Thread: Top Restaurants In BsAs

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Hunt99

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoj
    And an awesome parilla to follow.

Argento is absolutely right to suggest not to deviate from the local fare. But there are two types he fails to mention.

Another P for Peruano. If you know where to go, the Peruvian food in Buenos Aires is great.

And also, food from the north is awesome, including humitas, tamales, guiso, and lentejas. Though some might consider this a subset of parilla.
    I agree with the Peruano but that is a different issue. It is prepared and cooked by Peruanos for Peruanos. I really was referring to Argentinos and their food cooking. On the matter of grillled cheese. Tasty but it is hardly a meal. The northern fare is Indian alto plano and really is common to alto plano Peru, Bolivia and western Paraguay. And I agree that it is good. Very hard to find in Buenos Aires and if you do get it in the downtown area, expensive. Not a great fan of the guiso, ie beef stew. Normally full of fat and gristle and rarely cooked long enough. Avoid if your teeth are not fit for prolonged chewing.

Argento

Just had Provoleta

And an awesome parilla to follow.

Argento is absolutely right to suggest not to deviate from the local fare. But there are two types he fails to mention.

Another P for Peruano. If you know where to go, the Peruvian food in Buenos Aires is great.

And also, food from the north is awesome, including humitas, tamales, guiso, and lentejas. Though some might consider this a subset of parilla.

Where can I find a plunger?

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre
    You mean ¨Butt-Plug¨Cheese?

Forgot about that!

Made the mistake of just eating Provoleta one day for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Bad Idea!

TL
    "I'm like a big mouse, I can't get enough cheese"

I must say I love provoleta. More than once, I have brought half of it home in a doggy bag, put it in the fridge and had it for breakfast.

BP Cheese!

Quote Originally Posted by Damman
    Argento, can we add Provoleta? Am living proof life can be sustained on Provoleta. That stuff is right up there with sex: sometimes.
    You mean ¨Butt-Plug¨Cheese?

Forgot about that!

Made the mistake of just eating Provoleta one day for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Bad Idea!

TL

Argento,

Can we add Provoleta? Am living proof life can be sustained on Provoleta. That stuff is right up there with sex: sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornoir
    What is it about the best restaurants that make them better than others in Buenos Aires. I know that some things that we expect in the States at a restaurant are not present in BA such as the Argentine closing hour that does not change nightly. But what do my fellow mongers in BA expect from a good restaurant and what it is they just accept from restaurants?
    Take it from me with 21 years of living here. Don't stray from the 3 "P's".

Pasta.

Parilla.

Pizza.

If you do you will be f-ucked over because they do not know how to cook and prepare anything else. What you will get is shitty food at exorbitant prices. Or just as bad, shitty food, period.

On the other side, they do these 3 things so well that the only problem is that it gets boring. Bit like getting the beautiful chica that rings the bell at a 10, and having her 3 times a day for 10 years. Boring.

Having eaten with a cross section of visiting mongers over the past 3 years, most have diverse tastes. One size does not fit all.

Argento

Variety and Spice!

Quote Originally Posted by Cornoir
    What is it about the best restaurants that make them better than others in Buenos Aires. I know that some things that we expect in the States at a restaurant are not present in BA such as the Argentine closing hour that does not change nightly. But what do my fellow mongers in BA expect from a good restaurant and what it is they just accept from restaurants?
    Every single restaurant seems to have the same menu!

Empanadas.

Pizza.

Pasta.

Milanesa.

Lomo.

Bife de Chorizo.

Really Boring!

Zero Spice!

If you stray away from the local diet you really get fucked!

Awful Mexican, Vietnamese, Chinese, Tai, etc, etc.

Just tasteless, spiceless crap!

Frozen seafood with microscopic sized shrimp.

I found a fish market that has FROZEN lobster tails for over $300.00 pesos!

That would be my cost.

I have found numerous Peruvian restos that are good enough though.

I basically eat a RAW LOMO every day these days.

Straight from the fridge to my plate with a selection of hot sauce.

A lot of rabbit food to push it through.

Been eating this for about 4 years now.

I did make a big batch of Fijoles a la Charra yesterday.

That would be Mexican Red Beans.

Tomorrow they will become Refried Beans.

I actually took a pot full of the beans over to Daisy's place so the girls could try them out today.

They liked the beans but they were not into the dessert thing!

Trying to get her talked into bringing down a few newbies from the Paraguayan Jungle so we can poke on them.

Maybe 5 to 6 girls in a much larger and nicer place but it will be 24 hours a day.

Oh well!

Have Fun!

TL.

P. S - Hey Cornoir!

How are you buddy?

Coming down soon?

Hope your doing well!

Opinions - What's lacking in BA restaurants?

Quote Originally Posted by Damman
    For pastas, Di Michele in Las Canitas. Not the typical preppy place for the area: old school Italian. For me, it is a must do each week and very reasonable prices. Try the Fusilli al filleto.

599 Luis Campos
    Sometimes know as " La Cucina de Michele"

For pastas, Di Michele in Las Canitas. Not the typical preppy place for the area: old school Italian. For me, it is a must do each week and very reasonable prices. Try the Fusilli al filleto.

599 Luis Campos

Retired Member

I've never been to France so I can't comment.

Bring $300 peso's so your be sure to have enough "Platta" since your wine is going to be the big varrible.

The service was excellent since I was with Rioman who is a friend of the owner.

Try the roast Pork Loin, its to die for.

This place is World Class.

Exon

Appreciate the tip. But three questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Exon123
    Petanque in San Telmo its a French restaurant and kick ass.

http://www.brasseriepetanque.com/

My new favorite.

Exon
    Hey Exon,

Appreciate the tip. But three questions:

Just how authentic is the food compared to a Paris brasserie? (I won't ask about the service because the hauteur of French waiters is obviously inimitable.)

The menu on the website doesn't show prices. What is the approximate cost for a dinner for two with a good Argentinian wine?

Any recomendations from the menu?

Thanks

Retired Member

Try This One Hunt

Petanque in San Telmo its a French restaurant and kick ass.

http://www.brasseriepetanque.com/

My new favorite.

Exon

BTG here is a big fan of Oviedo

This is an upscale, Spanish restaurant with a very European feel to it. It is pretty expensive, like Las Lilas, but the clientele is much more upper end Portenos than it is overpaying tourists. Open for dinner only, I'm almost positive.

One thing I really like about it is the variety of food on the menu. Unlike many of the other best restaurants in BA, which are primarily steak houses and thus start to feel all a bit the same, this one is truly continental, with interesting dishes and creative sauces, and it is that rare Argentine place where you can really get good fish dishes, and shellfish. As a Spanish restaurant, you can get an excellent seafood paella there (it's one of their specialties) But meat and poultry are also excellent here. I had a sort of fancy pork rib dish the time I was there.

It is located in Recoleta, or Bario Norte maybe technically, at Beruti 2602 (cross street: Ecuador) In a broader sense, this is pretty near Av. Santa Fe and Puerrydon. Reservations are a good idea:

Phone: 11-4821-3741 or 11-4822-5415 are the numbers I have, but that might not be current.
    Last edited by Big Travel Guy; 04-20-10 at 14:04. Reason: punctuation

Top Restaurants In BsAs

OK, so here is a request for information unrelated to pussy.

It has been several years since my last trip to BsAs, and I may return some time in the not-too-distant future. Share with me your recommendation for the top restaurant in Buenos Aires - using whichever standard that you like. You can leave Cabana Las Lilas off the list, I know that one. But in addition to naming it, tell us a little bit about why it is a top choice. If you want to name more than one, have at it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Posting Limitations