This blog is moderated by SunSeeker

Venues: 8
    Actually, recently I was involved in a discussion on another board in which an Argentine attorney who specializes in immigration and citizenship for foreigners talks about this 90 day visa thing.

Gandolf, we've had this discussion before and you've always mentioned that you'd never done the border crossing thing. At the time I thought it was a bit daring, but it turns out you've done the correct thing.

According to the attorney, particularly now with Cristina getting so "weird", one should attract the least attention from immigrations as possible if you are here on a tourist visa and intend to stay an extended period of time. The thought is that the unofficial official policy of letting people do that run could stop at any moment.

There have been cases recently where foreigners doing the run have had deportation notices issued against them. They have 30 days to regularize their visa status or face deportation, which means they have to apply for residency or citizenship (qualified for after living in the country for one year, even illegally). If they fail to do so, they are barred from entering the country for 5 years. If they know where you are, you'll get served the paper, but no one will come and get you. At least, not yet. The next time you leave the country, you will simply be denied entrance on your return. They don't have to serve you for this to go into effect at the end of 30 days.

Therefore, it's best not to make the run. Pay the fine if you leave and you'll probably be ok when you come back because you won't have a bunch of visa runs logged. If you are going to be here less than six months, you are allowed to extend your 90 day visa at immigrations which is supposed to be a relatively painless process. Anything more than 180 days, stay in country and pay the fine when you leave.

Thank you G!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandolf50  [View Original Post]
    I have been here for 6 years! You need to renew your visa every 90 days. You can renew once a year in country for another 90 days for 300p. You can take the ferry to Uruguay and spend the day or night and when you return your visa is good for another 90 days. If you overstay your visa its a 300p fine the next time you leave. If you don't return often I would just pay the fine at the airport when you leave.
    Thanks for the info Gandolf! Right now I base myself out of Rio but am looking to move as expenses are getting out of control here. I want to base myself somewhere in SA so I can travel around and not spend hours and hours on a plane. Stay in BA for 90 days, go to Colombia, Brazil, or somewhere for a trip, then return to BA. Sounds good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by SunSeeker  [View Original Post]
    Looking for info,

I'm a Canadian and am trying to find out the total days per year I could stay in BA as a tourist. I know I can stay for 90 days straight, then ask for another 90 days, but nowhere can I find out if 180 days is the most I could stay per year. I emailed the Argentine Embassy in Canada but got a link and the quote from their website.

Is it the same as Brazil where the total per year is 180 days? Any information regarding this would be appreciated.
    I have been here for 6 years! You need to renew your visa every 90 days. You can renew once a year in country for another 90 days for 300p. You can take the ferry to Uruguay and spend the day or night and when you return your visa is good for another 90 days. If you overstay your visa its a 300p fine the next time you leave. If you don't return often I would just pay the fine at the airport when you leave.

Total days per year as a Tourist

Looking for info,

I'm a Canadian and am trying to find out the total days per year I could stay in BA as a tourist. I know I can stay for 90 days straight, then ask for another 90 days, but nowhere can I find out if 180 days is the most I could stay per year. I emailed the Argentine Embassy in Canada but got a link and the quote from their website.

Is it the same as Brazil where the total per year is 180 days? Any information regarding this would be appreciated.

Posting Limitations