Thread: Cost of Living Index - BA

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This forum thread is moderated by Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by HotRod11  [View Original Post]
    Just confirmed my reservation. Just a little hitch I need to go thru montevideo. I will spend a few days in mvd on the beach just to clear out the cobwebs Then its off to BA. I plan on bringing many new crisp 100 $ for the exchange. Holy crap batman did I say that. OK so I am a little excited about my trip. I know this site is all about pussy and that's for me too but BA has so many things to see and do during the day..Wow I am excited.
    Monte is Buenos Aires lite. Don't be discouraged, good times await in BA.

On my way

Just confirmed my reservation. Just a little hitch I need to go thru montevideo. I will spend a few days in mvd on the beach just to clear out the cobwebs Then its off to BA. I plan on bringing many new crisp 100 $ for the exchange. Holy crap batman did I say that. OK so I am a little excited about my trip. I know this site is all about pussy and that's for me too but BA has so many things to see and do during the day..Wow I am excited.

Wine

Norton malbec is a decent wine. I can remember paying 25 us for a bottle in a cafe. Sems it is time for hotrod to head for Argentina...

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    I seldom have exact figures from which to calculate inflation numbers. But I just made a Taxi Ezeiza reservation and then happened to come across my reservation from a year ago. The numbers are for EZE to Recoleta, one way.

2013:220 pesos or 45 US dollars.

2014 270 pesos or 46 US dollars.

23% inflation in pesos; 2% inflation in dollars. BUT the figures above must be based on the official exchange rate. It would be more interesting to re-work the calculation based on the dolar blue rate but I don't recall what that was last year.

Bob.
    It's worse than you think Bob! They're ripping anyone off paying in USD. Even at the official rate, USD46 is 300 pesos, and as we know, at the current blue rate it's 490 pesos!

At Christmas last year the blue rate was 6.4, so equivalent to 288 pesos, compared to 490 pesos at today's rate = a 70% increase, which I reckon is around about right for the REAL inflation those of us who live here are dealing with!

Norton Malbec Reserva 2010

It is going for 11.99 for 750 ml bottle at my local Costco in California. I think in November you could buy it for under 100 pesos in BA. Anyone on the ground know the price? Drinking wine is cheaper by far in Argentina.

This is all bullshit! The reality is like the price of food. Last year a Pavito (a small turkey about the size of a large chicken (4 kilos)) was 125 pesos. This year it was 328 pesos. Plug those numbers into your calculators and tell me about inflation! If you want more on the ground real facts I will give them to you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandolf50 For This Post:

Buenos Aires Herald

Was 6.50 pesos last Friday.

8 pesos today.

Inflation Numbers

I seldom have exact figures from which to calculate inflation numbers. But I just made a Taxi Ezeiza reservation and then happened to come across my reservation from a year ago. The numbers are for EZE to Recoleta, one way.

2013:220 pesos or 45 US dollars.

2014 270 pesos or 46 US dollars.

23% inflation in pesos; 2% inflation in dollars. BUT the figures above must be based on the official exchange rate. It would be more interesting to re-work the calculation based on the dolar blue rate but I don't recall what that was last year.

Bob.

That s great news, Tejano!

You should have bought out Exedra right next door too, since so many are missing the good ol' times.

Yeah, the list is FULL of SHIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Toymann
    Hola Happy. Not sure when you were stateside last but as far as the cost of meat goes you've got to be having one too many cocktails. I was just in Corrientes and the price of a whole LOMO was 36 pesos. I mean the whole tenderloin! In the US today you will pay at least 60 USD at a discount market ordered by the case (3 whole) Have never bought LOMO in BA but really can't imagine that the cost is in excess of 200 pesos for the whole deal. Just keepin it real. Happy Mongering All. Toymann
    Lomo - About as low as $22.00 pesos per kilo to a high of about $32.00 per kilo.

An excellent lomo from a young calf / cow will weigh about 1.75 Kilos max.

Unfortunately you have to remove the nerves, the head and maybe the tail so you are left with the ¨Chateau Briand.¨

The center cut, or ¨Chateau Briand¨is about 3 porcions or 1 excellent FUCKING steak!

And yes, back in SEX PRISON that cut is every bit of $20.00 dollars a pound at the CostCo store!

Works out to about $44.00 dollars a kilo instead of $8.00!

Oh yeah, speaking of great steaks; Lálliance is on track to re-open in about 10 days!

Goddamn Boys!

Are you ready for some great steaks?

I know I am!

Found some local assholes to invest THEIR money in MY business.

We shall see what happens!

I will be the PR Manager and Party Chairman.

Now , Bring on the CHICAS and the LOMOS!

Hope to see you soon boys!

TL

Agree 100%

Sidney,

"BA has become very expensive!"

This is the first, and despite my increasing appreciation of the libertarian point of view, maybe the last time, that we agree 100%. Apart from the economically stupid low utility prices, it is becoming too expensive. Encangardos will get a 10% increase pretty soon, a good increase for my building's very friendly, but even lazier porter.

Steve

Buenos Aires ranked #266 of 276.

The October 2009 cost-of-living stats from www.xpatulator.com
    show Buenos Aires at #266, in their rankings of 276 major cities around the world. By comparison, Asuncion comes in at #259; Montevideo comes in a #216. And what the heck? Only Brasilia in Brazil is mentioned, and it's at #12! (And my home town ranks #95.

I'd like to know what the income-tax picture is for expats in Argentina, especially retirees who are getting their pensions from offshore. I know that Brazil taxes worldwide income, whereas Uruguay taxes only what you earn in Uruguay. What's the law in Argentina?

Out of date author and info

Quote Originally Posted by Argento
    I guess we, meaning the quoted writer, live on different parallel universes.

Argento.
    The author (Paul Terhorst) has not had a published book in over 20 years so that can explain the discrepancies with his data and the facts.

A guy on the Amazon webpage for Terhorst's book (Cashing in on the American Dream) even pointed out how outdated it was:

"An interesting book, but really only workable if you have $400K--$500K in assets. What's worse, Terhorst assumes you'd be living off the interest generated by investing your assets in CDs earning a currently unheard of 8% interest.

In addition, the book doesn't touch on health insurance. I'm guessing that when he wrote the book almost 15 years ago, health insurance was far more affordable than it is now. Either that, or he was assuming that you could self-insure if your assets were so high.

I'd like to see this book updated for the 21st century--I. E. How to "live off your assets" when interests rates are 2% or less, and how to live on "$50 a day" (Terhorst's mantra) while still securing health care."

If you read the author's homepage you can read that he is currently living 60 kms outside of Buenos Aires until March 2010. He even writes that his one book he wrote is out of print, but he still trying to sell it like it is worth anything.

Why does he not update his book, especially with today's economic woes? I think we know the reason why.

Cornoir

I'm really glad you guys weighed in on this as the "current" info. from International Living, a. k. a. Live and Invest Overseas, seems rather dubious at best.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGoLucky
    http://www.liveandinvestoverseas.com...n-buenos-aires

"Argentina is booming," writes Intrepid Correspondent Paul Terhorst from his part-time home outside Buenos Aires, "in spite of government efforts to kill off the private sector. Example: A friend is doing a high-end condo project in Uruguay. He put the units on the market two weeks ago and has been selling one a day. These are million-dollar apartments. He just raised the prices 15% , and he figures he'll have all units sold by Christmas. All to Argentine purchasers.

"For Vicki and me, Buenos Aires is very expensive. If you go to a supermarket here and compare the prices of meat and chicken, carrots and onions, bread and eggs, costs are more expensive than in the United States or Europe. The South of France would be more affordable right now.

"Having said that, we're having a very good time. For some reason the services we use--taxis, car hires, take-out restaurants, gardeners, buses, maids, meat markets, wineries, hotels--have improved.

"We used to have trouble getting cars to pick us up, standing in long lines, long waits in general. Now we just jump in and go. I don't have an explanation yet.

"The best I can come up with is that we left during an uncontrolled boom that put tremendous demand on services. After the recession, which hit here only very slightly, and after a year or two of more normal economic expansion, day-to-day life has returned to routine."
    The prices for food in Bs As are a fraction of European and US. Top chicken here is U$1.50 a kilo or.68c lb. New York cut steak U$3 lb. I don't know where you shop but I live in one of the most expensive suburbs and these are the prices. Almost certainly cheaper in the poorer suburbs. In fact out of the 150 major world cities, Bs As comes in about 123 as the cheapest city for an expatriate to live. I guess we, meaning the quoted writer, live on different parallel universes.

Argento.

Posting Limitations