This blog is moderated by Peter Sideburn

I'm Sure it's Good Enough

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleWrangler  [View Original Post]
    La Cabrera is a tourist place I'll not say ripoff, but...

What they do right?

Marketing at the hotels and tripadvisor.

And good service, english portuguese speaking waiters and good quality.

Quality is not bad, but prices are more expensive than in many cities of Europe.

AND Buenos Aires too.

Parrilla Don Julio, located in palermo soho as well may be about 60% ~ 70% of your bottom line ticket.

Keeping same service and quality.
    I'm sure that Parrilla Don Julio is good enough .

It may even be better than La Cabrera .

If someone is just passing through BA then either one should be Good Enough .

Fair enough .

If you decide to have dinner between 6:45pm and 7:59pm then La Cabrera will give you 40% off .

It's their little Off the Menu Special .

The best part about La Cabrera is the 10 or more Free side orders that come with your meal .

All You Can Eat .

Sort of Free . There is a cubierto involved .

That's good enough for me .

Thanks ,

TL.

Have yourself a 1 Kilo Steak !

Rare Baby !

Fuck the Tourist !

We are All Tourist !

La Cabrera is a tourist place I'll not say ripoff, but...

What they do right?

Marketing at the hotels and tripadvisor.

And good service, english portuguese speaking waiters and good quality.

Quality is not bad, but prices are more expensive than in many cities of Europe.

AND Buenos Aires too.

Parrilla Don Julio, located in palermo soho as well may be about 60% ~ 70% of your bottom line ticket.

Keeping same service and quality.

3. 12-02-14 03:47

For A Steak ?

Quote Originally Posted by EngMrP  [View Original Post]
    Hi Guys. Im new here and Im argentinean. Am i welcomed? LOL. Hope its OK for you and sorry for my english.

I agree that argentinean food is uninspired and flat. Ive always said that, but it has reason: as you all know, we are well known around the world for our asados and the excellent quality of our meat. Paradoxically this was negative for our cousin. No one cares about Foie gras as long as we throw a piece of meat to the parilla and we obtain the best asado in the world.

However you should consider our country is very big and has tons of regional food. So dont judge argentinean food for what you had in Buenos Aires only.
    For a Steak ?

"La Cabrera" is Good Enough for ANY of you !

There are 3 Cabreras on the same block .

They are ALL packed .

They must be doing something right .

It's good enough for Anybody !

TL.

What do you expect for a few pesos ?

About argentinean food

Hi Guys. I'm new here and I'm argentinean. Am I welcomed? LOL. Hope its OK for you and sorry for my english.

I agree that argentinean food is uninspired and flat. I've always said that, but it has reason: As you all know, we are well known around the world for our asados and the excellent quality of our meat. Paradoxically this was negative for our cousin. No one cares about Foie gras as long as we throw a piece of meat to the parilla and we obtain the best asado in the world.

However you should consider our country is very big and has tons of regional food. So don't judge argentinean food for what you had in Buenos Aires only.

Tegui

If you love food then this place is not to be missed. I've been fortunate enough to eat there several times, and I never miss an opportunity - especially with the blue rate. I have also had the pleasure of dining at Sucre, and while not on the level of Tegui, it is certainly recommendable.

More food for thought: Link to recent article in Wall Street Journal

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Boss Man For This Post:

I didn't see that

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Daddy, you make good points but none of that was what Argentina's reputation was based on, back when I made my post in 2008, and you know it.
    Apologies, I thought it was current. You are correct, in 2008 the food here fucking sucked.

Daddy, you make good points but none of that was what Argentina's reputation was based on, back when I made my post in 2008, and you know it.

It's hard to say whether argies are more short-sighted or more stupid. So the government read an Econ 101 text about "shipping good apples overseas." They fucked with export quotas to export the best cuts and leave the crap cuts in the supermarkets. I believe it was '06 when the government introduced a market basket of goods whose price was frozen for 18 months. This "market basket" included only these crap cuts.

Then soy prices went up. Greedy argies forgot that commodity prices are cyclical. They also forgot that excess profits attract competition and drive prices down to where producers earn a normal rate of return again. Argies then reduced grazing acreage and increased soybean production. The government wanted to continue to export X tons of beef. So let's say the export goal was 50% of the original production, just as an example. That means if domestic production is cut 10%, domestic consumption must fall 20%, and so forth.

And then, yes, greedy argies began to introduce feed lots and all of that. That turned a differentiated product, famous free range argie beef, into just another commodity. And, Argentina is way too inefficient in all the aspects of the distribution chain to even begin to compete, let alone excel, in a globalized and commodified market. Again these policies result from a desperation for hard currencies and that, my fellow mongers, is good news for international consumers of pussy who have hard currency.

Simply not true

Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead  [View Original Post]
    Some day I will stop sugar coating it and tell you how I really feel. World's best food = Spain.
    Though I agree with this, Spain has been driving the culinary world for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomaso276  [View Original Post]
    "For the life of me I cannot imagine how Argentina ever got the reputation of having good food. It is bland beyond belief, completely unimaginative, poorly executed, badly presented, uniformly lukewarm, over salted and over sugared, and just plain puerile and juvenile in every regard. I would describe it as adolescent."

DH, could not agree more. And they are all dirty. But a guy's gotta eat.
    My short list for a weeks eating;.

Imagine Indian fusion tapas, seriously good not expensive eats. http://www.10best.com/destinations/a.../gran-dabbang/.

Pig, pig, pig if God made something that tasted better than pig he kept it for himself. Very inventive starters, no entrees only sandwiches but this pulled pork is fucking banging. Plus they make their own sweet pickles. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._District.html.

Almost as good as County Line in Austin. In fact it's kinda like being in Austin http://www.eltejanoba.com.ar/events/.

Really good, fresh, local, if the guy would stop wiping his nose while he cooked he would deserve a star http://www.gonzaloaramburu.com/.

Sammich shop, indian, south philly, argentine punk fusion sandwich shop in San Telmo. If you don't mind standing up to eat, hop on the 29 and get off at Estado Unidos and approach Lenny like a supplicant and ask him to make you something good. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._District.html.

Still haven't been able to get a table, but people who know food that I trust say it's an absolute must. http://www.theworlds50best.com/latin...-10/tegui.html.

Another one high on my list that I haven't been to yet http://www.theworlds50best.com/latin...-50/sucre.html.

Home made romin noodles, steamed buns that will make you want to go to the john and rub one out killer fucking dumplings http://fukuronoodlebar.com/gotfood/.

Korean BBQ in BsAs, you fucking bet. There will be 20-30 side plates of tapas along with all the beef, pork, and squid you wanna throw on the grill. http://theargentineexperience.com/blog/bbq-town/.

For my palette he underseasons but I'm a smoker. Another fresh, creative, great space, not badly priced http://www.marietarestaurant.com.ar/.

My current favorite and the place I'd eat once a week, Cordon Bleu trained, fresh fresh fresh fucking fresh, incredibly executed, perfectly presented, creative food. Just book a table and go tomorrow, get all eight courses, and enjoy. The menu changes every couple of days and the kitchen deserves the applause I give them as I leave. http://astorbistro.com/.

This doesn't begin to touch all the little places where I know people that are making really good inexpensive food with pride and care.

Everybody else is right though, the steaks really kind of suck now. If you want a really ass kicking American Style steak go here http://www.ruthschris.com/.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daddy Rulz For This Post:

Deline in the quality of Argentine beef

The real story is the decline in the quality of the average steak here. The decline in the last decade has been nothing short of staggering.

I'm not saying you still can't find a good steak by going to the right places for the right price. It is just that you used to be able to go mostly anywhere and get a great steak for a great price. The steaks were so good and I ate so many when I was here, there was a running joke. "I have to go home because I have half a cow in my colon.".

Over the years there has been such meddling by the government and the rise in soy bean prices, that beef production has changed dramatically. It used to be that mostly all beef was grass fed and from the best grasslands. Now the best agricultural lands have been converted to soy bean production and only a much smaller amount of crap grassland is used for beef production. Finally, they have learned beef production from the U.S. And that is NOT a good thing. Almost all production is now finished and fattened in corn silage feed lots.

Even going to the market for your own steaks and barbeque cuts is disheartening.

A Man Does Not Live On Pussy Alone

Quote Originally Posted by Tireseus  [View Original Post]
    Quite simply the best I've had in Argentina with the exception of an asado out in the back county in Malargue. You don't order, they just keep bringing food until you're full. It's right across from the football stadium in La Boca, right on one of the corners. Two bottles of wine (one good, the other exceptional - also chosen by the proprietor), a multitude of appetizers including chorizo and morcilla, tuna, lomo, bondiola, chickpea fritters - I truly can't remember it all. For three people it was 1,100 pesos - so roughly $80.00 USD at current blue rates. I've paid 10 times that in the US for worse.

Of course you have to be a bit careful in La Boca, but I think it's simply a matter of making sure you don't have anything flashy, like expensive rings or watches. And once you're in the restaurant you know you're safe. It's easy enough to take a taxi directly there.
    Thanks Man !

Once you factor in the cost of the armored car to take you there and back and the cost of the armed guard to stand by your table while you Enjoy your dinner it's still a decent deal .

A Little joking aside , I'm sure the food is excellent if you have Not been here for a while but if it's anywhere near that grotesque stadium in that horrible neighborhood then it's probably a tourist trap .

That does not mean that the food is overpriced or less tasteful .

Down here we have 2 kinds of food :

Country and Western !

You can take a menu from ANY restaurant in Any part of town and take it to Any restaurant in any part of town and they will have the SAME exact item on their menu for a peso or 2 more or a peso or 2 less .

ZERO variety or imagination down here when it comes to food .

I could understand if this was Germany but not Argentina .

Germany :

Lost 2 world wars in 25 years so they learned how to eat potatoes . Cabbage too . Great !

Meat in Argentina can be very , very good but you better bring along a little hot sauce for anything else .

And Yes Toymann , I would know .

TL.

Some day I will stop sugar coating it and tell you how I really feel. World's best food = Spain.

"For the life of me I cannot imagine how Argentina ever got the reputation of having good food. It is bland beyond belief, completely unimaginative, poorly executed, badly presented, uniformly lukewarm, over salted and over sugared, and just plain puerile and juvenile in every regard. I would describe it as adolescent."

DH, could not agree more. And they are all dirty. But a guy's gotta eat.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Thomaso276 For This Post:

Don Carlos in La Boca

Quite simply the best I've had in Argentina with the exception of an asado out in the back county in Malargue. You don't order, they just keep bringing food until you're full. It's right across from the football stadium in La Boca, right on one of the corners. Two bottles of wine (one good, the other exceptional - also chosen by the proprietor), a multitude of appetizers including chorizo and morcilla, tuna, lomo, bondiola, chickpea fritters - I truly can't remember it all. For three people it was 1,100 pesos - so roughly $80.00 USD at current blue rates. I've paid 10 times that in the US for worse.

Of course you have to be a bit careful in La Boca, but I think it's simply a matter of making sure you don't have anything flashy, like expensive rings or watches. And once you're in the restaurant you know you're safe. It's easy enough to take a taxi directly there.