Thread: Race in Argentina

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jeren
    Quote Originally Posted by Prtyr2
    As I was asking him this a guy taps me on the shoulder. It was a guy that is in the same business I am in that I met 1.5 years ago in Mexico City. I immediately remembered he was from Uruguay but did not recall his name. I remember chatting with him in Mexico and saying I had never been to Uruguay but wanted to visit.

What are the odds I run into the ONLY guy I know from Uruguay? Lol.
    The first time I went to BSAS I found one of my best clients in México City's airport, he was going to Santiago with his wife for 3 days and then to BsAs for 4 days, we never told each other about our travel so it was kinda funny coincidence.

A week later when I was returning to México, in the morning I find him in Ezeiza as I entered the first door in the airport, I think if I tried to find him on purpose I wouldn't have been able to locate him.

It is almost my Karma that whenever I travel inside or outside México I MUST find someone I know. How do I explain that? Jung would say sincronicity, I would say WTF? LOL XD

I did a bit of research and it appears that in Uruguay a very tiny percentage of "morenas" work in anything other than service jobs especially domestic servants.

.5% actually have a bit of education while almost 90% work service jobs.

I know it is all ignorance and last night we went to a cool Irish pub, that actually had Dominican Rum! They had both Brugal and Barcelo but I don't drink rum and the novia had a margarita and some champagne. Younger people that did not grow up back in the days when things were even worse are less ignorant about race issues. We had a good time and may go back to that bar.

The funniest part was the taxi driver was asking my client where we were from and how he met us, in a very hushed voice of course. He asked my client if he met os "en la calle". My novia was steaming so to make her laugh when we got out of the cab I asked the guy if there was another taxi company with NICE cars and not "feo". We all had a good laugh.

As I was asking him this a guy taps me on the shoulder. It was a guy that is in the same business I am in that I met 1.5 years ago in Mexico City. I immediately remembered he was from Uruguay but did not recall his name. I remember chatting with him in Mexico and saying I had never been to Uruguay but wanted to visit.

What are the odds I run into the ONLY guy I know from Uruguay? Lol.

You are going to the wrong places, I guess

It's too bad that you have encountered these problems. I am however glad that you have pointed them out for those of us that have not traveled with such beautiful and exotic company and the places to avoid when doing so in the future.

As an enlightened, rightwing, bigoted, racist, sexist, homophobe and a lover of women, from any nationality, race or creed (although I have not sample one of each yet) I can tell you that this problem is of course born of ignorance.

Good luck with the rest of your travels, I hope you move on to a place where she gets the ego-boosting glances (without obscene commentary) and you get the respectful acknowledgment of more intelligent passersby.

Worse in Uruguay

I am here in Montevideo and it seems much worse here. My novia has gotten upset becuase of the looks and the laughter she encountered. Today she went to a salon and asked about getting her hair done. The guy who owned the place who was putting curlers in the hair of some older woman said he was booked all day. There was nobody else waiting but he looked flustered when my novia asked about getting her hair done.

She was actually crying a bit last night. I had to calm her down and explain that THEY have a problem of low self esteem and try to make themselves feel better by making others feel badly.

We are out of here Wednesday and I don't see her ever wanting to come back. Their loss!

You forgot to mention

How that is Obama's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney
    My Dominicans and I have experienced the gross ignorance of the Argies in most restaurants and on the streets. We are very selective on restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleAgeGuy
    Prtyr2,

Fervor gets a lot of Argentina celebrity clientle. Politicians, sports, etc. Plus some of the crusty Argentine old money. I love the food and service there but I would place my dos centavos on the bad vibe as a result of your novias color plus beauty / natural attributes. Perhaps a little jelousy mixed with an immediate reason to discount her in order that the other ladys there can feel on top of the heap.

Spirit Rider says it best and Fervor has the type in spades.

MAG
    Good to know. Maybe I will go back and have her pay for the meal. Like I said not an expensive place. So get over it. Ya snobs;-)

Bad Vibe Fervor

Prtyr2,

Fervor gets a lot of Argentina celebrity clientle. Politicians, sports, etc. Plus some of the crusty Argentine old money. I love the food and service there but I would place my dos centavos on the bad vibe as a result of your novias color plus beauty / natural attributes. Perhaps a little jelousy mixed with an immediate reason to discount her in order that the other ladys there can feel on top of the heap.

Spirit Rider says it best and Fervor has the type in spades.

MAG

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye
    It probably wasn't your dress or her color. She was probably trying to deny her *****-mongering husband a little eye candy on their "date night" (thanks Chairman MaObama)
    You never know. My novia is bombarded with argentinos saying fresh stuff to her as she walks down the street. Lets just say she has a typical curvy dominican body. And I haven't seen many like it in BA. Not that weren't aided by surgery;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Prtyr2
    The female looked at my novia and shook her head no.
    It probably wasn't your dress or her color. She was probably trying to deny her *****-mongering husband a little eye candy on their "date night" (thanks Chairman MaObama)

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Rider
    There is a little truth to what everybody's experience is. This is because the real bigotry in BsAs is about money and social status.

I lived there over a two year period. I lived in Recoleta on Posadas a block and a half from Padio Bullrich. The disdain the elites and middle class shows towards the lower classes is very evident.

Now add race and xenophobia as multiplication factors and you really have your story. They are contemptuous of Black Brazileros, Dominicans, and and any other dark skinned lower classes including Paraguayans, Columbians, and any others of indigenous South American blood.
    I just went to dinner last night on Posadas. My dominican novia and I ate at Fervor. I know many here call their fave pros novia etc but in my case she has never been a pro, semi pro etc etc etc. She is from santiago in the DR and we have been living together for a few months. So far all is going great.

WE have been to Cabanas Las Lilas twice, Spettus twice, Kansas, Hard Rock etc etc etc. We have gone shopping on Florida and bought her nice leather jacket and coat. She dresses better than most of the argentine women I see.

Of course if it were summer she may stick out more because dominicans dress sexier. At Spettus she was wearing a full length leather coat with Fox trim, black dress pants, light pink colored sweater.

We had never been to Fervor and had been planning to make it an early night by eating in walking distance to my hotel. I was thinking Nazarena or similar. She then said she was craving shrimp so we asked the concierge for a recommendation and he mentioned Fervor. I was wearing jeans, a HRC t shirt and a black leather blazer. My novia was wearing jeans, a t shirt and a nice white ski jacket over it all as she is not used to the cold.

She liked the shrimp at fervor, thought the service was great but said she did not like the clientele. It was the first place she felt uncomfortable. I had my back to most of the restaurant but she was facing them and said she received many looks from people that appeared snobby.

At one point a couple came in. Dressed up less than we were. And were offered the table next to us. The female looked at my novia and shook her head no. Lol.

I know we were a bit underdressed but since it was a last minute decision we didn't want to go up to the room and change just to at dinner. WE were not the only people that were dressed a bit on the casual side bt there were certainly many biz men in suits and ties.

The ironic thing is the food was cheap. It was not as expensive as Cabana las Lilas, Spettus, and probably not even Kansas. So the snobbery was a bit funny.

I may take her back another night to see if the looks were because we were dressed casually. Though I am sure I would not have received any looks. Or if it was soley o the color of her skin.

I have even been thinking about spending 2-3 months living in eitehr BA or sao paulo and in BA of course recoletta would be a neighborhood to look at. Not so sure any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeren
    Trying to be annoying, huh? I'm pretty sure I could get laid, for free, which has nothing to do with the discussion.

What about it? I would guess this would mean most white men in Argentina think white women are less desirable then black women.

You must be referring to the prostitutes unless you're saying the majority of the Argentine non-pro chicas are like this?

Thanks for your opinion. I tend to dig for more details then most people once I get thinking about something. It would be nice if someone could explain why there are polar opposite opinions from your own. I tried probing for some details with questions that wouldn't point to my color, but then I went and revealed myself.
    And I see from your post, a great sense of humour.

Argento

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz
    I thought this was about the road race. We now have two threads regarding racisim in Argentina?

Unlike Dogg I am a skinny white guy with a really, really, big black dick. (there was an industrial accident)
    LOL, right, two threads. Where can I get me one of them industrial accidents?

Holy shit

Quote Originally Posted by BadMan
    You would realize how silly, pointless and dead ended this debate really is.

Regards,

BM
    I thought this was about the road race. We now have two threads regarding racisim in Argentina?

Unlike Dogg, I am a skinny white guy with a really, really, big black dick. (there was an industrial accident)

If you could onlly step back for a moment

You would realize how silly, pointless and dead ended this debate really is.

Regards,

BM

If you ain't a big dicked black buck in Buenos Aires you ain't getting no pussy.
    Trying to be annoying, huh? I'm pretty sure I could get laid, for free, which has nothing to do with the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Argento
    How about the other side of the coin.
    What about it? I would guess this would mean most white men in Argentina think white women are less desirable then black women.

the ignorant, bad attitude, cigarette smoking, tattooed white trash that constitute the majority of the local Buenos Aires scrags. The majority could do with a good scrub and an explanation of the finer workings of a toothbrush.
    You must be referring to the prostitutes unless you're saying the majority of the Argentine non-pro chicas are like this?

Not that I believe the basic premises of this current thread
    Thanks for your opinion. I tend to dig for more details then most people once I get thinking about something. It would be nice if someone could explain why there are polar opposite opinions from your own. I tried probing for some details with questions that wouldn't point to my color, but then I went and revealed myself.

Posting Limitations