Thread: PHO Vietnamese Noodles

+ Submit Report
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
This blog is moderated by Member #1164

Pho and Southeast Asian Food

When I am in Buenos Aires and tired of the Argentina menu of loma, pasta, pollo, enslalada and more loma, I make a reservation at Cocinae Sunae,http://www.cocinasunae.com, a puerto terra, which has great Southeast Asian cuisine and whose chef is Christiana Sunae. The Pho great, but not always on the menu. Good value for the price which is always changing due to inflation.

For those who do not know, it is a different type of hot and it really goes well with the soup and the rice noodles. For sure try the BA chinatown first. It seems like it is a common condiment in the chinatown stores up here. From what I remember when I visited the BA chinatown supermarket it was well stocked. Don't forget to ask the grocery store clerks. Bring a picture of it and it will help because a lot of them don't speak english. They might have some stuffed in the back somewhere. For their own food I am sure the chinese spice up their food and eat what they make for the local Argentines.

As a suggestion maybe some of the restaurants have it and you can buy it from them. I see that someone has a given you a recipe to make it. If you can find the peppers in chinatown by all means try the recipe

Also I understand that when you make the broth you need bones that have marrow in it. I also understand that you need to simmer for around 8 hours to get the best flavour. Apparently the longer you simmer the better the taste. The first and last youtube video in my one post seems to be the best

Just thinking about it makes me kind of hungry. This is a youtube video with Anthnoy Bourdain. He loves the stuff

http://talk.onevietnam.org/pho/

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    P. S. Peruvian restos have been known to provide excellent spicy Ceviche and Empire Tai did offer sweating while eating soups.

There are a few Curry Houses too.

The spice to look for is called rocotto or locotto I think. And the Puta Parios, about a tenth of the burn as a jalap.
    You can get Locoto in powder form in little packets or you can get fresh locoto peppers at most green grocers (especially those owned by Bolivians). The locoto is MUCH hotter than the jalapeņo. It has a Scoville rating of 50, 000 to 250, 000 while the jalapeņos' rating is 2, 500 to 10, 000.

At one time you could get good spicy food at Empire (pseudo Thai) but the quality lowered a lot and the service was atrocious. I hear now they have changed owners and it's not called Empire any more and that the quality is better but I haven't been there so I can't say if this is true.

I have heard very good reports about Lotus Neo Thai on Ortega y Gasset 1782 and for those searching for Vietnamese food I have also heard good things about Cocina Sunae on Roseti street between 14 de Julio and Heredia.

I haven't checked these restaurants out myself but as I say I have had good reports.

Sriracha

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Walleye  [View Original Post]
    http://www.cookhacker.com/wp-content...2/sriracha.jpg

I whipped up some burritos tonight (beef, cheese, beans, peppers, onions, jalapenos and olives) , two of my kids (7&13) splattered them with a little fire sauce.

I made Vietnamese last week.
    Http://www.food52.com/recipes/6441_f...e_made_rooster

Go to Chino Barrio, buy some red peppers and follow the above recipe for rooster sauce.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Post:

Spicy

http://www.cookhacker.com/wp-content...2/sriracha.jpg

I whipped up some burritos tonight (beef, cheese, beans, peppers, onions, jalapenos and olives) , two of my kids (7&13) splattered them with a little fire sauce.

I made Vietnamese last week.

The Only Thing Spicy in BA is the Women!

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Time  [View Original Post]
    Don't want to rub it in but I had two large bowls of pho for lunch on the weekend up here in Toronto. Each at different restaurants. Very tasty. I like to have it once in a while. But I always feel too full afterwards. And you can't beat the price. The last place I visited was full of young white canadians so I knew it was of good quality. I hope that the Vietnamese location that you will visit will have the real thing for you. I have had inferior versions of pho in smaller towns in Ontario and beleive me it is not the same. I visited BA chinatown last year and the food was not the same as the food up here in Toronto. Not even close. I know that Argentineans don't seem to like spicy food but even for me it was way too bland
    The locals are absolutely terrified of anything that resembles Spice, even black pepper, it's a joke.

Hooter's hottest wings in Puerto Madero are dumbed down and the girls are not hot either.

I have 4 unopened bottles of Dave's Insanity Sauce which is unedible to me but some of you guys might be able to stomach it.

DR, I will give you a bottle if you like super hot sauces.

The key to dining out in BA is to ALWAYS bring along a bottle of Hot Sauce, at a minimum some Tabasco.

Just put it in your pocket or try to get some of the tiny pouches like Frank's Hot sauce, etc.

At one time I had about 80 different bottles of hot sauces at the resto.

Made the locals cry!

TL.

P. S. Peruvian restos have been known to provide excellent spicy Ceviche and Empire Tai did offer sweating while eating soups.

There are a few Curry Houses too.

The spice to look for is called rocotto or locotto I think. And the Puta Parios, about a tenth of the burn as a jalap.

These recipes look like the real thing. From what I understand you can leave out the fish sauce and apply it to your own bowl when you are ready to eat. That way the broth will look clearer when you first serve it. On the other hand may be you should follow the recipe and add it into the pot. Follow what the pros tell you to do...you can go wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtUsc...eature=related ..... I think this is a really good link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6polgG9EyY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imdVKGm-RKU ..... I think this is a really good link

Quote Originally Posted by Quality Time  [View Original Post]
    Why don't you make your own pho? Plenty of recipes on the internet. I might be coming back to BA. When I do, I can bring sirracha hot sauce if it is not available down there. I assume you can get the dry noodles in the chinatown grocery store
    I could, Bun is easy, Pho's all about the broth. Normally in the states you're looking at 6 bucks for a bowl. If I find a real noodle house here it'll be about the same. No way I can be that price vs ease, making stock for one person just doesn't pay off. If not I'll make it and have noodle house night here at the AP house. A couple bottles of sirracha would go along way to making new friends here for sure. I'll make a run to Belgrano and check my asian market and see if they have it and let you know.

I appreciate the thought

Why don't you make your own pho? Plenty of recipes on the internet. I might be coming back to BA. When I do, I can bring sirracha hot sauce if it is not available down there. I assume you can get the dry noodles in the chinatown grocery store

Don't want to rub it in but I had two large bowls of pho for lunch on the weekend up here in Toronto. Each at different restaurants. Very tasty. I like to have it once in a while. But I always feel too full afterwards. And you can't beat the price. The last place I visited was full of young white canadians so I knew it was of good quality. I hope that the Vietnamese location that you will visit will have the real thing for you. I have had inferior versions of pho in smaller towns in Ontario and beleive me it is not the same. I visited BA chinatown last year and the food was not the same as the food up here in Toronto. Not even close. I know that Argentineans don't seem to like spicy food but even for me it was way too bland

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Star  [View Original Post]
    Awesome, I miss PHO big time too, and Green Bamboo is not what I'm used to. If you can provide exact details of the event, please do. I like Vietnamese Ice Coffee as well, even havue my own coffee makers here!

Fred
    Green Bamboo has Cafe Suda (but I didn't try it. I need to though, because if they are sourcing Cafe du Monde someplace I need to find out where) they do however have a sauce that is pretty freaking close to Sriracha if it's not actual Sriracha. The market next to todos contentos is pretty good for hard to find stuff.

The email I got said

"El sabado 3 de noviembre a partir de las 14hs, habra una exposicion libre why gratuita en el centro why alli te daremos fechas para comida tipica como pho, bun, nem, etc de vietnam."

I don't remember the address but it's close to Borges why Solar on Borges. If you're heading towards Sante Fe it's on the left.

Web is http://www.centrovietnamargentina.org/

Facebook is https://www.facebook.com/Centro.Vietnam.Argentina

Telephone 4779-9657

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Rulz  [View Original Post]
    My desire for some good Pho is reaching crisis level. The other day I was in Palermo and saw a sign on a door saying the building was the cultural center for Vietnam. Thinking that they have to know someplace for some good noodles I shot off an email asking for recomendations. I recieved an answer today. On Saturday the 3rd of November at 2:00 there will be a little cooking thing there showcasing bun, pho, and nem. My hope is this will be like a "taste of" sort of thing and some noodle houses will bring some food. This monger intends to attend and any and all rapscallions are welcomed to tag along.
    Awesome, I miss PHO big time too, and Green Bamboo is not what I'm used to. If you can provide exact details of the event, please do. I like Vietnamese Ice Coffee as well, even have my own coffee makers here!

Fred

Vietnamese Cultural Center

My desire for some good Pho is reaching crisis level. The other day I was in Palermo and saw a sign on a door saying the building was the cultural center for Vietnam. Thinking that they have to know someplace for some good noodles I shot off an email asking for recomendations. I recieved an answer today. On Saturday the 3rd of November at 2:00 there will be a little cooking thing there showcasing bun, pho, and nem. My hope is this will be like a "taste of" sort of thing and some noodle houses will bring some food. This monger intends to attend and any and all rapscallions are welcomed to tag along.

Green Bamboo

Costa Rica 5802 I had the spring rolls and the pho. Both were dumbed down versions suitable for local palates. The spring rolls had shrimp, pork and the veggies one expects but no peanut sauce. They did however come with a sauce that was pretty close to real Sriracha Sauce. I need to ask them if I can buy some. The pho was unlike any I have ever had or have seen before. It had big, big hunks of chicken, nearly whole pieces of bok choy with some cilantro, basil and lime on the side. Oddest thing, no anise or licorice flavor in the broth. To round out the uninspiring offer as usual the noodles were cooked far past al dente. With a bottle of water my damage was right at 200P for the meal.

My evil companion had pot stickers and the chicken curry. Both he said he enjoyed and looked better than my food, though the curry barely had any rice.

Price was high but not too high considering the barrio. The Vietnamese was truly dreadful so my search for a noodle house continues. I prolly wouldn't go back meself, but I think my buddy will continue to eat their curry with a side of rice as it's close to his place.

Other reviews http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._District.html

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

I am no expert on asian food and I never have eaten the noodles in Gibraltar but they have them on the menu. The green curry is pretty good and spicy

Posting Limitations