This blog is moderated by Wasabi
    Thanks everyone this has been a massive help.

Oh yeah sydney is number 7 on the most expensive cities to live. moved from 40 to number 7 while still number 2 for richest cities in the world where only Zurich beats us... come on Sydney hahaha

I currently pay 8000 pesos to rent a 1 bedroom apartment which is nice but no bills or maid LOL... Electricity is 460 Pesos a month Cable TV per month is 460 Pesos a month Internet is 250 Pesos a month.. this really expensive here guys.. having said that the average income is 300,000 pesos per year and working at McDonalds you can not earn less than 150,000 pesos per year that's minimum wage..

So Sydney is a very expensive city to live in. but you can earn good money pretty easily too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky  [View Original Post]
    Mr. Wasabi,

If you haven't already mentioned it before, what is it in particular that draws you to BA out of all the cities in the world?

Is it because you have lived here before and feel comfortable with it?

It is something about the BA women or mix thereof?

Cost of living? Climate? Cosmopolitan feel? Food? Culture? A special girlfriend?

And what's the tax situation for your earnings?

OK just wondering here.
    I first went to BA knowing nothing about the city apart from a little research on this website. I could not even say a word in spanish. I didn't know anyone.

Yet for some reason I felt at home. I never had this in the USA or many of the other countries I visited.

Yes the girls are cute and life is cheaper but really I think the appeal is how I feel in Buenos Aires. Don't get me wrong Sydney is easily my favorite city in the world but I really enjoy BA it's easy to relax. Sydney also has smoking hot chicas from all over the globe but I love the Latino girls, how they talk. I think also the women in brazil were beautiful but the quality in Argentina was on average far more beautiful than brazil.

I also like the attention that comes with being foreign. That seems to impress the girls pretty easy. Just turn on the "Gedday Mate" accent and it seems to work wonders hahaha Yeah I found the girls easy to pick up but I think that was just me being over confident because I was on holidays and pretty cut at the time from going to the gym every day.

I get paid into an Australian bank account and get paid in aussie dollars so hopefully that won't be an issue for a short visit. I guess I'll have to work something out if I stay longer than a month so I don't get in deep shit LOL.

Mr. Wasabi,

If you haven't already mentioned it before, what is it in particular that draws you to BA out of all the cities in the world?

Is it because you have lived here before and feel comfortable with it?

It is something about the BA women or mix thereof?

Cost of living? Climate? Cosmopolitan feel? Food? Culture? A special girlfriend?

And what's the tax situation for your earnings?

OK just wondering here.

Cost of living

And today's The Economist puts BA as the 102nd most expensive city in the world. New ork 42nd Montevideo 66th.

[QUOTE=Gandolf50; 421023]

Quote Originally Posted by Black Shirt  [View Original Post]
    Plus I don't pay rent.

With a modest $56U$D investment back in 2002 I bought my first property. I have been buying and selling since then and while its not a lot of money by US standards I have been able to live comfortably. I can even afford to eat out at the AP clubhouse once in a while! .

[QUOTE=Black Shirt; 421020]

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    Thanks for your detailed and very informative summary. I like the maid part best of all.
    Plus I don't pay rent.

With a modest $56KU$D investment back in 2002 I bought my first property. I have been buying and selling since then and while its not a lot of money by US standards I have been able to live comfortably. I can even afford to eat out at the AP clubhouse once in a while! .

You know how to have fun

[QUOTE=Gandolf50; 421017]

Quote Originally Posted by Black Shirt  [View Original Post]
    Rough costs, and as you say every ones tastes and as a result costs will vary.

1) Housing: Checking in the paper, rents go from $1000p to $5000p monthly. Personally if you are going to spend a year I would go to a lower profile area area such as Cabillito where the area is nice but the rents much lower.

2) electric: I average around $100p monthly. This varies from town to town depending on the provider.

3) Phone / internet : around $200p monthly. I know you can do better in the city where you will most likely live as there are more providers. Where I live I am stuck with good old Telfonica.

4) Cable / dish : $175p monthly.

5) Cell phones for me and my ama de cama : $250p monthly.

6) Food for two (in house) : $1. 600p monthly.

7) Eating out twice a week (for two) : $900p monthly.

The above is what it takes to survive. Plus if you rent furnished it will cost more, if not you need to buy furniture. Etc. So far I am at around $3. 500p monthly plus rent. Say $8. 500 with rent.

8) Entertainment : Here you have vast choices. If you follow the footsteps of most of the people on this forum your $50k U$D a year will only last three months. If you speak a little spanish and are actually living here you can do much better. For example :

A) I have a in house or as I call her "Ama de Cama" cost is included in the numbers above. In other words I have a maid who puts out and all I do is support her.

B) I have a little 20 yr old non pro spinner who lost her job (she has one child) we meet around 3 times a week at $150 a pop. Sometimes I need to pay for a hotel. Average cost about $2000p monthly. Then I have a 35 yr old "X" pro who I have been seeing for about 10 yrs. I see her around 6 times a month for a average of $1500p monthly. Then there are the occasional freebies or "can you fix my lights and I will take care of you when my boyfriend goes to work" routines. So if you look at above I have "entertainment" every day if I wish for under $4000p monthly. Of course this takes a little time to arrange, but if you are living here, you have the time!

Conclusion: Living costs: Approx $3. 500p.

Entertainment : Approx $4. 000p.

Total: $7. 500p monthly PLUS RENT!

So even if you go high end rent you are still only at around $12. 500p monthly so you would have a nice "cushion" This is all based on my day to day living expenses. Cost can vary as I am sure you realize depending on your taste and or lack of self control.
    Thanks for your detailed and very informative summary. I like the maid part best of all.

[QUOTE=Black Shirt; 420992]

Things are very much more expensive here then 2 years ago. Many things have increased by 100% But if you are coming with dollars, at least for the moment there is a VERY favorable exchange. You can live comfortably on 50K if you are not throwing your money away. For example going to Blacks or Madhados is throwing away a fortune! 50k a year gives you 20K monthly in pesos. Very few here (argies) earn more then 10k a month. Also remember the "average" standard of living here is less then you are accustomed too. [/QUOTE.

Can you would break it down for us in a general way. That is, $50K a year, or about $4, 000 a month. Everybody's spending habits differ, of course, but just curious.
    Rough costs, and as you say every ones tastes and as a result costs will vary.

1) Housing: Checking in the paper, rents go from $1000p to $5000p monthly. Personally if you are going to spend a year I would go to a lower profile area area such as Cabillito where the area is nice but the rents much lower.

2) electric: I average around $100p monthly. This varies from town to town depending on the provider.

3) Phone / internet : around $200p monthly. I know you can do better in the city where you will most likely live as there are more providers. Where I live I am stuck with good old Telfonica.

4) Cable / dish : $175p monthly.

5) Cell phones for me and my ama de cama : $250p monthly.

6) Food for two (in house) : $1. 600p monthly.

7) Eating out twice a week (for two) : $900p monthly.

The above is what it takes to survive. Plus if you rent furnished it will cost more, if not you need to buy furniture. Etc. So far I am at around $3. 500p monthly plus rent. Say $8. 500 with rent.

8) Entertainment : Here you have vast choices. If you follow the footsteps of most of the people on this forum your $50k U$D a year will only last three months. If you speak a little spanish and are actually living here you can do much better. For example :

A) I have a in house or as I call her "Ama de Cama" cost is included in the numbers above. In other words I have a maid who puts out and all I do is support her.

B) I have a little 20 yr old non pro spinner who lost her job (she has one child) we meet around 3 times a week at $150 a pop. Sometimes I need to pay for a hotel. Average cost about $2000p monthly. Then I have a 35 yr old "X" pro who I have been seeing for about 10 yrs. I see her around 6 times a month for a average of $1500p monthly. Then there are the occasional freebies or "can you fix my lights and I will take care of you when my boyfriend goes to work" routines. So if you look at above I have "entertainment" every day if I wish for under $4000p monthly. Of course this takes a little time to arrange, but if you are living here, you have the time!

Conclusion: Living costs: Approx $3. 500p.

Entertainment : Approx $4. 000p.

Total: $7. 500p monthly PLUS RENT!

So even if you go high end rent you are still only at around $12. 500p monthly so you would have a nice "cushion" This is all based on my day to day living expenses. Cost can vary as I am sure you realize depending on your taste and or lack of self control.

[QUOTE=Black Shirt; 420992]

Things are very much more expensive here then 2 years ago. Many things have increased by 100% But if you are coming with dollars, at least for the moment there is a VERY favorable exchange. You can live comfortably on 50K if you are not throwing your money away. For example going to Blacks or Madhados is throwing away a fortune! 50k a year gives you 20K monthly in pesos. Very few here (argies) earn more then 10k a month. Also remember the "average" standard of living here is less then you are accustomed too. [/QUOTE.

Can you would break it down for us in a general way. That is, $50K a year, or about $4, 000 a month. Everybody's spending habits differ, of course, but just curious.
    Well I have an opportunity to leave a job for less money but I can work via the internet which means I can live in BA. 50k doesn't' sound like much money but I figured the cost of living will be heaps less than sydney. I know the price of Chica's is easily cheaper as the bottom of the barrel chicas cost like AU$90 or 410 pesos for half an hour and that's dirty asian girls who don't speak english. (although that can be fun if they can't understand what we say to them in english LOL)

And for girls to the same quality I found in Gysells place would cost 1000 pesos or more for half an hour and they would not BBBJ that's with a rubber on no cola.

Yep so you can all see why I want to do a year in BA

Interesting

[QUOTE=Gandolf50; 420987]Things are very much more expensive here then 2 years ago. Many things have increased by 100% But if you are coming with dollars, at least for the moment there is a VERY favorable exchange. You can live comfortably on 50K if you are not throwing your money away. For example going to Blacks or Madhados is throwing away a fortune! 50k a year gives you 20K monthly in pesos. Very few here (argies) earn more then 10k a month. Also remember the "average" standard of living here is less then you are accustomed too. [/QUOTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi  [View Original Post]
    Thanks Gandolf50, yeah I'm lucky the Aussie $ has actually risen over the US in the last few years quite strongly.

AU$1 buys US$1. 07 or higher which means AU$1 is $4. 6 pesos. It was $3. 4 pesos last time I visited in March 2010 so that should help me a little with this strong inflation.
    Be careful. While the rate for the U$D is strong now, other currencies such as the pound sterling don't do very well as there is less demand. You might want to change to U$D before you come if you can. You can not buy dollars here now, at least not at a good price.

Thanks Gandolf50, yeah I'm lucky the Aussie $ has actually risen over the US in the last few years quite strongly.

AU$1 buys US$1. 07 or higher which means AU$1 is $4. 6 pesos. It was $3. 4 pesos last time I visited in March 2010 so that should help me a little with this strong inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi  [View Original Post]
    Hi guys,

I'm wondering what kind of income I would need to live in BA, I know inflation has been a massive issue in the last 24 months since I last visited in 2010 March but how much more does everything cost.

Basically I plan to come for 1 month in September or October but look at staying for 12 m based on costs to live.

Is everything more expensive in the last 2 years?

Gym membership costs.

Rent for a nice modern 1 or 2 bedroom furnished place? I stayed in san telmo last time but perhaps Palermo or somewhere is better for an Aussie like me who is pretty social. Say I wanted to spend US$1000 per month for a furnished place and that would get me a 1 bedroom place in Palermo right? Where would it get a really nice 2 bedroom That's still a good area?

Food costs at restaurants

Grocery shopping costs.

Cell phone costs.

Wireless Internet costs and is there a good wireless high speed provider for mobile Internet?

Would US$50k per year be a decent amount of money for 12 months?

What do locals earn?

What is considered a good income in BA?

What would you spend to take a girl to dinner and a movie?

I'd be interested to know what some of the members spend to live in BA and what kind of lifestyle you have and things you do on weekends etc and what that costs.

I don't know much Spanish but plan to study there.

Any help would be appreciated.

I suppose I need to contribute something to this site rather than ask questions. Sorry guys anyone want to know stuff about Sydney Australia LOL.

Best ever,

Wasabi
    Things are very much more expensive here then 2 years ago. Many things have increased by 100% But if you are coming with dollars, at least for the moment there is a VERY favorable exchange. You can live comfortably on 50K if you are not throwing your money away. For example going to Blacks or Madhados is throwing away a fortune! 50k a year gives you 20K monthly in pesos. Very few here (argies) earn more then 10k a month. Also remember the "average" standard of living here is less then you are accustomed too.

Cost of living in BA for Aussie coming back

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what kind of income I would need to live in BA, I know inflation has been a massive issue in the last 24 months since I last visited in 2010 March but how much more does everything cost.

Basically I plan to come for 1 month in September or October but look at staying for 12 m based on costs to live.

Is everything more expensive in the last 2 years?

Gym membership costs.

Rent for a nice modern 1 or 2 bedroom furnished place? I stayed in san telmo last time but perhaps Palermo or somewhere is better for an Aussie like me who is pretty social. Say I wanted to spend US$1000 per month for a furnished place and that would get me a 1 bedroom place in Palermo right? Where would it get a really nice 2 bedroom That's still a good area?

Food costs at restaurants

Grocery shopping costs.

Cell phone costs.

Wireless Internet costs and is there a good wireless high speed provider for mobile Internet?

Would US$50k per year be a decent amount of money for 12 months?

What do locals earn?

What is considered a good income in BA?

What would you spend to take a girl to dinner and a movie?

I'd be interested to know what some of the members spend to live in BA and what kind of lifestyle you have and things you do on weekends etc and what that costs.

I don't know much Spanish but plan to study there.

Any help would be appreciated.

I suppose I need to contribute something to this site rather than ask questions. Sorry guys anyone want to know stuff about Sydney Australia LOL.

Best ever,

Wasabi