This blog is moderated by AllIWantIsLove

I didn't say I wouldn't enjoy them

Quote Originally Posted by Argento
    even biggish clams need attention.
    Just that the a lot of the market and my own tastes have a declining marginal utility for the excess clamage. Above some point, which point is a moving target (movement directly proportional to number of drinks consumed)

You crack me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye
    That type of clam ideally runs about US$0.45/ lbs or AR$1.75/ lbs (per hour) Funny thing about the pricing per clam / hr (at least in my book) at some point, the additional pounds actually bring down the price I am willing to pay.

That type of clam is really good prepared "be ōzu" too (one of my favorites)
    You crack me up. Some of the big DR clams are closer to U$0.25/ lbs. If Jax had his way they would be a sub species and not a preferred type on the menu. But you have got to provide for all tastes and even biggish clams need attention.

Argento

Price per pound

I am on the ignorant side of knowledge as far as sushi is concerned. I had a commercial fishing upbringing and did the sashimi fish handling course some 25 years back. Fish is always my first food of choice. China town does offer a good range of shellfish most days but they are indifferently handled. As an example I bought full shelled scallops last week for 21 pesos the kilo which after shucking and cleaning equates to about 400gms of roe-on scallop or for US denizens, about U$7 a lb. Quality just OK but very cheap if you are self-catering. Clams, crab, green shrimp and maybe half a dozen other 'mariscos' are available.

And dumb-arse me, I was just reading my post when I realised what 'hi ge wo hayashi ta hamaguri' refers to. And I was being serious. You got me! Pretty common type of clam here though but getting expensive.

Argento
    That type of clam ideally runs about US$0.45/ lbs or AR$1.75/ lbs (per hour) Funny thing about the pricing per clam / hr (at least in my book) at some point, the additional pounds actually bring down the price I am willing to pay.

That type of clam is really good prepared "be ōzu" too (one of my favorites)
    Last edited by Wild Walleye; 03-11-10 at 15:04. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye
    I am not sure into which of Argento's categories I fall, but I have had fish and in particular sushi on a couple of occasions, in Bs As.

From my experiences, I have learned that Japanese-to-American translations are not quite the same Japanese-to-Argentinian Castellano. For instance, many Japanese words translate into a single Argie / Cast word. While ika, toro, sake (the salmon not the rice wine) unagi, uni, aji and tako translate into seven different sea creatures when translated to English, they all translate to "salmon" in Argie / Cast.

As for shellfish, the only type of shellfish you should consume in Bs As is "hi ge wo hayashi ta hamaguri" (it is a special type of clam) However, you won't typically find this on the menu in Japanese restaurants (at least the ones in Bs As) Here is a link to the best resource for find this rare treat (in Bs As): www.argentinaprivate.com
    I am on the ignorant side of knowledge as far as sushi is concerned. I had a commercial fishing upbringing and did the sashimi fish handling course some 25 years back. Fish is always my first food of choice. China town does offer a good range of shellfish most days but they are indifferently handled. As an example I bought full shelled scallops last week for 21 pesos the kilo which after shucking and cleaning equates to about 400gms of roe-on scallop or for US denizens, about U$7 a lb. Quality just OK but very cheap if you are self-catering. Clams, crab, green shrimp and maybe half a dozen other 'mariscos' are available.
    And dumb-arse me, I was just reading my post when I realised what 'hi ge wo hayashi ta hamaguri' refers to. And I was being serious. You got me! Pretty common type of clam here though but getting expensive.

Argento

Fish (particularly sushi) in Bs As

Never, ever try fish in Argentine restaurants. There are a few Peruvian restaurants that are just OK. Main reason is the raw product. Go into a few pescaderias and you will see why immediately. The fish is half rotten when it is offered for sale. This despite the fact that if you shop in China Town, (Belgrano) you can buy first class fish. I have noticed a few restaurateurs are now buying fish there, one from La Boca, but they are few and far between. The culture and preference is for beef. Fish is for gays and gals. Argento
    I am not sure into which of Argento's categories I fall, but I have had fish and in particular sushi on a couple of occasions, in Bs As.

From my experiences, I have learned that Japanese-to-American translations are not quite the same Japanese-to-Argentinian Castellano. For instance, many Japanese words translate into a single Argie / Cast word. While ika, toro, sake (the salmon not the rice wine) unagi, uni, aji and tako translate into seven different sea creatures when translated to English, they all translate to "salmon" in Argie / Cast.

As for shellfish, the only type of shellfish you should consume in Bs As is "hi ge wo hayashi ta hamaguri" (it is a special type of clam) However, you won't typically find this on the menu in Japanese restaurants (at least the ones in Bs As) Here is a link to the best resource for find this rare treat (in Bs As): www.argentinaprivate.com

Read the posts!

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove
    La Flora, Uriburu 1488, 4806-9247 & 4807-6307

My meal was disappointing. Maybe because I chose the salmon ($52 pesos! Which was the only fish on the menu. Because it's a nice place I expected the salmon to be fresh, but it obviously was not. My bad maybe for not asking, but I didn't think such a nice place would offer any fish which was not fresh.

I ordered a side of puré de batatas (mashed sweet potatoes) and they were pretty much flavorless.

When the waiter cleared the used dishes I sort of expected him to ask if I wanted dessert. He didn't, but maybe that's the custom here. It took a while to get his attention to ask to see a menu. Then, when I had decided, I laid the menu down thinking that would signal the waiter that I had made a decision and was ready to order. But he didn't return to pick up the menu and take my dessert order until I was finally able to catch his eye. The chocolate mousse that I ordered was pretty good.

I normally don't pay much attention to the receipt beyond looking at the total damage. But I noticed that when the waiter brought my change the receipt had disappeared. Maybe that's custom here, I think I've noticed it in other restaurants, but I find it sort of annoying.

At the outset I was offered a glass of champagne which was supposed to be free. But since I didn't study the receipt before it disappeared I can't verify that. Total damage for the (free) glass of champagne, salmon, side dish, one glass of wine, coffee, and the mousse was $106 pesos.

I won't repeat but I suspect that the other dishes are much better than the salmon I had. Otherwise the place would be out of business. Most tables were occupied but not all.

Bob
    Never, ever try fish in Argentine restaurants. There are a few Peruvian restaurants that are just OK. Main reason is the raw product. Go into a few pescaderias and you will see why immediately. The fish is half rotten when it is offered for sale. This despite the fact that if you shop in China Town, (Belgrano) you can buy first class fish. I have noticed a few restaurateurs are now buying fish there, one from La Boca, but they are few and far between. The culture and preference is for beef. Fish is for gays and gals.

Argento

La Flora, Uriburu 1488, 4806-9247 & amp; 4807-6307

La Flora, Uriburu 1488, 4806-9247 & 4807-6307

Their business card gives this web address but it does not work for me:

www.lafloraresto.com.ar

I passed this place the other day and thought it looked very nice and decided it try it.

Definitely a nice place physically. There is more space between tables than in most places and it is less noisy.

My meal was disappointing. Maybe because I chose the salmon ($52 pesos! Which was the only fish on the menu. Because it's a nice place I expected the salmon to be fresh, but it obviously was not. My bad maybe for not asking, but I didn't think such a nice place would offer any fish which was not fresh.

I ordered a side of puré de batatas (mashed sweet potatoes) and they were pretty much flavorless.

When the waiter cleared the used dishes I sort of expected him to ask if I wanted dessert. He didn't, but maybe that's the custom here. It took a while to get his attention to ask to see a menu. Then, when I had decided, I laid the menu down thinking that would signal the waiter that I had made a decision and was ready to order. But he didn't return to pick up the menu and take my dessert order until I was finally able to catch his eye. The chocolate mousse that I ordered was pretty good.

I normally don't pay much attention to the receipt beyond looking at the total damage. But I noticed that when the waiter brought my change the receipt had disappeared. Maybe that's custom here, I think I've noticed it in other restaurants, but I find it sort of annoying.

At the outset I was offered a glass of champagne which was supposed to be free. But since I didn't study the receipt before it disappeared I can't verify that. Total damage for the (free) glass of champagne, salmon, side dish, one glass of wine, coffee, and the mousse was $106 pesos.

I won't repeat but I suspect that the other dishes are much better than the salmon I had. Otherwise the place would be out of business. Most tables were occupied but not all.

Bob

Posting Limitations