Thread: Taxi Ripoffs

+ Submit Report
This blog is moderated by Christopherd
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Yes, I normally tip 50 to 75% in Argentina because these poor people deserve it. Typically in a privado I will tip 100 to 200 pesos on top of the regular fee. Money means nothing to me.
    Now, let's not be so humble Mr. Head. Your philanthropy has been and is most certainly still is much broader than that. I personally recall the time you snuck an extra 500 pesos into into a chica's g-string after I nimbly (with my perfect Castellano) negotiated a 25 peso TLN with a 9. 2 chica at Black's one night. Telling me angrily,"someone has to provide for her kids, you fuck!" and then punched me in the nuts. I've never been the same since (as my right nut still hurts. 'course that could be for other reasons as well.).

Never Tip Taxi Drivers!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopherd  [View Original Post]
    Well perhaps you are, as you say, a dickhead.

But slow down before you call someone else a cheat, buddy. I could have written that story any number of ways. But the taxi driver clearly told me to forget the difference. It wasn't that big a deal; nor is it that uncommon. Get over it, for goodness sake. I'm guessing you're maybe American and therefore often over-tip anyway so isn't it swings and roundabouts? And if it's only 70 cents, is it really worth getting het up about and calling another forum names over?

Some posts are to provoke thought in a helpful way. Judging from the number of posts against your name, I'm guessing you've made a few useful posts at least. That last one wasn't one of them, so let's overlook it.

Take care, live long.
    Never tip taxi drivers!

Only dumb Americans do it!

TL

Checking money

While we have this thread called taxi rip-offs, it's maybe worth quoting what I believe is official tourist cambio advice.

"Memorize the last two digits of your banknotes of legal tender when paying at different means of transports, restaurants or shops to avoid them to be exchanged for counterfeit ones."

T-J incorrectly assumed I'd handed over a 100 peso note, which would have been an ideal situation for it to be switched for a fake, as he described. If you do hand a large note over and it is switched, you might have a struggle to prove it: but if you know the last two digits at least you're in with a chance.

(And if you're still getting emotional about the original story, please re-read and look at the actual facts, choices in the situation and so on. Getting all gooey and emotional about simple transactions is something to be avoided unless you are in complete control by the way. It clouds your alertness, awareness, judgement and ability to act rationally.)

Quote Originally Posted by AllIWantIsLove  [View Original Post]
    Cheating bad."Uncommon" doesn't make it OK. Cheating by taking advantage of someone's kindness sad.

Bob
    And who exactly cheated anyone?

Cheating

Cheating bad. "Uncommon" doesn't make it OK. Cheating by taking advantage of someone's kindness sad.

Bob

Yes, I normally tip 50 to 75% in Argentina because these poor people deserve it. Typically in a privado I will tip 100 to 200 pesos on top of the regular fee. Money means nothing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Christ, and I thought I was a dickhead. Cheating some taxista out of 70 cents is pretty low class.
    Well perhaps you are, as you say, a dickhead.

But slow down before you call someone else a cheat, buddy. I could have written that story any number of ways. But the taxi driver clearly told me to forget the difference. It wasn't that big a deal; nor is it that uncommon. Get over it, for goodness sake. I'm guessing you're maybe American and therefore often over-tip anyway so isn't it swings and roundabouts? And if it's only 70 cents, is it really worth getting het up about and calling another forum names over??

Some posts are to provoke thought in a helpful way. Judging from the number of posts against your name, I'm guessing you've made a few useful posts at least. That last one wasn't one of them, so let's overlook it.

Take care, live long.

Christ, and I thought I was a dickhead. Cheating some taxista out of 70 cents is pretty low class.

Quote Originally Posted by TejanoLibre  [View Original Post]
    How to get FUCKED by a Taxi :

You arrive at your destination and you hand him your HUN.

He accepts it for a moment and then claims to not have any change and hands it back with a smile
    Errrrr no! That would be really dumb!

The Hunner never left my hand of course. Duh!

How to GET GRIFTED by a TAXI!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopherd  [View Original Post]
    This is a trick that frequently works. .

I walked some of the way back from Constitucuon then decided to get a cab. Fare came to about 18 something. I get three 5peso bills out, held together in a rubber band. Slo-mo (important: a bit like one is inebriated but honestly doing one's best). Examine each one carefully as he watches.

Now I've got several 100 peso bills but no way I want 80 change in taxi bills. So I put th 15 in his hand and tell him to wait. While I slowly and laboriously make a thorough search of all my other pockets (which I know are empty). Picking my moment, I extract a 100 peso bill from the lining of my shoe, hold it up to the light, forlornly examining it to see if it really is 100. I motion for him to give me my 15 back. Of course he doesn't. He kindly let's me off the difference.

This trick (with some variations. Eg best when dressed well) can also work in a cafe sometimes when in company. One only has such a large bill that the cafe doesn't want to change it. Someone else usually offers to pay.
    How to get FUCKED by a Taxi :

You arrive at your destination and you hand him your HUN.

He accepts it for a moment and then claims to not have any change and hands it back with a smile and.

Says OK let's just make it an even $15. 00 pesos.

You get out of the cab smiling and he rides away laughing really hard!

He just switched YOUR real hunsky for his Fake as shit HUNSKY!

These guys are quicker than you!

I get FREE Taxi rides all the time!

Every fucking Titty Bar in town pays commissions to the Taxi drivers if they bring clients.

Except Catto's.

Large commissions!

Up to $140. 00 per person in a 4 person cab.

Adds up.

The trick is to tell the taxi driver that you have never been to xyz bar and are willing to tell the doorman that if he let's you ride for free.

TL.

P. S. The GARBAGE in ONCE is worse than Constitucion!

Muito obrigado, amigo! .

Quote Originally Posted by David_33  [View Original Post]
    Well as a gentleman I can tell you that your last post will not be well received.
    Not by the vocal majority. But a little bit of streetwise doesn't hurt people. You will notice, if you are a discerning gentleman, that the cafe example can be a tip to the lowlife or a nod to the wise (so they are the wiser and see such things coming). Much as I appreciated your advice (and may even investigate it after using my more natural born senses) , I'm afraid I do find a lot of the forum a little stuck up. No offence, and it's not very welcoming, but I not only try to contribute but see my posts generally are, in spite of your assertion, very much welcomed (I invite you to go back and check if you must).

Neither am I on such a 'tight budget' that I am forced to economise unduly. As you would know if you saw the sums I expend on tango, opera and the carnaval. But getting sycophantic about paying ridiculous sums of money to women of the night just for sex, no more than a basic need, is a tad pathetic. The lure of Kundry (to those that appreciate the metaphor).

Kindest regards.

Well as a gentleman I can tell you that your last post will not be well received.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to David_33 For This Post:

Arrow Taxi Ripoffs

This is a trick that frequently works. .

I walked some of the way back from Constitucuon then decided to get a cab. Fare came to about 18 something. I get three 5peso bills out, held together in a rubber band. Slo-mo (important: a bit like one is inebriated but honestly doing one's best). Examine each one carefully as he watches.

Now I've got several 100 peso bills but no way I want 80 change in taxi bills. So I put th 15 in his hand and tell him to wait. While I slowly and laboriously make a thorough search of all my other pockets (which I know are empty). Picking my moment, I extract a 100 peso bill from the lining of my shoe, hold it up to the light, forlornly examining it to see if it really is 100. I motion for him to give me my 15 back. Of course he doesn't. He kindly let's me off the difference.

This trick (with some variations. Eg best when dressed well) can also work in a cafe sometimes when in company. One only has such a large bill that the cafe doesn't want to change it. Someone else usually offers to pay.

Posting Limitations