Thread: American Politics during the Obama Presidency

+ Submit Report
Page 6 of 439 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 106 ... LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin

Great marketing

It doesn't matter where you stand on Trump, this shit is funny and a great ad.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/CopaAmer...rc=twsrc%5Etfw

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Individual rights

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger  [View Original Post]
    As apposed to Obama making them via executive orders?

Or perhaps you prefer Queen Hillary to do that for 4 more years?

No matter how bad Trump is could he really be worse that the last 16 years?

Perhaps it's time for a total outsider, if for no other reason than the political elite on both sides are scared of him.

Some of the same scare tactics now being used against Trump were used against FDR and Reagan, yet they become two of our most revered presidents.
    I don't want anyone making the decisions for me.

As I have said before, the only legitimate function of government is the protection of individual rights.

WT69 and his fascist cohorts are against this and , in fact do not even understand they are fascists (or maybe they do).

I am too busy to indulge in this dialog so further comments will be ignored.

BTW, Trump couldn't fire me as I would never work for him.

Don B.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don B For This Post:

Bs

Quote Originally Posted by WorldTravel69  [View Original Post]
    As an executive the Donald would have Fired you.

Your not Presidential.
    As usual, I saw little point in responding to you.

Don B.

Right

I wanted to make a poll, but I can not find the link to it, or did Jackson delete it?

The Poll is "How Many Of You Want Donald Trump Making All Your Life's Decisions for You As President?".
    As apposed to Obama making them via executive orders?

Or perhaps you prefer Queen Hillary to do that for 4 more years?

No matter how bad Trump is could he really be worse that the last 16 years?

Perhaps it's time for a total outsider, if for no other reason than the political elite on both sides are scared of him.

Some of the same scare tactics now being used against Trump were used against FDR and Reagan, yet they become two of our most revered presidents.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Member #4112 For This Post:

Poll

I wanted to make a poll, but I can not find the link to it, or did Jackson delete it?

The Poll is "How Many Of You Want Donald Trump Making All Your Life's Decisions for You As President?".

It took you too long to answer.

As an executive the Donald would have Fired you.

Your not Presidential.

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]
    With an electorate that has been brainwashed in government schools by over 100 years of progressive nonsense,

there is no way I or any other Objectivist would be elected to any office, much less President.

If at some point in time the ideas change, possibly in a 100 years, then we would have a government that would protect individual rights as a primary.

Until then we will continue to elect people such as Obama, Trump, Clinton and Sanders.

Now if I were suddenly to become President, how could I implement the necessary changes?

Look what happened with the Contract with America, which was mild compared with what needs to be done.

In the meantime I will continue to promote Obectivism in the schools, where it will do some good.

Don B.

President

Tell us what you would do if you were the President?
    With an electorate that has been brainwashed in government schools by over 100 years of progressive nonsense,

there is no way I or any other Objectivist would be elected to any office, much less President.

If at some point in time the ideas change, possibly in a 100 years, then we would have a government that would protect individual rights as a primary.

Until then we will continue to elect people such as Obama, Trump, Clinton and Sanders.

Now if I were suddenly to become President, how could I implement the necessary changes?

Look what happened with the Contract with America, which was mild compared with what needs to be done.

In the meantime I will continue to promote Obectivism in the schools, where it will do some good.

Don B.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Don B For This Post:

Good question but critics often have no answers as its so easy to be critical while providing solutions is much more tasking.

What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by DonB  [View Original Post]
    Q. Why did Obama go to a baseball game with Castro after sparing 51 seconds of his valuable time on the Brussels attacks?

A. Because Castro doesn't golf.

Don B.

Golf

Quote Originally Posted by BayBoy  [View Original Post]
    President Obama and First Lady Michelle is in Argentina now talking with Macri and doing the tango. Hope he likes the steak and chope.
    Q. Why did Obama go to a baseball game with Castro after sparing 51 seconds of his valuable time on the Brussels attacks?

A. Because Castro doesn't golf.

Don B.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Don B For This Post:

Pres. Obama

President Obama and First Lady Michelle is in Argentina now talking with Macri and doing the tango. Hope he likes the steak and chope.

Civics lesson

Yes, it has been a long, long time since I was in High School.

But what I learned then was part fiction. Sort of.

The law I believe says something about the Justices not taking party sides on their decisions.

How many fund raisers did Scalia attend and give money to.

He should have been kicked out. As should a few others.

So, If the Republican Senate does not confirm a pick, isn't that Obstruction of Justice?
    And of course we all remember how FDR's attempt/threat to pack the Supreme Court with justices of his liken

caused the court to cave and pass favorably on the Constitutionality of his schemes.

In some circles, that would be called blackmail but then he is a hero to the loony left.

One of those cases was Helvering v Davis in which Cardoza 's opinion found the Social security Act to be Constitutional as it was actuarially sound.

It wasn't and what does that have to do with it anyway?

Don B.

It depends

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    100% I don't think the founders ever envisioned the current state of the body politic in the US. I think if they were alive today they would all probably be in jail for smacking every other person they spoke to across the mouth.

The Republicans aren't going to tie up the appointment because the person is good nor bad, they will tie it up for 11 months (nearly 1/4 of a term) because until Scalia died the appointments were 5/4 Republican appointees. Segue; that always made me scratch my head when neo-cons would talk about "liberal law making" judges.

To be fair and balanced, this administration should try and send up an appointee that is a strict constructionist to replace the strict constructionist that left. A friend of ours says that the court is best when it is a mix of conservative and progressive judges, I agree with that sentiment. I personally think the court should lean towards real, not neo conservatism.
    “We should reverse the presumption of confirmation,” Schumer told the American Constitution Society convention in Washington. “The Supreme Court is dangerously out of balance. We cannot afford to see Justice Stevens replaced by another Roberts, or Justice Ginsburg by another Alito.”.

However, that was back in 2007. Looks like Chucky Schmucky has evolved a little on this topic now that the shoe is on the other foot.

It depends on who is doing the nominating and who is doing the confirming.

Don B.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    Yes. And there is nothing wrong with the Constitution. But I don't think that the Founders ever anticipated politicians who put party before country. And, of course, we should not send such politicians to Congress. But too many of us vote based on the sound bites we hear in 15 second commercials on TV.
    100% I don't think the founders ever envisioned the current state of the body politic in the US. I think if they were alive today they would all probably be in jail for smacking every other person they spoke to across the mouth.

The Republicans aren't going to tie up the appointment because the person is good nor bad, they will tie it up for 11 months (nearly 1/4 of a term) because until Scalia died the appointments were 5/4 Republican appointees. Segue; that always made me scratch my head when neo-cons would talk about "liberal law making" judges.

To be fair and balanced, this administration should try and send up an appointee that is a strict constructionist to replace the strict constructionist that left. A friend of ours says that the court is best when it is a mix of conservative and progressive judges, I agree with that sentiment. I personally think the court should lean towards real, not neo conservatism.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyRulz  [View Original Post]
    It's known as balance of powers.

There are many appointments the Senate has to confirm. It's the way the Founders intended for it to work.
    Yes. And there is nothing wrong with the Constitution. But I don't think that the Founders ever anticipated politicians who put party before country. And, of course, we should not send such politicians to Congress. But too many of us vote based on the sound bites we hear in 15 second commercials on TV.

Posting Limitations