This blog is moderated by Zappaman

Notorius

Notorius is definitely more "yuppie". As for the talent. Depends. I've seen good / great players in there but I am sure there are clunker nights too. Virasoro was definitely not "cheap" either but I am not sure of the drink price breakdown. My bill was a combo of dinner for two, bottle of vino, water, and cover charge.

The group (quartet) last night was spectacular, particulary the pianist and the bass stood out but the quarted flowed well as a group. Played in two shifts, was there for the first show but they offered we could stay for the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Psyche  [View Original Post]
    I had a good time in thelonious, but not in Notorious. Cover was US$10 and a beer was about$4 in Notorious. High for BA. Just like Miles Davis, the band began playing half an hour late, and they couldn't play at all. It was a joke.

I had a good time in thelonious, but not in Notorious. Cover was US$10 and a beer was about$4 in Notorious. High for BA. Just like Miles Davis, the band began playing half an hour late, and they couldn't play at all. It was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappaman  [View Original Post]
    Buenos Aires has always had a smallish but high quality Jazz club scene. Virasoro is one club I was not previously aware of but I can now recommend. The food menu was simple but the food itself was good. Ambience of the club is great. Definitely a "jazz club", but it easily is described as small and it's a bit cramped once all the patrons flock in. The music, at least via the band last night, was superb and the room accoustics were as well.

If you dig quality jazz and want also to get a bite to eat. I recommend Virasoro. However, it might be best to call ahead. I think we were lucky last night by doing a "walk in".

Of course, Notorious and the Thelonious Club are also two other excellent choices.

Zappaman

Virasoro Jazz club and restaurant Guatemala 4328 Palermo

Buenos Aires has always had a smallish but high quality Jazz club scene. Virasoro is one club I was not previously aware of but I can now recommend. The food menu was simple but the food itself was good. Ambience of the club is great. Definitely a "jazz club", but it easily is described as small and it's a bit cramped once all the patrons flock in. The music, at least via the band last night, was superb and the room accoustics were as well.

If you dig quality jazz and want also to get a bite to eat. I recommend Virasoro. However, it might be best to call ahead. I think we were lucky last night by doing a "walk in".

Of course, Notorious and the Thelonious Club are also two other excellent choices.

Zappaman

Posting Limitations