This blog is moderated by AllIWantIsLove

I have a collection of travel phones-simple, sturdy, loud, clear adngood battery life: V197 Moto

When I see an excellent condition from reliable seller, I buy another for under us$25. When they break, I throw them away. JeJeJe.

As to the ip address and streaming. I read on another forum that the internet providers for an extra charge can provide a simulated USA ip address. If I lived permanently in ba, I would do this.

Hulu and Amazon will work with a VPN or proxy service. They won't work unless the IP address is in the EEUU.

I would get a used iphone 3 cheap and use it here. ATT will unlock it for free now. I have a movistar prepaid chip and it has data access also. I can facebook from the depths of a privado.

Verizon phones use CDMA witch is not compatible with most of the world. In BA you need a GSM phone (att or tmobile).

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Bob  [View Original Post]
    The nexus will not work in ba, but hooks up to wifi and the vast majority of the apps work perfectly.
    Your Nexus should work, unless if it s a CDMA (Verizon) phone. If it is a GSM (ATT or T-Mobile) , it is just a matter of proper configuration of the APN. If you know you have a GSM phone, ping me and I'll help you set it up for BA.

Samsung nexus s w / vewrizon

Any suggestions on app's that are particularly good. I am running icecream sandwhich 4. 02 operating system. I have a vonage app on the phone so I can call Argentina free to landlines and for us. 085 to ba cells. I use the internet phone service at home and have a back line at work. Jackson got me to try vonage and it consistently has the highest quality service.

The nexus will not work in ba, but hooks up to wifi and the vast majority of the apps work perfectly. I can stream netflix in ba and mopve them on to any tv with a hmdi input with pretty good results. Hulu and amazon don't work. The vonage app on my android does not work in ba-vonage says that it requires cell service to work. My vonage box works to near perfection when cabled into a router running on a cable modem of. 5 megabit or better. Over 1. 0 megabits it sould better than the phone lines.

Yahoo messenger telephone is my preferred back-up-the sound quality varies-not as consistently good as vonage. I have skype but don't generally use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Looney  [View Original Post]
    (if their number there was for example 15 5123 4567) from the states is as follows: 011-54-9-11-51234567.

Here is a link with more information:

http://www.howtocallabroad.com/argentina/
    Just a small correction:

If the number in BA = 15 512 34567

Text from the USA = +54911 512 34567.

Use the + sign to start any international code when using a text message then add the international code, then the city code, finally the pin number.

International texts

Yes, your texts do get through, for me the charge was 20 cents per text but I did not have an international texting plan. And they can reply but it is expensive for them returning your texts, I don't know exactly but I know it is somewhat prohibitive. I would recommend using an application called Whatsapp, it is a texting app that allows you to make international texts free of charge, works both ways. You just have to get them to install it on their end as well. I know it works on android as well as the iphone, its free and pretty awesome. And while I am at it, for free international calls there is an application called Viber that allows you to make free calls to where ever the phone goes, but again you can only call people within the app so they have to have it on the other end, but hey, free calls. If you wish to still text the old fashioned way just remember you have to change some of the numbers, so the way you would text someone in BA (if their number there was for example 15 5123 4567) from the states is as follows: 011-54-9-11-51234567.

Here is a link with more information: http://www.howtocallabroad.com/argentina/

Personal has international texting but means your lady pays big bucks

Spyke has texting to an argentine smart phones with sypke or there are app's for both android and apple that have fee texting if both parties have the same app. As most working girls do not have iphone or androids it is likely not practical. I used to have blackberry and had argnetine friends with blackberries-blackberry texting works internationally. Years ago, I used nextel and there was free radio between nextel USA and nextel Argentina.

Back to reality. If emails and messenger doesn't work, I may pay the 50 cents to text that I will call at 20:00 and on the hour to midnight so the girl might answer a call with a wierd number on caller I'd.

Texting Between USA and BsAs

Does anyone have experience texting between the USA and BA? According to my cell phone plan I have "international" texting. But they don't mention specific countries. If my text message gets through to a favorita in BsAs will she be able to reply? And will it be reasonable (cost wise) or outrageous? Unfortunately I do not know which company she is with.

Thanks, Bob

Posting Limitations