted by Doggboy
    There are some decent restaurants, but for the umpteen billioneth time-NO! There is no fucking decent sushi in BsAs. No matter what you hear somebody say-the answer is NO! I have researched it A to Z, discussed it with long time japanese folks who are Argentine residents, and-NO-there is no decent sushi in Buenos Aires. There is not sufficient demand for anyone to go to the trouble of acquiring anything other than whitefish and salmon. Periodically you will hear a story that somebody had some tuna in. I personally have never seen real tuna, much less yellowtail, grouper or anything other than the usual fare. If you plan on eating a variety of sushi in BA-forget it!
    Before I understood about the appaling lack of Sushi in BsAs I found a servicable Japanese place off of Cramer in Colegiales. It had Tuna, Salmon (of course) Roe, squid, eel, you name it. In addition they had good tempura and terriaki chicken as well. As this was my first try at Sushi in BsAs and I hit a winner I figured there would be an abundance, little did I know.

It is / was (a few years ago, could be closed) between Cabildo and Cramer on either Virrey del Pino or La Pampa perhaps between Ciudad la Paz and Amenabar. It is a small house on the right hand of the street set back in a courtyard which at night has Japanese lanterns. There are rice paper screens and tatami mats inside, the mosas wear kimonos. The eats were good but not cheap, the service impecable.

Like I said, I didn't realize the treasure I had found so I didn't save the location on the hard drive but rather left in ram. I am certain it is between Cabildo and Cramer, I am pretty sure the street runs in the direction from Cramer to Cabildo. I am certain it is not past Jurimento and I am certain it is off of Cramer once it changes from a side street to an Avenue.

I know this sounds like a treasure map to the lost Incan fortune and I wish I could give you better directions but I did a shitload of drugs in the 70s and this is the best I can do.

Welcome newbies!

I want to make sure that it is clear that the irritable tone in my post below has everything to do with the sushi issue in BsAs, and nothing to do with Jackjack1, who I am sure is a wonderful individual. I also apologize for the lack of appropriate punctuation in the previous, likely run on, sentence.

I am also really, really pissed off at Al Gore and this whole global warming thing and I want to torture Tipper.

Unfortunately-NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackjack1
    Japanese, sushi? I'm planning on a trip there in March or April, any recommendations?

Jack
    There are some decent restaurants, but for the umpteen billioneth time-NO! There is no fucking decent sushi in BsAs. No matter what you hear somebody say-the answer is NO! I have researched it A to Z, discussed it with long time japanese folks who are Argentine residents, and-NO-there is no decent sushi in Buenos Aires. There is not sufficient demand for anyone to go to the trouble of acquiring anything other than whitefish and salmon. Periodically you will hear a story that somebody had some tuna in. I personally have never seen real tuna, much less yellowtail, grouper or anything other than the usual fare. If you plan on eating a variety of sushi in BA-forget it!

Any Good Japanese Restaurants in Recoleta?

Japanese, sushi? I'm planning on a trip there in March or April, any recommendations?

Jack

Posting Limitations