Thread: Etiquette in Argentina?

+ Submit Report
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
This blog is moderated by Md2000

It's not a USA vs Argentina thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Bob
    The nasty insults are very simular to the way many people talk about people from the USA all over the world--I wonder why? The arrogance, narrowminedness and egoism of many people from the usa will ultimately lead to it's own fall. Hurbris! I was born and raised in the usa and am proud of my country, but I still don't appreciate all the nasty comments by my fellow country men. All Argentines are X. All Portenos are why.

Buenos Aies is not part of the USA. Argentina has it's own culture and history which has value and is due basic respect even it you may not understand it; appreciate it; and are only in BA as a sexual tourist.
    It's not a USA vs Argentina thing. For your information I wasn't born or raised in the USA, but some how or other, my principles seem to align with most Westerners in terms of business, honesty and integrity. And that is the base line. And since I have more than 20 years of experience in the Argentine business world as well as the social experiences associated with living here, I feel as qualified as anyone to tell it as I see it. You might call it hubris, sexual tourist 'wash and wear opinions', ugly Americans overseas, whatever, but I don't give a rat's arse. You are entitled to your opinions even when they are based on wrong presumptions and my guess is, very little business dealings with Portenos. You don't have to appreciate my comments; just prove otherwise.

Argento

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Bob
    The nasty insults are very simular to the way many people talk about people from the usa all over the world--I wonder why? The arrogance, narrowminedness and egoism of many people from the usa will ultimately lead to it's own fall. Hurbris! I was born and raised in the usa and am proud of my country, but I still don't appreciate all the nasty comments by my fellow country men. All Argentines are X. All Portenos are Y.

Buenos Aies is not part of the USA. Argentina has it's own culture and history which has value and is due basic respect even it you may not understand it; appreciate it; and are only in BA as a sexual tourist.
    Thanks for bringing in some lucidity to this thread. Statements about any subject showing deep pride, hate or any other such intense feelings related to others are clearly irrational expressions that most of the time say more about the individual who expresses him or herself that way than about the subject of the statement itself.

All the best

This board has argentine members, show them some respect

The nasty insults are very simular to the way many people talk about people from the usa all over the world--I wonder why? The arrogance, narrowminedness and egoism of many people from the usa will ultimately lead to it's own fall. Hurbris! I was born and raised in the usa and am proud of my country, but I still don't appreciate all the nasty comments by my fellow country men. All Argentines are X. All Portenos are why.

You're kidding aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Md2000
    What are the dos and don't in Argentina? I know in the states theres a big emphasis on giving a person their personal space but I've been to Europe where that doesn't seem to apply as much. Same things goes for approaching females. In America it's acceptable but I went to Dubai and almost got killed (probably a bad idea anyway haha) is it generally acceptable to randomly talk to someone and are there certain limitations to conversation / personal space I should know about?
    Etiquette and Argentina in the same sentence! What a joke! Argentinos, and by that I mean Portenos, (residents of Buenos Aires) are interested in taking your money and some may do it nicely but the majority go about it fairly brutally. Etiquette would not come into the equation except to detract you from their main game. When it suits them and their particular situation, they may stand on their dignity and protest about the uncouth foreigners. You might be fooled the first time but if you are half-smart, they won't get you again.

Argento

Ah good to hear and good advice.

Joe whats so special about the museum on a Wed night
    You will see how Argentines guys are picking up a girl, it's just a lot different then how to do it in the first world or even in big cities in the region that I know (La Paz, Lima, Santiago, Montevideo, Sao Paulo)

I don't really know how to explain it but you can basically just grab the girl and start talking to her. No girl will give you an hard time about it

Ah good to hear and good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hernandez
    Everything is possible.

I would suggest you go to Museum on a Wednesday night, that should give you an idea how things work in BA
    Joe whats so special about the museum on a Wed night

Argentina is a pretty much liberal society (as a general statement, this applies mostly to larger cities, not to small towns as usual) unlike to be reminiscent of a conservative-type that could be more common in the Middle East (excluding some cases) Just do whatever you feel like and see what happens. Nobody will kill you, as there are almost no rules. Some people like to play, some not, but you can always control the flux of events.

What are the dos and don't in Argentina? I know in the states theres a big emphasis on giving a person their personal space but I've been to Europe where that doesn't seem to apply as much. Same things goes for approaching females. In America it's acceptable but I went to Dubai and almost got killed (probably a bad idea anyway haha) is it generally acceptable to randomly talk to someone and are there certain limitations to conversation / personal space I should know about?
    Everything is possible.

I would suggest you go to Museum on a Wednesday night, that should give you an idea how things work in BA.

Etiquette in Argentina?

Posting Limitations