This blog is moderated by Article22

Storage questiion

Most landlords I have dealt with in BA are reluctant to get into storage. You might consider the South American Explorer's Club, which has a membership fee of about 150 pesos a year and they will store baggage for you. I have used them several times.

ApartmentsBA

My experience with Apartments BA has been very good. I rented Jacksons place on Callao and liked it very much (unfortunately it and his other place was unavailable the next two times I came in) I took a place on Junin and Vicente Lopez that was super nice (and super expensive but worth it)

The guy that owns ApartmentsBA took care of me personally each time I came to BA (now three total rentals with his firm) He worked directly with my assistant and everything about the experience was professional and aboveboard. His staff were punctual and willing to work with me when I had some scheduling issues. I don't work for them but would recommend and will use them again in the future.

I would take either of Jacksons places in a second too but my travel schedule to BA is usually on a relatively short notice basis so I typically lose out on his places to better planners than I. He is great to work with as well. I have some particularly good memories of his Callao location with Jasmine y Layla on a couple of nights. But thats another story. I'm looking forward to to his newest endeavor "The Mansion?"

Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by Member #3318; 02-15-10 at 03:49. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Article22
    Cheers for that info Exon, I have asked for a price from Renting BA for the dates and hope they get back to me tomorrow.

Not heard anything about Jackson's new pad, but is it isn't ready until April then that will be cutting it a little fine! Any delays and we are in trouble.

Next time.

Nigel.
    And now for the counterpoint.

Article 22, it depends on what you want. I've been to BA a dozen times and rented apartments each time. I've rented from one person who advertises on this board, and I tried to rent from another one.

The one I rented from had apartments that were very much like the chica websites -- heavily photoshopped and glossed over. Upon arriving at the place, it turned out many of the supposed "features" didn't exist.

The second person I tried to rent from canceled the reservation at the last minute even after taking my security deposit. He was nice enough about it. He explained that the existing tenant who was due to leave before I arrived offered to pay him more money, so he canceled my reservation. He did offer to find me a new place and, ultimately, refunded my deposit. But, the real point was: You don't take a security deposit and then cancel the deal because someone offers you more money.

I've never posted criticisms of these two "services" because of what happens when you do that. You get flamed to hell by the folks who own these places. Don't take my word for it. Research the apartments section of the board a bit and you'll see what I mean. The apartment lessors here get very defensive when anyone says anything negative about their experiences at their places.

Now, on to some recommendations. First off, realize what you're getting with Exon's opinion. He is the cheapest *!*&%$ on the board -- and I mean that in the best way possible. He provides excellent commentary on what price he thinks should be paid for a service, whether that's chicas, apartments, taxis or dinners. He legitimately believes that apartmentsba is too expensive. If price is your first consideration, then Exon is right.

I've rented from ApartmentsBA three times over the past two years. The experience has been flawless each time. I've spoken to the owner and know that the trash a lot of folks post about him here is just jealousy. He's got good people working for him and he rents nice places. I've also rented from one of his "franchisees" in Rio De Janeiro who runs apartmentsrio. He's a good guy, too. So, I doubt Exon knows much of what he's talking about when he claims that the ApartmentsBA guy is trying to rip off folks with franchises. Usually, it's third-hand innuendo and gossip that people go on, rather than direct experience. If Exon tried to buy a franchise or rented from one of the franchisees, then I'll stand corrected.

Does ApartmentsBA charge a "fair" price? For me, the answer is "yes" because I'm not looking to save a few bucks. I don't get down there that much, so I'd rather spend a few bucks more to ensure that I have great accommodations. Others are looking to save money, and that's perfectly understandable in today's economy, so ApartmentsBA isn't for them. Could you have a bad experience renting from ApartmentsBA? Yep, I'm sure you could. But, it's like Madaho's which you can also read about on the board. Many here hate the place because the chica prices are so high. Few here would debate the idea that Madaho's is the place where you can find the largest selection of beautiful chicas. So, their gripe is about price. You have to keep it in context. Same with your choice of who to rent an apartment from.

Here are two other rental places of which you may not be aware. Each of these is probably a bit less expensive than ApartmentsBA, but more expensive than others that are recommended here. I've rented from each of these places 3-4 times each and never had a bad stay:

http://www.internationalnest.com/

http://www.buenosaireshousing.com.ar...enos_aires.htm

Lastly, and depending on what you're up for while in B_A_, you might want to look in the Palermo area. It's not as cosmopolitan as the Recoleta area, but I think it has better "tourist" restaurants and a friendlier feel, though much more dogshit on the sidewalks. The locals undoubtedly know better, but Palermo is pretty nice this time of year. It's about a 25 peso taxi ride to Recoleta (less if you're Exon)_, and a bit more to Microcentro. During the day, it's a great place to be. But, if you're going to be spending most of your days in the Microcentro and / or Recoleta-area privados, it may not make sense.

And, in a vain attempt to stave off attack from the budget mongers, let me add once again: If price is your primary concern, then go with Exon's advice. If you're more interested in quality of stay and quality of digs, then I would not be looking for the best "deal" of an apartment. The laws of supply and demand are suspended in many parts of Argentina. In my experience, however, that isn't true of the apartment rental market. You get what you pay for. Let us know how you fare when all is said and done.

Good luck.

Storage

While Article22 has generated interest in this thread about apartments, does anyone know of a landlord which will store a few items for a tenant from year to year? This topic comes up from time to time and I don't recall ever seeing a solution.

Thanks,

Bob

Cheers for that info Exon, I have asked for a price from Renting BA for the dates and hope they get back to me tomorrow.

Not heard anything about Jackson's new pad, but is it isn't ready until April then that will be cutting it a little fine! Any delays and we are in trouble.

Next time,

Nigel

Retired Member

One of the reasons why I prefer an apartment to a hotel room is that you can get to meet up somewhere which isnt a bar / restaurant or other public place. And chill.

Found one of the places I mentioned earlier, advertised here:

http://www.rentingba.com/furnished-a...oldt_Loft_.htm

It is $100 cheaper then BA Habitat which is a start

Has anyone got anything bad / good to say about Renting BA?

Had a look on the forums and only 2 posts on them, both ok.

Cheers,

Nigel.
    Article22,

Thats BadMan's, (Aka Robert) apartment web site whom I mentioned just below. You can deal with him and he's not going to "Fuck You".

You'll notice he works with Jackson, heres the Callao apartment on both Jackson's & BadMan's web sites

http://www.rentingba.com/apartments-...t/Recoleta.htm

Exon

One of the reasons why I prefer an apartment to a hotel room is that you can get to meet up somewhere which isnt a bar / restaurant or other public place. And chill.

Found one of the places I mentioned earlier, advertised here:

http://www.rentingba.com/furnished-a...oldt_Loft_.htm

It is $100 cheaper then BA Habitat which is a start

Has anyone got anything bad / good to say about Renting BA?

Had a look on the forums and only 2 posts on them, both ok.

Cheers,

Nigel

Retired Member

Article22

Badman has a couple of fairly new apartments 1/2 a block from Madaho's, (some of the most expensive mongering in the city)

There right across the hall from each other, like separte hotel rooms, and I think they rent of $350 a week, 1/2 of what your paying.

You might check with him.

Exon

If not this would be my choice

http://www.bytargentina.com/re/propv..._sal=&ano_sal=

But I'd "haggle" with them, sent em a e-mail and offer a grand a week, I think they'll go for it

No way are we sharing a bedroom so a 1 bed is out of the question!
    If a shared bedroom is out of the question because of your anticipated sexual activities, note that you do not have to have your encounters at your apartment / hotel. There are "short time" hotels and brothels (privados)

(I've sent you a PM too about apartments.)

Good Luck,

Bob

I agree with you all that all of the apartments are expensive but I don't see much alternative.

Here are a few others I found:

$1.1k a week.

http://www.buenosaireshousing.com.ar...m/uruguay0.htm

$2.1k a week
    http://www.buenosaireshabitat.com/apartment_n366.html

$1.2k a week
    http://www.bytargentina.com/re/propv..._sal=&ano_sal=

For a decent 2 bed apartment in BA, $1.2k - $2k seems to be the going rate depending on size and location...

Which one of the above agencies would any of you trust?

Exon123, we are fixed on the date as we have booked the flights, and when I checked Jackson only had the 1 apartment with 2 beds and that wasn't free...

No way are we sharing a bedroom so a 1 bed is out of the question!

Jaimito, why is Howard Johnson not rated as a decent hotel?

It looks ok in the pictures and earned a top review at TA...

http://www.booking.com/hotel/ar/howa...-recoleta.html

What a minefield this could turn into:-)

Cheers,

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by Captain
    I did not realize their are two "Jacksons".
    Saint is not a Jackson that I'm aware of.

$1500 a week might be worth it if it had a couple of cute chicas that came with it. Otherwise, just pass.

Some people believe it you pay a lot, you will get a substantially better place. Saint is a big believer is selling image, and charging 2 or 3x more for it than others. You can search for reports online under his real name. I believe it's still posted on here somewhere, or I'm sure another member will help you out with it.

For someone who supposedly likes boutique hotels, I don't know why someone would choose Howard Johnson's in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    Article22,

Dogg & I have absolutely no reason to lie to you.

The real purpose of this forum is for people just like yourself. It provides you with information so you'll hit the ground running when you get to Buenos Aires.

Trust me when I say the "Captain" has mixed up Jackson with the "Saint". In fact I'd bet the Captain has never met the "Saint", I have, as a good many of my fellow Mongers. Most of the people I know that have done business with him have major complaints in which Saint has defrauded them in some way or another. Saints "market" is for people that just don't know, there 1,000's of them, We do.

Moreover, I fully expect there will be other posts on this threat in the next day or so that will agree with Doggboy and myself.

Exon.

P. S. Jacksons new mansion will be open for business by April with rooms and private baths in the neighbor hood of $60 dollars per night. My suggestion is to wait a month and see the pictures and read the reports before you commit to anything
    Exon is Correct.

It was a case of mixed identities. I meant that go ahead and rent from the Mr Jackson I know. That is the moderator of this forum.

I did not realize their are two "Jacksons".

Article 22, disregard my earlier post!

You should not be paying more than 1000~1700 us$/ A MONTH for a very decent fully furnished 1 bedroom apartment accommodating 2 adults in Recoleta, depending on how hard you search.

Send a email to "Jackson" of this forum and he should have something decent for you.

Apologies to all for the confusion caused by my incorrect post!

Nigel-$1,500US is a helluva lot of money to spend for digs in Buenos Aires for a week. That said, the apartment you have selected is in a very safe, ritzy part of town and you won't have any problem finding whatever you want. You won't need a taxi. If you wanted to branch out a bit, yes, you would need a taxi, but for the short time you are going to be here Recoleta has it all.

If you are used to 5 star hotels, etc. Then what the hell, fork over the money. Do us a favor and post back after it's all over with your opinion about the apartment and Recoleta.

Retired Member

Article22,

Dogg & I have absolutely no reason to lie to you.

The real purpose of this forum is for people just like yourself. It provides you with information so you'll hit the ground running when you get to Buenos Aires.

Trust me when I say the "Captain" has mixed up Jackson with the "Saint". In fact I'd bet the Captain has never met the "Saint", I have, as a good many of my fellow Mongers. Most of the people I know that have done business with him have major complaints in which Saint has defrauded them in some way or another. Saints "market" is for people that just don't know, there 1,000's of them, We do.

Moreover, I fully expect there will be other posts on this thread in the next day or so that will agree with Doggboy and myself.

Exon

P.S. Jacksons new mansion will be open for business by April with rooms and private baths in the neighbor hood of $60 dollars per night. My suggestion is to wait a month and see the pictures and read the reports before you commit to anything

Posting Limitations