This blog is moderated by Carnal Urges
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomQuestion  [View Original Post]
    .And paying is even easier. You can use a credit card, paypal, whatever. The site pays the landlord AFTER you arrive and agree to accept the apartment.
    Now THAT sounds nice. I'm all about making things as easy as possibly. Too much other confusion in the world today than to have to deal with even more.

Thanks for the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by RandomQuestion  [View Original Post]
    .And some people also list rooms for rent for very cheap. Not that that's necessarily a great option.
    /sigh / Oh, the room thing. Thanks for mentioning. It's just that it brings back too many frustrating memories. Spent way too many times renting rooms from people in other countries and way too many times in hostels. Depends on the person, but I just can't take anymore the lesser freedom, the noise, the unexpected surprises, etc etc you get the idea.

I have some chances to live in some nice spots in Europe, but would have to rent their room, and obviously due to high costs there, renting my own place is out of the budget.

It's partly why BA seems like a possible option again. At least you can have your own decent place and not be breaking the bank, even considering today's prices.

One can not understate the essence of having your own place. What's even better is when you don't have to rent, but actually OWN a place.

The spots in Western Europe would be nice, but IMHO, not so much for the lady situation. Things seem to flow better in S. Am, for me at least.

After all that rambling in my posts above, I think it's best to just stop analyzing, begin and take it piece by piece. I'm sure something will come through.

I know other's here will think I'm crazy (save the flames) , but I'm shooting for something of the bare basics for absolute max $500 / month, basic utilities included. Ideally shooting for $450. .

Don't need a house phone, tv, or other extras.

Worst case, there are a couple nearby places to consider if costs are too much.

Good Website for Apartments

When I came down to BA I rented an apartment using the site Airbnb (www.airbnb.com).

It's a great site that handles private rentals worldwide. I like it because the owners usually post lots of pictures; there are recommendations and comments by people who previously stayed in the apartment; and you can easily search by very specific locations (it's integrated with Google Maps). And paying is even easier. You can use a credit card, paypal, whatever. The site pays the landlord AFTER you arrive and agree to accept the apartment.

Granted, many of the apartments are more expensive now, but I also found many listings in the cheaper range. And some people also list rooms for rent for very cheap. Not that that's necessarily a great option.

Anyway, I'm very satisfied with my experience.

Administrator

Venues: 398

Good Argentine website for tracking inflation.

Good Argentine website for tracking inflation.

http://www.inflacionverdadera.com/

You're welcome.

The lists of cheapest places are fairly good. They do in fact show BA dropping down the list each year.

Here are some resources:

www.matadornetwork.com

www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

www.howmuchabroad.com

www.xpatulator.com

www.priceoftravel.com

www.xpatulator.com

Although I like BA in general and thought of returning, reality is reality, and like quite a few other people out there, budget can be the shaping factor.

Possibly, may simply not be able to afford it.

It may be sort of a downer having to go by lists to figure out where one might move, but again if finances were not a large factor, it wouldn't be so.

Some places on those lists, no thank you! I'm totally all set with being in Ethiopia, Ghana, or parts of India, as some examples, and also when you'd like some decent female engagement.

There are a couple spots in east europe but I really wonder just how budget they are and just how good the women scene is.

I can't really imagine any cheaper than BA, but you never know.

Certainly south asia almost always makes the tops of the lists. Been there before. Had a good stay. But this tour around, was looking to stay away from the shake up and some of that BS you get in the 3rd / 4th world places, in general.

Although not ruling it out as situations (mainly financial) may be pointing me there, especially the more I hear about BA's financial situation (and a few things of politics).

The women of south asia are not my type, but you can still of course very easily engage and that sort of helps compensate. Just not so fun having to settle.

Much rather be in SAm for example.

Think it's time to check the father forum where there are discussions of other countries and see what some of the scoop is.

Although not ruling out BA.

In this circle we travel, I know there are the types that discourage others from arriving with gloomy negative reports to keep the place from getting overrun and this is understandable in some ways.

I can see though here that the reports sound accurate.

In summary,

Really just confused basically. Don't know what to do.

Pardon the long rambling and thanks for those who have read.

I would not trust those statistics that BA is still as cheap as it once was. Did they get the numbers from the Govt or walk though a grocery store? I am shocked by the inflation perosnaly.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy Go  [View Original Post]
    But the beer in question didn't increase from 6 to 8 pesos, it increased from 6 to 13. Most things are up at least 25% annually for at least the last 5 years. The exchange rate helps but the real costs are up sharply for almost everything except short-term apartment rentals and chicas. They are up as well but not nearly as much as food and drink.
    Ok this makes sense then.

Most of the prices I've been recently checking into are the 2 most important, shelter & chicas. Who needs the food and drink anyway! LOL.

What's killing me most right now in my current place is rent, so BA might still be a load off.

Last time there, had a nice apartment, small but nice, popular spot all included for just under $400 per month. It was a reality, not a price to be shooting for the stars.

Hoping to find something like that again, that's my rent budget, while others here do that per WEEK. Haven't begun checking the several sites so not sure yet.

Yet considering as Easy Go mentioned, apartments haven't increased too much, and considering the better exchange, it should be possible again.

To be honest though, part of the allure to BA (like to many others) , were the great deals across the board. To not be stressing so much about how much your spending.

I see it's lost some of that appeal.

Checking current world's cheapest cities, BA is still ranked fairly cheap, cheap enough I suppose.

Although possibly may consider another place as financial is a big shaper for me. But where? Yeah yeah, there's south asia, but I liked BA. To be frank, I've sort of tired of the thirid / fourth world lifestyle. It has some perks but just not up for it. The $2 meal and $0. 50 beer is a great feel, but for the rest you put up with it, just not really worth it.

Maybe east europe, but I don't think it's super cheap there. As well sort of has a drab dark feel at times, like looming remnants of war.

Looks like it may be BA afterall. Just have to suck up the loss in value and still appreciate the good that is there. No sense clinging to the past and saying,"oh remember the days?"

Still a huge plus in regards to chicas is the high availability and an active helpful resource such as this forum. Hearing other people's reports saves so much time, effort, money and headaches.

Although, what about nearby Paraguay for breaking up a stay? Capital city cheaper than BA? Chica situation good enough?

Thanks to worldtravel for the updated BA lists (May2011) , of which I assume the prices have been updated. What a task! That's a lot of work. Great help!

Seeing those costs, gives hope that things still are within budget.

Ok enough babbling.

CARNAL URGES-PM Jackson admin / owner re staying in AP House while looking around

AP HOUSE is maybe 1/3 the price of a 3 to 4 star hotel and you get a locked 2 room suite and run of the mansions with many benefit.

I walked by the burger king on santa fe it is 40 pesos for a whopper meal. How do the locals afford it?

But the beer in question didn't increase from 6 to 8 pesos, it increased from 6 to 13. Most things are up at least 25% annually for at least the last 5 years. The exchange rate helps but the real costs are up sharply for almost everything except short-term apartment rentals and chicas. They are up as well but not nearly as much as food and drink.

I'm thinking on that line.

Except to keep it simpler, just book a budget hotel for a week and then hit the streets checking out apartments.

Having booked online apartment rentals before, emails back and forth, wiring deposits, giving extra details, just is easier to do the hotel thing to start with.

This time around, would much rather be there in person, at an office, to book an apartment and also to of course see it in person.

Maybe risk less places being available, but I'm sure in lower season there'd still be something reasonably priced available.

To re-mention, the issue comes because I just don't know how long to book. I could be there 2 months or 2 years. I'm open for whatever, but as of right now, I don't know. So how does one commit. Also you don't really know your new living quarters until 2 or 3 months in, so how do you book for 6 months or more. And what if you lose the chance to book more time 2 or 3 months in after you finally realize the place is fine and you're staying longer, because someone else already booked. What confusion. I have to be missing something! Guess I'm just an odd exception.

Obviously it's all personal. We all make our own decisions and factors particular to each of us.

I was only looking for how some others take on this type of juggling act, tightrope walk when they are unsure how long they are staying, ideally planning to stay longer but never knowing.

Would just like a decent place from get go and not have to worry if near the end of your 2 month booking you decided you want to carry on, but the place you settled into and realize you like, has been booked out. That's just a daily nagging uncertainty. Been there before until I asked the agent of a popular company if they could book out another few months without having to pay for all those months upfront or putting a deposit, as long as I showed up each month to pay it was fine. It was low season, that's probably why. Rare exception I'm sure.

Sure was a relief, had the longer security, yet I could easily leave early if needed, and wouldn't you know, I needed to. They just checked out the place, gave back the deposit and off I went to the next spot.

Maybe there are no others that face this. Or if they do, they just don't care and simply book a new place. Or maybe some just book a long stay and have no gripes about a large deposit and if they need to leave early.

Wait, I think I know the more common case. Seems many here are of the partial travel types. Ones who know their exact periods of stay because they are leaving their home country and returning at a set point (I. E. Back to work, to a family, etc.). Must be nice to have that certainty.

Pardon if I just sound confused and rambling on, because I am.

It'll be fine. So, enough of that already.

Look forward to eventually hanging there and meeting some board members, whoever's around.

I noticed there has been inflation, but alongside that, the exchange rate has gotten better, from 3:1 to 4:1, so wouldn't that help equal out price of back when?

I. E. If a beer was 6p in 2008@3:1 ($2) , but increased with inflation to 8p, but at a better exchange of 4:1, that's still $2. So where is the referral to BA being more expensive coming from?

Maybe just inflation in certain places such as food. ?

P. S, Jackson, I checked out the article at your site. Nice read. As well as the clear info on how you run your op. Nice setup.

Thanks.

Why not come to BA and rent a temporary apartment for a week or two while you look for a long term place?

Thanks Jackson.

Guess the no-contract thing is probably not such a wise move. Shouldn't go on my several past experiences in other countries. Just count it as good luck that there were no issues.

Ok so forget the apartment rental thing from locals.

What do you suggest, or what is the typical route long term renters take in order to better long-term secure a place (without booking out a whole year when they don't even know the apartment or neighbors) , a place that they don't know in their first day will be suitable 4 or 8 months from then.

Do most just book a small stay first, then later in, if the place is still available, book more time? If not, then leave, stay in a hotel while they get another place.

Maybe a long term hotel stay is an option. Get a monthly rate. Most likely they won't book out your room as long as you stay in it and keep paying.

At the end of the month they simply ask "do you want to continue renting another month?" You have the easy option to say simply yes or no based on current events.

Did this before and it worked well. Only downside, of course more expensive and no kitchen.

Thinking about, I guess there's really no ideal way.

The countries I rented in before where it was just pay as you go and no contract, guess I was just lucky to happen upon really nice landlords.

Will probably just book a short term hotel stay, check out apartment agencies and the apartments, book a few months and go from there.

If the place gets booked while I'm in it, mid-way through before getting a chance to finally decide to book longer, then so be it.

The uncertainty stinks, but it's reality.

Was just seeing if anyone might of had some tips, ideas, etc. Was trying to find a way to better ease that shaky uncertainty.

Thanks anyway.

Administrator

Venues: 398
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnal Urges  [View Original Post]
    Would prefer the more typical route like in other countries, rent from a local, no contract. Is it possible in BsAs? It must be. There have to be some locals that'll do it.
    Let me see if I understand this:

You want to rent an apartment from a Argentino with NO contract, not so much as a single document evidencing your right to occupy the apartment and the cash you provided as your damage security deposit.

Man, you've got some big brass balls!

Did it occur to you that you might want a contract to prove to any security personnel and / or the tourist police that you had the right to occupy the apartment?

Did you think about the possibility that some enterprising Argentino apartment owner would lock you out one day because he got a better offer, not to mention the difficulties in getting your damage security deposit back when you can't even prove that one was tendered in the first place?

A friend of mine in the apartment rental business here in BA wrote a webpage titled "Common Rental Apartment Scams in Argentina" that I believe you might find insightful as it illustrates the Argentina way of doing business, which I would summarise as follows:

As an Argentino, if someone gives you an opportunity to fuck them, it would be incorrect of you not to take advantage of that opportunity.

http://www.apartmentsinba.com/rentalscams.html

Thanks,

Jackson

FYI, A lot of Argentinos advertise their apartments for rent on craigslist.

Pay-As-You-Go Apartment Renting?

Any suggestions?

This is a two part question.

Trying to search the forum for this specific question didn't work so well. Surprised there was nothing found on this.

PART I:

Lived in BsAs for several months, had a nice experience renting a tourist apartment from an agency.

Didn't really think of returning to BsAs, although found the city really nice, but finding an itch surfacing and so considering it. Also for who knows why, never partook of the nice fruits there but will be different the next time around, and consult this board more often, that's the best bet. The clubs scared me off thinking they'd be scams, and never knew of the many priv.

That's the brief opening.

The frustration while renting these types of tourist apartments is as follows:

You're abroad, looking at apartments online which never paints an accurate picture, and besides, is there a noisy elevator right next to your wall not mentioned in the listing.

Maybe also you're the type that is not sure how long you want to stay in BsAs. Hard to commit to anything when you might be up in the air about the apartments or the city or anything in the future.

Contracts give me the shivers! All sorts of life events could come up and cut short your stays. It's hard to even say you'll be alive tomorrow let alone commit to a 6 month or 1 year booking.

Say you book the first time for 3 months. Great, now you're x-ed off on their calendar, so no other happy tourist / traveler can book your place and you have security knowing you have a place.

Now here's the tough part, you're going along in your new place. Your feeling things out, still not sure of any unpleasant surprises that may surface at your apartment, and still not sure if maybe you should be trying Rio this time around, and so you hesitate to book a longer stay.

Your first month is great, now into the 2nd. Still not full sure if you should book more time, but now your stressing because some other tourist / traveler could be getting online to the same site, at any hour of any day, and booking out your place for months four, five, etc. Or maybe they already did!

It's this uncertainty that just nags at you. As well as that whole "should or, or shouldn't I"? For booking more time or not. Wait too long and maybe the place is booked out. Book out more time too soon and maybe some unexpected event will come up.

What are your thoughts, suggestions on how to handle this type of stress when booking tourist apartments?

It's annoying to have to pack up where you might have made yourself a little home and be moving on to other apartments, especially if you end up liking your first place.

If you're flexible and don't care and you're place got booked out, at the end of the booking, you stay at a hotel for a week, check other apartments, and move in a new one, but you still might not want to commit to too long, even if your time in BsAs is going well. Call it commitment phobia.

See Part II for what would ideally be desired.

Prior time in BsAs, booked a short time, ended up liking things, but didn't have the deposit and certainty to outright book more months, thankfully though the nice agent x-ed off more months on the calendar without asking for anything more. This probably is quite rare.

PART II:

Pay-As-You-Go.

Several other countries I lived, I was able to check local ads and rent an apartment direct from the owner. No contracts. Pay-as-you-go. It worked out very well. Also was a huge load lifted. Knowing that as long as I paid each month, there'd be a place (except if the landlord decided to no longer rent). The point being, you didn't have to stress if at any moment someone else was going to book out your place.

Sure, you don't have the law on your side if things go wrong at the apartment, but most times, things are fine.

Some hotels are good like this. You check in and as long as you keep paying each day, cash at the counter (or charging to your card) , you're room is x-ed off to any other bookings.

This would be the ideal set up.

About renting from locals in BsAs. Well aware of the tough regulations of even locals needing to be vouched for, contracts, etc. But I have lived in other countries where they too also have the same tough laws and you can usually find rentals in local ads where the person will rent to a foreigner without a contract, pay-as-you-go.

How about it?

Would prefer the more typical route like in other countries, rent from a local, no contract. Is it possible in BsAs? It must be. There have to be some locals that'll do it.

Or any other ideas, suggestions.

Long post, but the details for this specific area are necessary.

Muchas gracias!

Posting Limitations