Thread: Dress code?

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Va Steve
    I got to a very good forum. There are many dirty forums on the Internet. Yesterday I walked a lot and made sure for the sake of interest.

I found the perfect long pants for sweaty summer days.

Nike's Tiger Wood's golf line has very nice dress pants in Dryfit in many colors.

Fantastic in the summer, much better than wool, linen, cotton etc

Dress Code?

Quote Originally Posted by El Jake
    Well said. Haha. I wear my roach-corner-kickers all over Argentina as well.

Re: the post about respect and wearing shorts. In Latin America, not just Argentina, "boys wear shorts and men wear pants." It's just the way it is. Even in tropical countries where wearing pants doesn't make much sense.
    Just back from the restaurant and the concert from the country band 'The South.' Dress code is anything goes. Singlets, trackshoes, mostly jeans and tops. Really just the same as the equivalent venue anywhere in the western world. Where it gets picky here is when the venue has a few pretensions about status and class. No different really than most places in the world. Try fronting a good quality restaurant in Los Angeles, Dallas or New York in sandles and shorts and they will be all 'booked out'. The difference with Argentina is that there are pretentous restaurants in Bs As that are only that. Pretentous! The food is stock standard Argentine food, no better or worse than 99% of the others. They just think they are better than the rest.

Argento

Well said. Haha. I wear my roach-corner-kickers all over Argentina as well.

Re: the post about respect and wearing shorts. In Latin America, not just Argentina, "boys wear shorts and men wear pants." It's just the way it is. Even in tropical countries where wearing pants doesn't make much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre
    Of course I wear austentacious Luchesse ostrich boots with a special order roach killing tip, ripped Levi 501's and a huge State Seal of Texas Belt Buckle!

Was refused entry to the main club house at the track in Palermo (Hipodromo) because of dress code: no Nikes. They were quite hard nosed about it. Could not pay my way around it. Pissed me off big time. Will have to find another avenue to piss my money away. Only good for one f... a month, what is an old fart to do?

Venues: 8
    I've lived here for three years and I wear almost exclusively shorts in the summer time. I've never once been even questioned or looked at overly-strangely wearing shorts in all this time. They're not gym shorts, to be sure, nor cutoffs or that doesn't look nice.

I might think twice about going into a nice restaurant dressed like that, but even local parillas where people can be a little standoffish, I've never had a problem. I've been to many boliches dressed in shorts.

In fact, much of the younger crowd goes around in ratty or old shorts, crappy t-shirts, long hair, unshaven. I've seen guys as old as their mid-thirties dressed like that.

I don't think one will have much problem in most situations, but there are people who will give someone problems about anything.

I can understand clubs and bars but why do shops have to have that silly attitude?

Yes I was wearing shorts but if they paid attention I had a nice shirt on.

Its just goofy sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbster
    For some reason Argentines don't respect people wearing shorts.

Once I was trying to get into Sodoma w 2 American friends, we were all wearings shorts and the door guy didnt want to let us in. He called the Manager who took 1 look at 3 Americans and almost dragged us in LOL.

In nicer parts of town I've gotten dirty looks in shorts, even been cased by security in shopping malls which is pretty hilarious
    I don't think it's uncalled for that you get rejected for bars / clubs etc if you wear shorts (and sportshoes or sandals?)

Money clip / wallet

I also suggest carrying 50-100 pesos in small bills in your pocket that is easy to pull out to pay for taxis, buy gum, etc. While in the street. That way you are not having to pull out a wallet / money clip, and have it available for a snatch and grab.

Make sure you dress DOWN. Nothing flashy.

Don't be flashing a gold rolex w diamonds, Gold rings, an iPhone, pricey sunglasses, gold chains, American flags etc.

There are thugs and pickpockets everywhere and these things will mark you as a target instantly.

Also NEVER wear sandals. I got mugged once in BA and after that experience I wear hiking boots or shoes that I can kick some ass in if necessary. I also bought a big gnarly ring good for punching.

RE your wallet, as soon as you arrive at your destination, remove your license, credit cards, passport etc. Anything that would annoy you if swiped. Keep everything else locked up somewhere.

I usually carry a photocopy of my passport which is good in 90% of places and maybe 1 card and some pesos & USD

For some reason Argentines don't respect people wearing shorts.

Once I was trying to get into Sodoma w 2 American friends, we were all wearings shorts and the door guy didnt want to let us in. He called the Manager who took 1 look at 3 Americans and almost dragged us in LOL.

In nicer parts of town I've gotten dirty looks in shorts, even been cased by security in shopping malls which is pretty hilarious

I like girls / woman in formal office clothes and there are plenty of them in BA especially in Microcentro. I think they are well dressed in general.

What I hear from American and European girls is that the office guys in general are well dressed and have there shoes cleaned a lot, but it's cheap of course in BA to have your shoes shined.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    The standard Argentine look consists of a rumpled collared shirt, shirt tail out, jeans / pants that appear to never have been laundered, and filthy dirty athletic shoes, combined with a disheveled hair and a two day old stubble.

In other words, the Kato Kaelin look.

In my observation, this combination is apparently correct for any event and in any situation, including television appearances, presidential inaugurations, family weddings, etc. So I don't know why it wouldn't be acceptable for upscale restaurants and clubs.

Thanks,

Jackson
    I agree with Mr Jackson.

Most of the Argentine men in BA dress very very shabby.

Women do have a sense of fashion but still not upto the mark.

The educated college going girls do notice men's shoes pretty much.

If you are meeting some up scale w h o r e s, they would notice your clothes as well and not say anything if you are shabbily dressed. However, if you are wearing something smart / slick, they would give you a compliment or two, which is always heartening if coming fom a good looking woman albeit a w h o r e.

I like to refer to it as the "Shaggy" look. As in Shaggy from Scooby Doo. Kato was just trying to emulate Shaggy's swag .

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson
    Regards,

BM.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shaggy-doo.jpg‎  

Administrator

Venues: 398
    The standard Argentine look consists of a rumpled collared shirt, shirt tail out, jeans / pants that appear to never have been laundered, and filthy dirty athletic shoes, combined with a disheveled hair and a two day old stubble.

In my observation, this combination is apparently correct for any event and in any situation, including television appearances, presidential inaugurations, family weddings, etc., so I don't know why it wouldn't be acceptable for upscale restaurants and clubs.

Thanks,

Jackson

Posting Limitations