Thread: 2002-2004 WSG Reports

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
This blog is moderated by Jackson

Changes!!!

Hi, Guys:

Because of the changes that Jackson is doing with the forum and the software, I am still having problems to receive and send emails from my normal email address as it is located in the same server. It will need some more days until everything is right again so meanwhile please, send me your emails to ROXANAWSG@HOTMAIL.COM

I couldn't receive any email since last Sunday, so please, send them again to this subsidiary address, and as usual I will answer them and help you with your trip to Argentina.

Kisses, Roxana

One more thing about Hotel Bel Air

Receptionist will call you before they would allow the chica to come up to your room. If you walk in with a chica, there is no need to check her in at the front desk.

WW

Hotel Bel Air

I stayed there in March and liked it a lot mostly because it was an easy 10 minute walk to 1707 SF. Great when you have the urge for a quickie and you don't have to wonder who you're going to call. Other pros: all rooms have safe for your valuables, staff speaks excellent English, the breakfast spread in the basement is impressive and not to be missed. It's there until 10:30AM and included in the room rate. Location is excellent and safe, close to shopping on Santa Fe and about a 3-5 peso cab ride to Recoleta or Triangle clubs. Cons: they've raised the rates for all rooms since I've been there. Only showers, no bathtubs as I recall. Go for the Superior Double.

WW

Does anyone know anything about Hotel Bel Air? I am going to be down in BA first week of December with a group and they booked me in there. Wondering if anyone is familiar with it and it's policies.

Thanks!

I stayed at the Kempsinki Park Chateau in Recoletta - friendly staff but I do not recall exactly how much I paid per night but it was reasonable. Probably $70 per night. Also girl friendly. Hope it still is. Anyone stayed there recently ?

Etoile hotel:

Stayed 2 nites in a diplomatic suite..smelled like crap, awful carpet, needed paint badly and all in all a 2 star hotel. stay away.

Loi suites recoleta...if you have the money to spend, this is the place in recoleta. Beautiful rooms, great staff and quiet. Steep at 110 us a nite.

Apartments in Recoleta are plentiful and spent most of my 3 weeks in one. Just plan in advance and you can find one for 30-50 dollars us a night.

My Hotels

Cheap

Victory Hotel:

Maipu entre Paraguay y Cordoba. I don't know the phone or address but it's there. You can't miss it. it's the one on the right closer to Paraguay than Cordoba with the Big Assed sign running down the front of the building that says

V
    I
    C
    T
    O
    R
    Y

It's about $20.00 a night and Peter the very old guy on the desk at night can get you chicas for 90 to 110 pesos. They will never be on the cover of Cosmo but for 100 pesos in room service what can you expect. I have also discovered a lower starting price from the chicas at Madahos and in the triangle when I stay there. One of the first questions they ask is what hotel are you staying in. If your at the Alvear Palace then the price goes up, when you stay at a backpackers hotel the price seems to come down a bit.

The rooms are VERY small but clean with a private bathroom. being small the mirror over the dresser is right next to the bed so that's kinda fun. The area is a bit dodgy but I sort of like that. All in all it's tough to beat for the price.

A little more

Loi Suites Esmeralda:

A small chain in BsAs they have the nice hotel around the corner from Newport. This one is on Marcelo T de Alvear between Suipacha and Esmeralda. Why they don't call it Loi Suites Marcelo T de Alvear is beyond me because it's not on Esmeralda.

The rooms are a bit bigger, the lobby a bit nicer. It's major advantage is it's about 40 fucking steps from the Triangle. Ok maybe 100 steps but it's close. I paid $35.00USD a night but told them I worked for an airline and think I got a discount, I'm not sure. They never asked for proof of employment so perhaps not.

It's a decent hotel, not to loud ok beds and a great price, breakfast is included.

A little bit more

Suites Mayflower:

Paraná 720 a small boutique hotel with only about 40 rooms. It's in the middle of San Nicolas between Viamonte and Cordoba near nothing but close to everything. The majority of my visits I stayed here and was very happy. They ask for $60.00 USD but I paid $40.00 (again the airline discount but no proof required) I love this hotel for a number of reasons. It's small and the staff is outstanding. One time we were checking in and my buddy asked me for a light. The bellman didn't remember who needed a light so He brought us all lighters to our rooms. One of the guys didn't even smoke. The night guy Eban will take good care of you. If you bring a chica to your room he holds them in the lobby when they leave and gives you a call to make sure everything is ok. Excellent service. The rooms are ok but they have 4 Sr rooms I recommend springing the extra for. All four have a terrace and whirlpool baths and big beds. Breakfast is included

As an extra bonus, they have a deal with Southern Winds Airline where they trade rooms for flight crews for flight vouchers which they turn around and sell. This gives you two things, one cheap travel in the interior and two there are always 30 to 40 smoking hot young flight attendents staying at this hotel. I took a few of them out and slept with one of them. It is indeed a target rich environment.

About a year ago they just stopped having rooms for me. I don't know why but every time I emailed them they said they were full. I think it's because they were getting full price for their rooms and didn't want to discount one to me. I really can't recommend them too highly. I miss staying there and may just have to pay the full rate to return.

Now I stay at the Wilton Palace and am happy with them. they are a little bigger of a hotel and I like the location better. It's on Callao between Sante Fe and Arnales. Good service, decent rooms, nice gym on the top floor and a two minute walk to 1707. I pay $45.00 USD.

A fellow monger PM'ed me for my thoughts on where to stay. I wrote this and tried to send it but then his mailbox was full. Rather than waste all of that effort, I decided to post it so that he can see it. Perhaps it will be useful to someone else.

As far as where to stay, I guess a lot depends on how well off you are and how much you are willing to spend. I'm a poor teacher, so I had to go cheap.

I live in Florida and found a package deal out of Miami from an agency: www.analietours.com. Both times I went it covered airfare, hotel with breakfast, transfer to and from the airport, a 3 hour bus tour (which sucked), and supplement for traveling single, for $885 the first time and $995 the second. The second time was on one day notice, with a direct flight, and I picked a little bit more expensive hotel because of the location.

Forget the city tour and take one with Roxana. She will teach you the real history of the country from a populist point of view. She is a delight and it is well worth spending time with her!

The first hotel was better, the Savoy Golden Tulip. Not fancy, but no problems at all. A bit away from the downtown, by the Congress, but less than a five peso taxi ride to anything I wanted to see. Still a vibrant area in the middle of the city.

The second was the Waldorf Hotel, which has a great sounding name but had a lot of problems. Very little hot water, lots of noise, worthless breakfast, problems with the phone. But it was one block from Cafe Orleans and Cutty Sark, six blocks from the Golden Triangle, and eight blocks from Excedra. The location was awesome but I wouldn't stay there again. There are other hotels similarly located that must be better.

Maybe I should have been afraid walking this route alone as late as 4 AM, but I never felt the least bit threatened.

The other area that guys stay is at Recoleta. Much more upscale than my city location. It is considerably more touristy and Americanized, and more expensive, but not prohibitively so. I want to one fellows "Diplomatic Suite" at the Etoille Hotel there, and it was absolutely awesome - three rooms, large balcony with a great view of the cemetary and the river, a Jacuzzi, wet bar, etc. He said that he paid only $68 US per night but I don't know if believe him. He did say that he booked it through Mayra from the board, so I would ask her if she can get that rate for you.

There are many other choices, but the first thing is to decide if you want to be downtown or in Recoleta. I love the pulse of the city so it was downtown for me.

DB

DH,

You've never had a problem and I've never had a problem but that doesn't keep deserted areas late at night from making me nervous. My guess is that it's safer than it feels.

Some of my nervousness might be from Rio being my first exposure to South America. Wandering around Copa at night alone is asking for trouble. More likely it's from living in a marginal part of Brooklyn for a couple of years when I was in my early 20's.

Easy Go

Thanks guys.

I am surprised.
    I thought most of the nightlife was around the Marriott area, and only the pro bars were in Recoleta.

I had planned to do some normal bars first.
    But if there is not much around the Marriott I must re-consider.

Normally the Marriott's have the best location. I thought the airline staff stay there.

Thanks again

It puzzles me that a couple of guys have posted that the area around the Howard Johnson has an "unsafe feel." That is my turf and I wander around there very late at night quite frequently, usually quite drunk, and I've never felt unsafe. I'm not a big guy either, although I am a mean son of a *****.

TM,

I stayed at the Pestana earlier this month and liked it. A suite with a king bed, whirlpool tub, free high speed Internet, and full breakfast was $U159/night booked through Mayra. Good location if you want to be near the triangle.

I also stayed at the Howard Johnson on Florida. It's $U65/night for a standard room through Mayra. It's very close to the Marriott. Don't let the name fool you, it's a nice hotel. King bed, high speed internet, and breakfast (but not as good as the Pestana). Only drawback is that it's right on the mall so it's a short walk from a taxi. I didn't like it as much as the Pestana but then it's quite a bit cheaper.

The whole Marriott/Pestana/HJ area is more deserted at night than Recoleta which gives it a different, less safe, feel. I've never heard about any problems in the area but perhaps somebody with more local knowledge can comment about safety. I've spent about a dozen nights there and never had a problem but that doesn't really mean much.

Easy Go

TM,
    I concur with Stormy. If you're interested in Recoleta, Loi Suites (look under Argentina links) is the Best of the Bunch that I have tried.
    MM
    PS. Stay away from Etoile if you like Marriotts

The Marriott is excellent and in a perfect location for the triangle clubs, but is a short cab ride away from the Recoleta clubs.
    The Marriott will be about 150 with a 21 percent tax that will take it up to about 180, at least a recent check of their web site indicated that.

As far as non-pro activities go, some one else needs to comment.

Stormy

Hi Guys

I am looking for a hotel up to about $180/night in November.

Which area/ hotel would you suggest.
    I am thinking of around the Marriott or the Recoletta area.

I was looking for a safe area near to the normal bars and clubs, but not too far from the pro places.

I read the Kilkenny is very good, near the Marriott.

Not sure if it's any good for non pros though?

Thanks

Posting Limitations