Thread: La Chacrita at Junin 1721

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Wild Walleye

And a cute hostess

Is Belem (usually wears her hair hanging down and practically covering one eye) still there? She looks great in those tight black pants. Almost makes me wish I owned a restaurant (not). Give my regards to Herman and Romano (waiters). The proveleta, in my opinion, is pretty damn good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Chezz  [View Original Post]
    I've always liked this this place, even when it was called El Parrillon de Recoleta. I was sitting at the counter there about 8 years ago when I met Flexible Horn and Exon for the first time. I continue to return, as even with the name changes the food still stays pretty consistantly high. Great Bife Chorizo, fresh Arugula and Parm salad and decent wine peices. I'm always looking for Parrillas that have good wines in the 375ml bottles and this place has a decent selection.

Excellent service, I enjoy the free empanada they always bring out, and Monday thru Friday they have free ice cream for dessert. Add in free wi-fi (strong signal) and free glass of champagne after the meal and it adds up to a good dining experience at a fair price in a good location. And yes I agree, lots of locals is a good sign.
    They also have an awesome lunch special at around 75AR, but don't get the skirt steak (entraņa) , the portion is about 1/2 of what it should be, NY Strip (bife de chorizo) a much better choice, bigger portion. They also do a nice provoleta. (Provolone Cheese Barbequed, topped with oregano) Also, the have an asador, with goat, baby pig, lamb, beef ribs and flank steak. One of my favorite restos in Recoleta.

Fred.

www.silverstarcar.com

Premium Airport Transfers and City Tours in BsAs

Thumbs up La Lorenza

I've always liked this this place, even when it was called El Parrillon de Recoleta. I was sitting at the counter there about 8 years ago when I met Flexible Horn and Exon for the first time. I continue to return, as even with the name changes the food still stays pretty consistantly high. Great Bife Chorizo, fresh Arugula and Parm salad and decent wine peices. I'm always looking for Parrillas that have good wines in the 375ml bottles and this place has a decent selection.

Excellent service, I enjoy the free empanada they always bring out, and Monday thru Friday they have free ice cream for dessert. Add in free wi-fi (strong signal) and free glass of champagne after the meal and it adds up to a good dining experience at a fair price in a good location. And yes I agree, lots of locals is a good sign.

I think it's now called La Lorenza

Visited the feria during the day. Took some pictures at the cemetary. Walked by this place. Some police activity. According to Victoria, one of the "greeters" at La Lorenza, a young couple had the dine and dash (or known as the "chew and screw" but that's a double-entendre on this forum) and anyway I decided to have dinner here and it was good. Ojo de bife was tasty but a tad tough. Service was great from Ramon. Good wines. Had a bottle of 2006 Norton Cab. Was given a beef pastele gratis to start.. ordered the provaleta, tomato&lechuga salad, fries, ojo de bife, postre, cappuccino and a bottle of mineral water. Cost was about $250pesos. I decided to eat inside at a table next to the window for lady watching as it was a tad on the cool side so skipped the outside tables. During my time lots of local families came in for dinner. That is usually a good sign.

Name Change

I noticed a new name on the window (La Lorensa, I believe. I think it must have changed over the weekend because I could swear I saw the old name on the window within 72 hours.

I saw the usual crew of waiters, so I spoke with one of them. He said everything is pretty much the same, just a new name.

I have not eaten here recently. Maybe today.

I reveal myself for the tourista that I am

Quote Originally Posted by Amantelondres  [View Original Post]
    So what's the name of this restaurant where you get a perfectly good jugoso steak? I get it every time at the Mirasol.
    La Chacrita at 1721 Junin, next door to NewPort.

I know that this place gets painted as a tourist place and that some think it over priced. However, I like it (which is really all that matters when I am picking up the tab. You can sit outside and people watch (all the chicas going to work. The proveleta is excellent (both plain and napoletana) and the bife de chorizo and bife de ojo are excellent. The bife bleu (or whatever it is called with bleu cheese) was good, however, it was swimming in melted bleu cheese. When I make it I prefer to place a couple of chunks of Roquefort (brought to room temperature before you start cooking) on it just prior to serving (after letting the meat 'set up' after taking it off the heat) so that you have warm, soft bleu cheese on top rather than completely melted and runny cheese all over. The wine selection is good and not ridiculously over priced (again, IMO.

The location is perfect for dinner (at the resto) and dessert ('to go' from NP.

Disclosure left out of my prior post about steak and restos, I have not yet eaten at L'alliance. I am told (and believe) that TL knows how to cook a steak.

Steak

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye  [View Original Post]
    In my opinion, Argentina is a great place to find great steaks. The only problem is that, in my experience, most Argentine restaurants over cook them. Am I ordering it wrong or is there another tip you bilingual guys can offer?

I like my steak medium rare. I have probably had 60-100 ojo de bifes in Bs As at some of the finest restaurants in town. Almost always, despite ordering them 'jugoso' (pronouced "hoo-go-so' (or so I am told) they deliver a great piece of beef that has been overcooked. I am not sure if this is due to the chef not cooking it right or the wait staff not getting it to the table in time (before it cooks itself through) or me not ordering properly.

At one of the places I go often (touristy place in Recoleta, I have discussed this with a couple of the waiters (in what must sound like a symphony of cats being strangled) and I get a perfectly cook steak each time.
    So what's the name of this restaurant where you get a perfectly good jugoso steak? I get it every time at the Mirasol.

La Chacrita at Junin 1721

In my opinion, Argentina is a great place to find great steaks. The only problem is that, in my experience, most Argentine restaurants over cook them. Am I ordering it wrong or is there another tip you bilingual guys can offer?

I like my steak medium rare. I have probably had 60-100 ojo de bifes in Bs As at some of the finest restaurants in town. Almost always, despite ordering them 'jugoso' (pronouced "hoo-go-so' (or so I am told) they deliver a great piece of beef that has been overcooked. I am not sure if this is due to the chef not cooking it right or the wait staff not getting it to the table in time (before it cooks itself through) or me not ordering properly.

At one of the places I go often (touristy place in Recoleta, I have discussed this with a couple of the waiters (in what must sound like a symphony of cats being strangled) and I get a perfectly cook steak each time.

Posting Limitations