Thread: 2002-2004 WSG Reports

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson
    my two-cents worth on hotels......Kempenski hotels are chica friendly, at least the Park Chateau. I don't remember a pool at any of these hotels...but I was not there during the summer so I was not looking. Cristoforo Columbo is a decent hotel in a very good location, near Plaza Italia....I have wondered if it is chica friendly? Stayed at the Claridge one time, but was not very happy...room needed updating and there were fleas in my sheets...Dazzler is the choice for bargain digs....and very chica friendly....

A few years ago I stayed at Hotel Cristoforo Colombo in Palermo. It's in a nice neighborhood and it's a 3 minute cab ride from Nuevo Estilo Boliche in Belgrano and a 10 minute cab ride to Recoleta and Madahos and all the other great mongering spots. I saw yesterday on travelocity.com that you can get a single for about U$30 and doubles for about U$100 and the doubles are suites with separate bedroom, living room, dining room and kitchen. The lobby is a huge, friendly type lobby with lots of places to lounge and the staff is very nice and friendly and English speaking. I remember that the rooms weren't huge but they were very comfortable and they have a huge, circular outdoor swimming pool. This place is around the corner from the American Embassador's house and is great if you're looking for someplace off the "beaten path". DownBA

Hotel Claridge (center) has good pool and is chica friendly. Mayra made reservation for me.

I was looking over Mayra's website and noticed that there are 3 Kempinski Hotels listed that have outdoor pools and seem to be reasonably priced. They are called Park Chateau Kempinski Hotel ($67) and Park Plaza Kempinski Hotel ($86) which are both located in Recoleta, and Park Elegance Kempinski Hotel ($52) which is located in Barrio Norte.

I will be arriving in Buenos Aires around December 7th.

Does anyone know if these hotels are chica friendly, in a good neighborhood for mongering, and if the outdoor swimming pools will be open by the 7th of December?

Thanks for your help.

DfB

Lurker,

You should be able to find plenty about the Dazzler. Just do a Forum Search. Saw on argentinago.com a little while ago that the price was something like 37US for 2 people. A little small, the rooms, but overall pretty good value. They were Chica friendly when I stayed there in Mar.

TnH: I was merely advising you to reflect a little. You seem to be making a habit on the board of making an ass of yourself and pissing off a lot of people. Good luck in BsAs, when you make it that is.

My last post on this.

Steve C, I tried to dumb down my contribution but you really need some clues. Hotels are all about location location location - MAP.

If you try to see before you criticize, and follow the link, you will be confronted by a large high resolution pedestrian map of BA centered at Madahos complete with street names and numbers. If you don't get the hint, this is an interactive map generated by a website way better than yahoo maps, map quest and map blast or the like. It may surprise you that the site is GLOBAL. The same goes for most European countries, SAO PAULO, Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur. Even for Bangkok you have a lower resolution route map - good if you ever drive into and out of BKK.

And since a decent street map is necessary for the BA taxi drivers as recommended, and that many have asked for online downloadable maps before, I tried to go one step further than Jackon by plotting the clubs in Recoleta on one map. But then it's not much since a few are very close to Madahos. I suggest for the very least you use one map for boliches and another map for all other things. It would be em brassing when you ask for directions on the street if you have only one map on which you mark everything.

If you looked further you can see other online maps generated by another website. This time this site is local to BA and complete with BA knowledge. You can bring out all the hotels around your point of interest, or all the supermarkets, which is useful for a long apartment stay. You have banks and all that but no boliches.

I forget to add that some of the 'blabbing' is really the feedback to the performance of the ticket consolidation agent that I recommended earlier. The instant you press the button is the instant you got the ticket confirmed. There's no hassle to use as compared to other bargain sites. The price is always good if you compare orange with orange. Super if you try to buy 3 or 4 singles for your multi-city tour.
    Last edited by James D 2004; 11-17-03 at 21:43.

Hi All,

A couple weeks ago I posted requesting any feedback on the Americas Towers (AT) hotel. I did not end up staying there, I was at the Dazzler instead. However, AT is one block away from the Dazzler so folks looking for mongering info in that area need only reference reports on the Dazzler. I did spend some time in AT for business and it seemed nice, with an english speaking staff and good food. I cannot say how chica friendly they are though, nor anything about their rates.

Sorry I'm not more help!

Lurk

SteveC, thanks for pointing the way to TNH - hopefully he will get the hint. While he is not of Nibuesque proportions, he might get that way if not advised.

The words "Quality over Quantity" are recalled from an earlier era in the forum's history.

Cheers to all (including Beaujolais afficionados).

TallnHandsome: "Jack, go easy on Nibu, Dickhead and the like."
    I think Dickhead can look after himself, (I'm returning in March 2004 for 6 months so I hope we can meet up for a beer or three sometime), but I don't think Jack was referring to Dickhead etc. A clue: maybe think about your own posts.

Jack, go easy on Nibu, Dickhead and the like. You must be frustrated about the euro or the weather or both. Nothing beats the weather better than body warmth. But if it cost too much euro for an extra warm body for the long night, a drink will help to raise your own temperature. Now down here is perfect 73 F, but when the thunderstorm comes anytime or the temperature goes up to the 80's, we'll lock ourselves up in an air cond room and have a bottle of cool import Beaujolais. Cheers!

Jack, I'll drink to that...

It looks like the Argentina boards, which are normally of good quality, are being subject to self indulgent gibberish.

I'm not happy nor sad to say that my consolidation agent, as always, didn't screw up and I'll be on United 855. I feel a little bit like a dick head, signing up for the first one on the top ten list without looking at the state department's small prints. Anyway here are maps of the bowling alleys, hotels and supermarkets. Why are they called bowling alleys?

www.geocities.com/tallnhandsom2000

I can see that the teorķa of relatividad general is easily misunderstood. I was saying that there must be "decent" hotels that I'm happy with and the chica is happy with at 1/3 of the chica price.

Let's assume that 5* is an absolute quality measure, the BA price is dirt cheap to many Europeans, compared to the 5* in their own countries. Good for you if you are on a budget, which can be of any numerical value as I understand it.

BTW, how about Aristo, Apart Recoleta, LION D'OR, or ELEGANCE PARK PLAZA ? There's no way you can get mugged if you run to Madaho, right?

Posting Limitations